• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

School Choice-applies to some but not all

Started by skydiver, May 10, 2015, 05:53:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you satisfied with the job the AAA is doing

Satisfied
6 (30%)
Really don't care
1 (5%)
Not satisfied
6 (30%)
Ready for a change in the offices
7 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 20

skydiver

I've been struggling with the fact that the "school choice" rule has been and apparently will continue to be ABUSED. As long as the AAA is willing to offer "special" hardship transfers, then what's the purpose of the rule itself. The recruiting doors have been opened WIDE the way I see it. (As long as you have either deep pockets or pull within AAA office). It's a shame the rules dont apply to every school. If you think the AAA is a fair and consistent organization, you need to wake up. Not sure the board members are totally aware of the mess in the office but the can of worms needs to be opened. Everywhere I go and observe a sporting event, it seems like this topic is brought up. Until we voice our concerns nothing will ever be done to fix the problem.

True Fan

Haven't seen much problem with it around the schools I frequent. Is there a list of these special waivers somewhere?

skydiver

If you head down around Eldorado you WILL be enlightened on the subject. Evidently these "waivers" are on file at AAA. SUPPOSEDLY

searkhogfan

Are you talking about Norphlet & Parkers Chapel?  If so, I heard about the waiver at Norphlet. Don't think was given at PC.

skydiver

I'm not going to get into naming names but hoping to shed some light on the problem. Haven't heard anything on Norphlet. Just a shame all schools aren't playing on equal rules and waivers.

saltlife

I don't know where the ABUSE allegation is coming from or SPECIAL treatment from AAA but the facts as I know them are

(1)  Unless they opt-out of school choice, all school districts have to follow the same school choice guidelines/law

(2)  Hardship waivers are available to ALL students/schools if they meet certain requirements

(3)  Why should an athlete not be granted a hardship waiver to move from a school that is in academic distress?  Are you saying that a student should have to choose between athletics and academics?

LowerAR

Ooo, you do in El Dorado. We were told that we would have to make a choose between softball and grades, and that was straight from the Superintendent's mouth. Of course we made no such decision, but my DD has fallen some in class rank, but still is in top 10%. Yet that is not a question you want to ask down here, who needs an education as long as you have a State Championship. 

Sweet

Outrigger

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: LowerAR on May 11, 2015, 01:12:08 pm
Ooo, you do in El Dorado. We were told that we would have to make a choose between softball and grades, and that was straight from the Superintendent's mouth. Of course we made no such decision, but my DD has fallen some in class rank, but still is in top 10%. Yet that is not a question you want to ask down here, who needs an education as long as you have a State Championship.
life is full of chooses.

3 Dollar

CHOICES!!!  It's CHOICES!!!!

Not chooses.

:-[

True Fan

Sometimes you make choices and sometimes choices chooses you. ;D

skydiver

I guess the point here is being understood by most and others are on the defensive side. Personally I just hope the awareness if what is going on down there is evident to anyone reading this thread. It's wrong and definately outside of the realms of the rules in place for "school choice". AAA approval or not it's a whole truck load of bull crap. If enough people become aware then maybe it won't happen again.

CMhawgtracks

May 11, 2015, 08:55:01 pm #13 Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:58:43 pm by CMhawgtracks
Quote from: skydiver on May 10, 2015, 10:18:08 pm
I'm not going to get into naming names but hoping to shed some light on the problem. Haven't heard anything on Norphlet. Just a shame all schools aren't playing on equal rules and waivers.

The playing field is level skydiver, everything is on the up and up and by the rules! If you want to fault a kid for wanting to better themselves, you have a problem.

True Fan

I don't know. After looking at the state bracket, I am outraged. How dare they let this happen. Something needs to be done immediately. ;D

sevenof400

Skydiver,

What are you talking about? 

skydiver

The way I comprehend the School Choice law, no Jr or Sr can transfer and become automatically eligible for athletics. The 365 day wait period applies to those. Underclass transfers are immediately athletically eligible as long as the appropriate paperwork is on file at both participating schools. Both of these infractions have occurred to my knowledge. There's no file available at the exited school and the AAA apparently has decided to override the law or rule. Fair, justified, or whatever the case may be, it's hard to accept when others are NOT granted the same waiver. There's a lot of disgruntled fans and players in the AASouth Region. This is a thread to let everyone with pertinent info to express their views. My view and all the info I've been given tells me there's a problem that needs to be addressed.

LowerAR

Whether fair or legal I can not say, but I did put out what was happening way before the season started and warned everyone who would listen that PC was going to be real good. I do know most of the girls who transferred were Sophomores and Freshmen. I can only think of one who was an upperclassman. Every school in this area knew that it was happening because they played together starting last fall. I do think it is a little late to scream about it now. Junction City has been bringing kids from LA for years and no one has stopped them. They finally received Charter School Status this year. The AAA is a ghost, if you try to get something done, they are nowhere to be found and when they show up, they only bring trouble.       

Rida4Life

Every girl on the PC team is legally there.  All paperwork has been supplied to the AAA from what I understand.  I think the athlete in question was a board to board transfer and CSAP form was signed.  Your allegations are pretty unfounded considering all of the school choice and transfers were done BEFORE the new coach was hired.  He would have had to have a pretty accurate crystal ball to know he was going to get that job months in advance and get all those girls to come.  Sounds to me you are from one of the schools that got beat by them and don't like it. 
You might ought to do more research before you go on a message board making allegations. 

saltlife

There have been no infractions (just a lot of sour grapes).  The 365 day wait period did not apply to the 2 students who were granted waivers (signed off by aaa) because they were moving from a school in "academic distress".  I call b.s. on the paperwork not being at the exited school since I have knowledge of when they went before that school board and I went to that school's website and board minutes and there were 5 petition of student transfers granted that month to the new school.  You are getting bad information along with a lot of sour grapes.  However, I think you are making an important public service announcement to parents and students that you don't have to stay at your under performing school even if you don't want to necessarily pack up and move.  If your school has spent years in academic distress you do have an option to attend a proven top performing school (academically) and still be able to play a sport or sports that you love.  Everything here has been done out in the open and legally.  A player didn't move into a trailer in the coach's yard or some b.s. like that that you have occur time and time again.

searkhogfan

Wasn't one of the girls father on the school board of the school she transferred from?

Outrigger

Quote from: searkhogfan on May 12, 2015, 10:16:28 am
Wasn't one of the girls father on the school board of the school she transferred from?
YES YOU ARE CORRECT

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: True Fan on May 11, 2015, 05:47:06 pm
Sometimes you make choices and sometimes choices chooses you. ;D
some people are pro choose.

skydiver

Show me the paperwork or quit arguing that nothing shady is going on down there. I haven't mentioned ANY schools or names in any of my posts but it's funny to me that everyone KNOWS exactly which school is being called out here. Where there's smoke there's fire and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck......probably a duck.

Panther Pride

Quote from: skydiver on May 12, 2015, 04:01:36 pm
Show me the paperwork or quit arguing that nothing shady is going on down there. I haven't mentioned ANY schools or names in any of my posts but it's funny to me that everyone KNOWS exactly which school is being called out here. Where there's smoke there's fire and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck......probably a duck.
Somebody must have gotten spanked

Lionheart88

Quote from: skydiver on May 12, 2015, 04:01:36 pm
Could be a very small goose.

saltlife

Could be because a team that's been beaten 5 times this year has done a lot of squawking  :P  I believe its been reported and paperwork was produced to the only people that matter....

HarryCaray

Nobody has to show you anything unless you are Lance Taylor in disguise . Somebody evidently put Dierks up to questioning eligibility of some players. Paperwork from the transfer, which occured last April/May was in order i assume because no players that i know of were declared ineligible. Whether anyone agrees with the Handbook rules concerning board to board actions is immaterial! The written rules were followed in a timely matter and thats all there is to it. Hardships have been applied for and been accepted/rejected for years by pretty much every school in the state. So, when one is granted for a particular reason  (these are stated in the handbook as well) it sets a precedent on future rulings. You can hammer on the AAA till your blue in the face but  be careful, your next stud may be a preachers kid who gets called to a church after the school yr starts and decides they want to attend your school because the one in their district is academically in distress or whatever the case may be! You will then be praying that a hardship is granted for that kid !

CMhawgtracks

May 12, 2015, 07:12:05 pm #28 Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:04:53 pm by CMhawgtracks
anyone know what school skydiver supports? I can probably give an educated guess why he, she, it is crying in their beer

skydiver

I would like to congratulate PC / Strong on winning the Reg Tourn.  The new JC North.

CMhawgtracks

Quote from: skydiver on May 12, 2015, 08:20:54 pm
I would like to congratulate PC / Strong on winning the Reg Tourn.  The new JC North.
so what school do you support? Woodlawn?

skydiver

I do support Woodlawn and every other school out there winning the right way.

CMhawgtracks

Quote from: skydiver on May 12, 2015, 08:25:29 pm
I do support Woodlawn and every other school out there winning the right way.
the right way? I guess that's why the AAA called your coach out for his actions against PC coaches, players and fans, in your "win" over Chapel? Woodland hasn't won a game since have they? are you the coach or the little short man that jumped the nearly 70 year old man on his way to the restroom?

skydiver

Neither one of the above. Looks like your panties are getting twisted up. Woodlawn is in no way guilty of anything as far as I know. At least their transfers are sitting out their 365. And NO I'm not from Woodlawn. I'm just a concerned fan that knows how to get a bunch of super dads fired up. Just another successful thread. Count the views. Several have been enlightened to your tactics. Mission accomplished. 👏👏😳

CMhawgtracks

Quote from: skydiver on May 12, 2015, 09:08:43 pm
Neither one of the above. Looks like your panties are getting twisted up. Woodlawn is in no way guilty of anything as far as I know. At least their transfers are sitting out their 365. And NO I'm not from Woodlawn. I'm just a concerned fan that knows how to get a bunch of super dads fired up. Just another successful thread. Count the views. Several have been enlightened to your tactics. Mission accomplished. 👏👏😳
You do not have to sit out for a year, if one you move into the district before your particular sport starts practice, or you have a waiver from the AAA. The kids you are crying about are from the Strong School District, which is a distress school district. All the proper paper work is in place and in order and you have no legitimate complaint. Rules are rules dude, no one seems to be crying about this situation but you...

old dawg

Some of these folks done jumped out the plane with old skydiver with no chute.  The Woodlawn coach is not skydiver. I know that for sure. He has trouble spelling AAA. As far as I am concerned... That guy is the best coach in that conference. His teams play hard and smart. They ended the season on a bad streak but I bet that motivates him to work that much harder.

searkhogfan

Skydiver isn't from Woodlawn.  And PC's side of the story is always humorous. Lol

skydiver

I'm not crying. I'm actually laughing at you guys defending Peckers Chapel. I'm sure the paperwork is intact and readily available. I would just hope AAA would treat every other school with the same grace. By the way, you CAN play immediately when you MOVE to another district as long as you haven't already participated in that same sport during the same school year.

searkhogfan

There's actually a loop hole that allows you to transfer & play the same sport in the same year.

skydiver

You are correct searkhogfan. As long as you haven't participated in that sport at previous school during the same school year.

True Fan

Open it up and let the kids go to school wherever they want and you won't have this issue. Little league has their residence districts and look how much trouble that causes. Can you imagine the griping of all of the daddy ball coaches if they could only play girls from their neighborhood? Arkansas softball has grown leaps and bounds thanks to the hard work of the 10, 12, 14, and 16u tournament teams competing all over the state and nation. Going to school is going to school. We're a much more mobile society and kids today aren't all caught up with the idea of hometown schools being the center of the universe. It's not 1963 anymore.

searkhogfan

Quote from: skydiver on May 12, 2015, 09:38:24 pm
You are correct searkhogfan. As long as you haven't participated in that sport at previous school during the same school year.

Nope, you still can. In 2008 A kid transferred to Woodlawn after playing 2 football games at fordyce. The AAA cleared him to play at Woodlawn (and he did) the same season.  According to AAA, every rule except the Age rule. Has an exception.

skydiver

Lol. That's basically what's already happening. Only problem is that it's not the same for everyone. YET

skydiver

Quote from: searkhogfan on May 12, 2015, 09:44:35 pm
Quote from: skydiver on May 12, 2015, 09:38:24 pm

Nope, you still can. In 2008 A kid transferred to Woodlawn after playing 2 football games at fordyce. The AAA cleared him to play at Woodlawn (and he did) the same season.  According to AAA, every rule except the Age rule. Has an exception.
The "exception" part is where all the gray area comes about. AAA brings that on themselves.  It will eventually bite them in the butt.

True Fan

And rightly so. Extenuating circumstances deserve consideration.

Questions

Does Strong still have a softball team?

Is it not crazy that a school board member petitioned for a transfer for their own kid? Isn't their job to keep the school out of academic distress? (Of course, through employment practices and sound policies)

searkhogfan

Quote from: True Fan on May 12, 2015, 09:50:54 pm
And rightly so. Extenuating circumstances deserve consideration.

Questions

Does Strong still have a softball team?

Is it not crazy that a school board member petitioned for a transfer for their own kid? Isn't their job to keep the school out of academic distress? (Of course, through employment practices and sound policies)

Yes, Yes, & Yes.

The school board member actually lobbied for & voted for the transfer.  And then resigned after it was approved. Or so I'm told.

skydiver

WOW!! All I can say to all that is just WOW!! Now that true character and class right there. He (ex board member) should go ahead and make the move on over to Peckers Chapel. He would fit right in there.

HarryCaray

Oh boy, a.woodlawn supporter calling.names!  I'm just shocked!  I wonder how many rison and star.city rejects ended up on chicken house row. And as for the parent/strong board member, is he a 1 man board? There are usually 5 members of a school board at least. Takes 3 for a majority  if my math is correct. Woodlawn is probably a state  tournament caliber team. Its a shame that the loat to Norphlet and rison in the district tourn. Havent seen any name calling there or any accusations of illegal players. You guys beat PC with all of their outlaw players and loaded bats (weve heard that one too)   i can certainly. Guarantee that not one of the truly upset bunch would turn any of those kids away if they wanted into their school. Not one!!

CMhawgtracks

If a school board member doesn't know the conditions and what the circumstances are at that school, then no one does. several teachers left including the high school principle, if the district last two more years, i will be surprised.
Strong had a team that was mercy ruled every game this year, even the boosters attempted to persuade the school to cancel the season. No one seems to be complaining about the kids that left for the Eldorado school system.
If the rules are bad, change them, but as long as these rules are in place, don't knock the kids for doing whats best for them.
When PC is as good or better next year, what you going to cry about then?

saltlife

Skydiver is from Dierks btw - I think that explains ALOT  ::)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas