• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drug Testing

Started by Radiotalker, July 02, 2014, 09:39:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiotalker

July 02, 2014, 09:39:36 pm Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:50:26 pm by Radiotalker
I read in a local paper today that Osceola will begin drug testing of all student participating in AAA sanctioned sports, cheerleading, and clubs such as FBLA and FFA.

Mandatory at the beginning of each program and subject to random tests. 1st offense failure....suspended 20 days of AAA activities. 2nd offense suspended for remainder of the year.

I applaud the step.

KOJACK

Quote from: Radiotalker on July 02, 2014, 09:39:36 pm
I read in a local paper today that Osceola will begin drug testing of all student participating in AAA sanctioned sports, cheerleading, and clubs such as FBLA and FFA.

Mandatory at the beginning of each program and subject to random tests. 1st offense failure....suspended 20 days of AAA activities. 2nd offense suspended for remainder of the year.

I applauded the step.
I think Prescott has done that for a few years now.

WPWells

Charleston has done it for several years. If you participated in any extracurricular or had a parking permit to drive to school then you could be subjected to random testing. I was tested once when I was in high school

DeeGee

Glen Rose has had that policy for several years as well. Drug tested weekly during season and random testing during off season. If any of the athletes are on prescribe meds the parents have to bring in their current prescription bottle to the nurse or school resource officer.

Gotcha

Quote from: DeeGoldie on July 03, 2014, 03:30:05 am
Glen Rose has had that policy for several years as well. Drug tested weekly during season and random testing during off season. If any of the athletes are on prescribe meds the parents have to bring in their current prescription bottle to the nurse or school resource officer.
hypathetically; if my child were to wake up with a pounding headache and earache at 2 am, and i gave him my perscription grade pain meds to get through the night, would he be suspended when tested the next day if i brought my perscription to the school?

adaptedtigerfan

Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 07:51:07 am
Quote from: DeeGoldie on July 03, 2014, 03:30:05 am
hypathetically; if my child were to wake up with a pounding headache and earache at 2 am, and i gave him my perscription grade pain meds to get through the night, would he be suspended when tested the next day if i brought my perscription to the school?

If you took your spouses prescription because of a headache and you were drug tested @ work could they bring their script to your work to keep your job???

NO!!!!

Gotcha

Correct. But my spouse isnt considered a minor under my control in our legal system. Thanks for the answer and no thanks for the roundabout sarcastic methods.

adaptedtigerfan

Is it legal to pass around prescription drugs to whom ever you choose?   And just going out on a limb her but pain killers probably a lil strong for a headache.

Jacketman65

I wish they would make it mandatory for all schools.  Maybe some drug and alcohol problems could be headed off before they turn into bigger problems.  I don't think that it will happen though because of the cost.

cuckoobird

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on July 03, 2014, 08:28:15 am
Is it legal to pass around prescription drugs to whom ever you choose?   And just going out on a limb her but pain killers probably a lil strong for a headache.
It's the wussification of America. Get a ingrown nail and ask the doc for hydros. Sad thing is he/she will probably prescribe them for you

cuckoobird

Quote from: Jacketman65 on July 03, 2014, 08:28:27 am
I wish they would make it mandatory for all schools.  Maybe some drug and alcohol problems could be headed off before they turn into bigger problems.  I don't think that it will happen though because of the cost.
+1

Gotcha

you only cant understand a headache of that magnitude because youve never been on the recieving end of your FF bull. Again, thanks for the answer to my hypothetical question, but being a fricktard is a personal choice we make, and youre doing it wrong.

Gotcha

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 08:29:58 am
It's the wussification of America. Get a ingrown nail and ask the doc for hydros. Sad thing is he/she will probably prescribe them for you
youre right. We should go back to the days where they just cut your toe off to save it from infection. You do know there is a fever reducer mixed with the hydrocodone right? Could help with that swollen toe. Some street sellers call them hydros, but i can see you already knew that.......i guess while we are un-"wussifying" we can go back to popping salt tabs during two-a-days to make us tough too huh?

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 08:34:54 am
you only cant understand a headache of that magnitude because youve never been on the recieving end of your FF bull. Again, thanks for the answer to my hypothetical question, but being a fricktard is a personal choice we make, and youre doing it wrong.

Hey gotcha,  usually a good dose if ibuprofen will knock out any type of a headache or earache.  Also, I am assuming by your style of sentence structure as well as the spelling of certain words that you more than likely are not a doctor of any sort.  You may stray away from giving a child anything that is not prescribed to them specifically by a doctor.  I have no problem at all with random drug testing in schools.  Most receive money of some form or fashion from some government.  I am all for drug testing any person that receives any monetary contribution from any government entity.

Jimbo Morphis

i am all for testing the sandwich eaters but leave those 4.3 and 4.4 guys alone. they smoke weed in college and the nfl, who cares.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 08:46:17 am
Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 08:29:58 am
youre right. We should go back to the days where they just cut your toe off to save it from infection. You do know there is a fever reducer mixed with the hydrocodone right? Could help with that swollen toe. Some street sellers call them hydros, but i can see you already knew that.......i guess while we are un-"wussifying" we can go back to popping salt tabs during two-a-days to make us tough too huh?
No, you go ahead and keep over medicating, that's what soccer moms do these days

Hootie

Quote from: Oldman on July 03, 2014, 08:54:19 am
i am all for testing the sandwich eaters but leave those 4.3 and 4.4 guys alone. they smoke weed in college and the nfl, who cares.

They gotta do something to make the world slow down for them since they're sooooo fast. They make fast people look slow, and the slow people even slower.

Gotcha

Again, this all started with a hypothetical question. A straight answer alone wouldve been sufficient.......ill entertain your theory anyways. Hypothetically they take a perscription drug and get caught and suspended from high school. The suspension drops their GPA and their self esteem. They end up out of a scholarship and working at mcdonalds. Then they realize that welfare checks allow them to stay home, do drugs, and still keep the same level income. Or, better yet, they resort to crime to provide sufficient income and end up in prison. Whathappens to your tax dollars then?........education is the only hope for the kids you are culling out of the group as if you didnt realize they would have to be an adult one day regardless.

adaptedtigerfan

It's suspension from AAA activities not school.

WPWells

I think that you just proved everyone's points about the wussification of America. If a situation like that were to play out like you described then something is seriously wrong. I know that most of that happens every day, but very little of it starts with a failed drug test at school

OLDSCHOOL82

Thats why a child should only take scrips provided to them from a doctor.  Bad things happen to good people all the time.  Sometimes bad luck and sometimes its just one bad decision that haunts them the rest of their life.  The scenario that you laid out probably has happened.  I would also say that it has probably happened very few times. Many people get in some form of trouble and recover from it 100% and it never holds them back.  It depends on the character of the child and the parents.  I would think the drug testing has more positives than negatives and I'm all for it.  Don't even get me started on where our tax dollars are spent.  This age of entitlement makes me go crazy!

cuckoobird

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on July 03, 2014, 09:20:51 am
Thats why a child should only take scrips provided to them from a doctor.  Bad things happen to good people all the time.  Sometimes bad luck and sometimes its just one bad decision that haunts them the rest of their life.  The scenario that you laid out probably has happened.  I would also say that it has probably happened very few times. Many people get in some form of trouble and recover from it 100% and it never holds them back.  It depends on the character of the child and the parents.  I would think the drug testing has more positives than negatives and I'm all for it.  Don't even get me started on where our tax dollars are spent.  This age of entitlement makes me go crazy!
+1

Gotcha

Ahh i see. This proves that i was ignorant in the matter and was sincerely asking a question about the policy.......whats their angle? Lol hydros give them an unfair advantage in sports? Sounds more like roid screening to me.

Gotcha

adaptedtigerfan

Why would you ask the ? Unless u are shoving scripts down your child's throat?

Gotcha

I dont have a child.
Hypothetical Definition
dictionary.search.yahoo.com
adj. adjective
Of, relating to, or based on a hypothesis.
a hypothetical situation.
Suppositional; uncertain.
Conditional; contingent.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on July 03, 2014, 09:29:26 am
he has a crazy dog that needs meds shoved down her throat.

Gotcha

Quote from: Oldman on July 03, 2014, 09:39:16 am
Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on July 03, 2014, 09:29:26 am
he has a crazy dog that needs meds shoved down her throat.
lol she thinks youre crazy too oldman.

centralarfan

I support high school drug testing also. What is the test looking for exactly (illegal drugs, alcohol, steroids)?

Gotcha

Quote from: centralarfan on July 03, 2014, 10:28:55 am
I support high school drug testing also. What is the test looking for exactly (illegal drugs, alcohol, steroids)?
Be careful how you ask questions bro. Just fyi

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: centralarfan on July 03, 2014, 10:28:55 am
alcohol too, cmon man.

Gotcha

Obviously. You havent seen dangerous till youve seen a 17 year old roid raging while drunk on a 1/5 of boones farm.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 10:39:43 am
Obviously. You havent seen dangerous till youve seen a 17 year old roid raging while drunk on a 1/5 of boones farm.
i would bet you big money none of the football stars have ever had a random test. can any of you guys whose schools drug test give me an example of a football star being suspended?

KOJACK

In 2005 Prescott tested a 6'7" 260lb beast. He failed and never played another snap of football in his career. At the time he was being recruited by several colleges. He is awaiting a prison sentence as we speak :'(

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: KOJACK on July 03, 2014, 10:54:25 am
In 2005 Prescott tested a 6'7" 260lb beast. He failed and never played another snap of football in his career. At the time he was being recruited by several colleges. He is awaiting a prison sentence as we speak :'(

So see... if you fail one drug test you will be standing in line for prison in 9 years.

Hootie

So sorry Kojack. I hope everything works out for you!  :'(

Gotcha

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on July 03, 2014, 10:59:33 am

So see... if you fail one drug test you will be standing in line for prison in 9 years.
that is why we give the tests right? People on drugs are pure evil. They shouldnt be mixed with us regular folks.

HorseFeathers

can we get testing instituted for fearlessfriday posters as well?

cuckoobird

Quote from: HF on July 03, 2014, 11:28:34 am
Probably the most insane posters are drug free. I can say that for myself anyway

Hootie

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 11:29:52 am
Probably the most insane posters are drug free. I can say that for myself anyway

No way bro you're definitely on the juice. Been here for 2 years and already have 7k posts.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Hootie on July 03, 2014, 11:31:20 am

No way bro you're definitely on the juice. Been here for 2 years and already have 7k posts.
lol I've got a cushy job that gives me way too much free time. You nerds getting your panties in a wad make the day go faster

Hootie

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 11:33:03 am

lol I've got a cushy job that gives me way too much free time. You nerds getting your panties in a wad make the day go faster

So what you're saying is you get off to idiots posting idiot stuff... Okay..

cuckoobird

Quote from: Hootie on July 03, 2014, 11:35:08 am

That statement is so imbecilic I can't even understand it's meaning. Sorry, I don't speak asinineese

Gotcha

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 12:24:03 pm
Quote from: Hootie on July 03, 2014, 11:35:08 am

That statement is so imbecilic I can't even understand it's meaning. Sorry, I don't speak asinineese
snoop dogg?

KOJACK

I object lol

Gotcha

Someone was discussing oxymorons the other day. I dont speak asinineese has to be the number 1 example of all time.

DogsWin7

July 03, 2014, 12:40:34 pm #46 Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:42:37 pm by DiehardFBfan
Quote from: Jacketman65 on July 03, 2014, 08:28:27 am

I agree....however, the push is always to do better in athletics and academics and with a policy like this enforced it could help every child from a health stand point alone.

I do know that some parents concerns are that they shouldn't be allowed to test unless there is suspicion first.   Some feel it violates their child's rights.   There will probably always be discontent by some parents....it's hard to please everyone. 

Hootie

If you're entertaining we will turn the other cheek. The biggest double standard in HS athletics.

If you aren't gifted, and you fail the test, athletics are over for you.

Jimbo Morphis

lets drug teat and require a 3.0 gpa to play any sport. all the little johnny's can start. i love soccer.

Gotcha

If we do finally figure out a way to keep high school kids, especially athletes in the spotlight, completely ignorant to drugs; what happens when they go to college?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas