• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discuss the 3A Top 10

Started by WPWells, January 19, 2015, 08:44:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

bulldog42

12th Man, are you doing a girls poll or just boys?

WPWells

I would total both, but I personally don't feel knowledgeable enough about girls to make an educated poll. Anyone who wishes to post a girls poll, though, feel free and I'll tally!

bulldog42

Outside of the top 5 or 6 on the girls side I wouldn't know who to rank.  There has not been much chatter on the girls side of things this year like there has been in years past.

Basketballfan13

Girls
1 Greenland
2 valley
3. Harding
4. Perry ills
5. Bergman
6. McGhee
7. Corning
8. Lamar
9. Paris
10. West fork

Those are all teams that could be considered top ten. 6-10 could really go in any order.

bulldog42

You can tell I don't do polls very much, already changed my mind on the one I submitted.  I think the problem I have is once you get out of the top 5 or 6 you can argue for several teams.

I am glad in the long run these polls don't mean a thing and that in the end that's why we have the tournaments and things always seem to work their way out.  As with most of the state polls there is always a bias based on regions in which you live and are familiar with since most people can see all the teams play.

It will be fun to see how things end as we have about 3 weeks or a little longer in some conferences left in league play.

The Chief CL

Charleston 1-10!!!!    They are the greatest of all greats!

Longfellow

Yall just making my day finally putting my boys in the top 10. Tomorrow night at Paris is gonna be one of the biggest matchups this year, and I can't wait watch that game

neds

Bigman will post updates on the scoring thread for the day's games I feel sure.

neds

The problem many of the teams in the top 10 will have is balance. So many of the teams are dependent on a single player and if that goes poorly (off night shooting or foul trouble) then they are in deep trouble.

Basketballfan13

Bigman if you don't mind could you post the girls score too through out conferce play. I hardly see any girls score from this conference.

WPWells

bobcats

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 19, 2015, 01:56:12 pm
Lol at the Flippin homers

Same could be said about the Charleston homers.

WPWells

Not really. See, we made the state championship last year and lost to the consensus #1 by 6. Y'all weren't even in the state tournament

@CurryLegion

Made the state championship, and now lost two of your best players, Storey. Also Fenner .Yes they were an important part. Not making the state tournament the year before does not mean you aren't good this year. Especially whenever the loss was to Earle. And then whenever somebody returns EVERYONE, they can be good. It's just a poll man, not like I'm saying Charleston sucks or anything. Lol.

bobcats

January 19, 2015, 02:49:55 pm #15 Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:59:17 pm by bobcats
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 19, 2015, 02:25:59 pm
Not really. See, we made the state championship last year and lost to the consensus #1 by 6. Y'all weren't even in the state tournament

Excuse me, I didn't know we were ranking last years teams.  And as far "Y'all" goes, I am not even a Flippin fan. 

WPWells

And Charleston returned three starters from that team. Therefore that is obviously a consideration. What has Charleston (or Cedar Ridge for that matter) done this year that would make you drop them below a team that didn't make the state tournament. I'm usually of a mind that if a team makes the state championship and returns more than half of their starters then they don't deserve to drop until they have a bad loss

doubled

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 19, 2015, 02:53:59 pm
And Charleston returned three starters from that team. Therefore that is obviously a consideration. What has Charleston (or Cedar Ridge for that matter) done this year that would make you drop them below a team that didn't make the state tournament. I'm usually of a mind that if a team makes the state championship and returns more than half of their starters then they don't deserve to drop until they have a bad loss
+1

Hootie

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 19, 2015, 02:53:59 pm

Y u no talk in 3rd person anymore

HeadTiger

I am not a Flippin homer either. I just personally think they are just better than Charleston right now

WPWells

Okay, on what basis? I'm not going to say you're wrong because I obviously don't know a lot about Flippin besides results

#EagleStrong

Quote from: bocatfanforlife on January 19, 2015, 02:46:53 pm
Made the state championship, and now lost two of your best players, Storey. Also Fenner.

I wouldn't call Storey one of their best players. He played well in the state tournament sure, but not one of their best overall. Plus Tyler Skeets has been playing really well to fill that gap. And Fenner, while he's been playing great this year, was only a freshman on that team last season. That team, even last year, operated through Ward and Smith, and they're still there. All five starters are seniors with big game experience. I think a lot of Flippin, but Charleston is a known commodity, and I just have more confidence in them right now for those reasons.

hawgsroll

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 19, 2015, 04:26:26 pm
Okay, on what basis? I'm not going to say you're wrong because I obviously don't know a lot about Flippin besides results
What does it matter why people think the way they do?   That is just what they think.   Last year was last year.   Most people don't just take last years finish and then add bonus points for good wins, deduct points for bad losses, or whatever.   All you can do is take your records from this year, compare opponents, look at quality wins and losses, and then take a stab at it.   If the one Flippin poster that is on here wants to put Flippin 2nd in the poll, then what do you care?   HeadTiger is from Valley and in early December did not believe Flippin deserved to be 2nd and now he does.  "Bobcats" is from Marshall and thinks Flippin should be 3rd ahead of Charleston.   They must have seen something they liked. 

#EagleStrong

January 19, 2015, 04:51:35 pm #23 Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:53:21 pm by #EagleStrong
Quote from: bobcats on January 19, 2015, 02:49:55 pm

Excuse me, I didn't know we were ranking last years teams.  And as far "Y'all" goes, I am not even a Flippin fan.

I guy named "bobcats" isn't a fan of the Flippin Bobcats?? So who is your team? Are you just a big Bobcat Goldthwait fan? Those Police Academy movies were pretty good...

Edit: Ah Marshall. Got it.

bobcats

Quote from: #EagleStrong on January 19, 2015, 04:51:35 pm
Quote from: bobcats on January 19, 2015, 02:49:55 pm

Marshall "Bobcats"

I guy named "bobcats" isn't a fan of the Flippin Bobcats?? So who is your team? Are you just a big Bobcat Goldthwait fan? Those Police Academy movies were pretty good...

Edit: Ah Marshall. Got it.

neds

So . . . what we are getting is 'regional bias'. Which makes total sense. You know and support the teams in your area. I think that is totally understandable.
In my case I tend to think Jessieville takes the #8 - #10 spot vs a team with a similar record that I don't know anything about.

bobcats

Alright, I will give it a shot. 

1.  Coach who has won a state championship before.
2.  Dean Smyser - 6'6" Athletic center who can run the floor and score in the paint.
3.  Rogers and Pollite are both high level guards.  High level guard play is essential to make a run.

They are vulnerable if Smyser gets in foul trouble as there is a substantial drop off if they have to go to the bench.

WPWells

Thanks for that! Sounds like Charleston-Flippin would be an interesting matchup. Does Flippin do better against zone or man? Charleston utilizes their length and plays a 1-3-1 most of the time

bobcats

I would definitely zone them.

@CurryLegion

Quote from: hawgsroll on January 19, 2015, 04:49:03 pm
What does it matter why people think the way they do?   That is just what they think.   Last year was last year.   Most people don't just take last years finish and then add bonus points for good wins, deduct points for bad losses, or whatever.   All you can do is take your records from this year, compare opponents, look at quality wins and losses, and then take a stab at it.   If the one Flippin poster that is on here wants to put Flippin 2nd in the poll, then what do you care?   HeadTiger is from Valley and in early December did not believe Flippin deserved to be 2nd and now he does.  "Bobcats" is from Marshall and thinks Flippin should be 3rd ahead of Charleston.   They must have seen something they liked.
Thank you hawgsroll, exactly my thoughts. It doesn't matter what poll I make, it will all come out in the wash, and plus I never dissed Charleston, 12th man is the one who made the comment.

doubled

Episcopal is the team to beat so who's second third are even tenth doesn't matter.  Number 1 is the only number that counts at the end of the year. Playing in a weak conference doesn't help flippin and that's no disrespect to them it's just a fact. CR played in one of the weakest conference for years and it killed them at the end of the year but they got over that hump by scheduling tough comp at the end of the year. I suggest the same to Flippin.

neds

'Playing up' is really the key. You can't control your conf. schedule, but you have total control over non conf. schedule. Truly a difference maker, especially if you have a weaker conference.

bobcat4real

Quote from: doubled on January 19, 2015, 07:35:16 pm
Episcopal is the team to beat so who's second third are even tenth doesn't matter.  Number 1 is the only number that counts at the end of the year. Playing in a weak conference doesn't help flippin and that's no disrespect to them it's just a fact. CR played in one of the weakest conference for years and it killed them at the end of the year but they got over that hump by scheduling tough comp at the end of the year. I suggest the same to Flippin.
I would totally agree on the weak conference and that would be a concern we have as well.  We played pretty good competition in November and December and were playing well but now we are back in conference and we struggle to get that rhythm we had earlier.  But the better the team, the better we seem to play.  So we hope to play well come tournament time.

Wolfpack68

If the Wolves don't bounce back from the 0-3 week, we're in trouble. They return 5 starters from last year. Ricardo Roberts 1st game back last Friday so I'm not completely worried. I totally understand why nobody has them in there Top 10. We have Genoa and I believe Fouke this week. Should be 2-0. Next week we have another big one. Cossatot at home. And I totally agree with doubled that ECS is the number one team, but there are some very good teams and it wouldn't surprise me at all if ECS gets tested or possibly upset.

neds

Agree 100% , everyone is beatable.
That said , I only see three teams capable of winning it this year.

BigMan15

Is there any big games coming up between the top ten teams to clean this up..i think paris is for sure top 5 but not sure what we need to do to get the respect we deserve..im not sold on flippin at 2...i would like to see their schedule..same with mcgehee...who have they played?? Rivercrest, Paris, Charleston, Flippin, Cedar Ridge and ECS can beat anyone on any given night..

Hootie

Quote from: BigMan15 on January 20, 2015, 08:07:27 am
Is there any big games coming up between the top ten teams to clean this up..i think paris is for sure top 5 but not sure what we need to do to get the respect we deserve..im not sold on flippin at 2...i would like to see their schedule..same with mcgehee...who have they played?? Rivercrest, Paris, Charleston, Flippin, Cedar Ridge and ECS can beat anyone on any given night..

McGehee's schedule pulled from AHSAA.org. You can get any teams schedule you want from the website.

@CurryLegion

Quote from: neds on January 19, 2015, 09:26:46 pm
Which three?

@CurryLegion

Quote from: Hootie on January 20, 2015, 08:39:26 am
Quote from: BigMan15 on January 20, 2015, 08:07:27 am

McGehee's schedule pulled from AHSAA.org. You can get any teams schedule you want from the website.

AHSAA schedules are not accurate, I know that much.

Hootie

bobcatfanforlife please share a more accurate schedule for the McGehee Owls then.

neds

Quote from: bocatfanforlife on January 20, 2015, 10:22:55 am
Quote from: neds on January 19, 2015, 09:26:46 pm
Which three?

Cedar Ridge , Charleston and Episcopal in alpha order

tiger34

you can find most athletic schedules at the particular school's website

hawgsroll

Quote from: Hootie on January 20, 2015, 10:36:50 am
bobcatfanforlife please share a more accurate schedule for the McGehee Owls then.
Did McGehee beat Monticello?  IF so, how come they are showing 10-0 and ranked #1 in 4A in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette?
Was it a benefit game that did not count or what?

@CurryLegion

Oh I have no idea for McGehee, but I just checked Flippin's and it's not even close. Just wanted to throw out there that not all of them are completely correct, however some may be. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

owl84

My schedule shows the junior high girls and senior high girls played monticello not the boys

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: bocatfanforlife on January 20, 2015, 11:18:31 am
Oh I have no idea for McGehee, but I just checked Flippin's and it's not even close. Just wanted to throw out there that not all of them are completely correct, however some may be. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
is flippin in arkansas?

Basketball13

Quote from: Oldman on January 20, 2015, 11:23:14 am
Quote from: bocatfanforlife on January 20, 2015, 11:18:31 am
is flippin in arkansas?

Lol made me chuckle.

Basketballfan13

Flippin is a charter school out of Missouri that petitioned the AAA to play in arkansas this year...I fear this could be a growing trend...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: tiger34 on January 20, 2015, 11:05:08 am
you can find most athletic schedules at the particular school's website

Looking at their schoo website, and I've come to teh conclusion that Mcgehee isn't aware that they actually have a basketball team..

Eagle20

BHG beat Monticello 28-22 in half a benefit game.  Looking like a good win!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas