• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ECS

Started by RTF, July 23, 2014, 11:46:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MDXPHD

Quote from: neds on January 03, 2015, 10:31:33 pm
ECS comes home this weekend and takes two games from 5A opponents @LRCA tournament.

Certainly the trip to Nashville will pay off as the season goes on. Playing top teams from around the country in much bigger classes can only help this team improve.
They play BHG in their first home game of the season on Tues. night, return to conference play on Friday night @Mayflower and then host 2A power and former 3A power Earle on Jan. 13th.

This weekend was a good one for them (70-41 over HS Lakeside and 70-53 over LR Christian both played @LRCA) with wins over bigger schools.

Thone wins are nothing to be excited about. LRCA is just absolutely  terrible and I imagine Lakeside is too.

Jock

Quote from: cdelaney on July 26, 2014, 09:21:21 am
Quote from: BigMan15 on July 26, 2014, 12:38:38 am
I would say freeman
Not close:   1)Martin  2)Robinson  3)Freeman
They could lose Robinson or Freeman (not both) and still be the best in 3A. If they lose Martin, not so much
^^^^^^^^
Agree with cdelany

Jock

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 04, 2015, 08:25:19 am
ECS comes home this weekend and takes two games from 5A opponents @LRCA tournament.

Certainly the trip to Nashville will pay off as the season goes on. Playing top teams from around the country in much bigger classes can only help this team improve.
They play BHG in their first home game of the season on Tues. night, return to conference play on Friday night @Mayflower and then host 2A power and former 3A power Earle on Jan. 13th.

This weekend was a good one for them (70-41 over HS Lakeside and 70-53 over LR Christian both played @LRCA) with wins over bigger schools.

Thone wins are nothing to be excited about. LRCA is just absolutely  terrible and I imagine Lakeside is too.

^^^^^^
Agree with MDX. HS Lakeside best player was out hurt, and 2nd and 3rd best played with injury. LRCA team has 2 Juniors and all Soph's, and it was a 4pt game in the 4th quarter.

Not taking away from ECS, they are very skilled, and have good players at all the right positions. Not sure how they attract all these players to that small exclusive private school, but if they all stay healthy I don't see any competition for them at the 3A level.

cdelaney

Quote from: Jock on January 04, 2015, 10:52:22 am
I would say freeman
They could lose Robinson or Freeman (not both) and still be the best in 3A. If they lose Martin, not so much
^^^^^^^^
Agree with cdelany
Kelvin has improved a lot this year but shot not there yet. Freeman playing more within himself. Fewer bad plays and poor shot selection.
Since you posted Jock I have to ask if you still are convinced that ECS is such a big recruiter? If so what is your evidence?

Jock

Quote from: cdelaney on January 04, 2015, 11:11:35 am
I would say freeman
^^^^^^^^
Agree with cdelany
Kelvin has improved a lot this year but shot not there yet. Freeman playing more within himself. Fewer bad plays and poor shot selection.
Since you posted Jock I have to ask if you still are convinced that ECS is such a big recruiter? If so what is your evidence?

I don't have evidence, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't post it here. But I will say that I've been around these LR teams a long time watching these boys grow up. And besides freeman and maybe couple others, ECS third grade - 9th grade boys (good players) seem to disappear along the way, and the HS teams seem get new players.

This is just my observation and anybody can disagree, and maybe I'm wrong. And if it's all done within the rules of AAA then that's good for the school. But to me it seems to have a prep school atmosphere rather than your typical 3A school in AR.

It's kind of like Shiloh Christian in football a few years back, and PA football now. When u are so much better than your classification, for several years... It makes people notice.

Sorry for the long reply. Let me finish by saying these are boys / young men, and my hat's off to them. I expect them to win conference and make a good run at a 3A state title. Im a fan of the student athletes regardless of what goes on with recruiting. And we all know recruiting goes on, not just at ECS.

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: Jock on January 04, 2015, 11:09:01 am
Quote from: MDXPHD on January 04, 2015, 08:25:19 am

^^^^^^
Agree with MDX. HS Lakeside best player was out hurt, and 2nd and 3rd best played with injury. LRCA team has 2 Juniors and all Soph's, and it was a 4pt game in the 4th quarter.

Not taking away from ECS, they are very skilled, and have good players at all the right positions. Not sure how they attract all these players to that small exclusive private school, but if they all stay healthy I don't see any competition for them at the 3A level.
It was 24-7 at the end of the 1st quarter...Man, it seems like this one was a nail-biter. Our recruited athletes barely handled LRCA last night.

cdelaney

Quote from: Jock on January 04, 2015, 11:43:06 am
Quote from: cdelaney on January 04, 2015, 11:11:35 am
I would say freeman
^^^^^^^^
Agree with cdelany

I don't have evidence, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't post it here. But I will say that I've been around these LR teams a long time watching these boys grow up. And besides freeman and maybe couple others, ECS third grade - 9th grade boys (good players) seem to disappear along the way, and the HS teams seem get new players.

This is just my observation and anybody can disagree, and maybe I'm wrong. And if it's all done within the rules of AAA then that's good for the school. But to me it seems to have a prep school atmosphere rather than your typical 3A school in AR.

It's kind of like Shiloh Christian in football a few years back, and PA football now. When u are so much better than your classification, for several years... It makes people notice.

Sorry for the long reply. Let me finish by saying these are boys / young men, and my hat's off to them. I expect them to win conference and make a good run at a 3A state title. Im a fan of the student athletes regardless of what goes on with recruiting. And we all know recruiting goes on, not just at ECS.
Fair enough. But of their top players all started at ECS in 6th grade (which was the earliest grade at that time) except Robinson who came in 8th grade. As far as kids disappearing, ECS has lost a ton of capable 3A level athletes and a few stars to other local schools (mostly Catholic and a couple to PA) over the years. Were they recruited or did their families just decide to move them for various reasons, possibly including athletics?
I do know all the kids on this team are good kids with good families who all value education. ECS is the fartherest thing from a Prep School mentality as it could be. It is academics first.
Finally I am not privy to the reasons any of the ECS athletes had for coming to ECS, but I can guarantee there was no recruiting done by athletic staff or administration.

neds

January 04, 2015, 12:12:21 pm #57 Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:15:34 pm by neds
Jock there is no win or lose on this subject , people choose to believe in their opinion and that is fine as it's a beautiful part of living in this country.   
My family has personally lived through the transfer situation and due to a professional transfer we moved to Little Rock from out of state. We looked at every possible choice we could make in choosing a school and for 100% academic reasons we made our choice Episcopal. That part of the discussion wasn't even up for debate it was so one sided for our kids (other kids may have other academic reasons for other schools). What was difficult for us was that where we moved from had a better balance of academics and athletics than ECS. That said , we made our choice and have never regretted it. Our kids were well prepared for college and have done well. What they also did was make a difference in turning ECS into a better athletic choice for families. Both were successful in their sports and in some cases very. Success is never a straight path. Every institution grows and I am very happy that ECS is growing to be a successful institution in athletics without compromising academics. Recruiting? I don't think that term is appropriate, I think ECS 'offers' a better choice for those families looking for what they offer - great academics and good athletics.   

Jock

Agreed to the above, lot of gray area. ECS is able to offer more opportunies, therefore attracting gifted students. If ECS (or any private school for that matter) is approached by two families with financial need and wanting to attend, and financial assistance is offered to the B student who is a gifted athlete, but not offered to the A student who isn't an athlete...  is that recruiting???  I'm not an expert so idk.

Anyway, I got this thread off in the wrong direction so I'll stop here.  ECS has a very talented Bball team and from the games I've seen they should  easily cruise to 3A conference title.

cdelaney

Quote from: Jock on January 04, 2015, 12:37:09 pm
Agreed to the above, lot of gray area. ECS is able to offer more opportunies, therefore attracting gifted students. If ECS (or any private school for that matter) is approached by two families with financial need and wanting to attend, and financial assistance is offered to the B student who is a gifted athlete, but not offered to the A student who isn't an athlete...  is that recruiting???  I'm not an expert so idk.

Anyway, I got this thread off in the wrong direction so I'll stop here.  ECS has a very talented Bball team and from the games I've seen they should  easily cruise to 3A conference title.
I have a friend who went through the financial aid process. His kid was a good but not great athlete, would probably have been a 2-3 yr starter in FB. For aid he went through a process very similar to the FAFSA for college financial aid- had to submit all of his family income, assets, etc, how many kids in private school , etc. This all went to an outside agency that came back with a dollar figure of how much aid he could receive. It was about 1/3 of tuition, so he would have been responsible for the rest. He said athletic participation was not part of the equation. I am pretty sure it is the same for all students who request aid. Also I believe all of this information has to be made available to the AAA if they want to evaluate a particular situation.

hornethigh-mhs

ECS fans should just ignore the recruiting claims. The posters that claim Episcopal recruits are wasting their time as well. Nothing will come from it on fearless Friday.

BigMan15

Ecs is a very good school..most of the kids go there for the education...if it wasnt for money thats where my son would be going..

jr17

I have my views on recruiting. It definitely goes on. I just truly believe ECS DOES NOT recruit (my opinion on PA. Well that's a Different story). Why would episcopal have to recruit? They have great academics, along with a small school environment. Why would someone not want to send there kids there?

neds

January 04, 2015, 07:31:27 pm #63 Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:33:03 pm by neds
On the basketball subject . . . This year's team is a special team or at least has that potential. I feel this year's team is the best team ECS has ever had, or they can be. Pretty much last year's team (less William Pollock) and all a year more mature. Next year drops off as they lose all three of the their guys underneath (Becton and Geese). At this level of play , 3A , the stars rarely line up this way in multiple years so they need to make the most of this year's talent. Marsh had talent to work with his first year at ECS (Hall, Hairston & Rawlings) , but not the level he has now. You can't key on one person or the other four will punish you.

Eagle20

Quote from: neds on January 04, 2015, 12:12:21 pm
Jock there is no win or lose on this subject , people choose to believe in their opinion and that is fine as it's a beautiful part of living in this country.   
My family has personally lived through the transfer situation and due to a professional transfer we moved to Little Rock from out of state. We looked at every possible choice we could make in choosing a school and for 100% academic reasons we made our choice Episcopal. That part of the discussion wasn't even up for debate it was so one sided for our kids (other kids may have other academic reasons for other schools). What was difficult for us was that where we moved from had a better balance of academics and athletics than ECS. That said , we made our choice and have never regretted it. Our kids were well prepared for college and have done well. What they also did was make a difference in turning ECS into a better athletic choice for families. Both were successful in their sports and in some cases very. Success is never a straight path. Every institution grows and I am very happy that ECS is growing to be a successful institution in athletics without compromising academics. Recruiting? I don't think that term is appropriate, I think ECS 'offers' a better choice for those families looking for what they offer - great academics and good athletics.
Ned's if your son has red hair your memory is short on the recruiting end of things.  Remember all the kids that moved to ECS to play with Thurman's son a few years ago and they all just happened to play on his AAU team.  Enough said unless you want to get into details. 

cdelaney

Quote from: Eagle20 on January 04, 2015, 09:28:39 pm
Quote from: neds on January 04, 2015, 12:12:21 pm
Ned's if your son has red hair your memory is short on the recruiting end of things.  Remember all the kids that moved to ECS to play with Thurman's son a few years ago and they all just happened to play on his AAU team.  Enough said unless you want to get into details.
I don't know the specifics of this but I will assume these kids moved to ECS to play with Thurman. Is that recruiting? When a family decides to send their kid to PA so their son can play FB in a successful program is that recruiting? When public schools kids move around all the time to play for a specific coach or program, is that recruiting? There is a lot more of this in the public schools than in private schools, especially the past few years.
So unless you are certain someone was recruited to a school, rather than just choosing to go there, be careful with your accusations..

Eagle20

No, my point is not every kid moves there for the SUPERIOR academics you talk about.   I was not even talking about recruiting which I am sure they all paid their own way.  None of the three graduated from ECS but I am sure they were all stellar students.

neds

Eagle you have been obsessed with this issue, Scotty Thurman, for 5 years now. I have no idea why the kids you are referring to did what they did. Like any decision you make in life some work and some don't and kids leave schools due to fit, academics and financial reasons in the case of private schools.
Again I say it was a good situation for my family and a decision I would make again tomorrow. Every family has their own situation and I respect that.
And my kids have purple hair . .

Moonshiner

What does it cost a family to send their child to ECS ? 

Pastureboy21

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 05, 2015, 11:43:55 am
roughly 13 thousand dollar tuition when it's paid in full.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Pastureboy21 on January 05, 2015, 12:32:06 pm
Quote from: Moonshiner on January 05, 2015, 11:43:55 am
roughly 13 thousand dollar tuition when it's paid in full.

Wowza!!!!

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: Eagle20 on January 04, 2015, 11:24:46 pm
No, my point is not every kid moves there for the SUPERIOR academics you talk about.   I was not even talking about recruiting which I am sure they all paid their own way.  None of the three graduated from ECS but I am sure they were all stellar students.
No reason to be salty Eagle. If you have some concrete evidence you would like to present to the AAA then go right ahead. But you are just spinning your wheels on this website, and it isn't going to change the fact that ECS has the best basketball team in 3A this year

NEark tigers

January 06, 2015, 01:24:05 pm #72 Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:29:07 pm by NEark tigers
Seems to me that money plus recruiting can equal championships. It was proven in 2014.Just my opinion!!!

Let me stop right there before the Private School Police gets me. ;D ;D

cdelaney

Quote from: NEark tigers on January 06, 2015, 01:24:05 pm
Seems to me that recruiting can equal championships. It was proven in 2012.Just my opinion!!!

Corrected your post for you NE

NEark tigers

Quote from: cdelaney on January 06, 2015, 02:05:41 pm
Seems to me that recruiting can equal championships. It was proven in 2012.Just my opinion!!!

Thanks.. I thought I had it right, cd

NEark tigers

Truckman555

Eagle20 is just truly upset because Arkansas Baptist sucks now and will never return to the top

cdelaney

Quote from: NEark tigers on January 06, 2015, 02:50:34 pm

No problem

Eagle20

Quote from: Truckman555 on January 06, 2015, 03:10:53 pm
Eagle20 is just truly upset because Arkansas Baptist sucks now and will never return to the top
you will eat those words the next 3 years

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas