• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hiring Process

Started by BigLou, April 11, 2016, 10:30:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigLou

I was wondering if some of you (hopefully administrators, ADs/coaches, or school board members) could provide some insight into the hiring process for a teacher/coach in our state. I just turned 37 and will finish my MAT coursework over the summer, so I'm starting to apply for jobs all over the state. I am willing to move anywhere that the job takes me to complete my first year of TESS and get my degree and certification out of the way. In reading some of the posts on here, it sounds as though the chances are slim & none that even the smallest districts would hire me to be a baseball/basketball coach with no experience at the high school level, so I've been focusing on smaller schools that only need a teacher. In the past 5 years, I have turned my life upside down to chase a dream that I've had since I was in junior high, and I will not allow myself to stumble and fall over the finish line. That said, I am beginning to wonder if I've just wasted the last 5 years of my life and tens of thousands of dollars, or if I'm simply being impatient. Below are my biggest questions, and any additional insight sure would be appreciated.

Is my age an asset or a hindrance for even being considered?

Is my master's degree an asset or hindrance?

Are smaller districts going to be any easier to get into, considering the small-town politics/school boards?

Besides adding a content area to my license (which is Social Studies) is there anything else that I'm overlooking to increase my chances of getting an interview?

I have no assistants or 6'5" sons coming with me, and I recorded 0 wins last year. (Keep in mind I've never lost a game at the high school level either :)) — are these things really more important than your level of education, Praxis scores, and ability to teach a core subject 5-6 periods during of the day?

Finally, if there's one question that I would appreciate absolute honesty on — How much of it is who you know?

I appreciate your time & guidance and wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors!

-Lou

sevenof400

Quote from: BigLou on April 11, 2016, 10:30:56 am
Is my master's degree an asset or hindrance?

Are smaller districts going to be any easier to get into, considering the small-town politics/school boards?

Besides adding a content area to my license (which is Social Studies) is there anything else that I'm overlooking to increase my chances of getting an interview?

Finally, if there's one question that I would appreciate absolute honesty on — How much of it is who you know?

As someone who did the MAT route, well let's just say a lot of colleges promise there will be jobs out there but the reality is a good number of districts will NOT hire MAT graduates for a variety of reasons.  Conway is an example of this - they will not hire MAT graduates while at the same time a number of their faculty teach in the MAT program at UCA.  Ironic, isn't it? 

Welcome to the world of education. 

Your chances are much better at small districts AND your chances would be much better with math and / or science certifications.  Social Studies teachers are plentiful. 

One other idea - if you live near to a district where you might like to work, go through the process of becoming a substitute teacher for that district.  A fair number of hires occur from subs with certification because a need comes up and needs to be filled quickly.

OB11

On the coaching side of it I'll say this...

Don't just take any coaching job.  For example, if you want to coach baseball, don't take a girls volleyball job just so you can say you have some coaching experience.  If baseball is what you really want to do, look for a teaching job you would really want and then go to the baseball coach and see if you could volunteer if that teaching position wasn't tied in to coaching.  I don't know many coaches that would turn down a volunteer.  Get a year or two of experience in that sport and then go look for a baseball job somewhere.  I think volunteering in the sport you want looks a lot better on a resume than actually getting paid for a non related sport.  Some people may have a different opinion on that...but that is the advice I would give.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I'll address a couple of things here.

Age - If I were an administrator, I'd prefer to hire young to save money, but there are always questions of maturity, respect from the kids, and other things that I might be leery about. However, if I'm able to hire someone with a 37 year olds life experience for the price of a 22 year old kid, I would at least see what that guy brings to the table.  So I thing your age is an asset

How much of it is who you know? In the coaching profession, it's almost exclusively who you know. I lucked into my first job at Pulaski Academy because two teachers who graduated a year before had jobs there and then they just happen to have a coaching position open on the football staff.  My job at Harrison was through a buddy of a buddy, and my current job was just through networking connections.  As Oliver said, if you can't get a coaching job, volunteer and do a great job. If you're teaching and coaching the right way, you are more likely to get the breaks, but don't rush into it. Realize you've got about a 30 year journey, so don't wish any year away. Learn from the bad and the good. Just know that  in coaching, sometimes 1 year can seem like 5, and sometimes 5 years can seem like 1.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on April 11, 2016, 09:42:55 pm
I'll address a couple of things here.

Age - If I were an administrator, I'd prefer to hire young to save money, but there are always questions of maturity, respect from the kids, and other things that I might be leery about. However, if I'm able to hire someone with a 37 year olds life experience for the price of a 22 year old kid, I would at least see what that guy brings to the table.  So I thing your age is an asset

How much of it is who you know? In the coaching profession, it's almost exclusively who you know. I lucked into my first job at Pulaski Academy because two teachers who graduated a year before had jobs there and then they just happen to have a coaching position open on the football staff.  My job at Harrison was through a buddy of a buddy, and my current job was just through networking connections.  As Oliver said, if you can't get a coaching job, volunteer and do a great job. If you're teaching and coaching the right way, you are more likely to get the breaks, but don't rush into it. Realize you've got about a 30 year journey, so don't wish any year away. Learn from the bad and the good. Just know that  in coaching, sometimes 1 year can seem like 5, and sometimes 5 years can seem like 1.
that hit me hard coach! Great point even though it's a long time ago, I've been reading all these forums to get insightful the future!

WHITEchicken

I would say put in applications any and everywhere. If you have nothing tying you down to some place you will find a job with no problem. Is it going to be your dream job? Probably not. The thing is you could take a job somewhere and it turn into your dream job. Knowing people really helps. I took my first job after applying at over 40 schools ranging from 1a to 7a apllied for every different type of coaching job. Girls soccer, boys basketball, football, volleyball. When I was at the end of my rope and thinking about taking a job not in education/coaching I got a phone call from someone asking if I was still looking. The point is right now is not a real good time for new coaches looking for a job. Late June and July districts start getting desperate to fill spots. Don't give up. And if you can find a woman with a 6 footer marry her and put that on your application. Every little bit helps...haha

zebra73

1st year in may land you and AD job. Look at Riverside. Talk the Talk.

PapaHog

I took my first job teaching a subject I wasn't even certified in. Volunteered as assistant basketball and softball. The boss man got me stipend for basketball, so I guess it didn't end up being volunteer work. Long story short, get out and shake hands with everybody. A year later I got a call for a job I hadn't even applied for and now I'm head coaching. Who you know helps a lot!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas