• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1 sport or more

Started by mulerider12, January 11, 2007, 08:38:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mulerider12

How many kids play just 1 sport in HS? If only 1 in HS how about JO or other softball teams. Just would like to know. A lot play softball and basketball, or Volleyball. I know of some kids that have played 3 sports and were a cheerleader.....

momofcps

My DD plays volleyball,basketball and softball (school and travel). Her favorite is softball then volleyball then basketball. Her basketball coach is awesome-he totally understands that anything we do softball comes 1st(clinics etc...) Her volleyball coach -eh not so understanding. It is only a problem at summer camp time.No time for J O.
I know that now the kids are pushed to pick 1 sport. In my opinion I think that they should do as many as they want(within reason).And the grades come 1st.
The more they are involved in sports the less likely they will get into undesirable behavior !

busta

1 sport kid - softball.  High School and summer. 

Logchain20

I think it is healthy for a kid to play two sports.  It gives them a break.  But I would not do more than two.  A kid will become good at several but not great at any.

Rubicon

i think two sports is a good fit, especially if they have little or no over lap. My own DD gave up basketball this year. So we played fall fastpitch until end of Oct. with only the school volleyball over lapping. finished volleyball & went right back to pitching lessons all winter. Now we are ready for spring practice to begin. How we ever would have fit basketball in this year I haven't a clue.

Mamabear20

Mine plays volleyball and softball. In junior high she also played basketball. Once she hit high school she dropped basketball. She may not play volleyball in her senior year but it's because of the coach not because of the sport or carrying too much load. Softball is her passion and she would play year round if it was available. She likes volleyball but not enough to overcome the problems.

I think more than one sport is great if the girl can handle her academics fine. After all, they are STUDENT athletes and grades should come first. But as long as she can handle all of it, then go for it! Besides, the more active the less time for too many boys and other "nonsense" :)

Valleysports

Multiple sports make a better athlete.  Don't get upset, that's just the way it's always been!  Or maybe it's just that college level athletes are gifted enough physically to play several sports. Think of the college athletes that you know.  Were'nt they 2 or 3 sport stars in high school?  I just wish track and softball were not at the same time.  Track compliments every sport by developing speed that you just aren't going to get from running 10 or 20 sprints after practice.

Seems like a lot of college athletes are actually on academic scholarships, especially girls.  Score big on that ACT.   

Rubicon

Seems like a lot of college athletes are actually on academic scholarships, especially girls.  Score big on that ACT.   

EXACTLY!!!    thats what Emily Hanzlik (Wynne short stop) is going for. Her EXTRA  high ACT score has had a huge amount of schools after her to play fastpitch, volleyball, both. Last I talked to her dad she was still deciding. Another thing about going academic, you get hurt to where you can't play anymore ( it happens) or if you just get tired of the grind; you sill covered as long as grade point is high.   

pitcherperfect

rubicon i heard emily is going to williams babtist?

Rubicon

i haven't heard, next time I see Marcel (dad) I'll check

the holic probaby will now before I will

come on wynneaholic, give us n update

wynneaholic©

Brotha until season gets rollin I am not in the know!!!!  Personally I think she has way more talent than Williams Baptist, but that is a personal view.  I could see her playing for a much bigger program.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas