• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bigelow?

Started by mrknowitall, March 20, 2019, 01:29:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mrknowitall

i40traveler

He has been there a long time....  The job is posted as "anticipated head sr football coach". What's that mean.

HorseFeathers

I think Starks started that program..

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 25, 2019, 12:51:29 pm
I think Starks started that program..

I think you are correct... I think their best year was they took Junction City down to the wire in a 7 point loss in the quarterfinals almost a decade ago? Not an easy place to win at for sure whoever takes the job.

i40traveler

April 01, 2019, 06:40:48 pm #4 Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 09:33:47 pm by i40traveler
I heard they made a hire... Winter is coming.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: i40traveler on April 01, 2019, 06:40:48 pm
I heard they made a hire... Winter is coming.

Last time a Stark replaced a Stark there was a wedding that ended pretty badly.

beach bum

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on April 02, 2019, 11:59:54 am
Last time a Stark replaced a Stark there was a wedding that ended pretty badly.

Lol I knew this was coming. This is the kind of hire where there is no in between. People are either going to love it or some will be angered tremendously by it

Outofmany1

So they hired the old coaches son?

beach bum

Outofmany1

That interview process was a freaking joke then. They knew who they were going to hire before any candidate stepped foot in the school.

airitout

this is a great example of "who you know" that gets you the job.  lol

OB11

Quote from: Outofmany1 on April 03, 2019, 10:02:16 am
That interview process was a freaking joke then. They knew who they were going to hire before any candidate stepped foot in the school.

I would venture a guess that this is the case for AT LEAST 50% of the jobs that come "open". In those cases, interviews are just a formality. And a lot of the time they will tell someone that when they come in to interview. They will tell them "we have our guy, but want to cover all of our bases". Never know when something may fall through and you have to go to your second or third choice. Happens like this more than people realize.

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: OB11 on April 03, 2019, 10:21:40 am
I would venture a guess that this is the case for AT LEAST 50% of the jobs that come "open". In those cases, interviews are just a formality. And a lot of the time they will tell someone that when they come in to interview. They will tell them "we have our guy, but want to cover all of our bases". Never know when something may fall through and you have to go to your second or third choice. Happens like this more than people realize.

Yes.

Very conservative with 50%, as well.  Its a who you know business, right or wrong.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: OB11 on April 03, 2019, 10:21:40 am

In a similar discussion on this board within the last few years I asked about what percentage of head football coaching jobs were truly "open".    That is where a person could apply and be honestly  interviewed and evaluated and have a legitimate chance of getting the job.

The consensus was that about 10% of head football coach positions in Arkansas were actually "open".    And most of them were in the larger classifications.    The bottom line being simply that at most schools,   the principal and/or superintendent "knows a guy" they want to hire.    Thus most of the interviews are simply to fill legal requirements and to provide cover for the principal or superintendent if something goes wrong with the new hire.    "Well we interviewed eight other coaches."

Outofmany1

I understand it is a formality but you are wasting coaches time that they have to take off work and drive to an interview that they have no chance in heck of getting. Flawed system!

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: Outofmany1 on April 04, 2019, 08:15:19 am
I understand it is a formality but you are wasting coaches time that they have to take off work and drive to an interview that they have no chance in heck of getting. Flawed system!

Anybody with any knowledge of Bigelow knew how this was playing out.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: arkansasFBscoop on April 04, 2019, 05:56:20 pm
Anybody with any knowledge of Bigelow knew how this was playing out.

Who would want to have knowledge of Bigelow?

purpleswag

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on April 05, 2019, 11:29:47 am
Who would want to have knowledge of Bigelow?

What's a bigelow???

bigworm

All speculation. Were any of you guys involved in the hire?

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: bigworm on April 06, 2019, 04:35:01 pm
All speculation. Were any of you guys involved in the hire?

This is reason job was listed as "anticipated" opening.  Jeff does not step down from HC spot unless Luke got hired.  Board members were leaking that info the 27th or 28th, pretty much right after job posted.

Some really good football coaches applied for this job, too.

mrknowitall

Obviously they like what Starks has done since starting the program. By hiring his son they can get a younger guy in and keep things somewhat the same. Maybe that's what they want...

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: mrknowitall on April 06, 2019, 11:53:27 pm
Obviously they like what Starks has done since starting the program. By hiring his son they can get a younger guy in and keep things somewhat the same. Maybe that's what they want...

True.

Luke is a good dude, don't get me wrong.  I think he'll do fine at Bigelow and I think he 100% wants to be there, which is big for any program and community.  I was just pointing out this was a done deal before the job even posted.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas