• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Harvey of Jonesboro most slept on player in the state?

Started by BirdCall, January 10, 2017, 06:22:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BirdCall

I have heard Ben Harvey of Jonesboro is really good and deserves some D1 offers but doesn't have a single one. What is the deal does he not play for a sponsored AAU team in the summer or what? Heard he is good like Austin Reaves of Cedar Ridge not sure if that's true or not.

ricepig

Quote from: BirdCall on January 10, 2017, 06:22:21 pm
I have heard Ben Harvey of Jonesboro is really good and deserves some D1 offers but doesn't have a single one. What is the deal does he not play for a sponsored AAU team in the summer or what? Heard he is good like Austin Reaves of Cedar Ridge not sure if that's true or not.

Good player, but I wouldn't say "like Reaves" at all. He reportedly had an offer from ASU from Brady, but I doubt it's still there, but I don't know. He played for Team AAO this summer and I think has played for one of the Wings teams previously. He may be a little bit of a tweener at 6'4"-6'5", but has a good shot and attacks the basket well.

BirdCall

So he is playing with possibly 4-5 other college basketball players on his team and I have seen where he scored 29 points against Vashon #6 ranked school in Missouri with a team full potential college basketball players that's impressive. I'm pretty sure if he played in a 3A like Reaves he could average 30-35 points a game easily standing at 6'4-6'5 with the athleticism and shot he has from videos I have seen just saying

ricepig

BirdCall

Dragon77

If MA reads this thread, he can comment on Ben Harvey's recruiting. I heard two scouts at a JHS game, a few weeks before the Poplar Bluff tournament, saying he was a D1 player, low to mid-level.         

MDXPHD

Quote from: Dragon77 on January 10, 2017, 11:10:54 pm
If MA reads this thread, he can comment on Ben Harvey's recruiting. I heard two scouts at a JHS game, a few weeks before the Poplar Bluff tournament, saying he was a D1 player, low to mid-level.        

So, Arkansas?

The Green Arrow

Not as good as Reaves. Harvey is no doubt a good player, but not like Reaves. I believe he will play at a smaller D1 school.

jrhall2

BirdCall

Quote from: The Green Arrow on January 11, 2017, 08:45:36 am
Not as good as Reaves. Harvey is no doubt a good player, but not like Reaves. I believe he will play at a smaller D1 school.
What is your reason for saying he isn't as good as Reaves....He plays in the 6A where there is a swamp full of good basketball players that start and who come off the bench  on each high school team that you have to play your A game every night if you want to win not including the non conference games they play against top schools. Not downing the 3A but on every 3A team there might be 2-3 ok to good kids on a team and the rest are just out there cause you need 5 on court to be able to play.

ricepig

Quote from: BirdCall on January 11, 2017, 03:22:43 pm
What is your reason for saying he isn't as good as Reaves....He plays in the 6A where there is a swamp full of good basketball players that start and who come off the bench  on each high school team that you have to play your A game every night if you want to win not including the non conference games they play against top schools. Not downing the 3A but on every 3A team there might be 2-3 ok to good kids on a team and the rest are just out there cause you need 5 on court to be able to play.

Well, some 6A teams are good, and some couldn't beat a good 2A/3A team, lol. Jonesboro is playing in a mixed conference of 6A and 5A teams, in fact, because there are 10 teams in the conference, it's hampered their OOC schedule. Jonesboro plays Tulsa Central in the MLK Challenge on Saturday.

Ben's a good player, it isn't like he hasn't been scouted/seen, hopefully he gets some offers he wants.

The Green Arrow

It's just my opinion honestly. Reaves has gotten off to a good start at a consistently good D1 basketball program. I haven't seen too many people that can score the ball like Reaves can. He did play in the 3A and I understand that that was a weak classification, but he did what he was supposed to do while playing in 3A. Averaging 30 some odd points is incredible no matter the classifcation. He always showed up in big games including 73 against the 5A champ Forrest City. Averaged 43 in the state tournament and 48 ppg in the NEA tournament which was one of the most impressive four games from any HS player I have ever seen. Could Harvey have done this had he played on that team instead? I don't know the answer to that. Harvey is indeed a very good basketball player and I am definitely on the side that says he is underrated. But I also believe Reaves is probably the most underrated player to come out of Arkansas in the recent years. Just my opinion.

Redwolves8526

He isn't as good as Reaves for a few reasons:

He doesn't handle the ball nearly as well. Reaves hardly turned the ball over and was very good at creating his own shot and breaking down defenders off the dribble with no screen.

Reaves was quicker. Probably didn't seem like it, but Austin covered so much ground in very little time. Harvey can get to the rim, yes. But Austin could get there so quick from the top of the key with the ball in his hand. Unlike anyone I saw in the state last year besides Monk.

Reaves had a much better post game. He was a dog down on the block and a very underrated rebounder. He was able to play with his back at the basket and had a lot of moves to get to the rim, and he was great at finishing. You don't see Harvey do that often.

I still like Harvey as a basketball player. Just don't think he's in the same league as Reaves when it comes to versatility.

Marblehog

Can someone please tell me why Anderson recruited Hazen over Reaves?  Or Bailey over him or Cook over him?  Geesh

ricepig

Quote from: Marblehog on January 12, 2017, 01:13:42 pm
Can someone please tell me why Anderson recruited Hazen over Reaves?  Or Bailey over him or Cook over him?  Geesh

I pretty sure under the forum's tab there's a "Search function", it would probably give you pages of responses, haha.

bbfan89

Harvey is a very good high school player but he is no Spencer Reaves period. Probably more of a Harding or some other small college. he is not nearly as good as the JHS kid Jacob Gipson that recently finished his college career.

ricepig

Quote from: bbfan89 on January 24, 2017, 10:38:01 pm
Harvey is a very good high school player but he is no Spencer Reaves period. Probably more of a Harding or some other small college. he is not nearly as good as the JHS kid Jacob Gipson that recently finished his college career.

Hmm, I don't know about that Jacob was more of a pure shooter, while Ben can post and drive to the hoop better. Probably not the exact same style to make a comparison.

Redwolves8526

Jacob Gipson could not do near as much as Ben. More of just a shooter. Ben has a lot higher ceiling

BirdCall

Yea for you to put his name in the conversation with any D2 school is crazy. Ben is surely a D1 player and would run circles around Jacob Gibson you gotta be kidding me. If Ben went to Harding he would be there Number 1 go to player from day 1. Jacob Gibson didn't start actually playing like he should till his senior year at Harding.

ricepig

Quote from: BirdCall on January 25, 2017, 12:58:56 pm
Yea for you to put his name in the conversation with any D2 school is crazy. Ben is surely a D1 player and would run circles around Jacob Gibson you gotta be kidding me. If Ben went to Harding he would be there Number 1 go to player from day 1. Jacob Gibson didn't start actually playing like he should till his senior year at Harding.

I guess we'll find out later on this spring, hopefully he gets a chance to play where he wants to.

ricepig

Saw a tweet where Ben and Czar Perry are visiting Wichita St this weekend.

BirdCall

So for you all to say he isn't as good as Reaves isn't it kind of crazy the same school Reaves is at wants Harvey too. Not sure Czar will think about going there after JUCO because the coach there plays like a 10-12 man rotation only giving his guys 15-20 mins a game and Czar wouldn't like that I don't think.

ricepig

Quote from: BirdCall on February 04, 2017, 12:10:01 pm
So for you all to say he isn't as good as Reaves isn't it kind of crazy the same school Reaves is at wants Harvey too. Not sure Czar will think about going there after JUCO because the coach there plays like a 10-12 man rotation only giving his guys 15-20 mins a game and Czar wouldn't like that I don't think.

Going on a visit isn't the exact same as a school "wanting" you. If it's an official visit, then that ramps up the interest, for sure.

BirdCall

I'm pretty sure the only reason they went on a visit is because they want both of them just saying.

ricepig

Quote from: BirdCall on February 06, 2017, 07:37:54 pm
I'm pretty sure the only reason they went on a visit is because they want both of them just saying.

Time will tell.

MA

Just seeing this. Sorry for being late to this awesome party. I handled the majority of Austin's recruitment and I took Ben and Czar to Wichita last weekend.

Austin is quite a bit better than Ben. And that's no knock on Ben at all. Ben will probably be an usher in my wedding lol. I'm as high on Ben Harvey as anyone.

Austin is a better shooter, scorer, ball handler, passer, and has a higher IQ. But those are all strengths of Harvey also. They are just totally different in their approach even tho they have similar skill sets. Austin is a PG. Harvey is a wing. They both have good height, Ben is 6'5 and Austin is 6'6 now. Both are great athletes vertically but lack athleticism literally. Both have high IQs and great feel.

Austin is a way better ball handler. And a little quicker. Ben is better in the mid range, especially creating his shot from the mid post. Austin is more crafty and can create his own shot off the bounce. Ben can't really do that as well.

The main difference is mentality. Austin Reaves is a killer. Ben is a let the game come to him type kid when he is playing well. Austin tries to rip your heart out.

Ben Harvey is a D1 player. What level? I'm not exactly sure. It depends on him. He has to develop some more toughness. I'm shocked he doesn't have 10 low major offers. Wichita St is interested in Ben to some extent. But ONLY if he goes to prep school and reclassifies to 2018 and develops his quickness and toughness. They like him offensively. Ben is a GIFTED scorer.

Love both of those guys! Glad we are talking about them!

cannon

Just an observation:  VV had a point guard last season named Alexander Gorten, that was a similar player to Harvey, except Gorton was quicker and a much more dynamic scorer.  Averaged mid-20's per game and occasionally scored more than 40.

Gorton got zero D1 offers, to my knowledge, and last I heard he was playing at a prep school around Atlanta. He DID receive an offer to Harding, but that offer was withdrawn.

D1 ain't as easy as people make it sound.

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: cannon on February 13, 2017, 10:42:15 pm
Just an observation:  VV had a point guard last season named Alexander Gorten, that was a similar player to Harvey, except Gorton was quicker and a much more dynamic scorer.  Averaged mid-20's per game and occasionally scored more than 40.

Gorton got zero D1 offers, to my knowledge, and last I heard he was playing at a prep school around Atlanta. He DID receive an offer to Harding, but that offer was withdrawn.

D1 ain't as easy as people make it sound.

X was more of a dynamic scorer because he had to be, there wasn't anybody else on his team that really was on his level to help. Ben doesn't have to take over because there's D-1 talent everywhere, he has the option of letting the game come to him.

MA

Ya I take Ben over X. Both are good players. Ben is a little better.

cannon

Having watched both of those players extensively, I'm going to respectfully disagree on which is the better player.

AHS2005

Redwolves8526

Quote from: AHS2005 on February 23, 2017, 12:30:36 pm
Taviron Oliver > Ben Harvey

Come on man. Don't make us tell coach on you. You aren't better than Ben

AHS2005

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on February 23, 2017, 02:07:20 pm
Come on man. Don't make us tell coach on you. You aren't better than Ben

Ben is a joke and he doesn't play anyone...a bunch of unathletic farmers from East Arkansas...come on man..

Redwolves8526

Quote from: AHS2005 on February 23, 2017, 03:31:47 pm

Ben is a joke and he doesn't play anyone...a bunch of unathletic farmers from East Arkansas...come on man..

When was the last time Texarkana won the state championship in basketball?

AHS2005

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on February 24, 2017, 10:16:13 am
When was the last time Texarkana won the state championship in basketball?

1977 and prolly 2017 jerk face

mijally

AHS2005

Quote from: mijally on February 24, 2017, 07:02:44 pm
6 on 6?

6 on 6..im lost dude..im focused how much trophy polish barry the great is about to have to purchase..#WPS #REGIME

mijally

Quote from: AHS2005 on February 24, 2017, 07:12:27 pm
6 on 6..im lost dude..im focused how much trophy polish barry the great is about to have to purchase..#WPS #REGIME
That's what my sister played in '77. Defense.

AHS2005

Quote from: mijally on February 24, 2017, 07:49:27 pm
That's what my sister played in '77. Defense.

i was born in 87..im all about that run and gun homie

Redwolves8526

AHS2005

fastfeet77

-  and Ben Harvey would tell you he doesn't care who is better...as long as his TEAM keeps wining and gets that Ring ...and that TEAM attitude is what makes Ben and Jonesboro > this year.

cannon

Quote from: fastfeet77 on February 28, 2017, 01:35:59 pm
-  and Ben Harvey would tell you he doesn't care who is better...as long as his TEAM keeps wining and gets that Ring ...and that TEAM attitude is what makes Ben and Jonesboro > this year.

Okay, but the title of this thread and the OP's point suggests that Harvey seemed to be getting passed over by D1 schools. Yes, JHS has an incredible team and yes, they're playing together extraordinarily well.  Moreover, I'm sure everyone reading this thread appreciates your TEAM loyalty and support as a JHS fan.  But if you don't think Harvey, who is a smart kid and a great athlete, cares about whether scouts notice him or pass over him, it is possible that you have lost your mind. Ring or no ring, that kid loves the game and wants to play it at the next level.

AHS2005

Ben Harvey is okay..i apologize for dogging the kid for sure..i walked up to him last night and told him he was a baller...He's a mid major D1 talent for sure..that fadeaway he hit last night was a D1 shot all day

BirdCall

It's about time the haters are starting to come to their senses about this kid.

ToughGuy91

I've watched the kid play a few games this season and to me reeves is just a better basketball player, he's much more explosive and can see the court better. Ben will be at a D1 college in the end of all this im sure! I'm just looking forward to the game to see what he's about!!

pitchperfect

No knock at all on # 10 white boy Ben. He can play. Like his game a lot, but Austin Reeves was a rare talent. As close to a young Pete Maravich as I have seen. Just a very creative player with out of this world basketball skills. Ben Harvey can probably fill out a roster at a High D-1 school or get playing time at a mid major. If Reeve's academics had been a little stronger, I think he would have had a Razorback offer.

MA

Whoever keeps telling people that Austin Reaves Academics are what kept Arkansas from offering is an idiot. Arkansas is not a higher level of academics than Wichita. The NCAA has set academic requirements to be qualified to play. Austin was fully qualified or Wichita wouldn't have been able to take him and play him.  Arkansas didn't offer because they did not want him. They offered him a walk on spot AFTER he had already committed to Wichita St. Early in his recruitment there was a question of if he would qualify. But that was answered early his senior year that he would.

It's getting pretty old having to correct people on this. He was qualified. Arkansas did not want him.

The Green Arrow

Arkansas just flat out swung and missed with Reaves. Would've helped that team a lot. However, I also feel that Wichita St, at this point, is just as good as a place to play college basketball as Arkansas is. They, along with many other schools, did not think he was as good as he looked. Marshall has talked about him being the future of the Wichita St team and Reaves found his way onto the court as the game was on the line against Kentucky in the tournament.

ricepig

Quote from: MA on March 29, 2017, 11:19:51 pm
Whoever keeps telling people that Austin Reaves Academics are what kept Arkansas from offering is an idiot. Arkansas is not a higher level of academics than Wichita. The NCAA has set academic requirements to be qualified to play. Austin was fully qualified or Wichita wouldn't have been able to take him and play him.  Arkansas didn't offer because they did not want him. They offered him a walk on spot AFTER he had already committed to Wichita St. Early in his recruitment there was a question of if he would qualify. But that was answered early his senior year that he would.

It's getting pretty old having to correct people on this. He was qualified. Arkansas did not want him.

Actually, for "everyday" admittance, there is a difference. However, as far as admittance for an athletic scholarship, you can get a waiver. It is also possible for an "everyday" student to appeal and get this waiver.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas