• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All conference/Region/ and state

Started by watchemplay, May 22, 2015, 04:06:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1-Adam-12

In such a tournament I would probably have to go with Mena.  Bunch set the table for them all season and they have lots of great hitters, with Macy Brotherton in the middle of it and going all through the lineup.  Not a weak spot in it, all talented hitters.

I would have loved to see a Bald Knob-Mena matchup.  I would have traveled nearly anywhere for that one game.

SBALL

Quote from: Runfastturnleft on May 31, 2015, 01:38:24 pm
Quote from: Forrest City H on May 31, 2015, 12:14:37 pm
It would be interesting to have an overall tournament - I suspect the 2 best teams are Bald Knob and Vilonia (with Greenwood & Mena very close to round out a top 4).  Bald Knob beat the 7A champ 10-2 the week before the state tournaments.  When comparing Bald Knob and Vilonia, a recent common opponent was the nationally known Paragould Heat, whose only two losses all year were to Bald Knob and Vilonia the last couple weeks of the season - and both by the exact same score.

Mena most has better talent than those.  Vilonia is very scrappy and just refuses to go away.  If their pitcher is on, then they are super tough to beat.  Greenwood has an ace pitcher, but otherwise they are a good team, not "great".  Bald Knob is very talented as well, with their pitcher being an absolute stud on the mound and at the plate.  If you could somehow pitch around her, I wonder if the rest could pick her up offensively. 

No one mentions NLR???  They looked extremely good in the finals.  Power throughout the line up, solid defensively.  Good pitching. 

All state champions, however!!!

There is no good way to explain it other than Bald Knob is a true definition of a TEAM. I have seen 1-4 struggle and 5-9 score the points while 1-4 helped out defensively or could be other way. The pitcher only scored 39 of the 284 runs all year. Pitching around her still don't change the fact that she only gave up 9 earned runs all year an avg. of 1/2 run per game. However I don't think you could guess what team would be #1 because they all 4 have great players and if they was to play it could go any way. I hope these teams get to play each other next year.

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: SBALL on May 31, 2015, 06:28:15 pm
Quote from: Runfastturnleft on May 31, 2015, 01:38:24 pm
Quote from: Forrest City H on May 31, 2015, 12:14:37 pm
It would be interesting to have an overall tournament - I suspect the 2 best teams are Bald Knob and Vilonia (with Greenwood & Mena very close to round out a top 4).  Bald Knob beat the 7A champ 10-2 the week before the state tournaments.  When comparing Bald Knob and Vilonia, a recent common opponent was the nationally known Paragould Heat, whose only two losses all year were to Bald Knob and Vilonia the last couple weeks of the season - and both by the exact same score.

Mena most has better talent than those.  Vilonia is very scrappy and just refuses to go away.  If their pitcher is on, then they are super tough to beat.  Greenwood has an ace pitcher, but otherwise they are a good team, not "great".  Bald Knob is very talented as well, with their pitcher being an absolute stud on the mound and at the plate.  If you could somehow pitch around her, I wonder if the rest could pick her up offensively. 

No one mentions NLR???  They looked extremely good in the finals.  Power throughout the line up, solid defensively.  Good pitching. 

All state champions, however!!!

There is no good way to explain it other than Bald Knob is a true definition of a TEAM. I have seen 1-4 struggle and 5-9 score the points while 1-4 helped out defensively or could be other way. The pitcher only scored 39 of the 284 runs all year. Pitching around her still don't change the fact that she only gave up 9 earned runs all year an avg. of 1/2 run per game. However I don't think you could guess what team would be #1 because they all 4 have great players and if they was to play it could go any way. I hope these teams get to play each other next year.

Didn't mean to offend your team.   Only saw the finals this year so that's my basis.   

Forrest City H

it's all just opinions anyway...Vilonia beat Bald Knob last season, and I wish they would have played again this year!  Vilonia was improved from last year, and I'm sure Bald Knob was as well.  I think Vilonia and Mena played this year, with Vilonia winning a pitcher's duel 1-0.  Sydney Wader is one of the best pitchers in the state when she has her stuff - which is most of the time!  All the state champions were obviously playing great at the end of the season, and all should think they are the best! 

FNLsupporter

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2015, 10:29:52 pm
Quote from: FNLsupporter on May 30, 2015, 10:08:10 pm
Bald Knob won every tournament they played in including the TOC, district, regionals, and state tournament, all while finishing as the best team in the state regardless of classification and ranked in the top 20 in the entire nation. How many all state players did they have?? Two! I think they would have as good an argument as anyone for more players to made the list. But in the end, it's more about the rings than the all state award. I bet there are a lot of girls that would trade their plaque for a state championship anyday.

Whoa, there big fella!

Until another team in the state is recognized nationally above them, I would say the proof is there. Sorry if that disappoints you lil fella!

sevenof400

Quote from: FNLsupporter on May 31, 2015, 08:25:22 pm
Bald Knob won every tournament they played in including the TOC, district, regionals, and state tournament, all while finishing as the best team in the state regardless of classification and ranked in the top 20 in the entire nation. How many all state players did they have?? Two! I think they would have as good an argument as anyone for more players to made the list. But in the end, it's more about the rings than the all state award. I bet there are a lot of girls that would trade their plaque for a state championship anyday.

Whoa, there big fella!

Until another team in the state is recognized nationally above them, I would say the proof is there. Sorry if that disappoints you lil fella!

There is no disappointment on my part at all - hyperbole on your part definitely - especially if you are using MaxPreps as your reputable source.   

jacosportsfreak

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on May 31, 2015, 06:05:57 pm
In such a tournament I would probably have to go with Mena.  Bunch set the table for them all season and they have lots of great hitters, with Macy Brotherton in the middle of it and going all through the lineup.  Not a weak spot in it, all talented hitters.

I would have loved to see a Bald Knob-Mena matchup.  I would have traveled nearly anywhere for that one game.

I wasn't that impressed with Mena in the championship game.  I know they've worked hard, for years, to build the program; but i expected them to be better.  I would say that BK and Vilonia would be the two best teams in the state.

FNLsupporter

;)
Quote from: sevenof400 on May 31, 2015, 09:00:28 pm

Whoa, there big fella!

There is no disappointment on my part at all - hyperbole on your part definitely - especially if you are using MaxPreps as your reputable source.

If you have a more reputable source, by all means I'm willing to listen. I have nothing to lose or gain from the argument. I have no child that plays softball, but just from the eye test as well, Mena doesn't have the pitching to hang with BK. 2 years state champs with 2 time state champ MVP on the mound, Mena just can't get it done. Sorry...

SBALL

Quote from: FNLsupporter on May 31, 2015, 10:35:30 pm
;)

Whoa, there big fella!

If you have a more reputable source, by all means I'm willing to listen. I have nothing to lose or gain from the argument. I have no child that plays softball, but just from the eye test as well, Mena doesn't have the pitching to hang with BK. 2 years state champs with 2 time state champ MVP on the mound, Mena just can't get it done. Sorry...

Not just Max Preps to go off of but Rogers beat Mena this year and Bald Knob put it on Rogers pretty good in the TOC.

Forrest City H

If you want to talk about national reputation, Paragould Heat are probably the best known from Arkansas, and they have 3 players in their lineup who signed with SEC schools!  But as we all know, they came up short in the 5A finals....

LuckoftheIrish

In the Van Buran tournament I walked over to watch the Vilonia/Mena game, because
I wanted to watch Vilonia's Ace pitcher. She wasnt in the circle, it was a different girl. I believe
Vilonia won 1-0. Vilonia appears to be very deep with talent. Their Ace will be a senior next year, very
talented girl. IMO, BK/Vilonia are the two best teams in the state. Dont think you can put one over the other.

sevenof400

Quote from: FNLsupporter on May 31, 2015, 10:35:30 pm
;)

Whoa, there big fella!

The problem is there is no effective (accurate) source of information for this sort of comparison.  It is unreliable enough to compare results across classifications within a state - crossing state lines makes comparisons less accurate. 

As an aside, and I hate to return to this point because I know it will never happen, but I long for the days of an overall tournament especially in sports where such a competition is feasible.  It would be quite the event to say the least.

But this suggests a larger question - is the level of competition within Arkansas on a par with the level of competition in other states?  There is a lot of evidence suggesting this isn't the case in other sports - Arkansas simply doesn't have as deep a level of competition.  It is unlikely to believe high school softball in Arkansas is an exception to that trend... it might be, but it seems unlikely.   

Does this mean the best team in Arkansas (whoever it may be) could compete in the highest classifications in other states?  It is unlikely, but unfortunately we'll never know the answer to that question.  The only means we have to compare the talent produced by individual states is to look at the number of high school players who continue to play at the collegiate level.   

SNWA

Greenwood beat Rogers and Mena....just sayin

PrivateLesson

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on May 31, 2015, 06:05:57 pm

Would be a very good game, IMO but it's all speculation, as they didn't ever play:)

I think Mena is a very strong team.  They won their Championship I believe a score of 7-3 against Bauxite.   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas