• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2008 MLB Thread

Started by msubulldogs21, March 09, 2008, 12:39:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WBF †

Quote from: Jarred on March 14, 2008, 01:03:57 am
Quote from: WBF † on March 14, 2008, 12:10:36 am
Troy Hudson? I'm rolling.

(I don't wanna use the quote feature - but this is to Jarred)

You....don't get it. Winning is everything, from T-ball to World Series. I will almost guarantee that everyone on this board would truck the catcher before pulling up or sliding. But since we're not cool like you and playing upper-level ball, we're wrong, right?
Yeah, something like that. The purpose of spring training games is to get guys at bats against live pitching before the season. I'm not sure if you've ever been to a spring training game to know what it's like, but the big league guys get an ab or two and are done, and it's younger guys showing what they've got against big league pitching. If it was all about winning in spring training, they'd leave the 9 starters on the field for 9 innings.

To be such a "faithful" person, you can really be an a*s sometimes. Your comments about me playing, were unnecessary.
No, I haven't. Shame huh?

About you playing? What? QF and others will bash you all day and yet I say one small thing and you get upset? Wow.

Those young players have to earn their spot in the lineup, or somewhere close to it. That won't happen pulling up at home. Plain and simple and you know it.

I think Troy Hudson played for the T'wolves back in the day.

Rizzo

Quote from: WBF † on March 14, 2008, 01:11:49 pm
Quote from: Jarred on March 14, 2008, 01:03:57 am
Quote from: WBF † on March 14, 2008, 12:10:36 am
Troy Hudson? I'm rolling.

(I don't wanna use the quote feature - but this is to Jarred)

You....don't get it. Winning is everything, from T-ball to World Series. I will almost guarantee that everyone on this board would truck the catcher before pulling up or sliding. But since we're not cool like you and playing upper-level ball, we're wrong, right?
Yeah, something like that. The purpose of spring training games is to get guys at bats against live pitching before the season. I'm not sure if you've ever been to a spring training game to know what it's like, but the big league guys get an ab or two and are done, and it's younger guys showing what they've got against big league pitching. If it was all about winning in spring training, they'd leave the 9 starters on the field for 9 innings.

To be such a "faithful" person, you can really be an a*s sometimes. Your comments about me playing, were unnecessary.
No, I haven't. Shame huh?

About you playing? What? QF and others will bash you all day and yet I say one small thing and you get upset? Wow.

Those young players have to earn their spot in the lineup, or somewhere close to it. That won't happen pulling up at home. Plain and simple and you know it.

I think Troy Hudson played for the T'wolves back in the day.
You think how you think about the situation, and I'll think the way I do.

We'll agree to disagree.

WBF †

Last time I checked, my boy Yunel Escobar was 14-28 with 6 RBIs. I'm tellin' y'all, he's gonna be a beast this year!

Footballer

Quote from: WBF † on March 14, 2008, 03:21:04 pm<br />Last time I checked, my boy Yunel Escobar was 14-28 with 6 RBIs. I'm tellin' y'all, he's gonna be a beast this year!<br />

He'll have to step up and fill Renteria's void. I've got faith in him though.

WBF †

Quote from: Footballer on March 14, 2008, 03:35:37 pm
Quote from: WBF † on March 14, 2008, 03:21:04 pm<br />Last time I checked, my boy Yunel Escobar was 14-28 with 6 RBIs. I'm tellin' y'all, he's gonna be a beast this year!<br />

He'll have to step up and fill Renteria's void. I've got faith in him though.
All ER could do was hit for average and score. Shouldn't be all that hard.

Footballer

He was still an All-Star SS. His defense was key, too.

WBF †

Quote from: Footballer on March 14, 2008, 04:02:42 pm
He was still an All-Star SS. His defense was key, too.
YE does make a bunch of boots. I'll admit that.

WBF †

Our post play is looking quite good so far. Surprised me that it be THIS good.

Rizzo

March 14, 2008, 06:26:50 pm #58 Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 06:28:23 pm by Jarred
To add a little more validity to my argument about Spring Training games. The comedian, Billy Crystal was the leadoff man for the Yankees yesterday.

http://sports.myway.com/news/03132008/v9326.html

msubulldogs21

Quote from: Jarred on March 14, 2008, 06:26:50 pmThe comedian, Billy Crystal was the leadoff man for the Yankees yesterday.

Former Mississippi State pitcher Paul Maholm struck him out. Saw him in an interview with Crystal after the game.

RHS

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on March 14, 2008, 06:28:48 pm
Quote from: Jarred on March 14, 2008, 06:26:50 pmThe comedian, Billy Crystal was the leadoff man for the Yankees yesterday.

Former Mississippi State pitcher Paul Maholm struck him out. Saw him in an interview with Crystal after the game.

Wish he would have beaned him.

WBF †

Quote from: RHS on March 14, 2008, 11:03:05 pm
Quote from: msubulldogs21 on March 14, 2008, 06:28:48 pm

Wish he would have beaned him.
Same, just to see the reaction.

WBF †

From the NYY and TB altercation:

Duncan and Melky Cabrera suspended first 3 games of season.
JG, hitting coach, and pitching coach(?) all fined.

Jonny Gomes, 2 games.

AB™

Quote from: WBF † on March 14, 2008, 04:32:37 pm

Post play?  Are our big men weak crashing the boards?

As for Yunel Escobar, I am excited about his potential, but lets not get too excited until he puts up the same numbers in games that mean something.  While I wasn't as high on Renteria as some, he still is a good and proven SS. 

WBF †

Quote from: AB on March 15, 2008, 02:31:24 am
Quote from: WBF † on March 14, 2008, 04:32:37 pm

Post play?  Are our big men weak crashing the boards?

As for Yunel Escobar, I am excited about his potential, but lets not get too excited until he puts up the same numbers in games that mean something.  While I wasn't as high on Renteria as some, he still is a good and proven SS. 

LOL wrong thread!

msubulldogs21

Well the MLB season officially gets underway bright and early at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. The Red Sox and A's begin a 2 game series in Japan. Anybody else planning on getting up and watching it? Despite the fact that I'm on spring break I will have my alarm set and get up to watch the game. Dice-K will be pitching for Boston. Hopefully he throws a gem being at his old stomping grounds. The adrenaline will be flowing.

bulldogs1159

I will be up at 6:30. For class at 8.

AB™

I probably won't even go to sleep until the game is over.  I've actually started slowly working my way back to a normal sleeping schedule.  Which for me means falling asleep between 2 and 3 a.m. and feeling like actually getting out of bed before 11.  But tonight I think I'll just stay awake through the game if I can.  I don't have any classes tomorrow so I can just sleep after it is over.  With all that said...PLAY BALL!!  I'm stoked that the season is finally underway.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: AB on March 24, 2008, 08:53:06 pmI probably won't even go to sleep until the game is over.

I thought about doing that, but we're going to Memphis all day tomorrow and that wouldn't be the greatest idea. Instead I probably won't go to sleep until 1:00 or 2:00, take a brief nap, then just get up at 5:00 and watch the game. Not a lot of sleep but I'm sure I'll manage.

Footballer

I'll probably get up and watch a little bit of the game. How much I watch depends on how tired I am. I've got three classes tomorrow but they should be a breeze.

I made a bet with a buddy today to spice up this baseball season. He bet me that the Yankees would have a better record than my Braves.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: Footballer on March 25, 2008, 12:08:31 amHe bet me that the Yankees would have a better record than my Braves.

I wouldn't have taken that.

RHS

If I'm still up, I might stay awake and watch some of it. Got a court date at 2 and don't need to miss it so I might goto bed before it comes on.

bulldogs1159

Well its 5 and I cant sleep. Might as well watch some baseball*.

*- Denotes American League baseball (not as good as the National league game :) )

msubulldogs21

Red Sox win 6-5 in 10 innings.

Thanks to Directv channel 209 being out all morning I didn't get to see it. I'm still mad about that. Anyway, closer than I had hoped it would be. We were actually losing 4-3 in the 9th when Brandon Moss hit a solo homer to tie it. Manny drove in 2 of his 4 RBI's in the 10th to put us up 6-4 and Papelbon got the save in the bottom on the inning.

Nice 1-0 start to the season.

Rizzo

Paps got lucky that guy made a base running mistake, or the game would have been tied.

bulldogs1159

Thank you Manny for a good start to my fantasy season.

RHS

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on March 25, 2008, 10:33:25 am
Red Sox win 6-5 in 10 innings.

If not for my court date, I would have watched the replay on ESPN2HD.

Rizzo

Court Date, what'd you do?

RHS

Quote from: Jarred on March 25, 2008, 06:11:56 pm

Speeding and no proof of insurance.

Insurance got waved since I brought my card. Speeding was 113 bucks but doesn't go on the record.

Rizzo

Quote from: RHS on March 25, 2008, 06:14:12 pm

Speeding and no proof of insurance.

Insurance got waved since I brought my card. Speeding was 113 bucks but doesn't go on the record.
That's not too bad then. Keeping it off the record is clutch.

AB™

Well, I stayed up all night and through the game and now feel kind of worthless since I didn't wake up until about 4:30 this afternoon.  If I had known they were going to replay it on ESPN2 I would have just watched it then.  Still was a good game though.

Indiana Jones

He rooted for Memphis in the NCAAs ;)

msubulldogs21

Quote from: RHS on March 25, 2008, 06:04:49 pm
Quote from: msubulldogs21 on March 25, 2008, 10:33:25 amRed Sox win 6-5 in 10 innings.
If not for my court date, I would have watched the replay on ESPN2HD.

I didn't even know there was going to be a replay. I was gone all day and wouldn't have been able to see it anyway though. I can't tell you how pisse.d off I was when my Directv didn't work this morning. I woke up and was all amped up for the game, then the channel didn't have a signal. I wasn't the only one though - it was all Directv customers from what I understand.

msubulldogs21

Jon Lester and Rich Harden are on the mound tomorrow. Not the most favorable pitching matchup for us, but hopefully Lester can keep us in it long enough to get to Harden. Work that pitch count guys.

Thank the Lord this is the final game in Japan. Ugh.

RHS

I think you worded it nicely in that early morning text I got. I might just stay up to watch this one. No work for me tomorrow.

AB™

I'm trying to decide if I want to sleep for awhile now and wake up and watch it or stay up again all night and watch it and skip class tomorrow.  I only have one at 1:30, but if I stay up and watch the game and then fall asleep afterwards I won't feel like getting out of bed at all until at least 2:30.  And, if I go to class and by the time I get back from Fayetteville I'll miss close to half the replay.

But, sleep is overrated. 

bulldogs1159

Justin, there is a good chance I am up for this game again. I don't have class till 12:30 and its the only one I have tomorrow so I can get as little sleep as I want.

WBF †

My joy will come on Sundee when the Braves face the Nats.

msubulldogs21

Well, crap. A's win 5-1 today.

Rich Harden looked GOOD today. If he can stay healthy, watch out. He's got some sick stuff. On the other hand, Jon Lester was wild and all over the place. He really needs to work on his control, because that's the one thing he has struggled with since he was called up in '06.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little worried about our starting rotation right now. Beckett should be back soon, but after Dice-K (who can be wild himself at times) there isn't much stability. Wakefield is hit and miss, Buchholz has barely pitched in the majors, Schilling is out for at least half the season, and who knows about Bartolo Colon. Couple that with Varitek looked putrid offensively and there's some cause for concern.

bulldogs1159

Whoever had Harden got some points from him today.

RHS

Dice-K got off to a real shakey start yesterday, espicially in the first inning.

EddiesMustache

Quote from: Jarred on March 13, 2008, 12:27:46 am
Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on March 12, 2008, 10:40:01 pm
Quote from: Jarred on March 12, 2008, 10:30:18 pm
^ You failed to mention the collision at homeplate at an earlier game in Spring Training. It's a fairly well known, unwritten rule that you don't take out the catcher in a Spring Training game. They make a dirty play, you retaliate, it's how the game's played.
You have the uniforms on, people pay to see it, score is kept. I saw nothing wrong with the play at home. It was not dirty at all, just baseball. God forbid someone touch a yankee.
Regular season, when you're fighting for a playoff spot, go ahead, take out the catcher. But in an exhibition game...that's a little over the top. The catcher's not out for 10-12 weeks with a broken wrist.

I just started reading this thread, so what I'm about to say may have already been said...if so I apologize.  It is stupid to say you can't hit the catcher in a spring training game.  When that kid was rounding third base, has wasn't thinking about some stupid UNWRITTEN rule, but he was thinking about trying to earn a spot on a big league club.  I'm a huge baseball fan.  I live & die with the Cardinals (this year may kill me), but baseball is full of stupid unwritten rules (don't steal signs, don't bunt to break up a no-hitter, etc.).  Baseball needs to get over it and just play.  If the catcher doesn't want to see contact, go play golf or something.

AB™

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on March 26, 2008, 04:42:02 pm
Well, crap. A's win 5-1 today.

Rich Harden looked GOOD today. If he can stay healthy, watch out. He's got some sick stuff. On the other hand, Jon Lester was wild and all over the place. He really needs to work on his control, because that's the one thing he has struggled with since he was called up in '06.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little worried about our starting rotation right now. Beckett should be back soon, but after Dice-K (who can be wild himself at times) there isn't much stability. Wakefield is hit and miss, Buchholz has barely pitched in the majors, Schilling is out for at least half the season, and who knows about Bartolo Colon. Couple that with Varitek looked putrid offensively and there's some cause for concern.

Harden has good enough stuff to be a Cy Young candidate if he can remain healthy all season long.  Then again if he does stay healthy, put up great numbers, and either win or finish high in the Cy Youn voting, he will be dealt in the offseason.

After watching these two games I couldn't believe how many no names the A's had in their lineup.  I mean I've heard of them all, I just can't see them winning very many games with that offense and no reliable pitching after Harden and maybe Blanton.

msubulldogs21

The Angels rotation has really gone south in a hurry. Kelvim Escobar is out for the season with a tear in his shoulder that requires season ending surgery. John Lackey is out 6-8 weeks as well. That leaves a rotation of Weaver, Garland, Mosely, Santana, and Saunders for the time being. When you take into account their weak offense and how good the Mariners are looking, there are some serious problems out in LA.

AB™

The Angels are lucky that they play in a weak division.  Even with Lackey being out for around two months, and Escobar is gone for the season, they still should remain in the hunt for the AL West crown.  Oakland may be a scrappy team all season long, but if you take one look at their lineup you will quickly write off any hopes of them winning more than 80 games.  The Angels don't neccessarily have that terrible of an offense.  Especially when you compare it to the rest of the division.  Texas plays in a hitters park and has a terrible pitching staff.  Obviously they are better offensively than defensively.  But the injuries to Lackey and Escobar hurt.  Tori Hunter hasn't ever been an offensive juggernaut by any means, but still has been a steady bat in the lineup throughout his career.  Garrett Anderson has gone from a perrenial All-Star that hit for a high average to a below average hitter in just a couple of seasons. 

RHS

Opens the door a bit wider for my Mariners.

AB™

Seattle should be very solid this year.  They got Bedard to anchor their staff.  He is in a much weaker division now.  Especially in regards when it comes to the other three lineups within the division.  If Felix Hernandez can stay healthy this season and pitch like he did last season when healthy, and Bedard pitches like he is capable, then the Mariners have one of the best 1-2 punches in the entire league on their pitching staff.

msubulldogs21

I've been watching the Red Sox/Dodgers exhibition game which is being played tonight at the LA Coliseum. There's something like 93,000 people there. It's 201 FEET down the LF line. I kid you not. A player just hit a blooper down the line and it hit the top of the wall. It's pretty comical to watch.

suspended

I'm lookin for the Braves to win the NL East. Yes i know that the Phillies and Mets are on the top two teams in that division in a lot of people's opinions, but i don't care. I'm a diehard Braves fan and I think they'll surprise everybody. Probably another late season meltdown by the Mets will happen again.

bulldogs1159

Braves are becoming the hot pick for media members.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas