• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2A All State Selections Boys & Girls

Started by blue_powerade, March 13, 2018, 10:39:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_powerade

Congrats to all the players who were selected for this honor, great showcase of talent this year.. Best players from 2A based off this season?

Shack106

The All State lists proves that Earle has the best coaches, by far. Both teams had only 1 player named All State. The rest of 2A's coaches must really suck if they can't beat Earle with superior talent.

FromTheBench

Quote from: Shack106 on March 14, 2018, 07:04:55 am
The All State lists proves that Earle has the best coaches, by far. Both teams had only 1 player named All State. The rest of 2A's coaches must really suck if they can't beat Earle with superior talent.

That's not how it works...like at all.

FromTheBench

But yes, congrats to all those players who received this honor. 2A basketball was fun and competitive this year!

Shack106

Quote from: FromTheBench on March 14, 2018, 08:21:16 am
That's not how it works...like at all.
How what works? All State is allegedly rewarded to the best players in each classification. You have 2 or more, Quitman girls(2) Marked Tree boys(3), All State players. Yet you lose to a team with 1(Earle). How else do you explain losing to supposedly inferior talent. Unless of course you think this All State list doesn't have the best players on it. Please explain to me how my facts are wrong.

Shack106

Earle either has the best coaches or the best players. Something has to explain their championships. If they have the best players. Why isn't that represented on the All State list?

Ice Water

Each 2A conference gets 3 selections voted on by that conference's coaches around the time of the district tournament.

Shack106

Thanks for the clarification. That proves my point that the All State lists isn't necessarily representative of the best players in each class. Taking nothing from the kids that made All State. I'm sure they worked hard and deserve the recognition. But so do the kids on the best teams who've worked just as hard if not harder and are just as good if not better.

LeftyWorld

Each coach also has to nominate their players and since earle had been beaten a few times by marked tree at that point and marked tree was the one seed it makes since they got two in and earle one. Maybe if all earles players would have been eligible the whole season it would have been a different story though.  ??? Congratulations to the players who made all state! Well earned and deserved!!!

Dogg

Earle was not in the same conference as the MT in basketball, we didn't play in the same district tournament.

Dogg

March 14, 2018, 10:57:03 am #10 Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:22:37 am by Dogg
Quote from: LeftyWorld on March 14, 2018, 10:36:08 am
Each coach also has to nominate their players and since earle had been beaten a few times by marked tree at that point and marked tree was the one seed it makes since they got two in and earle one. Maybe if all earles players would have been eligible the whole season it would have been a different story though.  ??? Congratulations to the players who made all state! Well earned and deserved!!!
Earle didn't have any players ineligible during the season. Earle had only 1 senior that was an impact player. The rest of the impact players were juniors and sophomores. Earle got the one thing everybody wanted but only one team could take home. 🏆🏆

Shack106

You mad bro? Earle proved they had the best players. No votes or politics needed. Kiss the rings!

Ctucker

Quote from: Shack106 on March 14, 2018, 10:20:16 am
Thanks for the clarification. That proves my point that the All State lists isn't necessarily representative of the best players in each class. Taking nothing from the kids that made All State. I'm sure they worked hard and deserve the recognition. But so do the kids on the best teams who've worked just as hard if not harder and are just as good if not better.
Amen

Ctucker

Quote from: LeftyWorld on March 14, 2018, 10:36:08 am
[/quote Tell us which players from Earle was ineligible! And i don't know how they come up with all state but Earle has 3 for sure that should be on it

Dogg

Ctucker

Quote from: Dogg on March 14, 2018, 11:23:46 am
If MT had 3, Earle should have had 3
For sure but it is politics I'm sure Earle would rather have ring! But it is not right

bdubyab60

Maybe those players being out for most of the season had something to do with it. Plus you don't necessarily have to have all the best players to be the best team. It helps though.

Ice Water

Maybe some of this confusion would be reduced if the players were sorted by conference. Again, each league gets exactly 3 selections.

2A-2
Perry, Marked Tree
Malone, Marked Tree
Agee, Marmaduke

2A-3
Doolittle, Earle
Cartwright, Clarendon
Johnson, Clarendon

2A-4W
Eck, Lavaca
Dockery, Lavaca
Cross, Eureka Springs

2A-4E
Davis, Jacksonville Lighthouse
Heffentrager, Quitman
Finley, White County Central

2A-7W
Kirkham, Blevins
Brown, Cutter Morning Star
Haywood, Mountain Pine

2A-7E
Berry, Bearden
Garrett-Evans, Parkers Chapel
Goodwin, Parkers Chapel

Now, when the All-State Tournament team is released, Earle will get 3, Marked Tree will get 2, and every other team in the tournament will get 1. But that's a completely different selection of players and is entirely unrelated to this list.

Shack106

March 14, 2018, 12:38:22 pm #18 Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:43:09 pm by Shack106
My argument was never that the players on Earle's roster are the best players in the state. My point is, if Marked Tree has 3 of the best players in 2a but Earle won the title. Either Earle out coached Marked Tree or Earle is under represented in the All State ballots. IMO it's a little of both

dentist15

All-State (rather than All-State Tournament) is pretty political, and also tends to favor graduating seniors....this would make sense in Earle's case, with only one senior being an impact player, and the rest being underclassmen.

LeftyWorld

Quote from: Dogg on March 14, 2018, 10:57:03 am
Earle didn't have any players ineligible during the season. Earle had only 1 senior that was an impact player. The rest of the impact players were juniors and sophomores. Earle got the one thing everybody wanted but only one team could take home. 🏆🏆

So there were no players who played in the finals that did not play against marked tree the first two times they played them? Have heard several using that exact reasoning as to what the difference in the game was.

MT Legend

Congratulations to all the players male and female that put in the work and went hard for your towns.you are all champions in my book Keep grinding and working and the rest will follow.

Bildo

Quote from: dentist15 on March 14, 2018, 01:55:31 pm
All-State (rather than All-State Tournament) is pretty political, and also tends to favor graduating seniors....this would make sense in Earle's case, with only one senior being an impact player, and the rest being underclassmen.
So Kylie Warren from Carlisle makes all state 4 years in a row (9th thru 12th). So preferential treatment to seniors is ... cough... cough .. bullish!$.

Dogg

Quote from: LeftyWorld on March 14, 2018, 03:10:10 pm
So there were no players who played in the finals that did not play against marked tree the first two times they played them? Have heard several using that exact reasoning as to what the difference in the game was.
First game the soph Milow was suspended by the coach and did not return until the district tournament. 4 others role players were still playing football. The second game Smith didn't play because of a broken wrist.

LeftyWorld

Quote from: Dogg on March 14, 2018, 06:23:21 pm
First game the soph Milow was suspended by the coach and did not return until the district tournament. 4 others role players were still playing football. The second game Smith didn't play because of a broken wrist.

Ah so it was a matter of never being full strength not just one certain player though. While sitting next to several fans in hot springs the whole time they complained about one kid and said he wasn't eligible first semester when they played them. Thanks for clearing that up.

MomaLion

Quote from: Ctucker on March 14, 2018, 11:49:32 am
For sure but it is politics I'm sure Earle would rather have ring! But it is not right
How is it politics? Clarendon got the other 2 from our conference.  If these votes were done around the time of district, it stands to reason that it was the preseason games that were used to decide on who should be selected. In my opinion the vote shouldn't be taken that early, but I don't get to make the rules.

MomaLion

Quote from: dentist15 on March 14, 2018, 01:55:31 pm
We have 2 and one is a Junior.

MomaLion

Quote from: Bildo on March 14, 2018, 05:36:35 pm
So Kylie Warren from Carlisle makes all state 4 years in a row (9th thru 12th). So preferential treatment to seniors is ... cough... cough .. bullish!$.
I agree.  We often have underclassmen selected.

Pit Bull

FromTheBench

Quote from: Shack106 on March 14, 2018, 09:36:39 am
Earle either has the best coaches or the best players. Something has to explain their championships. If they have the best players. Why isn't that represented on the All State list?

Earle's best player was represented. The other 2 from Clarendon were better than any other 2 from Earle, however, those top 2 from Clarendon and their other 3 starters were not better than Earle's top 5 and that is why Earle is ordering rings. I take nothing away from Earle boys or girls, but in my personal opinion since we're allowed to share those on here, MT boys had the better coach on their sideline and Quitman girls had the better coach on their sideline. Earle's coaches are good, but have SO much more talent to work with.

Pit Bull

March 15, 2018, 10:15:07 am #30 Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:34:47 am by Pit Bull
I disagree with the coaching comment because of the fact that Murray developed a new Big Man in half a season to fill the gap of missing Bohanan in the paint. On the other hand Marked Tree had no traces of a Big which ultimately led to their inability to contend when it mattered most. With the shooters that MT had with accurate deep three capabilities, clearly the little guy that played ineffective post would have been a more effective dribble drive point guard if developed meanwhile there was a kid with red hair that never touched the floor on the bench that was maybe 6'3, 220 pounds that at some point should have been trained in the paint and would have made MT a much better overall team! How dare you compare a coach that elected to live and die on three point shooting to a 7X Championship Coach that methodically over the course of a full season developed his team to turn on all cylinders perfectly peaking at the most important time? It's clear that most people don't know what real coaching is, it's all about player development before the Xs and Os.

FromTheBench

Quote from: Pit Bull on March 15, 2018, 10:15:07 am
I disagree with the coaching comment because of the fact that Murray developed a new Big Man in half a season to fill the gap of missing Bohanan in the paint. On the other hand Marked Tree had no traces of a Big which ultimately led to their inability to contend when it mattered most. With the shooters that MT had with accurate deep three capabilities, clearly the little guy that played ineffective post would have been a more effective dribble drive point guard if developed meanwhile there was a kid with red hair that never touched the floor on the bench that was maybe 6'3, 220 pounds that at some point should have been trained in the paint and would have made MT a much better overall team! How dare you compare a coach that elected to live and die on three point shooting to a 7X Championship Coach that methodically over the course of a full season developed his team to turn on all cylinders perfectly peaking at the most important time? It's clear that most people don't know what real coaching is, it's all about player development before the Xs and Os.

Respectful post, valid points.. I can live with it.

Pit Bull

I respect MT's coach and her fierce competitiveness but High School Basketball success is determined by a Teams ability to control the boards, create second and third shot opportunities while developing a big to hold down the middle of the floor during pressure defenses. If you can not do this, you will not become a Champion just shooting threes!

Ctucker

Quote from: MomaLion on March 14, 2018, 11:58:23 pm
How is it politics? Clarendon got the other 2 from our conference.  If these votes were done around the time of district, it stands to reason that it was the preseason games that were used to decide on who should be selected. In my opinion the vote shouldn't be taken that early, but I don't get to make the rules.
Wasnt taking nothing away from Clarendon but it should not be just 3 from a district needs to be best players in state but since you mentioned it I would take the 6 5 shooter from Earle over anybody from Clarendon except Cartwright! But I think this district deserved more! And other districts probably didn't deserve 3 that is how it's not fair better players was left off team!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Everyone has made some very good points. Earle by far has the most and deepest talent. I think M.T. And Earles have the best 2 coaches in 2A hands down. And Cartwright is the best player in 2A. He just didn't have the supporting cast or the coach that Earle and M.T. have. If Clarendons coach was on par with the other 2 mentioned, they would have pounded the ball inside as no one had anyone to stop Cartwright on the block or keep him off the glass.

Pit Bull

If Murray had that kid he would have definitely pounded the paint.

NEark tigers

If Murray had Cartwright, I fully gurantee he will be a WORLD CHAMPION!....

Dogg

Quote from: FromTheBench on March 15, 2018, 08:14:29 am
Earle's best player was represented. The other 2 from Clarendon were better than any other 2 from Earle, however, those top 2 from Clarendon and their other 3 starters were not better than Earle's top 5 and that is why Earle is ordering rings. I take nothing away from Earle boys or girls, but in my personal opinion since we're allowed to share those on here, MT boys had the better coach on their sideline and Quitman girls had the better coach on their sideline. Earle's coaches are good, but have SO much more talent to work with.
Earle lost its best player when Bohannon enrolled at Baylor early. You loose 20 points and 10 rebounds a game with Bohannon leaving. Coaching is what made the difference with Earle.

MomaLion

Quote from: Pit Bull on March 15, 2018, 10:15:07 am
Well said.

MomaLion

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 15, 2018, 11:44:51 am
Everyone has made some very good points. Earle by far has the most and deepest talent. I think M.T. And Earles have the best 2 coaches in 2A hands down. And Cartwright is the best player in 2A. He just didn't have the supporting cast or the coach that Earle and M.T. have. If Clarendons coach was on par with the other 2 mentioned, they would have pounded the ball inside as no one had anyone to stop Cartwright on the block or keep him off the glass.
Who do you think developed Malik? Coach Hudson.  He's had some AAU ball the last couple years but day in and day out it's been Coach Hudson.  He told us years ago that Malik was going to be special.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: MomaLion on March 16, 2018, 05:31:09 am
Who do you think developed Malik? Coach Hudson.  He's had some AAU ball the last couple years but day in and day out it's been Coach Hudson.  He told us years ago that Malik was going to be special.

I know his AAU coach, I know what kind of work he makes him do. My comment about the Clarendon coach isn't his development, but more along the line of he didn't make the other players feed him the ball on the block. Which is the 100% truth.

Ctucker

That's true Pick but to play at next level for Sure d-1 he needs  to play outside more and get a good gaurd game but in 2-a your right needs to be dominated on block!But for his future needs to be focusing on guard play he is only 6-5 unless he grows!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Ctucker on March 16, 2018, 12:20:02 pm
That's true Pick but to play at next level for Sure d-1 he needs  to play outside more and get a good gaurd game but in 2-a your right needs to be dominated on block!But for his future needs to be focusing on guard play he is only 6-5 unless he grows!

It's not the high school coaches job to get him ready for college, his job is to win games. Most likely would be a 3-4 in college. Odds are he grows another 2 or 3" by then and will need to play the 5 too.

Ctucker

Even if he grows a couple of inches still need to get more guard skills he is not built like Corless and Barkley hard to play inside slim at 6-5 to 6-8

Ctucker

Also if coach really cares about kid with talent he will help him all he can high school coaches in Arkansas rarely lose there job for losing games!

Ctucker

He is a d-1 talent he needs to develop more of a outside game!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Ctucker on March 16, 2018, 09:51:21 pm
Even if he grows a couple of inches still need to get more guard skills he is not built like Corless and Barkley hard to play inside slim at 6-5 to 6-8

You don't have to be thick to play the paint in college. My nephew is 6'7 220 and played the 2,3,4, AND 5 in D1 college.

Ctucker

You're right if you want to play at small D-1 that ain't even as good as some NAIA schools

Pick_DA_EAGLES

March 17, 2018, 07:56:40 am #48 Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:58:09 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: Ctucker on March 17, 2018, 04:46:01 am
You're right if you want to play at small D-1 that ain't even as good as some NAIA schools

Yea like the team that busted Virginas bubble last night. Good post moves do not require you to be big. 6'7 with a 37" vertical gets you fairly close to the rim I think. Being versatile makes you more valuable.

Bildo

March 17, 2018, 08:38:12 am #49 Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:39:44 am by Bildo
Muggsy Bogues was 5'3", Spud Webb was 5'6" and Yao Ming was 7'7".... all of which played in the NBA. Ming was a flop... the other two succeeded because they had the want to and talent (size didn't play a factor) NAIA to D1 "talent" does not matter when it comes to competing at the next level... if you're good enough to play, my hats off to you. People get so hung up on small D1 vs "name brand" powerhouse D1 schools. Ever think these kids just wanna get rewarded for their hard work and get their education payed for and do what they love for a few more years? It's like you're talking bad about a kid because he/she didn't play big time D1 vs a school perceived to be the same talent wise as NAIA. Is a 2A State title any less than a 7A title?! No... it's a state title. Go put in the work that these kids put in. I bet any kid that goes to college (and gets it paid for) is very satisfied and proud. They should be

Congrats to your nephew Pick

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas