• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sleepers??

Started by SportsLover65, February 10, 2015, 08:51:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SportsLover65

Baseball has a sleepers thread so let's get it going in softball......

LowerAR

Isn't that everyone who has not been listed on the other threads.  :D OK, I'll bite. El Dorado could be a sleeper from the South in 6A. The only strong teams in the conference are Benton and Sheridan so if they play well they could make some noise or sleep right through. Also I posted that Parkers Chapel would be good in 2A, and that could still happen, but I heard that the pitcher from Strong was hurt and if that is serious :(,and I heard she was not practicing, then that would really hurt their chances.         

Bearcatsofmena00

Not bad on those 2 sleepers there......

I think Dequeen might be a sleeper but I would be reaching. I heard they got a transfer from somewhere and she can pitch and hit really well.

2A it could be Hector

LowerAR

Ooo, only problem with Hector is you have to face Forman a lot. ;)

Sweet

Quote from: LowerAR on February 19, 2015, 08:44:35 am
Ooo, only problem with Hector is you have to face Forman a lot. ;)

How's that? They're not in the same conference.

LowerAR

Really, my bad; :-[ I have to admit outside of 6A-7A I don't know conferences that well. :( I guess that would make sense, they are not that close and unlike ours where we have to drive all over the state to play the others don't. If ya'll can't tell I dying to get started. ;D 

NEASPORTSFAN

February 20, 2015, 10:37:34 am #6 Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:47:29 am by phstiger
Yeah 6a softball has 16 teams. 2a softball has 62 teams. So a lot less travel most of the time.

Sweet

We may not drive all over the state but only 16/64 make the state bracket. 6A and 7A could lose every regular season game and still win state.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Bearcatsofmena00 on February 19, 2015, 08:29:29 am
Not bad on those 2 sleepers there......

I think Dequeen might be a sleeper but I would be reaching. I heard they got a transfer from somewhere and she can pitch and hit really well.

2A it could be Hector

Hmm...Been a few years since I watched softball...Might check out a game or 3 this year since I keep seeing this about htem...

SNWA

Sweet all the teams in 6a 7A do not make it anymore.  Changed this year.

LowerAR

Yea, this will be a little strange this season in 6A, but I hope it will be better. 2 years ago we had a team that just didn't show up for an opening round game. The team that they were playing drove in and didn't have anyone to play; that's not good. I still wish the final brackets were double elimination, but that's just my thoughts.   

BIG_K

Quote from: LowerAR on February 23, 2015, 07:45:39 am
Yea, this will be a little strange this season in 6A, but I hope it will be better. 2 years ago we had a team that just didn't show up for an opening round game. The team that they were playing drove in and didn't have anyone to play; that's not good. I still wish the final brackets were double elimination, but that's just my thoughts.   
Would take to long . Not all High School Teams have multiple pitches like travel teams do.

LowerAR

You are right there. It is just my opinion, but I thought that softball and baseball were all about the best team; after all, all levels of these two sports have multi-game finals; like the World Series. That is because you have the best team win not the best pitcher. I do understand that that would mean more time and money would have to be spent from schools and the AAA that they would not wish to put out for a sport most wish did not exist, but since it is here, let'em play. :)         

Sweet

I was hoping to get a report from True Fan about Magnet Cove. Rumor has it his DD is on top of her game this year.

pdj

A very good hs pitcher may easily have completed 5K to 10K hours of practice and pitched 300+ travelball games.  A good catcher will also have a lot of instruction and travelball games completed.  The coach/pitch caller most likely has never played the game.  Many other members of the team have very limited, if any, experience outside of league and hs ball.  True it is a team sport but, very few of the other members have put in the hours like the battery.  Credit goes to those players that put in the time and energy to develop... and when on the field I look for other weaknesses to attack.

BIG_K

Quote from: pdj on March 05, 2015, 11:58:59 am
A very good hs pitcher may easily have completed 5K to 10K hours of practice and pitched 300+ travelball games.  A good catcher will also have a lot of instruction and travelball games completed.  The coach/pitch caller most likely has never played the game.  Many other members of the team have very limited, if any, experience outside of league and hs ball.  True it is a team sport but, very few of the other members have put in the hours like the battery.  Credit goes to those players that put in the time and energy to develop... and when on the field I look for other weaknesses to attack.
and ;D  ;D  $5K to $10K in Pitching Lessons  ;D  ;D

LowerAR

I know that some parents put out that kind of money, but not everyone has that kind of disposable cash. We were blessed to have a young lady move down the street that pitched in college and started giving my daughter lessons while she went to grad school. I sat on a bucket every day for six years and learned with my daughter. Eventually she got to busy and it was just me and my daughter, but when she got married my daughter was a brides maid and she still comes and watches and gives advice. We went to camps and worked hard, fought, cried, sweated, froze and despaired of ever making it. I wouldn't trade that time for anything. It is not about anything but desire; I pushed and she let me. You are right pdj.       

BIG_K

What is the going rate for pitching/catching/hitting lessons? I paid $15 per hour for semi-private lessons in 2003-2006 and $25 to $35 for private after that. Went through 4 different coaches in 9 years of lessons. Those were the days.  ;D  Did i mention a few toe nails also.  ;D. I sometimes joke a little to much on this sight, and yes prob tick off few posters but bottom line is I really have alot of respect for kids(and parents) who work extra hard to be the best they possibly can be.

LowerAR

Well I heard some huge numbers for lessons during our time. I have no idea what the going rate for coaches is right now. I think it depends what part of the state your in and where you go. My daughter works with a sixth grader right now for free, or for volunteer hours, and if you ask her who her coach is she will say her dad. When we work now it is on what ever needs it, pitching, hitting, and fielding. We learned on the fly; camps and coaches who just love to teach. I will not say my DD is one of the best at anything, but few like to face her in the circle or at the plate.   
My shins will never look the same, feet take a beating; not to mention those areas where you don't talk about; something about that drop. I complain some, but I will not know what to do when she's gone. ???

pdj

Some of the best instruction I received was free.  My mentor was a great teacher of the art of the game but, in later years focused mostly on pitching.  He and another couple of gentlemen were taught a number of great players from Texas and Louisiana.  All for love of the game with no exchange of money.  They did day trips or local games and did not have to provide a facility. 

Some of the modern instructors I like have a lot of travel expense.  They treat coaching as a business but, I feel they are well worth their clinic/lesson fee.  Dave Paetkau for hitting (Canada), Howard Kobata for fielding (Hawaii), Steve Englishbey for hitting (Houston TX), Bill Hillhouse pitching (Pennsylvania).  Sad to say that I also know some instructors that charge $10.00/hr for group lessons that I consider to be way over priced.

Many factors involved for a girl to play in college, the instructor is only one.

BIG_K

:) Agreed. Raw Talent, Strenght and Athletic Ability are a good start, but practice and proper training are needed to properly develop a player. :)

LowerAR

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas