• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Basketball 2017-2018

Started by BannerMountainMan, September 27, 2017, 11:35:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cuckoobird

Time to move all games to verizon arena since walton can't get more than 10000 fans there

WPWells

cuckoobird

Lumberjackfan1978

bdubyab60

Hopefully for conference play we can. Tenner is a big match up

beach bum

It got a little chippy and was sloppy to start, but Macon & Barford sparked the 2nd half to stretch it to a 95-68 win tonight. Can't wait for Saturday against Tennessee. We win there and we are in every top 25 poll..... And btw Cuckoobird, Saturday against Tennessee is sold out. As long as we stay near the top 25 all weekend home games the rest of the way will be all sell outs. That is vital to have the crowd in it for conference play and OK State. If we don't go 8-1 or 9-0 at home we won't get anywhere near the top 3 in the SEC like last year. If I remember right last year we went 6-3 both at home and the road in conference which is strange for a Hog team. The SEC is very good this year and getting more than 5 road wins is going to be tough for any of the top dogs in the SEC.

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on December 27, 2017, 09:21:09 pm
It got a little chippy and was sloppy to start, but Macon & Barford sparked the 2nd half to stretch it to a 95-68 win tonight. Can't wait for Saturday against Tennessee. We win there and we are in every top 25 poll..... And btw Cuckoobird, Saturday against Tennessee is sold out. As long as we stay near the top 25 all weekend home games the rest of the way will be all sell outs. That is vital to have the crowd in it for conference play and OK State. If we don't go 8-1 or 9-0 at home we won't get anywhere near the top 3 in the SEC like last year. If I remember right last year we went 6-3 both at home and the road in conference which is strange for a Hog team. The SEC is very good this year and getting more than 5 road wins is going to be tough for any of the top dogs in the SEC.
I totally agree. I'm going to the OK State game while anticipating payback for last year's game.

bdubyab60

It's step up time now. Don't need a sluggish start. TN is better than folks thought they were gonna be.

In the SEC some teams are better than most thought they would be. Pretty balanced out this year. A lot of 50/50 games.

My worry is if Gafford gets in foul trouble. There's a big difference in this team when he isn't in the game. Guard play is pretty steady though which is a huge advantage

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 28, 2017, 06:13:42 am
It's step up time now. Don't need a sluggish start. TN is better than folks thought they were gonna be.

In the SEC some teams are better than most thought they would be. Pretty balanced out this year. A lot of 50/50 games.

My worry is if Gafford gets in foul trouble. There's a big difference in this team when he isn't in the game. Guard play is pretty steady though which is a huge advantage

I agree definitely that we need Gafford to be able to log between 22 & 27 minutes in these SEC games to be at our peak and allow those guards complete freedom. And I see a lot of close games too. I just told someone usually it takes a 15-3 conference record or 14-4 at minimum to get the 1 seed for the SEC tournament. I think this year there may be so much parity since Florida does not seem to be as elite as I thought they would and a mortal looking Kentucky that 13-5 may be able to get you the 1 seed if you own the right tiebreaker over a team.

WPWells

I think this team is going to have the same advantage that Nolan's teams had - a lack of respect and a chip on their shoulders

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on December 28, 2017, 01:44:08 pm
I think this team is going to have the same advantage that Nolan's teams had - a lack of respect and a chip on their shoulders

Totally agree... And their fitness level and depth compared to other teams is finally starting to show in the 2nd half of games. I like seeing that.

bdubyab60

Looks like most of our supposed tougher matchups are at home and only one game. A&M is good. Get a split with them, win the home games and avoid the head scratchers like Houston and it will a solid year. Should be a really tough out in the tourney. Anything less than that would be disappointing especially if we stay healthy.

Convince Gafford to stay one more year that would cap a really good year. I know we graduate a lot of experience. But the kids coming in are supposed to be some ballers and we can sneak in there next year.

Don't think Gafford stays more than two years. That's as talented a big man as we have had in a long time. If he gets a consistent mid range game watch out.

cuckoobird

Nolans teams had plenty of respect. Were you even born when he was coaching?

bdubyab60

Good come from behind win today. I'm expecting a lot of these type games this year.

Bench has to pick it up though.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 30, 2017, 05:17:48 pm
Good come from behind win today. I'm expecting a lot of these type games this year.

Bench has to pick it up though.

What a game... Massive comeback with two semi difficult road games looming... I'd like to split on the road and take care of business in couple weeks with LSU and Mizzou at home to be sitting at 4-1 in SEC play two weeks from now after the Mizzou game. And we need some three's from CJ Jones in that second unit that is for sure.

bdubyab60

Yeah we need C.J. to get hot again.

LRRandy

Excitement is back on the hill for basketball. This team has the look of a team tha can win a lot of games and make a long post season run. Good for them.

friscokid

Hopefully the AP voters will realize what they were missing and vault the Hogs way up in the top 25. Maybe up as high as 18th.

bdubyab60

I myself don't want a big jump. Though probably deserving I'd like MA to be able to keep playing the disrespect card. Keep a chip on the shoulder so to say.

A lot of tough games ahead and need to keep that focus. Seasons can turn quick.

sportsguy80

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 30, 2017, 10:36:44 pm
I myself don't want a big jump. Though probably deserving I'd like MA to be able to keep playing the disrespect card. Keep a chip on the shoulder so to say.

A lot of tough games ahead and need to keep that focus. Seasons can turn quick.
Yes, let's keep putting in the work and strive towards a strong finish into tournament time. That's my wishful thinking.

bdubyab60

Somewhere around 20 would be nice. Houston loss looked bad. OU doing as good as they have though is a plus. Looks like this will continue to be an exciting seaso

beach bum

December 31, 2017, 02:23:58 pm #121 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:29:48 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 31, 2017, 09:08:12 am
Somewhere around 20 would be nice. Houston loss looked bad. OU doing as good as they have though is a plus. Looks like this will continue to be an exciting seaso

Luckily Houston is now 12-2 (2-0 AAC) and unless they let the wheels fall off will be in the tourney themselves.... I hope they keep winning too cause it won't go in the "bad loss" category they show when teams resumes come up. That score line was pretty bad however I do know.

bdubyab60

Yeah right now we haven't lost to a bad team. But when we lose man do we lose lol

Romeo

The hogs are ranked #22 in the AP Top 25.

AirWarren

WPWells

beach bum

We need a win in Starkville tonight.... I feel better about this than Auburn over the weekend. Miss State has a good record, but have played the easiest schedule in the conference so far. I am taking the Hogs by about 7 tonight.

WPWells

BrianfromCarlisle

At least everyone on the broadcast is obviously pro Mississippi State.   Not a great job of being unbiased.

BrianfromCarlisle

What a horribly officiated game.   Truly garbage.  Only reason this is close

WPWells

That's awful officiating. Just pathetic

WPWells

BrianfromCarlisle

January 02, 2018, 10:10:55 pm #132 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:14:21 pm by BrianfromCarlisle
Arkansas won this by 15.  Easily.  That team doesn't play defense.  They foul.  And got away with what was close to assault.  Free throw discrepancy was unbelievable. Usually even bad officiating doesn't cost a team the game.  This did. No question.  It was difference between losing and winning by 15+
At least we got to listen to a great Bulldog home broadcast   

bdubyab60

Well if we would move our feet on defense instead of reaching and hacking. When we got to the line we missed.

What the crap was Barford doing tonight, especially at the end of the game.

Trey Thompson cost us around 10 points while he was on the floor. He was pretty good last year but  this year he has played very poorly.

This is two games in a row that we really haven't played well. Just in spurts

beach bum

Macon was the only guard that came to play at all and Gafford dunks have to be a spark and not what we rely on to win a game... And my goodness rebound guys when a team is actually smaller than us too! Now they better play with some urgency against Auburn or they will be sitting at 1-2 making the two game home stretch must wins.

Trojanbird

However poorly the game was officiated, it still comes down to discipline and coaching, both of which were lacking in the last minute and a half! IMO.  Hogs still should have won the game.

Ctucker

We are a headed point guard away from being real good! Are guards are good but they pull some stupid stuff at bad times! We still do not have a floor general!

sportsguy80

Quote from: Ctucker on January 03, 2018, 04:30:33 pm
We are a headed point guard away from being real good! Are guards are good but they pull some stupid stuff at bad times! We still do not have a floor general!
Yup because Beard isn't the answer. Our best bet is when Barford, Macon, and Beard all take turns handling the rock. Coach rarely has all three out at the same time.

sportsguy80

Our number one focus should be on getting better instead of being ranked. This conference will have most teams beating each other due to even matchups. As a result, I don't know if that's good or bad for us but time will tell...

friscokid

Down goes A&M to LSU at home. The Aggies are 0-3 to start SEC play. Every win is going to be crucial.

beach bum

Quote from: friscokid on January 06, 2018, 03:21:38 pm
Down goes A&M to LSU at home. The Aggies are 0-3 to start SEC play. Every win is going to be crucial.

Their top player being suspended is killing them.... It may be too late now cause if they don't sort it out now they may miss the NCAA tournament all together. Arkansas better play desperate or they will be 1-2 and playing catch up the rest of the season to make sure to finish above .500 in conference play.

sportsguy80

I hate the way we start games. It's almost like we are playing like we've done something. None of our opponents are intimidated so we need to play with urgency from start to finish.

bdubyab60

We are about to get destroyed or at least looks that way. Uninspired basketball being played. Defensively horrible, slapping reaching and not moving their feet. This team plays much better when they defend

Barford has disappeared.

What looked so promising is now looking like it will turn in to a slump.

beach bum

This is horrible... We better win both home games next week or this is not going to be a very good season.

bdubyab60

Not playing as a team at all. 20 seconds til half and all we have is hand the ball to beard and let him try and take a shot over a guy that is 4" taller.

Poor screening, bad rebounding.

Just winning home games won't be enough.

This is 3 true road games this year and we have looked bad in all of them.

Ctucker

Who come up with this offense we're every body just stands there and watches guy with the ball.

sportsguy80

Coach A better make adjustments and fast. Like yesterday fast!

bdubyab60

Finally some life. Be aggressive at least

bdubyab60

For a senior lead team we sure do make a lot of freshman mistakes

sportsguy80

And our free throws...don't even wanna talk about it. We're definitely playing like a team full of freshmen and sophomores right now.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas