• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ashley Bowl 2018

Started by Sports Guru, October 12, 2018, 09:02:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sports Guru

Let's get it started!!!

Crossett at Hamburg

Gonna be tough Lions are a good team

Go Eagles!!

cjohn1995

October 12, 2018, 09:51:12 pm #1 Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:18:37 am by cjohn1995
Without a doubt one of the best rivalries in the state and a highly anticipated game for both teams and their fans. Hamburg has dominated the rivalry as of late holding on to an 8 game win streak over Crossett. Hamburg comes into this game with an impressive 6-1 record while Crossett is coming off of back to back wins. You can throw records out the window when these two teams play each other.

Sports Guru

Sports Guru

October 12, 2018, 09:57:14 pm #3 Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:53:27 am by Crossett Eagle
Crossett wins over Monticello 45-0

Hamburg escaped West Helena 34-32

Sports Guru

October 13, 2018, 12:49:07 am #4 Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:55:05 am by Crossett Eagle
I will go with Hamburg by 8. Hope I'm wrong

Crossett 20 Hamburg 28

Eagles will get up for this game no doubt about it. If we can just hang tough for 4 quarters we might have a decent shot, but we have to keep the penalties at a minimum and play smart football.

cjohn1995

October 13, 2018, 11:24:04 am #5 Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:26:23 am by cjohn1995
Quote from: Crossett Eagle on October 12, 2018, 09:57:14 pm
Crossett wins over Monticello 45-0

Hamburg escaped West Helena 34-32
Just to escape with a win is impressive. Helena is a really good football team. They don't need to pass to move the ball but they can do both.

davglo35

October 13, 2018, 04:44:36 pm #6 Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:47:28 pm by davglo35
Hamburg will have to not be on their game for crossett to have a shot. The talent difference is very apparent. Hamburg knows how to win and will make it 9 straight. The days of crossett owning the rivalry are over and have been for nearly a decade. Crossett (the town) has went downhill and Hamburg hasn't.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: davglo35 on October 13, 2018, 04:44:36 pm
Hamburg will have to not be on their game for crossett to have a shot. The talent difference is very apparent. Hamburg knows how to win and will make it 9 straight. The days of crossett owning the rivalry are over and have been for nearly a decade. Crossett (the town) has went downhill and Hamburg hasn't.
This post and a dark room and you can grow mushrooms.

Sports Guru

Better enjoy this Win Lions because Crossett will take it next year. Lions will be in a down year in 2019.

Eaglemaniac

The town has gone down huh? Have you driven the streets of Hamburg lately? DUMP!! Always has been always will be.

cjohn1995

Let's try and keep the discussion about football guys. Lol.

Hoghead2

Quote from: Eaglemaniac on October 14, 2018, 09:56:19 am
The town has gone down huh? Have you driven the streets of Hamburg lately? DUMP!! Always has been alwys will be.
Hamburg is Crossett without the Paper Mill. Great Rivalry  !!!

Eaglemaniac

This rivalry took a turn when the rest of the county consolidated with Hamburg. Lots of good athletes that never would have gotten a chance to play football have been given an opportunity to do so. In my opinion it has really helped Hamburg to become a stable program. Cossey coming back  home was a great hire. This year will probably a lopsided game in Hamburg's favor but I do believe we will see a shoft in power next year. 

EagleForLife12

Quote from: Eaglemaniac on October 14, 2018, 04:44:18 pm
This rivalry took a turn when the rest of the county consolidated with Hamburg. Lots of good athletes that never would have gotten a chance to play football have been given an opportunity to do so. In my opinion it has really helped Hamburg to become a stable program. Cossey coming back  home was a great hire. This year will probably a lopsided game in Hamburg's favor but I do believe we will see a shoft in power next year.
That was best thing to ever happen to Hamburg. They were Crossett Jr. For a loooong time.

cjohn1995

October 16, 2018, 10:49:44 am #14 Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:09:48 am by cjohn1995
Quote from: Crossett Eagle on October 13, 2018, 08:19:47 pm
Better enjoy this Win Lions because Crossett will take it next year. Lions will be in a down year in 2019.
Does jumping ahead to next year ever get old? I'm not saying Hamburg won't be down next year but I've been hearing Crossett should be better every year. It's bound to happen eventually. Crossett is capable of winning this year but I wouldn't count on it. Crossett has the talent  every year but for some reason it doesn't translate to many wins.

RAZORBACK FOOTBALL

Yaaaawwwn, time for Raz to wake up and join in.. Eddie Goodson, good to see your still on here you are the only real die hard Crossett fan with a spine these days, these other Eagle Cheerleaders on here dress up in your ugly maroon and come on over and watch yet another curb stomping the Lions are going to put on the Eagles.. Mercy Rule by the 3rd quarter I have informed my boys to let off the gas pedal when the horn stops in the 4th.           

EagleForLife12

Quote from: cjohn1995 on October 16, 2018, 10:49:44 am
Does jumping ahead to next year ever get old? I'm not saying Hamburg won't be down next year but I've been hearing Crossett should be better every year. It's bound to happen eventually. Crossett is capable of winning this year but I wouldn't count on it. Crossett has the talent  every year but for some reason it doesn't translate to many wins.
I'm pulling for them hard because I know they have the talent. Looking to next year doesn't do jack squat. We had 7 get signed to UAM, 1 to Henderson and 1 to Navy last year. Won the state Championship in Track with virtually all football players, but somehow it doesn't translate to the field. I don't understand it we are just in a plague right now.

cjohn1995

October 16, 2018, 02:18:26 pm #17 Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:50:31 pm by cjohn1995
Quote from: EagleForLife12 on October 16, 2018, 01:50:23 pm
I'm pulling for them hard because I know they have the talent. Looking to next year doesn't do jack squat. We had 7 get signed to UAM, 1 to Henderson and 1 to Navy last year. Won the state Championship in Track with virtually all football players, but somehow it doesn't translate to the field. I don't understand it we are just in a plague right now.
It happens but it sucks even worse because the talent is there. I am a Hamburg alumni and supporter but I would like to see Crossett become relevant again. The Ashley County Bowl is always fun but with the exception of a few games it has been lopsided the past 8 years. Crossett will get out of the funk they are in eventually but it has been nice seeing the Lions have success while they are down. 

GoodGuy

So with all the talent Crossett has why hasn't a coach gone there and turned it around? I know its a lot easier said than done but why isn't this a top job? Who have the last few coaches been?

cjohn1995

October 16, 2018, 02:31:42 pm #19 Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:43:13 pm by cjohn1995
Quote from: GoodGuy on October 16, 2018, 02:18:48 pm
So with all the talent Crossett has why hasn't a coach gone there and turned it around? I know its a lot easier said than done but why isn't this a top job? Who have the last few coaches been?
I feel like the culture at Crossett has changed a lot but that is just my opinion. Hamburg has great athletes but that's not the only reason they are good, the players have bought into the system year after year. I think it is safe to assume that coaching might have a lot to do with it.

Eddie Goodson

It is all about numbers. Hamburg had to consolidate Fountain Hill, Wilmot, and Portland to get competitive all the while Crossett stayed the same size geographically and lost 1000 students. Of course alot has changed. Still won't change the fact that Friday night will be war. Doesn't matter which team is up and which is down. It is always a war and should be exciting to watch.

cjohn1995

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 16, 2018, 09:11:53 pm
It is all about numbers. Hamburg had to consolidate Fountain Hill, Wilmot, and Portland to get competitive all the while Crossett stayed the same size geographically and lost 1000 students. Of course alot has changed. Still won't change the fact that Friday night will be war. Doesn't matter which team is up and which is down. It is always a war and should be exciting to watch.
No doubt

davglo35

October 17, 2018, 11:16:33 pm #22 Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:19:04 pm by davglo35
We had a top paper mill executive tell us via teleconference that when he came to Crossett the first time the population was nearly 10,000. Five yrs ago he came back and the population had dropped to under 6,000. That is what i meant by Crossett going downhill. There are a lot less people working at the paper mill than there was 10 yrs ago. People have moved away and there are houses for sale on nearly every block. I wasn't saying that Hamburg is a paradise. I have friends in Crossett that say the same thing. My wife worked for the Crossett school system and I have two kids that graduated from Hamburg. The town of Crossett has went downhill. You can deny it all you want but it's a fact and the numbers don't lie.

ea cat

green-eagle

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 16, 2018, 09:11:53 pm

let's expand on this... Hamburg's school district extends within North Crossett, thus Crossett school district is basically the south west corner of Ashley county and the rest of the county is Hamburg.......many of Hamburg players lives closer to the Crossett high school than Hamburg...so we have a real case of busing!!!!

what hurt Crossett the last two years was the lack of the coaching staff to continue the offense that was put in place for Hunter...or the spread....I was told by several member on this board that Crossett will not go back to the spread, but we have and our Junior high students has been running for several years....
so two years ago we went to some running-odd-offense that did not work.....we had the talent (running backs) but the injury bugs hit us really bad...

so years ago, we had Hamburg down by 21 points and lost that game......why?

so GO EAGLES! and let's just play the game and beside people are leaving the southern part of the state due to jobs.......Paper Mill production jobs are now less labor intense.....so expect less people....now Mcdonald is putting in Kiosk so again less people.......

Sports Guru

October 18, 2018, 12:01:27 pm #25 Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:02:59 pm by Crossett Eagle
Quote from: green-eagle on October 18, 2018, 09:46:35 am
let's expand on this... Hamburg's school district extends within North Crossett, thus Crossett school district is basically the south west corner of Ashley county and the rest of the county is Hamburg.......many of Hamburg players lives closer to the Crossett high school than Hamburg...so we have a real case of busing!!!!

what hurt Crossett the last two years was the lack of the coaching staff to continue the offense that was put in place for Hunter...or the spread....I was told by several member on this board that Crossett will not go back to the spread, but we have and our Junior high students has been running for several years....
so two years ago we went to some running-odd-offense that did not work.....we had the talent (running backs) but the injury bugs hit us really bad...

so years ago, we had Hamburg down by 21 points and lost that game......why?

so GO EAGLES! and let's just play the game and beside people are leaving the southern part of the state due to jobs.......Paper Mill production jobs are now less labor intense.....so expect less people....now Mcdonald is putting in Kiosk so again less people.......
Last meeting in Hamburg we blew a 21 point lead and lost 21-27 in OT, we took our foot off the gas that year and Hamburg stormed back. I believe coaches thought we had it won before it was over. Hamburg scored the game tieing points with just seconds left.

If we get up on them by 21 in the future we best keep our foot on the gas pedal 100 mph!!

cjohn1995

October 18, 2018, 12:27:28 pm #26 Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:35:35 pm by cjohn1995
Quote from: Crossett Eagle on October 18, 2018, 12:01:27 pm
Last meeting in Hamburg we blew a 21 point lead and lost 21-27 in OT, we took our foot off the gas that year and Hamburg stormed back. I believe coaches thought we had it won before it was over. Hamburg scored the game tieing points with just seconds left.

If we get up on them by 21 in the future we best keep our foot on the gas pedal 100 mph!!
Everything happened perfectly for Hamburg to come back but they executed when they needed to. Best high school game I've ever watched. I was convinced Crossett was going to win up 21-0 and I was totally shocked when the lions came back. 

Sports Guru

October 19, 2018, 10:41:53 am #27 Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:42:59 pm by Crossett Eagle
Bring the trophy home Eagles let's play hard and smart tonight. Let's focus and stop getting so many penalties!

Interestingcall

Alright game time. Crossett finally shows up 9 minutes prior to kick off.

Eaglemaniac

Quote from: JAC08 on October 19, 2018, 07:06:30 pm
Alright game time. Crossett finally shows up 9 minutes prior to kick off.

That's because they chose to do their pregame warmup at home.

owl84

Sports Guru

Hamburg leading 7-0 at half

cjohn1995

Quote from: owl84 on October 19, 2018, 07:52:05 pm
Score?
7-0 hamburg at the half. Both defenses have showed up to play.

Sports Guru

Crossett 6 Hamburg 14

7:25 to go

owl84

Eaglemaniac

cjohn1995

Hats off to the eagles.. Gave the lions all they could handle on defense. Impressed with both teams for keeping their emotions in check. I don't think there was one unsportsmanlike penalty all game.

Eaglemaniac

Quote from: cjohn1995 on October 19, 2018, 09:50:32 pm
Hats off to the eagles.. Gave the lions all they could handle on defense. Impressed with both teams for keeping their emotions in check. I don't think there was one unsportsmanlike penalty all game.

That's good to hear. I've seen a few games where flags were flying everywhere for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

davglo35

Crossett did bring their A game. Hamburg just wore em down in the second half. Hamburg kept the ball nearly the entire 4th qtr. 90+ yd drive and had the ball over 9 min then punched it in for TD.

Sports Guru

October 20, 2018, 02:57:07 pm #39 Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 02:59:10 pm by Crossett Eagle
Game was definitely a battle had our defense not have been so worn out it might been 14-6 in Lions favor. Hopefully the Eagles put this loss behind them an get ready for these tough Helena Cougars. Great game this was. Proud that the Eagles came to play!

green-eagle

good game, I wish the outcome was in Crossett favor but.... you can't have everything...

but I got to ask this question.... where were the Crossett crowd? the Ashley Bowl energy?  it was there.....

congrats to the Loins and there win.....

BirdFlu

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas