• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smackover with norphlet

Started by sax2play8, December 02, 2013, 08:18:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sax2play8

I have heard rumor that norphlet is consolidating with smackover next year. Any truth to this?

Hawgeye

Smackover would only gain what, 10-12 players on roster?

Couldn't imagine the cost to bus kids from Calion all the way to Smackover with Hampton closer to those kids.

RamAlum10

I imagine consolidating football.. not the entire school systems.  Like Sparkman and CHG did a while back.  Go to school at Norphlet, play for Smack. 3 miles shorter goin through norphlet to Smack than Calion to Hampton.  Plus better athletics and more money at Smack

Wonderdog

Quote from: Hawgeye on December 02, 2013, 08:20:46 pm

Couldn't imagine the cost to bus kids from Calion all the way to Smackover with Hampton closer to those kids.
2 miles difference between Calion kids going to Hampton versus Smackover. Norphlet schools however is far closer to Smackover schools

Jimbo Morphis

10 or 12 is huge for most 3a teams. add 2 or 3 decent players can make a big difference depth wise.

Proud Buckaroo

Norphlet has 100 9-12 graders. While we have 198 9-12 graders. We will have 298 kids. Making us the biggest 3A school there is. Boonville will move down and have the same amount as us.

Hawgeye

Quote from: Oldman on December 02, 2013, 08:54:03 pm

10 or 12 is huge for most 3a teams. add 2 or 3 decent players can make a big difference depth wise.

Oh I know it makes a difference.

Those two schools should have done that in the mid 90's.

HorseFeathers

Not to mention, Norphlet isn't exactly a bad football team when they can find the numbers to field a team. They made the playoffs last year in the toughest conference in 2A....So 10-12 players that made the playoffs by themselves, added to a team that Made the semi-finals without them...Seem's like a win/win situation for Smackover....

Proud Buckaroo

Not to mention. Making the playoffs with just 18 players.

sax2play8

If we consolidated proud buck would we still stay 3a

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: sax2play8 on December 02, 2013, 09:37:23 pm

We would be boarder line 3A. Boonville is dropping down to 3A. They will hav the same numbers as us if we consolidate.

Hawgeye

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on December 02, 2013, 09:51:19 pm

We would be boarder line 3A. Boonville is dropping down to 3A. They will hav the same numbers as us if we consolidate.

So how close is this to happening? I figured Norphlet would head to El Dorado before they went to Smackover.

Proud Buckaroo

It's getting pretty serious. Even teachers at Smackover are talking about the schools merging. Some may do that. But in order for them to get the Promise. Their residence has to reside in el dorado. Where as, they can go Smackover without moving.

sax2play8

How don't know how much help it will give in football other than depth. But we should help a lot with other sports.

Proud Buckaroo

Now, Norphlet does have some athletes. You should look at their Junior Varisty ball club. They went up against some senior high teams, plus on top of Junior high teams this season. AND got some wins from it as well. You have to give them credit. They done a good job for such low numbers. I think Norphlet would help out a lot on the girls basketball team. That's some thing that we struggle with some times.

Bearden_Bear72

Norphlet has athletes to bring to table, and with Eldorado promise all schools in area could use extra kids js

Jimbo Morphis

the next two years are done. not sure after that.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Oldman on December 03, 2013, 10:02:52 am

Depending on how many actually go to Smackover or El dorado. I believe Stephens is closing their doors as well next year. Some may come to Smackover, while others go to Magnolia. We may very well be a 4A by 2015.

bleudog

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on December 02, 2013, 10:33:31 pm
It's getting pretty serious. Even teachers at Smackover are talking about the schools merging. Some may do that. But in order for them to get the Promise. Their residence has to reside in el dorado. Where as, they can go Smackover without moving.

Incorrect.

http://www.eldoradopromise.com/news/Story.aspx?storyID=20

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: bleudog on December 03, 2013, 10:44:24 am
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on December 02, 2013, 10:33:31 pm

Incorrect.

http://www.eldoradopromise.com/news/Story.aspx?storyID=20

I'm aware. I had forgotten they changed that this year.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on December 03, 2013, 10:38:36 am
Quote from: Oldman on December 03, 2013, 10:02:52 am

Depending on how many actually go to Smackover or El dorado. I believe Stephens is closing their doors as well next year. Some may come to Smackover, while others go to Magnolia. We may very well be a 4A by 2015.
2014 and 2015 are already done. you may go 4a in 2016.

voice74

This idea has been thrown back and forth for a while.  The first time was in the 90s and the only reason that it didn't happen was because some people in the town of Norphlet didn't want to keep the name Smackover Buckaroos.  The school was almost named Timberlane Timberwolves.  It always has fallen through. 

This time is as serious as it has ever been, which says a lot.  Norphlet people seem to see the writing on the wall, and if details can be worked out this will happen.  As of right now, if the number of kids stays the same Smackover\Norphlet will be the second largest 3A school and will remain in 3A as long as the numbers remain. 

Interested to see how it plays out but if I had to predict right now what is going to happen, I would say this will happen.

sax2play8

I heard this morning that if it does happen 10-12 will be at the smackover high school and 7-9 will be at the norphlet school and keep the name norphlet and the junior high would be the leopards. And they would keep the elementary at both schools

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas