• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most Annoying PA Announcers

Started by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam, September 10, 2018, 08:45:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

September 10, 2018, 08:45:27 am Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:19:41 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Reddie20

Sylvan Hills' PA announcers are terrible.  They say some of the corniest things!  "The running back fumbled the ball and now it is like finding a needle in a haystack down there!" "The ref sure looked far and wide down there in the valley!"  Just hard to listen to sometimes.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Reddie20 on September 10, 2018, 09:59:57 am
Sylvan Hills' PA announcers are terrible.  They say some of the corniest things!  "The running back fumbled the ball and now it is like finding a needle in a haystack down there!" "The ref sure looked far and wide down there in the valley!"  Just hard to listen to sometimes.

I am going to say any announcer that has a smoker's voice/cough should not be calling games. 

WTD

Mulerider4Life

Sounds like a comedy routine.

RD™

I'll never forget the PA announcer from Newport in 2000. He thought was a freaking play by play announcer. He sounded like Gomer as well.

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

I'll never forget Jacksonville last year. They had one guy doing the game PA and he sounded like a cowboy telling a tale and the other, way younger guy, was there drawing numbers to give away stuff THE ENTIRE GAME. "That gain brings up 1st down.. and number 637, you've just won a gift certificate. Come see me in the press box... and that loss will bring up 2nd and 15."  It was very bizarre.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: RushingRed14 on September 10, 2018, 12:37:10 pm
I'll never forget Jacksonville last year. They had one guy doing the game PA and he sounded like a cowboy telling a tale and the other, way younger guy, was there drawing numbers to give away stuff THE ENTIRE GAME. "That gain brings up 1st down.. and number 637, you've just won a gift certificate. Come see me in the press box... and that loss will bring up 2nd and 15."  It was very bizarre.

Lawd that's funny.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

September 10, 2018, 02:32:13 pm #8 Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:19:53 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

beach bum

Prairie Grove used to have that guy from that country radio station in NW Arkansas a while back. He stopped doing the PA at games cause I think his kid graduated. His was the opposite. He may have been the best PA guy I have ever heard at a high school sporting event.

High Voltage

Announcers should be unbiased at all costs. They should just give the necessary details without all of the, "And it's another blank FIRST DOWN"! Sheeeezz, oh PETE!

jeffslilbro

Quote from: High Voltage on September 10, 2018, 03:06:07 pm
Announcers should be unbiased at all costs. They should just give the necessary details without all of the, "And it's another blank FIRST DOWN"! Sheeeezz, oh PETE!
yes

tylerb230

The PA announcer is supposed to be the biggest supporter of the team out there. For sure they need to be informative and professional, but nothing is worse than a boring, unbiased PA announcer. They can make a 90 yard touchdown feel like a 2 yard run, completely killing the crowd in the process. I did PA for a hockey team for two years. The crowd would've slaughtered me if I was boring (unbiased).

athletic supporter

Quote from: tylerb230 on September 10, 2018, 11:59:37 pm
The PA announcer is supposed to be the biggest supporter of the team out there. For sure they need to be informative and professional, but nothing is worse than a boring, unbiased PA announcer. They can make a 90 yard touchdown feel like a 2 yard run, completely killing the crowd in the process. I did PA for a hockey team for two years. The crowd would've slaughtered me if I was boring (unbiased).

Actually the PA announcer is to be professional and unbiased. They should not be a cheerleader. Those are the girls in skirts on the sidelines. I hate when the guy says," it's 3rd down. Get on your feet and make some noise folks!" If it takes the PA guy telling the fans that then you having a bigger problem than the announcer.

purpleswag

Wrong

purpleswag

Quote from: athletic supporter on September 11, 2018, 06:48:51 am
Actually the PA announcer is to be professional and unbiased. They should not be a cheerleader. Those are the girls in skirts on the sidelines. I hate when the guy says," it's 3rd down. Get on your feet and make some noise folks!" If it takes the PA guy telling the fans that then you having a bigger problem than the announcer.

Wrong

High Voltage

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/public-address-announcers-guidelines/

http://www.ahsaa.org/public/docs/bb_infpublicaddressannouncer_09.pdf

I don't always agree with the AAA but in this instance they are correct. Also the NFHA requires this and that is the rules we play under. Not to mention it is annoying.

purpleswag

Quote from: High Voltage on September 11, 2018, 07:20:48 am
https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/public-address-announcers-guidelines/

http://www.ahsaa.org/public/docs/bb_infpublicaddressannouncer_09.pdf

I don't always agree with the AAA but in this instance they are correct. Also the NFHA requires this and that is the rules we play under. Not to mention it is annoying.

That would be super boring. The people are there for an experience and to have fun. I like announcers with character that are home towners. Nobody I ever talked to said "Hey, you remember that announcer a few years back that was unbiased and did everything the AAA handbook required of a PA announcer?"

Can it be over the top and get annoying??? Absolutely. But some home town spirit is what Fridays are about and wouldn't be the same otherwise

STBruin

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on September 10, 2018, 11:34:27 am
Sounds like a comedy routine.

"there's a hanky on the carpet" in my best 3 pack a day voice

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: purpleswag on September 11, 2018, 08:47:09 am
That would be super boring. The people are there for an experience and to have fun. I like announcers with character that are home towners. Nobody I ever talked to said "Hey, you remember that announcer a few years back that was unbiased and did everything the AAA handbook required of a PA announcer?"

Can it be over the top and get annoying??? Absolutely. But some home town spirit is what Fridays are about and wouldn't be the same otherwise

I guess it even means more if your hometown is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

tylerb230

Completely agree. There are some genuinely bad announcers that only yell stupid homer stuff, and there are good ones that stay balanced. The truly great announcers are the one that can find that balance. For example, you don't have to tell a crowd to get loud on third down. Say the read like you normally would, but with more enthusiasm. Having unbiased reads and a biased tone of voice separates the good announcers from the truly great ones.

tylerb230

Also, if your PA announcer has ever done a Ric Flair "Woo," fire them immediately.

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: tylerb230 on September 11, 2018, 09:54:33 am
Also, if your PA announcer has ever done a Ric Flair "Woo," fire them immediately.

Looking at you, Wynne Basketball "PA" guy.

athletic supporter

It's not the announcer's job to entertain. If you go to a game and aren't entertained by the play on the field then stay home and listen to the "homer" on the radio where it is more than appropriate

High Voltage

Quote from: athletic supporter on September 11, 2018, 10:29:05 am

It's not the announcer's job to entertain. If you go to a game and aren't entertained by the play on the field then stay home and listen to the "homer" on the radio where it is more than appropriate
Haha, +1

Baitshop

purpleswag

Quote from: athletic supporter on September 11, 2018, 10:29:05 am

It's a package deal in my opinion. But hey if you want to eat boiled chicken with water and vanilla ice cream for the rest of your life then more power to you

athletic supporter

Quote from: purpleswag on September 11, 2018, 01:30:43 pm
It's a package deal in my opinion. But hey if you want to eat boiled chicken with water and vanilla ice cream for the rest of your life then more power to you

It's not that. I just enjoy watching kids bust their rears playing a sport they love. I don't need Junior Samples in the press box to enjoy a football game.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

September 11, 2018, 02:29:53 pm #28 Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:20:09 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

September 11, 2018, 02:31:34 pm #29 Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:20:20 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

tylerb230

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on September 11, 2018, 02:29:53 pm
Do you like the ref/officials to be "home towners" and to entertain the crowd?

Refs have an immediate impact on the game. What they do actually affects the game on the field. Not even remotely comparable.

High Voltage

Quote from: athletic supporter on September 11, 2018, 01:35:36 pm

It's not that. I just enjoy watching kids bust their rears playing a sport they love. I don't need Junior Samples in the press box to enjoy a football game.
Bait, the Junior Samples comparison has to hit home, come on you know it does!

High Voltage

Quote from: tylerb230 on September 11, 2018, 03:35:44 pm
Refs have an immediate impact on the game. What they do actually affects the game on the field. Not even remotely comparable.

Yes they do and that is a discussion for another day!

Pr8hd

I'd say Conway's guy was a little over the top. Felt like I was at a Monster Truck event. Having said that, much respect to those guys for the most part. I sure couldn't do it, my emotions would get the best of me .

maxswine

The worst/funniest I ever heard was years ago when my son was playing in a 7th grade game at Vilonia.  The PA guy DURING THE PLAY said, "And it's a fumble!  It's behind you!  Turn around!"

We laughed and laughed about that.

purpleswag

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on September 11, 2018, 02:29:53 pm
Do you like the ref/officials to be "home towners" and to entertain the crowd?

What Tyler said. How can you even compare the two? I like some character from the PA guy, not a hometown ref who gives the home team all the calls.

High Voltage

September 12, 2018, 07:36:21 am #36 Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:47:16 am by High Voltage
Quote from: Baitshop on September 11, 2018, 12:19:10 pm
LOL
I know that SS thinks they don't have to play by the rules, but the AAA never has to listen to the SS announcer during the playoffs anyway, HAHA! ;D

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

September 12, 2018, 09:04:19 am #37 Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:20:33 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

There's validity to the idea that a PA announcer can affect the game. He can get his team to places they otherwise wouldn't in a game. But, I think that the point of the AAA guidelines implicitly say don't treat the opponents poorly. I believe that most sports in high school have left these AAA guidelines behind, personally. If a PA announcer can make a student athlete proud of an accomplishment with his voice, there's nothing wrong with that. In the East, places like Nettleton, Mountain Home (not football), Marion, Paragould have figured this out by allowing teachers to fill the role of PA. They know how to lift a student athlete up without making the opposing student athlete fill less for it.

bigchief72455

TBH, the players on the field don't pay much attention to the PA announcer. They are kind of busy.

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: bigchief72455 on September 12, 2018, 11:01:42 am
TBH, the players on the field don't pay much attention to the PA announcer. They are kind of busy.
If only that were true. Ask any PA announcer for a story about a student athlete saying something they did was cool or encouraging; he'll gladly oblige.

maxswine

LC Greenwood said he got tired of making plays and the PA guy saying Joe Green or Ernie Holmes. So, he would make a play and stick his big yellow high tops in the air while on the ground so the PA guy would say his name.

dip2172

I understand what you're saying, and I get it.  He makes some people smile, and he bothers some people. Lol!  "That will cost them an Abe Lincoln." 
I do want to say this, though.  He's a GREAT guy who has done a TON for the school and the community.  He's rough around the edges at times, but he has a great heart. 

rammer

I moved to Cabot 13 years ago and since I had a kid attending the school and I love football I go to nearly all of the games. The announcer is good but.....after every first down it is that "And that's another Cabot Panther -and the crowd yells "First Down".  With Cabot's 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense we hear that about 30 times a game. I go home and hear it in my sleep. I know it is all in fun but wish it would go away.

South 45

September 12, 2018, 12:37:09 pm #44 Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:13:52 pm by South 45
Not annoying but funny...

I remember hearing about a pa announcer who must have watched a lot of practice and knew the home team personnel fairly well say before an extra point "Looks like their going to attempt the fake".

Last week at a Jr. high game the refs blew one dead mid play. I could not tell why but the announcer's call was "Play blown dead apparently by an inadvertent whistle by the officials" all of them threw a dirty look to the press box... 

ricepig

Ours is too busy reading ads to do too much influencing. He does do the "that's another Hurricane........"

Rocket23

There are homers, there are announcers with personalities and there are announcers that are boring.

I think Johnny George at Razorback football and basketball games always has done a great job.  But the PA can be part of the home field advantage.  He can excite the home fans.

Our basketball coach at Blytheville would announce our games sometimes back the 70s and early 80s. It was pretty comical!  "it's third down and about a six-pack to go... fourth down and nice-sized crappie to go... "the Chickasaw extra point is no good and wouldn't have hit the broad side of the barn."

Rocket23

Rice, I think everyone copies "and that's another _____ first down."  Say thank you to Craig O'Neil.

Topdog1

Southside announcer, don't know him, but he got a lot of the numbers wrong.  Is that his fault?  I would say at least partially.  Maybe a starting lineup could be provided.  Of course so many substitutes nowadays it might not. 

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

September 13, 2018, 08:53:57 am #49 Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:20:54 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas