• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Elkins Elks - new field and very good team with 5-0 record

Started by HSFBF, October 02, 2018, 06:57:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HSFBF

Are there no FF posters representing the Elkins Elks? Having a great season and has a great fan turnout at games but wonder if they know how valuable FF is for information each and every day? Just curious.  The Homecoming game against Subiaco is this Friday and the crowd will be large and loud... Go Elks...

Brian G

Lizard47

SUGARTOWN

I think we should file this under "teams that haven't played anybody yet"...

VanillaThunder

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 03, 2018, 08:16:33 am
You gotta think though, it's not the players fault if they haven't played anyone. It's a smart tactic, build a teams confidence with a good/decent record, then they have the belief they can beat the big guys...

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: VanillaThunder on October 03, 2018, 08:18:42 am
You gotta think though, it's not the players fault if they haven't played anyone. It's a smart tactic, build a teams confidence with a good/decent record, then they have the belief they can beat the big guys...

Didn't say it was anybody's fault, but the two 4A teams they've played are a combined 2-8. It's too early to say how good the Elks are.

VanillaThunder

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 03, 2018, 08:24:00 am
Didn't say it was anybody's fault, but the two 4A teams they've played are a combined 2-8. It's too early to say how good the Elks are.
Good point Stown

Gray lizard

They still wont play anyone till the last three maybe two games of the year.  I think the 4 is way down this year.  I would be shocked to see a team still playing in the third round of playoffs. I have not looked at the brackets but the lone standing team could be the bye team.

beach bum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 03, 2018, 08:16:33 am

Bingo... We have a winner.

7AFball

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 03, 2018, 08:24:00 am
Some FF posters obviously do not know that schedules are made 2-3 years in advance, usually 2...  Changing from 3A to 4A has an added complication on schedules.. AND, something needs to be said that Elkins only plays FOUR home games with 6 being away. That's not fair either, but you gotta play with what you're given, right Sugartown ???.... al la Stuttgart's easy schedule the past couple of years.. hmmmm

7AFball

Quote from: beach bum on October 03, 2018, 03:54:52 pm
Bingo... We have a winner.
Huntsville not a pushover. Greenland beat Charleston!!! etc etc.. Look at those teams and do not call them pushovers!!! Just saying .....

beach bum

October 03, 2018, 05:50:31 pm #11 Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:55:34 pm by beach bum
Quote from: 7AFball on October 03, 2018, 05:28:41 pm
Huntsville not a pushover. Greenland beat Charleston!!! etc etc.. Look at those teams and do not call them pushovers!!! Just saying .....

Lol Huntsville? And Greenland beat Charleston? You mean the worst Charleston team in decades? There are four 4A schools in Washington County including Elkins and they are the 3rd best. Prairie Grove is the worst its been in a while plus Shiloh is slightly sub par of what they are sometimes .... And Elkins still could not beat those two teams. Elkins vs Lincoln would have been a decent game if Elkins had been in the 1-4A. They are 5-0 because of their schedule, period. The opposite is Arkadelphia who is 0-5 because of their schedule. Arkadelphia is a better team than Elkins will a mirror record because of the polar opposite schedules. I think Bauxite should play Elkins so one of them will finally lose a game since they battle it out for the worst SOS

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: 7AFball on October 03, 2018, 05:24:58 pm
Some FF posters obviously do not know that schedules are made 2-3 years in advance, usually 2...  Changing from 3A to 4A has an added complication on schedules.. AND, something needs to be said that Elkins only plays FOUR home games with 6 being away. That's not fair either, but you gotta play with what you're given, right Sugartown ???.... al la Stuttgart's easy schedule the past couple of years.. hmmmm

Sure schedules are made a year or so in advance. But everybody knew who would be moving up or down a year or so in advance too.

And I'm not crowing about Stuttgart either, but perhaps you should go look at their non-conference schedule the past few years. Arkadelphia and Warren are there...

beach bum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 03, 2018, 05:59:58 pm
Sure schedules are made a year or so in advance. But everybody knew who would be moving up or down a year or so in advance too.

And I'm not crowing about Stuttgart either, but perhaps you should go look at their non-conference schedule the past few years. Arkadelphia and Warren are there...

Oh come on Sugartown you act like that was the state title game or something last year  ;D ...... We all know Huntsville and Greenland are the same as Warren and Arky!

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: beach bum on October 03, 2018, 06:03:27 pm

Oh come on Sugartown you act like that was the state title game or something last year  ;D ...... We all know Huntsville and Greenland are the same as Warren and Arky!

They're eerily similar.

Sigmund Sauer

Some questions answered tonight. Most offensive points by Mena so far this season.

HSFBF

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on October 12, 2018, 10:17:59 pm
Some questions answered tonight. Most offensive points by Mena so far this season.
And the most points given up too... If Elkins had made those 2 point conversions work, they would have won by 2. The refs did have some crazy penalty assessments and missed the yardage walked off twice, once by 4 yards. And two penalties were not explained and 'strange' on what was called. Not saying home cooking but if the game was in Elkins, Mena would have lost... This was a real crazy game. Elkins lost their All State type QB with some sort of injury and was out of 3 possessions and returned but his passing was not as good as usual.
The OL got tired and the QB got sacked twice before even looking up to pass. It is Friday night football for sure but too many times strange calls were made, one taking a TD off the board etc. Center snaps were not on target and a pass had to be thrown from the end zone by the punter who tried to avoid a safety. But he passed and it was intercepted, giving Mena only 15 yards to go for a TD..  Too many short drives by Mena, starting with the ball inside Elkin's territory way too many times. The game film needs to be sent to the AAA for review of the ref calls.  Still Mena won and just hope the Elks can beat Pottsville and Ozark at home. Dardanelle there will be tougher than tonight's Mena game. A 7-3 record would be nice. 4th or 5th place however will put us going a LONG way to play a good team in the playoffs... Need 2nd or 3rd for sure! An 8-2 record will do that. Think Mena will lose another conference game and might get 4th seed. Lot depends on next 2 games for both Mena and Elkins...   :-\

beach bum

October 12, 2018, 11:11:43 pm #17 Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:14:36 pm by beach bum
That's the longest excuse I have ever heard for a loss to a completely mediocre opponent... Elkins 6-0 record was a farce based upon playing a weak schedule. Elkins is 6-1 now and not even worthy of top 20 in 4A... thank you Mena for exposing that

Lizard47

Dardanelle will be tougher, we have a defense, and unfortunately so does Ozark. They did their homework on us and usually had a guy in our pitch lane on the weak side option we like to run. They had a good pass rush and coverage. I hate to say it but I think you can only win one of those three games you mentioned. Although the Lizards would much appreciate it if you upset Ozark.

Lizard47

BTW, I know it will not happen. My honest prediction is 3 more losses. You have the unfortunate schedule that saves the best for last.

Baller14

Quote from: VanillaThunder on October 03, 2018, 08:18:42 am
I guess the tactic of playing mediocre teams did not pan out to well tonight. While still not even playing the best two teams in the conference in dardy and ozark.

HSFBF

Quote from: Baller14 on October 12, 2018, 11:29:38 pm
I guess the tactic of playing mediocre teams did not pan out to well tonight. While still not even playing the best two teams in the conference in dardy and ozark.
THE TRUTH:
   Elkins has lost 6 players in the past TWO weeks to injuries and illnesses and 4 were STARTERS...  This week two diagnosed as MONO and out for the year and one has pneumonia. Last night the starting center went out, causing some missed center snaps on punts, etc. A starting end who can catch anything, now is on the line unable to use right wrist due to strain, so playing with an interior lineman #. So, this explains a LOT for those who want the truth. The others, like one antagonistic poster on here, always find something wrong with scheduling or just how good a team isn't.. Playing on all cylinders like 3 weeks ago would have been a win for the Elks last night. Hey, it is what it is, but some facts might help to explain a few things, and still we only lost by 4 points. That is NOT being clobbered. 2 games in NWAR last night were won on the last play of the game, no real bragging rights in my opinion, just the way the ball bounces on any given Friday night. Thanks for reading.   :-\

3 Dollar

Quote from: Gray lizard on October 03, 2018, 09:36:20 am
They still wont play anyone till the last three maybe two games of the year.  I think the 4 is way down this year.  I would be shocked to see a team still playing in the third round of playoffs. I have not looked at the brackets but the lone standing team could be the bye team.

If you haven't looked at the brackets, then how do you know that they have a bye team?

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on October 03, 2018, 09:36:20 am

Honestly the entire 4A is down. I never have seen 3A so close in caliber to 4A.... Usually 3A to 4A is where you see possibly the biggest jump in play from one classification up to the next..... but right now one could argue that the 1-3A and 4-3A are not that far off from being as good as the 1-4A and 4-4A. I never thought we would say that, but I think its true. There really isn't a whole lot of difference in the quality of play this year in those leagues.

Sigmund Sauer

I'll give it to the Elks, 78 points is impressive against any team. So, going into week 9, I'm still not sure what to think of Elkins, but I promise you they can be dangerous on any given Friday!

HSFBF

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on October 19, 2018, 10:02:40 pm
I'll give it to the Elks, 78 points is impressive against any team. So, going into week 9, I'm still not sure what to think of Elkins, but I promise you they can be dangerous on any given Friday!
Hope this puts to rest those anti-Elks posters this past week that a small 4 point loss to Mena at Mena meant nothing considering we had 4 players out, a defense that did tire some in 4th quarter and some questionable ref calls.. Then they said Elkins was just not that good. The so maybe Pottsville is not good? Oh, they did clobber Mena if you check the score..

Then tonight Elkins beat Pottsville 78-41, a mercy rule. Does that say something about the potential of Elkins? Yes, Dardanelle and Ozark remain, but the worst Elkins can do is 3rd if they lose both of those games. And they play at home in the playoffs the first game. So, look at the total picture and look back at that fluke loss to Mena by just 4 points on THEIR field..  Nuff said ......

Brian G

I don't like high scoring games like this one was.

I just don't.

HSFBF

BG
  Every time it looked like an insurmountable lead of 3 TDs in the second half, Pottsville would score and make it a 2 TD game and then they would stop Elkins and Elkins fans feared a one TD lead. It was that kind of game until the 4th quarter when Elkins scored another TD and then the second team scored also. So a 36 point win that was very close until the last 5 minutes and the fear of Pottsville's quick scoring ability in the mind's of the fans, coaches and players.
   Pottsville was ahead the 1st quarter on an Elkins turnover until they had a turnover themselves that allowed Elkins in the game. It was back and forth and only a 29-19 game at half. SEVEN TDs and 43 total points were scored in the 3rd quarter!!  So it was not like someone was ahead by 30-40 points and pouring on the points. The slow point increase was not until the later stages of the 4th Q when Pottsville tired and Elkins 2nd team controlled the ball and scored late. Elkins took a knee rather than kick an XP or go for 2 to score 80 points. That is a game filler.
    BG, high scoring perhaps but SO entertaining, as seen by 7 TDs in one quarter, 4 by one team and 3 by the other!!!  :)  One ref told me it was a crazy back and forth game due to 2 powerful offenses being on the field. I agreed... I was nervous until the middle of the 4th quarter. Pottsville does have a good team and I think will win their first playoff game. Big in size compared to Elkins and more # of players (like 42 to 31 or so) but a little slower overall... not by much. And an explosive running game, compared to Elkins great passing game.
HSFBF

Apache4Life

Brian G

Sorry, but I don't find that kind of game so entertaining.  You can explain it to me all you want.

HSFBF

BG and Apache4Life:

What I do not like are games like last night that were not only mercy ruled but those that were SHUTOUTS of like 60-0 and 55-0 or something like 55-6 or 48-0. Those are FAR more than mercy ruled games and those type games are BORING and shows a big talent difference. Last night, Pottsville kept showing talent the whole game but THEY made mistakes in the end that Elkins took advantage of. You can not tell a second team player to NOT play well and to NOT score.  Nuff...  You like what you like and have opinions. I am thru with the subject brought up about high scoring games. Happens every Friday. Look at last night's scores? 60-0!!! 55-0 and such!! Now THAT is embarrassing Apache sir....

Brian G

Apples and oranges.

As I said, I like what I like and you like what you like.

That ain't football in it's best form.

HSFBF

Thanks, Brian.. Regards to you and keep up the good FF work.  Constructive banter is always good but does not often change our minds. LOL
HSFBF

Sigmund Sauer

The real questions were answered tonight. How is Elkins looking for the coming years? How did their Jr. High team fair by avoiding these 4-4A opponents?

beach bum

Elkins Elks- new field and the easiest schedule in 4A to get to 5-0

Elkins Elks- start playing good teams and finish year at 2-4 down the stretch

HSFBF

You would think some FF posters would realize that schedules are done a couple of years in advance and going into 4A for the first season dictated who you play in conference. The non conference games for Ozark, Dardanelle, Mena etc were similarly weaker teams too, but that is usually how scheduling is done by administrations and ADs, to assure some victories to help records somewhat. Very few schools schedule real good non conference teams to gain tough game experience. Maybe more teams need to do that to let them know what their deficiencies are, but it is up to scheduling a couple of years in advance and not to FF posters ideas of what to do.. JMHO. Sounds like some poster has an ax to grind for some reason or maybe it is his overall nature to be negative. The majority of FF posters like to banter and jab here and there in a friendly fashion. Some never do. Again, MHO...   :-\

7AFball

HSFBF, I totally agree with you. Even in 7A-5A football, teams play down to lower conference divisions most of the time, hopefully go 10-0 rather than 7-3... Helps in the AAA classification rankings and makes players, coaches and administrators look good or whatever your ideas may be. It is what it is! It happened when I played ball decades ago in high school and college ...

Hey, even in COLLEGE scheduling, the SAME thing happens. Teams tend to play non-conference games against lower ranked teams and conferences. Rankings are important, and getting into a bowl game at 6-6 or 7-5 is paramount, rather than losing to 3 very tough teams in non-conference and going 4-8 or 5-7.. That's the way football scheduling goes; done well in advance and determined by administrators and ADs in hopes of pleasing the home town fans and big donors. Go Razorbacks!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas