• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 NCAA Division I Track and Field Outdoor Championships

Started by AT, May 31, 2013, 04:47:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

I know we have a thread for cross country and track, but I feel this needs it's own thread. The Razorback men and women will be traveling to Eugene, Oregon and competing for a national championship June 5th-8th. The men have a legitimate shot, while the women are a longshot, but it's not impossible.

Trackandfieldnews.com, one of the premiere sources for track and field coverage, has already made their projections for the meet.

For the men's projected scores they have:
1. Arkansas - 65
2. Texas A&M - 60
3. Oregon - 55
4. Florida - 46

I personally believe those are the four teams with a legitimate shot at a national championship. I will use this thread to keep up with the projections

Here's the link to those projections. (The link also gives you who they think will place and where they will place in each individual event)

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/formcharts/1557

The women's projections look like this...

1. Kansas - 57
2. Oregon - 56
3. Arkansas - 44
4. LSU - 40
5. Texas A&M - 39

Here's the link to those projections:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/formcharts/1556

I believe the champion will come out of those five teams. If the lady Razorbacks want to win, they need everything to go perfect and for Oregon and Kansas to slip up a bit.

I will also update the projections as events finish up for them in this thread too.

RATTLER43

AT

Ok, the meet starts today!

Here's a link to the live results that will be updated throughout the next 4 days:

http://www.flashresults.com/2013_Meets/outdoor/06-05-NCAA/live/evtindex_wednesday.htm

The times are Pacific time, so add 2 hours to each start time (Decathlon starts at 12 PM Pacific, so 2 PM Central)

I'll be updating the projected scores as results come through (look at the first post for projected scores)

Today the Razorback men compete in these events:

Kevin Lazas - Decathlon - 12 PM (First five events on a rolling schedule today)
Nathanael Franks - Decathlon - 12 PM

Pole Vault prelims and finals - Andrew Irwin - 6 PM

4 x 100 prelims - 6:15 PM

800 prelims - Tomas Squella, Anthony Lieghio, Patrick Rono, Leoman Momoh - 6:45 PM

400 prelims - Akheem Gauntlett - 7:15 PM

400 hurdle prelims - Caleb Cross - 8:15 PM

3000 meter steeplechase prelims - Stanley Kebenei - 8:45 PM

The women compete in these events today:

400 prelims - Regina George - 7:00 PM

400 hurdles prelims - Gwendolyn Flowers, Sparkle McKnight - 6:00 PM

10000 meter run finals - Semehar Tesfaye - 9:10 PM

AT

After 1 event in the decathlon (100 meter dash), Kevin Lazas is in 7th with 899 points (he ran 10.83). Nathanael Franks is 17th with 814 points (11.21).

Lazas is projected to finish 7th, Franks is not projected to score.

AT

After 2 events in the decathlon (long jump) Kevin Lazas moves up to 4th with a score of 1854 (he jumped 24' 10.5"). Franks stays in 17th with a score of 1642 (23' 2").

AT

After 3 events in the decathlon (shot put), Kevin Lazas stays in 4th with a score of 2576 (he threw the shot put 45' 7"). Nathanael Franks moves up to 15th with a a score of 2331 (43' 10").

AT

Arkansas men qualify for the finals of the 4 x 100 meter relay on time. They finished 3rd in their heat, so they didn't get an automatic spot, but they slipped in.

The bad thing is we are projected to finish 5th in that event and if we run like we did in the prelims, we'll finish 7th or 8th.

AT

Leoman Momoh is the only Arkansas athlete to qualify for the finals of the 800 meter run out of the 4 athletes. Two were projected to qualify - Rono and Momoh, but only Momoh qualified.

Rono was projected to finish 5th, but did not make it. Momoh is projected to finish 8th and did make it.

So we lose 4 points, but Momoh can still make up those points in the finals. The good thing is that Sean Obinwa of Florida also didn't qualify and he was projected to finish 6th, so that's 3 points gone for Florida.

Right now we are at these projected totals

Arkansas - 61
Texas A&M - 60
Oregon - 55
Florida - 43

AT

After four events in the decathlon (high jump), Kevin Lazas moves back down to 5th place with a score of 3370 (he ceared 6' 6.25"), and Nathanael Franks moved back down to 17th (he cleared 6' 2.75").

AT

Oh. my. word.  Ok, well Gauntlett of Arkansas made it through to the 400 meter final, but not with an automatic spot, but with the last wildcart spot. And he got that spot by not tenths, not hundredths, but 4 THOUSANDTHS of a second over the Oregon athlete who was supposed to finish 2nd in the whole event.

So, for Arkansas, Gauntlett is supposed to finish 6th and is in the final, so no points lost there.

For Florida, Arman Hall is supposed to finish 8th and he made it, so no points lost there, but they also qualified Hugh Graham Jr. so they will gain points there.

For Texas A&M, Lendore is supposed to finish 3rd and he made it, so no points lost there.

For Oregon, Mike Berry is supposed to finish 8th, but he did not make it, so 8 points lost there for Oregon.

So the projected totals now are:

Arkansas - 61
Texas A&M - 60
Oregon - 47
Florida - 43

It's becoming a meet between the Aggies and the Razorbacks.

AT

In the men's 400 meter hurdles, Caleb Cross qualifies for the final by getting an automatic qualifier by finishing 2nd in his heat. He is projected to finish 5th.

Gregory Coleman of Texas A&M is projected to finish 8th, but did not make the final, so A&M loses a point.

New projected totals

Arkansas - 61
Texas A&M - 59
Oregon - 47
Florida - 43

AT

Andrew Irwin of Arkansas finishes 4th in the pole vault with a clearance of 18' 4.5"

He was projected to finish 2nd, so a loss of 3 points

New projected totals:

Texas A&M - 59
Arkansas - 58
Oregon - 47
Florida - 43

AT

Arkansas's Stanley Kebenei qualifies for the 3000 meter steeplechase final by finishing 2nd in his heat. 12 advance to this final, so he's not guaranteed to score, but he's projected to finish 3rd so we definitely need him to.

Texas A&M qualified Henry Lelei, who's projected to win, but not Isaac Spencer who was projected to finish 8th place, so that's a one point loss for the Aggies.

New projected totals:

Texas A&M - 58
Arkansas - 58
Oregon - 47
Florida - 43

AT

Last but not least for day 1, after 5 events in the decathlon (400), Kevin Lazas has dropped to 7th place with a score of 4095 (he ran the 400 in 52.00). Nathanael Franks jumps up to 16th place with a score of 3914 (he ran the 400 in 48.83)

Still the same projected totals. More updates tomorrow.

RATTLER43

AT

June 06, 2013, 01:19:58 pm #15 Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:34:20 pm by Almatrackster
After 6 events in the decathlon (110 hurdles), Kevin Lazas remains in 7th place with a score of 4935 points (he ran 15.08 in the hurdles). Nathanael Franks drops back down to 17th place with a score of 4705 (he ran 15.49 in the hurdles).

It's good that Lazas remains in the top 8 after 6 events, because his best stretch of events is coming up with the discus throw, pole vault, and javelin throw. He needs to do well in all three of those. Franks best event is the 1500, which is the last event of the decathlon, but I just don't see him scoring unless he does incredible in the next 4 events.

Also, here's the rest of the schedule for day 2 for the Razorback men:

6:30 - Long Jump prelims and finals (Raymond Higgs, Tarik Batchelor, Jarrion Lawson)

8:40 - 4 x 400 meter relay prelims

9:15 - 10,000 meter run finals (Solomon Haile)

AT

After 7 events in the decathlon (discus throw), Kevin Lazas drops to 11th place with a score of 5632 (he threw the discus a distance of 136' 5"). Nathanael Franks drops to 18th place with a score of 5328 (he threw the discus 124' 5")

AT

Sorry got, busy, quick rundown.

Lazas finished 8th in the decathlon, -1 point there, Higgs finished 2nd in the long jump, but Batchelor and Lawson did not place -4 points there.

Solomon Haile did not place in the 10K, -1 point there

Our 4 x 4 team qualified for the final.

Things aren't looking great right now. I have A&M winning by 4 points over the Razorbacks at this moment.

AT

Batchelor does not make the triple jump finals...

Arkansas's shot at a national title is all but gone. A&M's to lose.

Manningfan

AT

Wow, in the 4x4 A&M dropped the baton (that hardly happens in high school, much less college) and Florida gets up to win the 4x4 and tie A&M for a national title. Arkansas finishes 3rd with the runner up finish in the 4x4.

sevenof400

RATTLER43

At least we are back among the elite.  I feel that we should have won it but my expectations are for the Hogs to win it yearly so ...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas