• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Girls 7A soccer semi-final???

Started by minerjack, May 17, 2014, 10:21:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

minerjack

Can anyone verify what happened during the Bryant-LR Central game today?  Apparently a girl was red carded and couldn't finish the game and won't be able to play in the state championship game either. Does anyone know what happened?

chaoslord

What I have gathered so far: Bryant won 2-0 and there was a straight red against Bryant, so yes, that player will be suspended for the final. As far as what happened, still trying to verify. Straight reds can be for Serious Foul Play, Violent Conduct, DOGSO, Language, or spitting at someone, so it would fit into one of those categories.

DuBoz

What I would like to know from someone who actually saw the game is:  They took 3 balls out of the net in the Mount game.   Why?   Had the whistle blown, then the balls were put in?   Was the flag already up?  Or did the calls come after the ball was in the net?

Just curious. 

soccerhawg

I was at the Mount vs Bentonville game. I was just there to watch a good game, I was not for either side. It was hard to tell what was actually going on in the goal box during any of these times. There was such fast confusion that it really depended on what you happened to catch.

My thought is that it had a lot more to do with the keeper, and her safety, while she had the ball, or at least hands on it, and the kicking that was going on. Unfortunately, there was never any real indication of the call.

I can understand why Mount was upset but Bentonville would have been justified in being just as upset with a lack of protection of the keeper in these circumstances. I'm just glad it wasn't my team involved.

Overall, I thought it was a good game. I think the Mount fans were a little over sensitive about the officiating, overall. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that NW Arkansas plays a more physical style of play that is not allowed in the central Arkansas play. There were good, and bad, calls on both sides as well as missed calls on both sides.

sevenof400

This statement:

Quote from: soccerhawg on May 18, 2014, 11:56:49 am
... I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that NW Arkansas plays a more physical style of play that is not allowed in the central Arkansas play. ..

definitely touches on an area in need of improvement in Arkansas high school soccer.  We've discussed and debated this around here before so I don't want to reopen that can of worms in this thread, but keep this point in mind.

As you see a shift from the older referees (who are less likely to have played the game as a youth) toward younger ones (who are more likely to be former or current players), you will likely see an increase in the amount of 'play' allowed.  Also, as our referee pool has become increasingly diverse, this becomes another factor in what play is (or is not) allowed. 

In the long term, increasing the number of former players and the diversity in the referee ranks throughout the state can help move the acceptable level of play toward similar levels throughout the state.  This is a goal that can only help the growth of the game. 

Arbitro

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 18, 2014, 01:54:58 pm
This statement:

Quote from: soccerhawg on May 18, 2014, 11:56:49 am
... I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that NW Arkansas plays a more physical style of play that is not allowed in the central Arkansas play. ..

definitely touches on an area in need of improvement in Arkansas high school soccer.  We've discussed and debated this around here before so I don't want to reopen that can of worms in this thread, but keep this point in mind.

As you see a shift from the older referees (who are less likely to have played the game as a youth) toward younger ones (who are more likely to be former or current players), you will likely see an increase in the amount of 'play' allowed.  Also, as our referee pool has become increasingly diverse, this becomes another factor in what play is (or is not) allowed. 

In the long term, increasing the number of former players and the diversity in the referee ranks throughout the state can help move the acceptable level of play toward similar levels throughout the state.  This is a goal that can only help the growth of the game.
Unfortunately it is not just a referee issue, it is a player, coach, and parent issue as well.  It may be true that if all referees held the exact same standard of what contact is legal and what is a foul, eventually the players would adjust to that standard.  Trust me when I say that it would be a very long and painful process.  The reality is that the player pool in high school soccer stretches from kids who have played top notch club soccer at the regional level down to kids who were encouraged to play for the first time by their friends to fill out the team.  It is nearly impossible to balance the expectations of the players and adults over that broad range of skill and experience.

As an example, a couple of weeks ago I centered a 4A boys match in which one team had qualified for the state tournament and the other had just been eliminated from contention.  Decent skill on both teams, but as far as I could tell no players with any organized soccer experience above the rec level (if that).  I started the game with the approach of allowing a reasonable amount of physical play, because I think that is the way the game should be played.  The players got upset with the contact.  The coaches got more and more vocal and upset.  Fair challenges were answered with unfair retaliation.  The game was spiraling downward in a hurry.  Finally I realized that calling the game as if the players had anything close to a club-level knowledge of the game was going to end up in disaster.  So I gave up, swallowed my pride, and tightened the screws down about as tight as I ever have in a high school game.  I called anything that remotely resembled a foul.  The players and coaches loved it.  For this day and in this game, this is what the participants wanted.  The game ended up being very close, was decided in the last couple of minutes, and both teams went away happy.  If I had called a Conway-Catholic or Springdale-Bentonville game that tight I would have finished the game 8 v 8 and been chased out of town. 

In my opinion, the goal of "one size fits all" refereeing is admirable but not realistic in Arkansas high school soccer.  I absolutely believe that referees can improve their consistency both within their own games and in comparison with other referees.  But thinking that all players, coaches, and parents will recognize and appreciate the same standard of fair play is a pipe dream.  For now anyway.

soccerhawg

First, I figured this had been debated before so I wasn't trying to open that up for debate again, I just thought it was pertinent to that game and my thoughts.

With that said, I don't think this is a new phenomenon and I wish it could be corrected a little quicker. A few years ago I was speaking with the parents of a U of A soccer player, that was from Arkansas, and they commented that when their daughter, and her teams, would go out of state to play, they, the players, we're completely surprised and overwhelmed with the level of "play".  It was for this reason, they believed, that Arkansas does not produce a lot of top level players.

minerjack

Well, generally, Arkansas is behind in sports other than football, baseball, and basketball. But, soccer, wrestling, and maybe even golf on the high school level are all new on the high school level.

I don't know of any school that has a lacrosse team. I know schools over in Memphis, especially the private schools, have a lacrosse team. But, other than that it seems we tend to stick to the main three sports.

chaoslord

Talked to the referee that was on Bryant/Central. Red card was because that player kicked another person in the face, think they might have been on the ground when it happened. Pretty easy decision from the sounds of it. The playoff assignor/AAA soccer guy was there and thought it was fine.

hogbert

Quote from: chaoslord on May 18, 2014, 05:06:29 pm
Talked to the referee that was on Bryant/Central. Red card was because that player kicked another person in the face, think they might have been on the ground when it happened. Pretty easy decision from the sounds of it. The playoff assignor/AAA soccer guy was there and thought it was fine.

from a bryant player? say it isn't so...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas