• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Since the Dallas Cowboys America's team. . Who is Arkansas ' team in high school

Started by The Zebra Successor, June 24, 2014, 08:52:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 12, 2014, 01:38:07 pm
Quote from: B.G. on July 12, 2014, 01:04:52 pm
So far, this discussion is just fine.  Firm but not too aggressive. 

I will add a bit from my own perspective.  There is no doubt that some people frown on the PB type of performance/show.  Some(fewer by the day) might honestly be attributed to a cultural difference/perspective.  However, I'm a bit loathe to blanket all of that on "race".  I'm ashamed if there are those who dislike it for that reason. At the same time, the genetic factor of the PB band might also be a reason some people like it so much.  It's a mold breaker.  It's an eye opener.  Above all, it's entertainment.

Doubling back a bit, I don't enjoy seeing the race card played so haphazardly.  When it's played, like it was here, the perception is that everyone that doesn't like it solely because of race.  That simply is not true. Some people just don't like some things.  It's not always sinister.

The idea that race may played a factor is not as absurd idea either. The reason PB pulled out of those type of competitions years ago was because they got tired of being told several times by OTHER WHITE participants that we were not rated fairly. Apparently none of them were judges and they may have said it just said to make us feel better anyway we agreed so we slowly stopped participating. Folks in today's world racism rarely comes up and slaps you in the face it's overt and it can happen anywhere and in anything to anyone to any race.
I'll yield you some there but if they left because of that they only delayed an effective and gradual improvement in the situation.  You stay to affect change.  By running from it, you feed it.

Brian G

Quote from: phdefense on July 12, 2014, 01:41:37 pm
Quote from: B.G. on July 12, 2014, 01:34:57 pm
Quote from: phdefense on July 12, 2014, 01:26:50 pm
Quote from: B.G. on July 12, 2014, 01:20:41 pm
If the band doesn't perform at halftime, it's fine by me.
And this is why your voice is nothing, but a detriment to the discussion. I do not question that you have full mature working knowledge of football. When it comes to this though you are a child and a detractor at that. So be a good boy and let the adults talk.
Easy Edgar.

This is a football message board and is on a 6A football forum.  I've allowed this to continue here as it relates to football.  If it doesn't relate to football, it doesn't really belong here.  You can move your discussion to the ASBOA message board. I promise not to come there and talk about football. ;)
It's too late to squash it on a subject basis. That should have been done days ago. If a guy that doesn't like football jumped in the middle of a Spread vs Dead-T debate you know what the result would be. Don't be "that" guy.  :P
It can be stopped at any time.  I debated it several times but thought I 'd let it grow it's head.  You assume that I don't like band and you're not exactly right.

I love them at the games as they are and can be a big part of it.  Outside of that, these contests don't matter a hill of beans to me.

There's a reason bands choose football games.  They have a captured audience that can't avoid them.

Now, you have a choice here.  Keep going on the attack of the moderation and risk the thread being locked or go on about your way with the other part of the conversation.

Brian G

Quote from: ricepig on July 12, 2014, 01:42:05 pm
You must be in the South end zone, too. When my club seats were on the east side about the north 20 yard line, we couldn't ever hear the band. The little 20 man pep bands from other schools would turn around and drown them out.
Close.  I'm between them and the Burl's Kids.

zebradynasty

Quote from: B.G. on July 12, 2014, 01:43:59 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on July 12, 2014, 01:38:07 pm
Quote from: B.G. on July 12, 2014, 01:04:52 pm
So far, this discussion is just fine.  Firm but not too aggressive. 

I will add a bit from my own perspective.  There is no doubt that some people frown on the PB type of performance/show.  Some(fewer by the day) might honestly be attributed to a cultural difference/perspective.  However, I'm a bit loathe to blanket all of that on "race".  I'm ashamed if there are those who dislike it for that reason. At the same time, the genetic factor of the PB band might also be a reason some people like it so much.  It's a mold breaker.  It's an eye opener.  Above all, it's entertainment.

Doubling back a bit, I don't enjoy seeing the race card played so haphazardly.  When it's played, like it was here, the perception is that everyone that doesn't like it solely because of race.  That simply is not true. Some people just don't like some things.  It's not always sinister.

The idea that race may played a factor is not as absurd idea either. The reason PB pulled out of those type of competitions years ago was because they got tired of being told several times by OTHER WHITE participants that we were not rated fairly. Apparently none of them were judges and they may have said it just said to make us feel better anyway we agreed so we slowly stopped participating. Folks in today's world racism rarely comes up and slaps you in the face it's overt and it can happen anywhere and in anything to anyone to any race.
I'll yield you some there but if they left because of that they only delayed an effective and gradual improvement in the situation.  You stay to affect change.  By running from it, you feed it.

I can agree with that. Us choosing not to compete may have been a good decision given our results but long term it might not have been the BEST decision socially.

Baitshop

And this is why your voice is nothing, but a detriment to the discussion. I do not question that you have full mature working knowledge of football. When it comes to this though you are a child and a detractor at that. So be a good boy and let the adults talk.

Hey, PH....have you ever heard the phrase "you don't tug on Superman's cape"..??

phdefense

Quote from: Baitshop on July 12, 2014, 02:20:40 pm

Hey, PH....have you ever heard the phrase "you don't tug on Superman's cape"..??
No fun can be had if one only does that which is safe.

DogsWin7

Pull the String, and it will follow wherever you wish.  Push it, and it will go nowhere at all.- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Valleysports

Dallas Cowboys weren't tagged America's Team, because of records.  It was because of Popularity.  The Cowboys had the Fans, were always on TV, and the Cowboys Cheerleaders.  They were America's Team.

What HS Team is popular in Arkansas, has the most fans wearing school colors, is always in the news, and has the cheerleaders?  Obviously this needs two categories - before / after population shift to NWA.

BUCK FEVER

Long thread for such an easy answer................

If THE COWBOYS IS AMERICA'S TEAM

Then the BUCKAROOS must be Arkansas" team.

BUCK FEVER

Dang, just picked up another (-slap).......... :'(

SantaHog

I still say there is only one logical choice.  Arkansas' team has to be ARKANSAS HIGH.

protegewill

Quote from: The Future on June 24, 2014, 09:45:22 pm
I'm more interested in stripping Dallas of Americas team and giving it one of these teams. Or any team for that matter. Anywhere. Any level of ball. Like right now.
[/quote

I thought the patriots was America's team because they started winning when the country was at so called war. The patriots seem more like America's imo.

phdefense

Quote from: protegewill on August 26, 2015, 12:37:59 pm
Quote from: The Future on June 24, 2014, 09:45:22 pm
I'm more interested in stripping Dallas of Americas team and giving it one of these teams. Or any team for that matter. Anywhere. Any level of ball. Like right now.

I thought the patriots was America's team because they started winning when the country was at so called war. The patriots seem more like America's imo.
Sorry but reality does not agree with this perspective.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501025/article/study-cowboys-fans-best-in-nfl-dolphins-worst

http://www.therichest.com/sports/football-sports/top-10-most-loyal-fan-bases-in-the-nfl/10/

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/10/16/Research-and-Ratings/Harris-Poll.aspx

Band wagon fans jump from one team to another and make teams surge. However the Cowboys popularity is absolute.

New England is "America's Team" to hate though

http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-10-most-hated-teams-in-the-nfl/10/

protegewill

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 06, 2014, 11:10:38 pm
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 06, 2014, 07:33:44 pm
America's team is a perinnial medocre team that can't win a playoff game.

Showing trophies from 20yrs ago does not prove they are America's team (if there is such a thing). How many playoff games have they won since their last championship in 1995? The answer is "3".

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/playoffs.htm

Valleysports

Half the football fans, in every state, are Cowboys Fans.  You might be able to do something about it, if you claim it to be offensive to Muslims, insensitive to Native Americans, or maybe racist.  But other than that - The Cowboys will always be "America's Team"...

protegewill

Quote from: Valleysports on August 26, 2015, 03:22:01 pm
Half the football fans, in every state, are Cowboys Fans.  You might be able to do something about it, if you claim it to be offensive to Muslims, insensitive to Native Americans, or maybe racist.  But other than that - The Cowboys will always be "America's Team"...

dumbest reply ever!!

PA Pressbox

DerekOxford

Quote from: protegewill on August 26, 2015, 03:27:01 pm

dumbest reply ever!!

"America's Team" is not "America's Best Team," which is what every non-Cowboys fan reads it as. Instead of just realizing how that name came about, they immediately assume that the Cowboys are saying they are America's best team and every other team pales in comparison.

Here's something for you to read so you can realize how that name came about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Team

And yes, I know I used Wikipedia. Wiki is actually an excellent tool, if you know what you're looking for and the information is cited and referenced by credible sites, which in this case, it is.

Overdahill

Valleysports

ō
dumbest reply ever!!

Being ignorant of where / when / how "America's Team" came to be, is why you would say such a thing.  Ignorance isn't the same as stupid, so nothing personal.  Point is - the title will stay with the Cowboy Franchise.  Next!

maxswine

The Cowboys were the second choice to be named America's team after the first choice turned it down by NFL films. 

So for Arkansas' high school team, maybe we should go with the second choice.....whoever that is. 

DerekOxford

Quote from: maxswine on August 26, 2015, 09:47:29 pm
The Cowboys were the second choice to be named America's team after the first choice turned it down by NFL films. 

So for Arkansas' high school team, maybe we should go with the second choice.....whoever that is. 

Link?

Eddie Goodson

If being number one in selling jerseys makes you America's Team, have at it. I'll stick with a team that has actually won Super Bowls and and actually won playoff games in the last 20 years. The real reason fans of other teams can't stand the Cowboys has NOTHING to do with the team itself. It has everything to do with the obnoxious, reality detached fans who follow the Cowboys. So, you guys keep living in 1996 and the rest of us will root for what our teams are doing now.

protegewill

Quote from: Valleysports on August 26, 2015, 09:43:19 pm
ō
dumbest reply ever!!

Being ignorant of where / when / how "America's Team" came to be, is why you would say such a thing.  Ignorance isn't the same as stupid, so nothing personal.  Point is - the title will stay with the Cowboy Franchise.  Next!

Your right ;) :o ??? Knowing where, when, and how America's team got there name is the only reason why someone could have an opinion on the cowboys ;D ;). Never mind the fact that with the nfl as with political/corparate america decisions are made "for the love of money". The name stays only because the money makes sense...The minute it does not make sense for them it will change!!!

maxswine

Quote from: DerekOxford on August 26, 2015, 10:08:15 pm

Link?

I saw an interview with Steve Sabol about it.  But here is a couple of links.  There are a lot more out there if you want to just search.  These are the first 2 that popped up.....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/583375-the-pittsburgh-steelers-are-really-americas-team-not-the-dallas-cowboys

http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/rooney-steelers-had-no-interest-in-becoming-americas-team/

DerekOxford

Quote from: maxswine on August 27, 2015, 02:20:40 pm

Link?

I saw an interview with Steve Sabol about it.  But here is a couple of links.  There are a lot more out there if you want to just search.  These are the first 2 that popped up.....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/583375-the-pittsburgh-steelers-are-really-americas-team-not-the-dallas-cowboys

http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/rooney-steelers-had-no-interest-in-becoming-americas-team/

If any other team has a legitimate claim to that title, it would be the Steelers, or maybe the Packers.

But like I said earlier, it doesn't mean 'America's Best Team.' If people would just quit reading it that way, people wouldn't get so bent out of shape about it.

protegewill

Quote from: DerekOxford on August 27, 2015, 02:41:28 pm

Link?

If any other team has a legitimate claim to that title, it would be the Steelers, or maybe the Packers.

But like I said earlier, it doesn't mean 'America's Best Team.' If people would just quit reading it that way, people wouldn't get so bent out of shape about it.
+1

Baitshop

D OXFORD hit the nail on the head...it ain't about the wins and losses...

The Cowboys draw a bigger fan following at opponents stadiums than anyone in the league...

They sell more merchandise than anyone else in the league...

They are prettier than anyone else in the league...

They have the best stadium in the WORLD...

The fact that more people hate them than any other team in the league tells you all you need to know...

You don't hear about people bust the balls of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Why..?? Because nobody wants to be the Buccaneers...they want to have that shiny blue star on the side of their favorite teams helmets...

Hate is just another word for jealous...you boys need to get over it...

The Dallas Cowboys ARE America's Team...

Valleysports

Quote from: protegewill on August 27, 2015, 03:11:43 pm

Link?

+1

So what have we learned from this thread?  LOL  Nothing - only that some youngsters don't know what "America's Team" means.  A title that was bestowed on the Cowboys back in the 70's. 

Well when it comes to the best teams in Arkansas - isn't it Central, Southside, now Bentonville historically?  Minor league don't count for this.  I kinda wonder if Southside might be Arkansas Team, when it comes to Fans, T-shirts, Cowboys like stuff, over a long period of time.  Growing up in Texas, I'd occasionally run into these Southside Fans.  And we had this kid, now a Bentonville Fan, who moved in from Ft Smith.  He was crazy about Southside.  Yeah I think I'm going to declare Southside "Arkansas Team".  Everyone Okay with that?

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on August 27, 2015, 05:45:44 pm
Quote from: protegewill on August 27, 2015, 03:11:43 pm

Link?

+1

So what have we learned from this thread?  LOL  Nothing - only that some youngsters don't know what "America's Team" means.  A title that was bestowed on the Cowboys back in the 70's. 

Well when it comes to the best teams in Arkansas - isn't it Central, Southside, now Bentonville historically?  Minor league don't count for this.  I kinda wonder if Southside might be Arkansas Team, when it comes to Fans, T-shirts, Cowboys like stuff, over a long period of time.  Growing up in Texas, I'd occasionally run into these Southside Fans.  And we had this kid, now a Bentonville Fan, who moved in from Ft Smith.  He was crazy about Southside.  Yeah I think I'm going to declare Southside "Arkansas Team".  Everyone Okay with that?

Did they wear helmets when you played, I'm thinking, not..........

WPWells

Valley, I honestly think you might not be that far off base with your declaration of Southside as Arkansas' team

maxswine

Quote from: Baitshop on August 27, 2015, 04:40:57 pm

The Cowboys draw a bigger fan following at opponents stadiums than anyone in the league...

I disagree with this point.

And I don't hate the cowboys.  But, to paraphrase a line by Rick Blaine, if I gave them a second thought I probably would. 

Proud Buckaroo

Baitshop

phdefense

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 28, 2015, 10:35:15 pm
While on Google. I decided to search America's nfl team with the most fans. This article was first.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/14/poll-finds-broncos-surpass-cowboys-as-nfls-most-popular-team/
That's Peyton Manning fans not Bronco fans. It's a known phenomenon for those that are familiar with the subject of team fan bases.  The only fan base that is comparable to Dallas is Greenbay.

Let me site this source again. Pay attention to what happens when Manning joins the Broncos and also when he leaves the Colts.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/10/16/Research-and-Ratings/Harris-Poll.aspx

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: phdefense on August 29, 2015, 12:02:05 am
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 28, 2015, 10:35:15 pm
While on Google. I decided to search America's nfl team with the most fans. This article was first.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/14/poll-finds-broncos-surpass-cowboys-as-nfls-most-popular-team/
That's Peyton Manning fans not Bronco fans. It's a known phenomenon for those that are familiar with the subject of team fan bases.  The only fan base that is comparable to Dallas is Greenbay.

Let me site this source again. Pay attention to what happens when Manning joins the Broncos and also when he leaves the Colts.

I will make the assumption you are a Dallas Cowboys fan? I was aware that was a Peyton Manning based Poll. Lol. I posted it to be funny. I do not like the Broncos nor do I like Peyton.

Eddie Goodson

Bait, you sound like a Rogers fan bragging about winning a 7 on 7. You might have the biggest football field and more fans. You still haven't won anything in 20 years.

Valleysports

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 04, 2015, 06:46:09 am
Bait, you sound like a Rogers fan bragging about winning a 7 on 7. You might have the biggest football field and more fans. You still haven't won anything in 20 years.

So Southside IS Arkansas Team..  :D

DerekOxford

Super Bowl 50 is ours!

Baitshop

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie....once again, we're not talking about "America's best team", we're talking about "America's FAVORITE Team".....and the facts are overwhelmingly in the Dallas Cowboys favor....

Not only are they America's Favorite Team, they are worth almost 25% more than those world beater/cheater Patriots  http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/08/20/the-nfls-most-valuable-teams/

Hey, I used to hate them too, but after becoming a Cowboy fan 30+ years ago, I've gotten used to the Haterade drinkers from the other teams fans....

protegewill

Quote from: DerekOxford on August 26, 2015, 03:42:11 pm

dumbest reply ever!!

"America's Team" is not "America's Best Team," which is what every non-Cowboys fan reads it as. Instead of just realizing how that name came about, they immediately assume that the Cowboys are saying they are America's best team and every other team pales in comparison.

Here's something for you to read so you can realize how that name came about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Team

And yes, I know I used Wikipedia. Wiki is actually an excellent tool, if you know what you're looking for and the information is cited and referenced by credible sites, which in this case, it is.

Thanks. That cleared things up a bit. I automatically took America's Team to mean America's Best Team since if you represent America you have to be a winner.

protegewill

Quote from: Valleysports on August 26, 2015, 09:43:19 pm
ō
dumbest reply ever!!

so long as you know what it means...now that I know that America's Team does not mean America's Best Team..I care even less..Great debate topic though!!

Valleysports

dumbest reply ever!!

I'm glad you're not as ignorant as you were last week!  ::)

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Baitshop on September 04, 2015, 10:45:07 am

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie....once again, we're not talking about "America's best team", we're talking about "America's FAVORITE Team".....and the facts are overwhelmingly in the Dallas Cowboys favor....

Not only are they America's Favorite Team, they are worth almost 25% more than those world beater/cheater Patriots  http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/08/20/the-nfls-most-valuable-teams/

Hey, I used to hate them too, but after becoming a Cowboy fan 30+ years ago, I've gotten used to the Haterade drinkers from the other teams fans....
As I have said, you guys take your titles for jersey sales and the rest of us will pull for a winner.

SantaHog

When it comes to jersey sales, t-shirts, memorabilia, etc. there is only one possible choice. 

The ARKANSAS High Razorbacks. 

They are the Original Razorbacks in Arkansas.  The UofA was the Cardinals. 
This state bleeds Razorback Red, not anything else.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas