• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many D1 players does this division produce on a yearly average?

Started by smallybells, January 10, 2015, 12:48:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

smallybells

I'm just curious how many D-1A basketball players come out of the 3A conference on a yearly average in this state?

pioneers

If I was to take a guess I would say maybe around 5 a year. It really just depends on the year some years there is more talent than others but I would say on average 5-10 a year.

neds

The 5-10 no. would include D2 as well.  I don't think there is more than 1-2 on avg. each year going D1 from 3A

ZoneBuster

5-10 is way too many. That's good for the entire state! If 3A has a couple, it's a good year. Most years there are none.

jr17

D1 in 3A is MAYBE 1 a year. This year I could think of 3 that have a good chance though. And those are just 3 that come to mind quickly.

Moonshiner

Quote from: jr17 on January 10, 2015, 11:04:08 am
D1 in 3A is MAYBE 1 a year. This year I could think of 3 that have a good chance though. And those are just 3 that come to mind quickly.

Just curious who you feel are the 3 Division 1 players in class 3 are? 

jr17

I said have a chance. As in could be in consideration. Not saying they are ABSOLUTELY D1.

A-Good-One

Are we talking just boys? Between boys and girls, 3A would be doing well to get one every other year. Maybe one every three years. I mean on average, not for a specific year. Don't think there are three this year. Two perhaps. And one is obvious/longtime commit already.

lorettalynn

ZoneBuster

Most of the 3A studs go D2. D1 is for rare athletes in arkansas.

BigMan15

I think maybe 1-2 a year in 3A...agree as well about maybe 3-4 D2..This year not sure maybe 1 but 2 at most..

ZoneBuster

I remember when most of these schools were 2A in 06 there was some pretty good talent. Junction city had James Anderson that was a junior, BIC had Brooks Taylor that went to South Alabama, then Hughes had a couple really good D2 type players.

That was a good state tourney that year.

#EagleStrong

Don't read too much into the whole D1 vs D2 stuff. I used to work as a sportswriter in college and I covered D2 extensively. I can tell you that oftentimes, the good, and even the mediocre D2 schools are better than the bad or middling D1 schools. For example, one year West Georgia only won six games and I think went winless in their conference, the Gulf South, which isn't regarded as a great D2 basketball conference. Yet that same year, they beat Florida International, a D1 school. Just remember that D1 includes schools like Maryland-Eastern Shore, Central Connecticut State, SIU-Edwardsville, Incarnate Word and a bunch of other schools you've never heard of. The D1 distinction is a bit overblown.

A-Good-One

ZoneBuster

Still, there aren't a ton of D2 basketball players in 3A if you add that into the mix. 5-10 maybe

BigMan15

In ur opinon who is going to ball it up in college in the 3A boys next year..

A-Good-One

Next year? In the River Valley and NWA I can think of two of the top of my head. I can't speak for places outside there, though, except ECS - which has two at least, but I don't know if they're seniors or not.

Plus, you gotta consider grades and all that.

neds

Martin is a senior guard on ECS , he has an opportunity to play college. At this point I dont know the level, D2 or lower level D1. He is smart, shoots well, runs the point well, doesn't get rattled, has played against high level D1 talent and held his own. Only issue is size. That hurts him more on defense than offense, being slightly undersized.
Freeman and Kelvin are both juniors. Both will continue to improve and will have a shot at college ball.

On #Eagle's comment, this year Christian Bros. (D2 out of Memphis) beat Memphis in both teams first game, it won't show up on the record book as it was recorded as a 'benefit game'

Eagle20

6'5" BHG guard has already been offered and has several schools interested in him.

BigMan15

He is a very talented player with nice size..what schools have offered?

#EagleStrong

In my experience quickness seems to be the primary factor in whether or not they get offers. I mean sure, shooting and everything is a major factor, but schools will take a quicker player with a worse, but still good, shot over a slower one with a better shot. I guess it just comes down to athleticism really. Or just be 7'. That helps too.

jr17

WPWells

neds

jr17

Good or bad.
UCA is D1 if I'm not mistaken. So there is 1 D1 player.

BigMan15

Yes it is Hunter Ball went there last year..from what i hear its a great school..

neds

Quote from: jr17 on January 12, 2015, 10:18:17 am
Good or bad.
UCA is D1 if I'm not mistaken. So there is 1 D1 player.

My comment isn't a slight to him at all. I actually think that coach will do well, he was left with nothing and started over this year.

jr17

I wasnt meaning your comment was snide. Apologies if that's how it sounded. It was more to the point that, I can name 3 players that could play D1 basketball. And he is one.

Eagle20

Quote from: BigMan15 on January 11, 2015, 05:59:26 pm
He is a very talented player with nice size..what schools have offered?
Lyon is the only one I know for sure.  Quite a few interested .

A-Good-One

Quote from: jr17 on January 12, 2015, 02:00:30 pm
I wasnt meaning your comment was snide. Apologies if that's how it sounded. It was more to the point that, I can name 3 players that could play D1 basketball. And he is one.

"Could" is different than "will" or "does."

jr17

Well. See other factors go into plating D1 ball. Grades, discipline etc.... so I'm just speaking about talent level.

A-Good-One

Gotcha. I still say there's maybe two total, boys and girls, from this year's batch of seniors.

lanecamper54

Here's some stats for you to ponder will discussing this. Due to sheer numbers, D1 basketball scholarships are the toughest college athlete scholarships to receive with less than one third of 1% of high school players attaining that goal.  Also, there are over one million high school basketball payers and even thousands more internationally, and only 50,000 will receive basketball scholarships each year, which includes all levels D1 down to Juco.

jr17

I can say 3.
Ward
Martin
Robinson.

Pure talent level, they could play D1 ball.

A-Good-One

Only one is official so far. And it's a girls player. Remains to be seen about Martin and Ward.

jr17

Sportsnutt

Was the girl from Estem the only Division 1 signee last year?  I have been trying to think of others but can't from the 3A level.

Skip Baymore

Quote from: #EagleStrong on January 11, 2015, 02:36:18 pm
Don't read too much into the whole D1 vs D2 stuff. I used to work as a sportswriter in college and I covered D2 extensively. I can tell you that oftentimes, the good, and even the mediocre D2 schools are better than the bad or middling D1 schools. For example, one year West Georgia only won six games and I think went winless in their conference, the Gulf South, which isn't regarded as a great D2 basketball conference. Yet that same year, they beat Florida International, a D1 school. Just remember that D1 includes schools like Maryland-Eastern Shore, Central Connecticut State, SIU-Edwardsville, Incarnate Word and a bunch of other schools you've never heard of. The D1 distinction is a bit overblown.
Agreed.  Sometimes you can read things in, obviously, but definitely not all the time.  The NFL has a ton of players from "obscure" schools.  And the NBA has a ton also.  Look at LeBron James, he didn't even go to a college (that was meant to be funny).  Seriously, sometimes great talent isn't noticed and a lot of times it is still developing during the college years.  And what about Ohio States 3rd string quarterback?  This is kind of along the same lines we are talking about, but what are the chances he is Ohio States 3rd string quarterback next year?  He might be drafted before the two before him.  Scotty Pippen,  Jerry Rice, Tony Romo, the list is endless.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas