• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benton vs Greenwood

Started by Topdog1, October 13, 2018, 09:00:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: High Voltage on October 15, 2018, 02:57:09 pm
I don't remember it raining Friday night during the game. Hmmmm!

I was at the game.  It rained.  Although not heavy.  It rained.  Hmmmmmm!   Were you there?  Your answer to this question will reveal a lot!  LOL

RiverRunner02

Definitely looking forward to this one. A lot of people just want to see a good football game and they'll definitely get one Friday night in Greenwood. Biggest game of the year until the playoffs begin. Winner takes the 1 seed loser takes the 2 seed and likely has to travel to West Memphis on Black Friday. On another note it looks like Eldo and Rville will battle for the 3 seed next week.

maxswine

Quote from: Bigfootdogfan on October 16, 2018, 11:57:04 am

What are you saying Max? ( I'll take the over) does that mean you think that GW is over looking WM? Not trying to put words in your mouth just trying to figure out what you mean by saying I'll take the over?

It's a gambling term.  Whatever the total points is set at, I'll take the over.  Meaning, I think it's a high scoring game.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Oldbadger on October 15, 2018, 08:43:02 pm
I won't compare scores unless you want to but the Bulldogs last four opponents are the same as the Panthers.  The 3rd string QB played most of the SS game and all of the hall and Eldo. I can't do it but you can.  Give us the passing stats of your 1st string QB. Seriously, it would be a good comparison.

Let me break this down very simply for you.  I'm saying that you're touting your Soph QB who hasn't gone up against any stellar defenses in the past 2 1/2 games.   Nowhere did I mention comparing scores.  Nowhere did I mention GW's schedule versus Benton's schedule.  Nowhere did I compare GW's QB's stats to Benton's QB's stats. 

Listen.........carefully.......I can explain things to you but I can't understand them for you!  Ready?  Here goes:  Benton's Soph QB hasn't seen a particularly strong defense, therefore, since I believe GW's defense is one of the top 1 or 2 defenses in 6A, then I was suggesting that you not drink too much of the Soph's kool-aid.  That's all I was saying.   Unless your his dad or grandpa, or close family friend, then maybe you can understand the reality of my statement.  Otherwise, continue with the guzzling.

Bigfootdogfan

Ok everyone knows this should be a great game but let's grade each team.

Coaching- I say GW with edge
Running game - I give to Benton
QB - I saw GW if Benton plays their Soph QB
Passing game - toss up
OL - Benton ( I have seen both )
DL - GW  ( Morgan Hanna can be a QBs nightmair )

Bigfootdogfan

Quote from: maxswine on October 16, 2018, 01:58:41 pm
It's a gambling term.  Whatever the total points is set at, I'll take the over.  Meaning, I think it's a high scoring game.

Oh ok I understand over and under in gambling but I thought since I said I wasn't over looking WM you might be talking about us ( GW ) fans were over looking WM.

Oldbadger

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 16, 2018, 01:59:25 pm
Let me break this down very simply for you.  I'm saying that you're touting your Soph QB who hasn't gone up against any stellar defenses in the past 2 1/2 games.   Nowhere did I mention comparing scores.  Nowhere did I mention GW's schedule versus Benton's schedule.  Nowhere did I compare GW's QB's stats to Benton's QB's stats. 

Listen.........carefully.......I can explain things to you but I can't understand them for you!  Ready?  Here goes:  Benton's Soph QB hasn't seen a particularly strong defense, therefore, since I believe GW's defense is one of the top 1 or 2 defenses in 6A, then I was suggesting that you not drink too much of the Soph's kool-aid.  That's all I was saying.   Unless your his dad or grandpa, or close family friend, then maybe you can understand the reality of my statement.  Otherwise, continue with the guzzling.
Well, sorry i stepped on your toes. Dont have any relatives playing. Just go to Bentons games. I dont really care for your opinion especially if it discombobulates you so bad. Again I apologize profusely. I used to love Kool-aid as a kid, but no more. Talk later, maybe a little more gentlemenly. Good luck Friday. Can i say, Go Panthers?

justafan33

Benton will win a close one this year. Both teams are solid. My prediction Panthers 32-28

High Voltage

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 16, 2018, 01:50:22 pm
I was at the game.  It rained.  Although not heavy.  It rained.  Hmmmmmm!   Were you there?  Your answer to this question will reveal a lot!  LOL
Yeah, I'm at every game and no it didn't rain a drop where I set.

High Voltage

October 16, 2018, 10:36:39 pm #59 Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:39:46 pm by High Voltage
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@4113141/historic

I am getting pretty old so I wanted to make sure I was losing my mind. Click the link and go to the bottom and punch in 10/12. Doesn't show any rain after 12:53pm. I set on the southside of the bleachers so maybe it was raining where you were sitting? Weirder things have happened! ;D

Bigfootdogfan

Well it may not have rained last Friday and it may not rain this Friday but if it does one thing is for sure and that is there is going to be a good ballgame in GW.

VanillaThunder

Quote from: Bigfootdogfan on October 16, 2018, 01:04:14 pm

I live in Little Rock now but lived in GW for 35 years my son was on the 2000 state championship team and I have been following them since 1994. I just love Good High School Football. Both Benton and GW have good teams and good coaching so it will be a good game. Is it Friday yet?
sure wish it was! best way to start off the weekend is with some football.

Lumberjackfan1978

Greenwood pulls it out by 6

jeffslilbro

Isn't benton's rb the same one as last year? If Benton is counting on a rb winning the game for them then the game is over already.

Lanny

VanillaThunder

Quote from: jeffslilbro on October 17, 2018, 06:48:06 am
Isn't benton's rb the same one as last year? If Benton is counting on a rb winning the game for them then the game is over already.
It is the same guy, but they have a good RB core and QB, not just a running threat

Bigfootdogfan

Quote from: jeffslilbro on October 17, 2018, 06:48:06 am
Isn't
benton's rb the same one as last year? If Benton is counting on a rb winning the game for them then the game is over already.

He isn't the same running back as last year, let me explain, same person as last year but a different running back. I was at the game last year and we were able to keep him in check with probably the best def in the state last year but he is a year older and a lot stronger. I am a die hard Bulldog fan but I am a realist and know a good running back when I see one. I live in LR and one of my best friends lives in Benton so I have gone with him twice to Bentons games and I will tell you this guy is the real deal, now does that mean he will run all over GW, I don't think so because of several reasons, one our coaches will have a good plan to slow him down and although our def. might not be as dominate as last year they are still good and we have a weapon#51 who makes off. Do things they don't want to do. He will spend the night in their backfield. So although the player has the same name as their running back as last year he is not the same running back as last year if you know what I mean. GO BULLDOGS!!!!!

RDâ„¢

Quote from: Lanny on October 17, 2018, 07:17:05 am
I like Benton in this game
Greenwood isn't losing in Smith Robinson.

Oldbadger

Quote from: RDâ„¢ on October 17, 2018, 09:46:57 pm
Greenwood isn't losing in Smith Robinson.
Where are they playing?

Suzuki Libation Nation

Quote from: Oldbadger on October 17, 2018, 10:31:32 pm
Where are they playing?
They are playing at Magazine in the now renowned Rattler Bowl! Winner gets to eat snake meat!
Grindwood 50
Gentle Ben 2000 pounds 21
JS

Oldbadger

Scared me for a minute,  thought they were playing in Smith Robinson!lol

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: High Voltage on October 16, 2018, 10:36:39 pm
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@4113141/historic

I am getting pretty old so I wanted to make sure I was losing my mind. Click the link and go to the bottom and punch in 10/12. Doesn't show any rain after 12:53pm. I set on the southside of the bleachers so maybe it was raining where you were sitting? Weirder things have happened! ;D

Not that I don't trust the weather App and Garret Lewis 100%, but according to my wife, and the 10 other people around us, it was spitting rain on and off the whole game.   But where splitting hairs here.   

Greenwood has to put some licks on that RB early in the game, and play solid run defense and this game wont be close.  If their running back gets it going, then it might be a long night for GW. 

PS  Bring your rainsuit.  Just sayin

PA Dad

GW is the cream of 6A.  They have been since they moved up.  I think Benton will be too tight.  GW by 14.

7AFBFAN

GW will likely score on every possession. The pressure of Benton having to score every time to keep pace will put too much pressure on them and this will be another lopsided GW win. Once again it is GW at top of 6A and then a big gap to everyone else. 5A would be a much tougher classification for GW. 

Oldbadger

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 19, 2018, 08:29:15 am
GW will likely score on every possession. The pressure of Benton having to score every time to keep pace will put too much pressure on them and this will be another lopsided GW win. Once again it is GW at top of 6A and then a big gap to everyone else. 5A would be a much tougher classification for GW. 
I can't wait to see this game! Go Panthers!

High Voltage

5A would be a tougher classification? The only close game GW would have in 5A would be PA. GW would play in the West and that would be a mercy rule in every conference game. Now GW moving to 7A would be interesting.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

"5A would be a much tougher classification for GW".  I wish I could slap you more than once!   Please tell me, out of the teams in the 5A West (Alma, Clarksville, Farmington, Greenbrier, Harrison, Huntsville, Morrilton, Vilonia) One team that would pose a remote threat to Greenwood?  Also, I'd love for you to tell me which of those teams would love to see Greenwood on their 2019 Schedule?   Please tell me that you made a typing error and meant to type 7A instead of 5A.

7AFBFAN

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 19, 2018, 02:24:15 pm
"5A would be a much tougher classification for GW".  I wish I could slap you more than once!   Please tell me, out of the teams in the 5A West (Alma, Clarksville, Farmington, Greenbrier, Harrison, Huntsville, Morrilton, Vilonia) One team that would pose a remote threat to Greenwood?  Also, I'd love for you to tell me which of those teams would love to see Greenwood on their 2019 Schedule?   Please tell me that you made a typing error and meant to type 7A instead of 5A.

In my opinion PA and a few others are much better competition year in and year out than what we see in the 6A behind GW this year. I could really care less what you think.

7AFBFAN

Quote from: High Voltage on October 19, 2018, 02:15:28 pm
5A would be a tougher classification? The only close game GW would have in 5A would be PA. GW would play in the West and that would be a mercy rule in every conference game. Now GW moving to 7A would be interesting.

Meaning tougher to win it all. GW may win the championship again this year in a landslide. I think a team like PA would make it tougher than what second best in 6A has to offer this year. PA for sure last year would have been as good or better than second best in 6A. Hey just my opinion.

Oldbadger

Well. Here I am at rain soaked Smith Robinson. Pouring down. Who does this favor? Will wait till the last minute to go in. Hate this weather. Go Panthers.

The Future

October 19, 2018, 07:21:30 pm #80 Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:18:24 pm by The Future
Quote from: The Future on October 16, 2018, 12:41:11 pm
Win or lose, this game will help both teams tremendously once playoffs start.
Other than Northside and Cabot, all of Greenwood's and Benton's games have been a breeze. Both teams could use a battle.
It's good that it comes this late in the season and it's also good that both teams will play Sheridan and Lake Hamilton in the final weeks to heal players and finish fine tuning before playoffs.

I know usually in the tradition tangible category, Greenwood usually has the edge. But maybe not so much this game. The last time Greenwood went into a game this big and with this low of a win percentage was probably the 2016 title game. Or if not that, then the semi game against Pine Bluff before that. So that means all the sophomores and juniors on this team haven't been in a battle atmosphere. A game where it's gonna take every second of the clock to win. Only the seniors have experience in this type of game.

I'm gonna hold off on a score prediction but I'll toss in some other fun predictions.
-Neither team will score on its opening drive
-It will be a two possession game at halftime
-Both teams will have a field goal
-And both teams will combine for 70+ points, 800+ TOY, and 4 turnovers.

As always, good luck to both teams, safe travels to the fans, and pray for no serious injuries

Well my first two predictions have come to pass

Bigfootdogfan

Your second and third are spot on as well. Let's go to vagus.

The Future

Quote from: Bigfootdogfan on October 19, 2018, 08:19:54 pm
Your second and third are spot on as well. Let's go to vagus.
You pay for gas and I'll get the snacks!  :D

Pr8hd

October 19, 2018, 09:12:16 pm #83 Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:15:12 pm by Pr8hd
No FG's yet...based on Benton's kicking not sure if one will factor in for them, but could for GW.

Got the Over on the Pts.

The Future

October 19, 2018, 09:22:33 pm #84 Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:45:42 pm by The Future
Yea it's looking like I missed the field goal one.

Not sure where we are at on total yards but I doubt we're close to 800.
And we still need two more turnovers

Oldbadger

You guys had me believing Jones was classy. Not so. Game in hand so he had to score to make it 62. Lol

7AFBFAN

How do you keep from scoring against that defense?

Pr8hd

Quote from: Oldbadger on October 19, 2018, 09:51:50 pm
You guys had me believing Jones was classy. Not so. Game in hand so he had to score to make it 62. Lol

Sounds pretty sour grapes....

Benton showed all night they could score in the air in a hurry. Benton wants to be a champion contender then they need to stop them, get the ball and score. No reason for GW to take foot off throttle. Bad defense all night by Benton basically. You guys are WAY bigger, but suck it up and play. GW wasn't going to be intimidated and give it to you.  There is no prize for Mrs. Congeniality.

Oldbadger

You dont keep you 1rst offense on. No class.

Pr8hd

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 19, 2018, 09:56:42 pm
How do you keep from scoring against that defense?

Exactly...Benton was pretty anemic defensively more or less. Russ coach told me last week GW would win by a few scores. He was right in his assessment. 

Pr8hd

October 19, 2018, 10:12:12 pm #90 Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:23:10 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Oldbadger on October 19, 2018, 10:02:31 pm
You dont keep you 1rst offense on. No class.

Maybe you will get a chance to show what class is at LR .

Make a play on the receiver and KEEP them from scoring that is generally the goal of defense....Benton controlled that as much as GW did.  Don't let your fate or score margin be dictated by your ineptness.

Oldbadger

You can't defend him. No class. He just had to show up the Benton fans. No class.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Oldbadger on October 19, 2018, 10:20:41 pm
You can't defend him. No class. He just had to show up the Benton fans. No class.

you're a complete moron!  Benton got it handed to em.  Now shut up!

Pr8hd

October 19, 2018, 10:26:45 pm #93 Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:21:25 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Oldbadger on October 19, 2018, 10:20:41 pm

You do realize it was only a 15 pt game with 9 min and change left right?? Final margin was 29 and if you look at the scores from all over, there were way more examples of pouring it on someone mercilessly.  I guess it would have been better and classier to invoke the mercy rule?

Gimme a break, CRJ could give 2 sheets about Benton fans. He could have cared less what Benton or for that matter GW fans alike thought at that moment. One of the only games all year GW's offense is on the field for all the 4th quarter. That might be important in the coming weeks to execute in the 4th quarter for GW or dare we say, any team with playoff aspirations.

Maybe he just hates maroon, I guess...because he stuck 60 on the Panthers twice now and in his 15 years, GW only has put 60 on someone 3 times. 

Go lick some salt for your wounds....you are just mad because you thought Benton would win and they got boat raced in the end, no two ways about it. Got beat by a MUCH smaller but better team.   

Suzuki Libation Nation

Quote from: Pr8hd on October 19, 2018, 10:02:13 pm
Sounds pretty sour grapes....

Benton showed all night they could score in the air in a hurry. Benton wants to be a champion contender then they need to stop them, get the ball and score. No reason for GW to take foot off throttle. Bad defense all night by Benton basically. You guys are WAY bigger, but suck it up and play. GW wasn't going to be intimidated and give it to you.  There is no prize for Mrs. Congeniality.
I thought Miss Congeniality received a trophy.... isn't that a prize?

Oldbadger

This is the last I will say on the subject. It has nothing to do with the game or the players. Greenwood is a good team and did beat Benton fair and square. I am just saying that the score was 55 to 33 with less than five minutes left the coach should have put the second team in and ran out the clock. If they scored great. I would not have said a word. Benton could not have scored 4 tds in five minutes. You guys are fighting so hard to justify it that your response tells me you actually agree. You don't have to get tacky and call me names. That only shows a lack of class on your part. Your coach is a great coach, I would never attack that aspect. I just felt that he was making a statement and he shouldn't have. I'm from Arkadelphia, I have good friends in Benton. I follow the team. I was there. Great game! I hope our teams meet again. I will be there if they do.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 15, 2018, 04:33:46 pm
I don't have a dog in the fight or a kid on either team but I will say that the difference maker in the game will be Holt. Kid just knows how to win and is a tremendous talent.

Anyone disagree with this post? All the kid does is WIN!!!!

Pr8hd

October 20, 2018, 07:25:31 am #97 Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 07:56:30 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 20, 2018, 07:01:22 am
Anyone disagree with this post? All the kid does is WIN!!!!

Pretty spot on, he's been the 'dude" all year on the offensive side of the ball. It takes 10 others as well and they have given him the support needed because after the NS game they have improved weekly in most all phases. Holt aka the Ice Cream Man has delivered consistently better than Schwans.

As good as is at football, you should see him play baseball. Sure wish, Hogs would stop and watch closer on the diamond. Hate that he has to go to La Lafayette to showcase his talents on the D1 level.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Pr8hd on October 20, 2018, 07:25:31 am
Pretty spot on, he's been the 'dude" all year on the offensive side of the ball. It takes 10 others as well and they have given him the support needed because after the NS game they have improved weekly in most all phases. Holt aka the Ice Cream Man has delivered consistently better than Schwans
You are partially correct.... He's been the DUDE his entire life in everything he does!!! I hope last night shows everyone who the best player in 6A, and possibly the state is!!!

Pr8hd

Quote from: Oldbadger on October 20, 2018, 01:24:12 am
This is the last I will say on the subject. It has nothing to do with the game or the players. Greenwood is a good team and did beat Benton fair and square. I am just saying that the score was 55 to 33 with less than five minutes left the coach should have put the second team in and ran out the clock. If they scored great. I would not have said a word. Benton could not have scored 4 tds in five minutes. You guys are fighting so hard to justify it that your response tells me you actually agree. You don't have to get tacky and call me names. That only shows a lack of class on your part. Your coach is a great coach, I would never attack that aspect. I just felt that he was making a statement and he shouldn't have. I'm from Arkadelphia, I have good friends in Benton. I follow the team. I was there. Great game! I hope our teams meet again. I will be there if they do.

Understood, but Benton despite the score difference in the end was there in it  til the last 9 min. Very dangerous team offensively- size, speed, good receivers, and Soph. QB was as good as some were touting him to be probably better. They gashed GW all night in the air. GW committed to stopping the run, and they did. Wallace getting dinged up some did that, but scheme had a lot to do with it.  Defensively, well they are not as good, had a bad night, or GW's offensive execution was just that good. 

Last thing I would mention on score....week prior Benton beat ED 62-35 (pretty much the same score as GW/Benton). Didn't Benton add one later in the game to push that differential as well?? They were up significantly also if I recall. So, don't cast stones at GW if you did the same thing as well against ED. It works both ways. Perhaps, CRJ stuck one to Harris on behalf of Reed? Who knows? I do agree he could have kicked a FG or run it, but he knows a thing more about what is happening on the field than me and/or looking at the big picture of things. I know their are certain coaches he likely has distaste for, such as when Floyd was at Shiloh comes to mind.

I do think Benton has a good team mostly and can handle WM on the other side of the bracket since WM is touting their defense (Benton Offense vs. WM Defense sounds like a good show to me worthy of the price of admission). So, if both teams take care of business the rest of the way, they may see each other again on the big stage.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas