• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Phenix goes International

Started by ArkPhenixSoftball, July 30, 2014, 09:46:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkPhenixSoftball

First I would like to give a "Shout Out" to our 16U team coached by Jason Wildeman who was runner up in Southern Nationals.  All of our young ladies impress me everytime I see them play.  Great job ladies!!

Our Gold team went to Canada again this year and finished 5th in the Canada Cup.  We played teams from around the world, but our most memorable game was playing the New Zealand Junior White Sox.  Before the game started both teams met in the middle of the infield and our girls watched as the JWS did the traditional war dance of the Maori, or in this case a challenge dance, called the Haka.  This is a very intense dance to say the least.  The team manager of the New Zealand team, Aroha Metcalf, wrote a blog everyday so her country could see how their team was doing.  Here is what she wrote about us:

The game was vs. the Arkansas Phenix at 1pm. I said to their coach at the coin toss that I
had never met anyone from Arkansas before and he replied that he had never met anyone
from NZ before. What I really wanted to ask him was whether their uniform suppliers had
made an error and not put in the "o" as in, in Phoenix, but I thought that might be
considered rude, and I did not want to cause an international incident after all. So it looks
like I will never know if there is such as thing as a Phenix??

The Phenix were a well drilled well disciplined all blonde team (that looked like cheerleaders
with sparkly hairbands) from middle America. They swung the bat like their lives depended
on it and as a result hit the ball really hard. Our field got a hammering, and despite some
solid fielding, a couple of errors crept in. Our hitting however let us down and their field
supported the pitcher as there were very few strike outs with almost all outs being pop fly's
or ground outs. We kept fighting until the final inning but lost 0 to 4.

I can't wait until next year, GREAT JOB PHENIX!!

Are you interested in playing softball at the next level and would like to play against people from around the world?  We have several teams from 12U up to 18U Gold, go to arkansasphenix.com to learn more about us.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas