• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congratulations 5A Boys State Champions DeQueen Leopards! Defeat Hot Springs Lakeside 4-1

Started by sevenof400, May 17, 2014, 09:48:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

While DeQueen was easily seen by many as a strong candidate to make it to the championship game, Hot Springs Lakeside has to be considered a surprise.  Two teams from the south (with a third, Hot Springs, another semi finalist) certainly makes a statement the quality of soccer in the south was better than might have been expected at the start of the season. 

Both DeQueen and Lakeside have some history of success in the postseason so from that perspective, success from these two programs is not unexpected. 

Thoughts? Observations? Opinions? 

The Coach

Dequeen is just so strong on the attack. They are not great on defense or in goal but they score so much and so fast that it doesn't really matter. Just coming at you in waves!! However, Coach Moses will have a week to prepare so maybe he can get a plan together to help his team hang in and keep it close.

Lionheart88

DeQueen wasn't really challenged all conference season or playoffs.  An argument for promotion/relegation if I've ever seen one.  They'll win the title by multiple goals.

chaoslord

I know I have been pretty wrong with a lot of my predictions recently but after seeing DeQueen absolutely demolish Harrison today, I don't know how Lakeside could stand a chance. Has a championship game ever been a mercy rule? Because that legitimately might happen. Didn't they already mercy rule Lakeside once this season?

Go Postal

Watching these two teams play in the semifinal games:

DeQueen looked as very good of a team as they were last year.  Very talented and good control of the ball.
This is the first time that I have got to see HS Lakeside this year.  I was very amazed at the talent and teamwork that this team showed.

Some interesting tidbits about these two teams...

This is the first time that the South conference has had two boys teams in the Championship game.  Congratulations on that.

DeQueen has 4 State Championships while in the 4A and are looking for their first in the 5A.

HS Lakeside has 3 State Runner-ups in the 5A and are looking for their first Championship win.

Though DeQueen has won over HS Lakeside in conference this year.  That point is now moot.  It just means that both teams know each others strengths and weaknesses.  This Final game is for "All The Marbles", not just for 5A Champs and Runner-up, but for South conference bragging rights against each other.  Reminds me a lot of the 2005 – Harrison (Runner-up Siloam Springs) West Championship game and the rivalry we had.

Congratulation to both South teams on making it this far and Good Luck in the Finals!

Go Postal

I saw some yellow cards issued in the semifinal boys/girls games for verbal.  Do those carry into the final game?  I believe so, those advancing players, though you might get frustrated, you need to keep your mouths shut and play on.  You don't need a red because of this in the finals.  A red means that your team has to push on and play with ten players.  I hate see anyone getting a yellow or red card for verbal, this game or past game.  No need in that.  If any teams get a yellow or red for a miss judged physical play, then that is different.  I don't condone an intentional payback, but I do like physical play.  Just make sure that you touch the ball first.  Then that is Officials discretion.  I DO NOT like dives in American soccer, leave that up to those other countries for their strategy.  We are Americans and Arkansans, we play with our talent.

That said,

I saw that De Queen had about 35 players, though I didn't count Lakeside's bench, they had a lot of players.  Substitution could be a factor on clock management, plus the talent of those subs.
De Queen has a lot of talent, but they can't function as good when you're in their face.  Something that Harrison forgot about this year.
Lakeside is talented.  Wanted to get to the Championship game instead of Hot Springs.  Did that.  But they have a couple of weak spots.

Can De Queen go undefeated this year and claim their 5th trophy, the first in the 5A?
Can HS Lakeside get their first 5A Champ trophy to go along with their 3 5A State Runner-up trophies?
We will see...

Both teams, play hard, play great, May the Best Team Win!  Good Luck!

The Coach

Go Postal

Quote from: The Coach on May 18, 2014, 05:55:43 pm
Yellow cards don't carry over
Thank you, Coach for clarifying that.  Still red cards for verbal is not needed for the finals.  Let your talent show instead.

The Coach

Quote from: Go Postal on May 18, 2014, 06:03:41 pm
Quote from: The Coach on May 18, 2014, 05:55:43 pm
Yellow cards don't carry over
Thank you, Coach for clarifying that.  Still red cards for verbal is not needed for the finals.  Let your talent show instead.

You are absolutely right about that.

GenesisGuzman16

I have played both teams this past season. DeQueen at the beginning of our Spring season and Lakeside at the end of our Fall season. I strongly believe that DeQueen will take the prize. Lakeside's forward, Evan Munro, is fast and very tactical but I don't think he'll see much of the ball because of DeQueen's fast paced type of play. Also, DeQueen has enough depth in their team that they can sub off 8-9 people off of their varsity team and be equally talented with their subs. Very impressed by them. Although I won't put Lakeside in the dark because they too are a strong squad. Game won't be totally out of Lakeside's reach but it won't be a blowout either for DeQueen. I predict 3-0 in favor of DeQueen.

VHSCoach2

Final: De Queen 4 (41', 49', 52', 68'), Lakeside 1 (23')

Go Postal

Congratulations to De Queen on your perfect season and overall 5 State Championships!

InYoGrill

Lionheart88

Credit to Lakeside for their halftime lead, I think that may be just about the first time DeQueen's trailed in a 5A game all year.  In the end though, numbers told.  Congrats to the Leopards, one of the best teams in any classification this year.  Kinda makes you wish there was a Tournament of Champs for soccer, so we could see how they stack up against the 6A and 7A champs.

The Coach

I know Dequeen lost to Russellville in pk's in a tournament early in the season. So it would be very interesting to see how they'd match up. They have the depth to play up which is usually what separates teams from lower classifications. Especially when the play doesn't drop off when they sub.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas