• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Basketball 2017-2018

Started by BannerMountainMan, September 27, 2017, 11:35:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ctucker

Trojanbird

bdubyab60

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 03, 2018, 05:51:03 pm
Fans got what they wanted tho
I was ok with the hire. But I wasn't like, man we got to get MA.

I do expect better and that is with any coach.

It's sort of like Bielema now. Losing games is expected. But win you lose or win and your players look disinterested, lack of effort and just plain poorly coached is the issue.

I see basically one player give max effort each time he's on the floor and that's Hall.

sportsguy80

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 05, 2018, 06:48:54 am
I was ok with the hire. But I wasn't like, man we got to get MA.

I do expect better and that is with any coach.

It's sort of like Bielema now. Losing games is expected. But win you lose or win and your players look disinterested, lack of effort and just plain poorly coached is the issue.

I see basically one player give max effort each time he's on the floor and that's Hall.
Yup and he's a true freshman... Some thought I was off track by predicting he would be a starter before the season was over. You can tell he loves the game regardless of which coach or team he plays for. I really wish Coach A would stick to a lineup that keeps Beard and Macon coming off the bench. We have too many scoreless spurts and we need balance scoring at all times during the game. It's hard to tell by the way we're playing now that at the beginning of the season we were averaging almost 100 a game.

Romeo

Darious Hall reminds me of Derek Hood. He should be a starter.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on February 05, 2018, 12:39:44 pm

Yup. He needs the ball more.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Romeo on February 05, 2018, 12:39:44 pm
I think he had more upside than Hood. Looks to be a better shooter and better handles

sportsguy80

And I don't know why Bailey isn't getting any minutes. He went from a starter to barely playing.

beach bum

Quote from: sportsguy80 on February 05, 2018, 08:00:08 pm
And I don't know why Bailey isn't getting any minutes. He went from a starter to barely playing.

I said that the LSU game.... I said "where is Bailey?"... He finally came in and was one of the few guys busting his tail. There are only a few of em and he is one of them.

bdubyab60

I'm not real sure either. Maybe something to do with loyalty to his seniors. They have a way longer leash than anyone. I guess it should be like that. However if one of those guys is putting in more effort that should be rewarded.

MA is loyal to a fault in all his decisions he makes. Refuses to put a top notch recruiter on staff, refuses to fill a spot with another coach that can cover his weaknesses. I loved all those guys as players over on the bench. But I do question their coaching ability. You shouldn't have a staff full of first coaching job guys.

If MA retains his job some changes need to be made. He can still run this system or whatever it is but bring someone in that can put some sets in for when you are struggling and be willing to make those adjustments in game.

Recruit basketball players. Not just athletes that happen to play basketball.

thebigman3

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 05, 2018, 10:34:07 pm
I'm not real sure either. Maybe something to do with loyalty to his seniors. They have a way longer leash than anyone. I guess it should be like that. However if one of those guys is putting in more effort that should be rewarded.

MA is loyal to a fault in all his decisions he makes. Refuses to put a top notch recruiter on staff, refuses to fill a spot with another coach that can cover his weaknesses. I loved all those guys as players over on the bench. But I do question their coaching ability. You shouldn't have a staff full of first coaching job guys.

If MA retains his job some changes need to be made. He can still run this system or whatever it is but bring someone in that can put some sets in for when you are struggling and be willing to make those adjustments in game.

Recruit basketball players. Not just athletes that happen to play basketball.
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Trojanbird

beach bum

I don't want to jinx us, but this funky line up of Barford, Thompson, Hall, Jones, and even Osabuohien who has not played since I can not remember when is actually moving the ball around fast and running up and down playing team basketball. Their collective overall effort is high right now too.

beach bum

February 06, 2018, 07:49:09 pm #263 Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:58:43 pm by beach bum
Osabuohein deserves some bench minutes the rest of the year out.... He has been rotating and helping on defense, taking a charge, getting offensive rebounds, and running up and down the floor hustling. I am glad MA is actually giving the guys that want to play hard minutes. This is the first time I have seen us in over a month control a game throughout and it took the role players to do it with their energy. That got our scorers out and going.

sportsguy80

I like the mix in rotation. He must have got the message about Bailey playing more too lol. Maybe just maybe we can get things figured out heading into tournament time.

beach bum

Quote from: sportsguy80 on February 06, 2018, 08:13:23 pm
I like the mix in rotation. He must have got the message about Bailey playing more too lol. Maybe just maybe we can get things figured out heading into tournament time.

Beard played less and that helped.... Letting Macon and Barford get most of the shots with 3 other guys out there that flat out want to play hard on the defensive end made us look like the old non conference Hogs. First time I have said that was a fun game to watch from us in I couldn't tell you how long.

thebigman3

Quote from: beach bum on February 06, 2018, 08:18:44 pm
Beard played less and that helped.... Letting Macon and Barford get most of the shots with 3 other guys out there that flat out want to play hard on the defensive end made us look like the old non conference Hogs. First time I have said that was a fun game to watch from us in I couldn't tell you how long.
Since Oklahoma for me lol

Redwolves8526

They definitely moved the ball A LOT better last night. It seems like on this recent losing skid, they were playing a ton of 1 on 1 ball. Last night, Macon and Barford didn't need to create their own shot as much

bdubyab60

Like the win. We showed more effort on defense. Liked some of the guys that had been in the bench getting some PT. Won this game like we probably should have.

I don't want to get to excited though. SC was a horrible offensive team and they are in the bottom of the conference for that reason. I think MA made some adjustments because of the opponent we were playing. I don't think he makes them if we are playing a better team. We will see if it continues.

Some of the same issues are still there. We were just able to win those one on one matchups. However movement was better offensively.

sportsguy80

I know our defensive intensity isn't always there but teams are shooting the three ball very well in our losses. That's why we need to continue limiting our turnovers and make good shot selections on the offensive end to keep giving ourselves a chance.

beach bum

It would be nice to have about 2 more wins in the pocket to be almost assured a berth at this point, but considering where we were at 2-4 and 4-6 at one point in league play I will take 6-6 in SEC and 17-8 overall. 4 of the next 6 and we get in no matter if we lose the first game at the SEC tourney. 3-3 and we probably need a 1 win in Saint Louis. Go 2-4 these last 6 games and they better make a deep run in the SEC tourney. The game at Ole Miss coming up is massive. Its a road game that is winnable and we have to win to get to 9-9 or 10-8.

sportsguy80

I was at the game and we played defense like we are supposed to. The refs were horrible but we kept playing hard. If we can get this consistency with the rest of our games we will be ok.

Trojanbird

Maybe these guys are beginning to get it figured out and are coming together as a TEAM!

bdubyab60

All I saw was highlights. But we beat another bad team like we should have

Trojanbird

beach bum

7-6 in SEC now and first time above .500 since being 1-0 after the Tennessee win early in the season.... A&M is on Saturday at Bud and A&M just lost a close game at Mizzou. This game worries me even at home cause A&M is going to be hungry cause they are 6-7 and do not want to drop 2 games below .500 ...... plus they are just a bad matchup for us. Gafford can not get in foul trouble against their front line and we better be making some three's against the Aggies.

bdubyab60

3 wins over the bottom of the league. But those wins are good because we beat bad teams like you should.

Play defense against A&M. Get the crowd in it and we have a shot

sportsguy80

We are starting to gel at the right time which is what every coach and fan wants. A win is a win especially when it's close to March. I'm gonna predict that we will pull out a tough win Saturday and move to 8-6 in arguably the best conference.

bdubyab60

Should have been gelled before conference play. We should be competing year in and year out for the SEC title. I know we have finished high the past couple years but basically after the first two weeks of conference play the conference title has been all but gone. Shouldn't be having to hope for other teams to lose to get a conference title.

We should want these things. The goal, or at least in my mind, isn't just making it in the tourney.

SEC crowns, SEC tourney titles and deep runs are what should be EXPECTED.

I'll think everything has gelled. When 1. We beat a team that isn't in the cellar of this conference, only one I can remember is TN. 2. Plays a full ballgame of offense and defense, 10 straight minutes without scoring in this game. 3. And the tough wins the SEC tourney and gets a seed higher than 8.

I have my doubts that we have turned some corner. Maybe we have and playing these 3 horrible teams has helped

AirWarren

18-8
7-6

Fire mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bdubyab60

Still not relevant in the overall landscape of NCAA basketball. Biggest thing we have done since he's been here is almost beat UNC once and a mediocre Kentucky team a few years back.

Does he need fired. If we slip again and don't make the tourney. Yep IMO. He won't be though. Because recruits and so on.

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 14, 2018, 12:10:19 pm
Still not relevant in the overall landscape of NCAA basketball. Biggest thing we have done since he's been here is almost beat UNC once and a mediocre Kentucky team a few years back.

Does he need fired. If we slip again and don't make the tourney. Yep IMO. He won't be though. Because recruits and so on.

What's relevant in the basketball landscape?

26-0?
13-0?

bdubyab60

Quote from: AirWarren on February 14, 2018, 12:41:21 pm
What's relevant in the basketball landscape?

26-0?
13-0?
Stated in other posts. SEC titles and so on. We have been ranked twice for like a total of less than a week.

I expect more. You can be happy with these results if you want, that's your prerogative

beach bum

I think with Macon and Barford back it would have been nice to be sitting at 20-6 right now as a tough, but realistic option heading into the year..... But I will take where we are at right now considering the way we were playing effort wise a month ago was appalling and a head scratcher to say the least. As long as we don't lose more than we win the rest of the way out we are safely in. We won't even have to worry about one of those play in games as an 11 or 12 seed as one of Lunardi's "last 4 in" category. I just want to see us get in and play with the effort we have the last 3 games. You just have to get in to even have a chance. I think realistically you would rather be the 10 seed this season than the 8/9 game. There is a massive drop off between teams defenses that look like they will be a 1 seed like Xavier, Villanova, Michigan State, and especially Virginia and what are the 2 seeds. Teams at the 2 line like a Kansas have suspect defense at times and I would like our chance with those teams. We do not want to play a Virginia or Villanova. Their style would put the clamp down on our style and it would not be pretty.

beach bum

February 14, 2018, 02:02:47 pm #284 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:38:55 pm by beach bum
Here is another reason people are not satisfied in general and its all around college basketball.... Has anyone else noticed the last 4 or 5 years with the expansion to large power conferences of as many as 14 teams and the new look Big East of new teams like Creighton, Xavier, and Butler in them. That has caused more teams with "suspect or soft" resumes to get in because ten years ago more mid majors made the tournament. I can remember when the Missouri Valley had 5 teams make the NCAA tourney about a decade ago with Southern Illinois as a 1 seed even. The Atlantic 10 used to routinely get 4 teams in almost every year. I remember the old look Conference USA getting 7 teams one season. What this has done is it is allowing more teams that finish 9-9 in their conference to make the NCAA tournament and even rarely 8-10 teams. You may see Kentucky go 8-10 this season and get a decent seed even. That goes for Oklahoma too now. When teams like Wichita State, Creighton, Butler, and others bailed for better leagues it will take time for new mid major teams to assert themselves as new powers in place of the old mid majors. That is why people at Arkansas or anywhere for that matter should not be satisfied by getting in the NCAA tournament with a losing conference record. There is nothing acceptable about that. Its not any schools fault, but merely a transitioning of times that has created this scenario for many schools. Just 5 years ago our current resume we would be right on the bubble, but now we are currently safely in because the absence of as many mid major powers as the past. Heck, I remember a year when Syracuse went 10-6 in the old Big East and did not get a bid because some mid majors took their place. Virginia Tech's coach got fired because his two years going 10-6 in the ACC got them in the NIT and no bid to the big dance.

beach bum

Crazy how the RPI and strength of schedule plays into the modern NCAA tournament. Lunardi updated is bracketology today and we have moved down to an 11 even after winning 3 games in a row. When we were 4-6 in SEC after the LSU loss he had us sitting as a 9 seed even after the loss. We were a 10 seed last time he updated before the Ole Miss game. When we lost he kept us steady and now that we are beating the bottom of the league he drops us.

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on February 15, 2018, 03:46:12 pm
Crazy how the RPI and strength of schedule plays into the modern NCAA tournament. Lunardi updated is bracketology today and we have moved down to an 11 even after winning 3 games in a row. When we were 4-6 in SEC after the LSU loss he had us sitting as a 9 seed even after the loss. We were a 10 seed last time he updated before the Ole Miss game. When we lost he kept us steady and now that we are beating the bottom of the league he drops us.
Good thing Lunardi's bracket isn't the official one even though it's not that difficult to figure out who's getting what seed. I think his has been somewhat accurate but I remember when ESPN hired him to compare his brackets to everyone else's.

bdubyab60

He's usually fairly close. But it does lend some credence to what I've said. Happy for the 3 in a row.

Those are BAD teams though and they don't boost you very much. Our best win on the season at one time doesn't look as good either with OUs slide.

A slipup at home and we start knocking on the bubble door possibly

bdubyab60

So I'm watching Finebaum. He has Lunardi on talking about seedlings. Has notable seedings. No mention of  Hogs. Relevance folks.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 16, 2018, 04:09:51 pm
So I'm watching Finebaum. He has Lunardi on talking about seedlings. Has notable seedings. No mention of  Hogs. Relevance folks.

I'm just happy they talked about something besides Alabama football  8) haha

bdubyab60

Nope. Now it's Bama and Auburn basketball they are talking about now.

Trojanbird

bdubyab60

bdubyab60

Holy crap am out of bounds play after a TO

sportsguy80

Statement game. Big blue nation up next...

beach bum

Wow, every team in front of us that has played lost. The SEC standings are a log jam. We are tied for 3rd with a boatload of teams. Let's all root for Tennessee to lose at Georgia too later and we will be one game out of the 2 spot.

Auburn 11-3
Tennessee 9-4
Arkansas 8-6
Missouri 8-6
Florida 8-6
Alabama 8-6
Kentucky 7-7
Miss State 6-7
LSU 6-8
Texas A&M 6-8
Georgia 5-8
Vanderbilt 5-9
South Carolina 5-9
Ole Miss 4-9

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on February 17, 2018, 05:18:28 pm
Wow, every team in front of us that has played lost. The SEC standings are a log jam. We are tied for 3rd with a boatload of teams. Let's all root for Tennessee to lose at Georgia too later and we will be one game out of the 2 spot.

Auburn 11-3
Tennessee 9-4
Arkansas 8-6
Missouri 8-6
Florida 8-6
Alabama 8-6
Kentucky 7-7
Miss State 6-7
LSU 6-8
Texas A&M 6-8
Georgia 5-8
Vanderbilt 5-9
South Carolina 5-9
Ole Miss 4-9
Amazing what a losing or for our sake a winning streak can do. The SEC tournament should be a very good one.

bdubyab60

That win there. Was better than the past 3 combined. That was a complete game. Offensively and defensively. Playing like that against a poor shooting Kentucky team. I like our chances to beat them easily.

bdubyab60

I'll pump the brakes a little and just take a win

AirWarren

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas