• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hope Head Coach

Started by RabidWolf, April 18, 2018, 12:23:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RabidWolf

Jay Turley comes to Prescott as Middle School Principle. Welcome to the Pack!

But where does Hope go now? Tough situation. 

PapaHog

Start fresh. Clean house. Only thing that job opening has going for it is that it will be a 5A job.

airitout

Quote from: PapaHog on April 18, 2018, 07:48:22 pm
Start fresh. Clean house. Only thing that job opening has going for it is that it will be a 5A job.

Can HS's "clean house" really anymore?

danielsau07

Cleaning house is not the answer.  I have seen the time and effort every coach and student athlete has spent practicing and preparing everyday.  For whatever reason it has not translated to game day these last few years.  People who are not aware or a part of the situation shouldn't cast blame.  Hope will be back soon, mark my words.

Pat Swilling

Better get someone in soon.  Whoever they hire has to hit the hallways.  I'm not sure Doug Means is not a bad choice either.

danielsau07

I guarantee they will find the best person for the job.  Turley was one of the best in the business.  He and every coach at Hope cares and gives all they have for the student athletes.  Thats what its all about, not wins and losses.

Hoghead2

Papahog, thanks for the kind words. Hope will bounce back. Sure the Bobcats have hit a rough 21 game losing streak. Things happen. I'm sure there's a coach who will come in and win. There's talent in Hope, they have great facilities and they will win again. We thank Coach Turley for his efforts and hard work.  He brought us 2 5A South Titles and the end of Camden Fairviews 29 game 5A South winning streak. "Tis the emblem of, the school that we love, may it reign through eternity  !!!!   Go Bobcats !!!

PapaHog

I wouldn't say they will be back soon. I don't wish anything bad on any coaches, but when you're going 0-fer from jr high to Sr High... it's a TOUGH spot for everybody.

mulerida

Any news? Is this a hot job or are coaches staying away?

Pat Swilling

Wonder if any small school HC's will want this situation?

FootballFever

Anyone herd any names associated with this job?

scrapdig

One of the worst jobs in the state.  Good luck

PapaHog

Careful, scrap. Don't say anything bad.

Iknewthemwhen

Seems to be a lot of late movement in jobs.  Turley did well untill the last couple years, what happened.  Those 0 for years make people not want to apply.  He's a great coach and went 0-10 two years in a row, what the heck would someone want this job for?

scrapdig

Not to mention kids are leaving Hope at a rapid pace and there isn't much talent at all.  Bad family support for most kids.  Only positive I see is they have facilities nicer than some colleges.

AHS06

Quote from: scrapdig on April 25, 2018, 08:46:25 am
Not to mention kids are leaving Hope at a rapid pace and there isn't much talent at all.  Bad family support for most kids.  Only positive I see is they have facilities nicer than some colleges.
There is still a lot of talent in Hope.  Where do you suggest the kids are moving?  This could be a very respectable job for the right coach. 

PapaHog

I could be wrong, but I think that number I heard was like 8 kids started for other schools that live in the district. They are going somewhere. If there's still talent, then someone needs to find a way to get them on the field. Or get another Sosa Agim to move in.

scrapdig

Still talent? JH was worst I've ever seen the last two years in football. 

JessieP

April 25, 2018, 12:35:23 pm #18 Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:47:41 pm by JessieP
I think the Hope situation is another salvo in what's being called the death of football. Full disclosure, I love football, am a die hard football fan. I'm glued to it Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It breaks my heart. The fact is that the number of kids playing high school football has dropped by 12% nationwide over the past 5 years, 17% in Arkansas. Both KTHV and KAIT did segments on it last year. They listed the contributing factors as CTE, competition for the kids interest, financial issues and lack of parity. I think the latter is the main cause of Hope's woes. Look at Arkansas, you have the same 4 or 5 teams at the top every year and the rest are the Washington Generals. It's a classic case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting life support. It used to be a lot of kids played football to be "big man on campus", those days are gone. Look at Hope, how do you get kids enthusiastic with a sales pitch of "You have to work year round, you'll lose 40% of your summer working out in 90 degree heat, you'll get banged up, you'll stay after school until 6 or 7 every day, you'll get up on Saturday at 8am to lift weights, all so you can get the crap kicked out of you Friday night", sign me up! The kids who love football will still be there, what we're losing is the on the fence kids. It's sad but until high school associations develop the NFL model (last goes first, winning attaches a handicap, we're going to even the playing field) the numbers will continue to drop.

scrapdig

Quote from: JessieP on April 25, 2018, 12:35:23 pm
I think the Hope situation is another salvo in what's being called the death of football. Full disclosure, I love football, am a die hard football fan. I'm glued to it Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It breaks my heart. The fact is that the number of kids playing high school football has dropped by 12% nationwide over the past 5 years, 17% in Arkansas. Both KTHV and KAIT did segments on it last year. They listed the contributing factors as CTE, competition for the kids interest, financial issues and lack of parity. I think the latter is the main cause of Hope's woes. Look at Arkansas, you have the same 4 or 5 teams at the top every year and the rest are the Washington Generals. It's a classic case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting life support. It used to be a lot of kids played football to be "big man on campus", those days are gone. Look at Hope, how do you get kids enthusiastic with a sales pitch of "You have to work year round, you'll lose 40% of your summer working out in 90 degree heat, you'll get banged up, you'll stay after school until 6 or 7 every day, you'll get up on Saturday at 8am to lift weights all so you can get the crap kicked out of you Friday night", sign me up! The kids who love football will still be there, what we're losing is the on the fence kids. It's sad but until high school associations develop the NFL model (last goes first, winning attaches a handicap, we're going to even the playing field) the numbers will continue to drop.
This is spot on.  Football is in serious trouble.  Basketball is on the rise with popularity with kids.  Spring and summer football has killed HS football in Arkansas.

AHS06

Quote from: PapaHog on April 25, 2018, 12:03:57 pm
I could be wrong, but I think that number I heard was like 8 kids started for other schools that live in the district. They are going somewhere. If there's still talent, then someone needs to find a way to get them on the field. Or get another Sosa Agim to move in.
Hope isn't a town where you'll find 8 kids playing at other schools.  You might have 1-2 were the family actually relocates.  The talent is there but the losing mentality has ruined Hope football.  The new coach would have to hit the hallways.

AHS06

Quote from: scrapdig on April 25, 2018, 02:23:28 pm
This is spot on.  Football is in serious trouble.  Basketball is on the rise with popularity with kids.  Spring and summer football has killed HS football in Arkansas.
I do find some truth in this but it is more credited to the kids feeling entitled. 

game on

Football is a tough sport to win in.  Those that do have to work hard and devote the time and effort.  Society doesn't do a great job of teaching that in a lot of places.  You know the everybody needs to get a trophy mentality.  Oh, I have to get a hair cut tomorrow and can't come to practice.

Overdahill

April 25, 2018, 06:09:08 pm #23 Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:13:21 pm by Overdahill
I think the Hope situation is another salvo in what's being called the death of football. Full disclosure, I love football, am a die hard football fan. I'm glued to it Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It breaks my heart. The fact is that the number of kids playing high school football has dropped by 12% nationwide over the past 5 years, 17% in Arkansas. Both KTHV and KAIT did segments on it last year. They listed the contributing factors as CTE, competition for the kids interest, financial issues and lack of parity. I think the latter is the main cause of Hope's woes. Look at Arkansas, you have the same 4 or 5 teams at the top every year and the rest are the Washington Generals. It's a classic case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting life support.
It's sad but until high school associations develop the NFL model (last goes first, winning attaches a handicap, we're going to even the playing field) the numbers will continue to drop.

Sometimes I am glad to be old and to have played when we didn't know any better  :)

PapaHog

How many kids are playing at Spring Hill and Lafayette County that are from Hope. I'm willing to bet those numbers are higher than 1 or 2.

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on April 25, 2018, 06:09:08 pm
I think the Hope situation is another salvo in what's being called the death of football. Full disclosure, I love football, am a die hard football fan. I'm glued to it Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It breaks my heart. The fact is that the number of kids playing high school football has dropped by 12% nationwide over the past 5 years, 17% in Arkansas. Both KTHV and KAIT did segments on it last year. They listed the contributing factors as CTE, competition for the kids interest, financial issues and lack of parity. I think the latter is the main cause of Hope's woes. Look at Arkansas, you have the same 4 or 5 teams at the top every year and the rest are the Washington Generals. It's a classic case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting life support.
It's sad but until high school associations develop the NFL model (last goes first, winning attaches a handicap, we're going to even the playing field) the numbers will continue to drop.

Sometimes I am glad to be old and to have played when we didn't know any better  :)
[/b][/b]

Overdahill nailed it! Exactly! Back when we played, football was the undisputed king. If you don't believe me ask the voices in my head. CTE my butt, I could post pictures showing how fun it was back in the day, if I could only remember where and when I played.

Overdahill

Quote from: JessieP on April 25, 2018, 07:42:14 pm
[/b][/b]

Overdahill nailed it! Exactly! Back when we played, football was the undisputed king. If you don't believe me ask the voices in my head. CTE my butt, I could post pictures showing how fun it was back in the day, if I could only remember where and when I played.

that's why they call him Jesse the Body and not Jesse the Brain :D

AHS06

Quote from: PapaHog on April 25, 2018, 07:32:04 pm
How many kids are playing at Spring Hill and Lafayette County that are from Hope. I'm willing to bet those numbers are higher than 1 or 2.
That would mean these kids are leaving a 5A losing program to only commute and join 2A losing programs.  Football is tough here in Southwest Arkansas.  I have seen Hope play in years past and there is still a lot of talent at that school.  With a few wins the kids roaming the halls will be back on the field.   

Hoghead2

April 26, 2018, 12:10:44 pm #28 Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:13:38 pm by Hoghead2
Quote from: PapaHog on April 25, 2018, 07:32:04 pm
I'll make that bet. Be specific and name me 2 players on the Lafayette County Cougar football team from Hope ???. No one from Hope is driving 28 miles to Stamps to play 2A Football. I'll give you the push on Sprig Hill though. Spring Hill is 6 miles from HHS and some Hope kids have always went there.
As for Hope being the worst job in the State, that's not true. That's your personal opinion and your kick at a 1st time ever 0-21 streak at Hope. The right coach and player turnout and things will change. I have faith it will return.

footballfan-tastic

Anybody on staff that might get moved up?

scrapdig

Quote from: Hoghead2 on April 26, 2018, 12:10:44 pm
I'll make that bet. Be specific and name me 2 players on the Lafayette County Cougar football team from Hope ???. No one from Hope is driving 28 miles to Stamps to play 2A Football. I'll give you the push on Sprig Hill though. Spring Hill is 6 miles from HHS and some Hope kids have always went there.
As for Hope being the worst job in the State, that's not true. That's your personal opinion and your kick at a 1st time ever 0-21 streak at Hope. The right coach and player turnout and things will change. I have faith it will return.
They should move up the guy that has been coaching pee wee all these years up.  He seems to get kids out and does a good job. 

Hoghead2

Quote from: scrapdig on April 26, 2018, 12:28:39 pm
They should move up the guy that has been coaching pee wee all these years up.  He seems to get kids out and does a good job.

I'm sure he'll  get a interview along with you.

OleFBLover

What about Jonathon Turner or Coach Brown at Nashville. They are both ex-Bobcats??

OrangeCrush.

Quote from: OleFBLover on April 26, 2018, 09:11:39 pm
What about Jonathon Turner or Coach Brown at Nashville. They are both ex-Bobcats??
Wonder if Brown would get back in coaching for this job. Don't know if it would be worth it with Hope's condition.

AHS06

Quote from: OleFBLover on April 26, 2018, 09:11:39 pm
Coach Turner was my coach his last year with Arkansas High School.  He would be great a candidate for this job and during that time he was very excited about returning to Hope.   

scrapdig

Quote from: Hoghead2 on April 26, 2018, 05:25:53 pm
I'm sure he'll  get a interview along with you.
Funny thing is he would do a better job than anybody you are gonna bring in. 

Hoghead2

Quote from: scrapdig on April 27, 2018, 10:31:15 am
Funny thing is he would do a better job than anybody you are gonna bring in.

I can't bring in anyone. So your point is moot. Nice try.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: scrapdig on April 25, 2018, 02:23:28 pm

I think there's a lot of truth in the last sentence.  Football coaches have placed a larger emphasis on spring and summer football (and they have to in order to be competitive in the fall anymore), and I think some kids just get burned out.  It's really going this way with all of the 3 major sports - kids are almost being forced to specialize in a particular sport because they all go pretty much year-round now.

Iknewthemwhen

Problem is Football is the most physically demanding sport of the 3 major, FB, BA, BB.  So kids take an easier route.  Football just wears them out, but if you don't train year round its becoming harder to compete

dougmeans

Committee has picked 2 to interview.

Eagle boss

dougmeans

Sorry 3 names. Paschal, King, and Turner.

AirWarren

Eagle boss

Where are Paschal and King from?

dougmeans

King is at foreman and paschal is maybe at Wynne

titan33

Quote from: AirWarren on May 03, 2018, 05:56:19 pm
VP?

Heard from a reliable source that Paschal got a phone call from the Supt, they are old friends but he's definitely not interested in this job

AirWarren

Quote from: titan33 on May 03, 2018, 07:37:19 pm
Heard from a reliable source that Paschal got a phone call from the Supt, they are old friends but he's definitely not interested in this job

I wouldn't imagine.

Eagle boss

Where is Turner now? 

dougmeans

Turner is a Coordinator at Ashdown

youhavenoidea

OC at Ashdown I believe

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas