• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1A-2 District Tournament at Izard County

Started by Mr. Basketball, February 10, 2019, 08:53:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodrow1

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 19, 2019, 09:45:23 am
Ok, ok, you have convinced me....these superintendants from the 16 southern Class A schools (out of a total of 66) should be more fiscally responsible by saving the cost of sending teams to the state tournament since there is zero chance of success.    No teams from Region 4 have any chance at all of even winning one state tournament game, much less of a chance of beating a team from Region 2.   South Arkansas and Region 4 is highly, highly overrated.    So lets just leave it at this and see if the  southern superintendants send their teams and if they do, whether or not any Region 4 team can play any northern team within 20.     You got me, I give.

I don't recall anyone saying they couldn't play with ANY northern team. We just said they couldn't play with ICC.

Flobbito

I've seen ICC play two years in a row, and can promise you they are the real deal, and probably won't peak until next year.  However, we all know that upsets can and do often happen in sports, if anyone other than ICC wins boys 1A state I think most would agree that it would be an upset.  What are some comparable upsets you may recall in sports.  I'm going with Jimmy V and NC State's championship run.

D6Bound

Quote from: Flobbito on February 19, 2019, 10:32:57 am
I've seen ICC play two years in a row, and can promise you they are the real deal, and probably won't peak until next year.  However, we all know that upsets can and do often happen in sports, if anyone other than ICC wins boys 1A state I think most would agree that it would be an upset.  What are some comparable upsets you may recall in sports.  I'm going with Jimmy V and NC State's championship run.
It definitely would be the greatest upset in my lifetime. And no doubt coaches are going to use that underdog card as motivation for their players to play above their normal levels against ICC.

yesteryearman

Quote from: D6Bound on February 19, 2019, 10:36:12 am
It definitely would be the greatest upset in my lifetime. And no doubt coaches are going to use that underdog card as motivation for their players to play above their normal levels against ICC.

Monumental upsets or underdog card notwithstanding, south Arkansas expectations are zero.   Any win will be a  big surprise.

D6Bound

February 19, 2019, 12:37:01 pm #54 Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:51:42 pm by D6Bound
Quote from: yesteryearman on February 19, 2019, 12:31:03 pm
Monumental upsets or underdog card notwithstanding, south Arkansas expectations are zero.   Any win will be a  big surprise.
Win more in the post season and it won't be. I've even said Dermott is the second best team in 1A and they're 10 points or more better than the third team if they play like they're capable of. Just because people think that the team favored to win 1A happens to have two Division 1 players doesn't mean we're being biased against the south. Do you really expect them not to be the obvious favorites?

Edit: I do recall Kirby being the favorites last season from most people including myself.

PTplayer

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 19, 2019, 12:31:03 pm

I can see the semi finals being 3 teams from the south and icc very easily. Now can anyone of them beat ICC doubt it but upsets are a great thing to watch.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: D6Bound on February 19, 2019, 10:15:08 am
you're right I didn't clarify well enough, I was meaning in the past 15 years. 2008 Bradley was the best team I've ever seen not win a state championship, I still think they were the best team that year, but got outplayed one game. But that year 1A had some very very talented teams.
While my opinion is tainted and bias, same could be said for Kirby Boys 2011, 35-2 entering state with a 2 point loss to 5A Blytheville and 3 point loss to 3a Presscott (with out Coach Smith due to a slipped disk) then returned to Prescott a month later and beat them. Come in to state mercy ruling alpena, having a double OT win on Friday night against Guy Perkins. No telling what that does to a team. You literally give your all sitting at 37-2 and playin a Black Rock team that's on a Nights rest.

I personally think if the situation was flipped Kirby had possibly the best team from 2011. But cans and ifs only get you as far as a good story so I'll let that digress and hope everyone's ready for a great time of the year. State tournament time.

BlueBird4Life

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on February 21, 2019, 10:03:06 am
While my opinion is tainted and bias, same could be said for Kirby Boys 2011, 35-2 entering state with a 2 point loss to 5A Blytheville and 3 point loss to 3a Presscott (with out Coach Smith due to a slipped disk) then returned to Prescott a month later and beat them. Come in to state mercy ruling alpena, having a double OT win on Friday night against Guy Perkins. No telling what that does to a team. You literally give your all sitting at 37-2 and playin a Black Rock team that's on a Nights rest.

I personally think if the situation was flipped Kirby had possibly the best team from 2011. But cans and ifs only get you as far as a good story so I'll let that digress and hope everyone's ready for a great time of the year. State tournament time.

They were a very solid team that year.  I remember that Guy Perkins game. 

Real deal

That 2011 tournament was LOADED.  Kirby, Mammoth, Black Rock, Guy, Concord, Stephens, Bay

There is no doubt who is winning the 2019 title.

D6Bound

February 21, 2019, 12:55:28 pm #59 Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 01:08:59 pm by D6Bound
Honestly when it comes to discussions like this we're all gonna be a little biased lol. I'm probably wrong but was 2011 the year that Bay came into the state tournament as a 3 seed and ended up winning it? Because if that's the year I'm thinking Region 2 had about 4+ teams that could've won the title...and I think during that time it was three teams that went to state not four...I wanna say Bay almost didn't even get into the state tournament because Viola nearly beat them in the 3rd-4th place game in regionals. That was a wild tournament.

Real deal

Quote from: D6Bound on February 21, 2019, 12:55:28 pm
Honestly when it comes to discussions like this we're all gonna be a little biased lol. I'm probably wrong but was 2011 the year that Bay came into the state tournament as a 3 seed and ended up winning it? Because if that's the year I'm thinking Region 2 had about 4+ teams that could've won the title...and I think during that time it was three teams that went to state not four...I wanna say Bay almost didn't even get into the state tournament because Viola nearly beat them in the 3rd-4th place game in regionals. That was a wild tournament.

You are correct!!  Mammoth, Black Rock, Bay came out of region 2 in that order

urban legend2

No dog at all in this fight, but the woofing on here sets up for some interesting stuff that can transpire next week. I've actually seen Izard County this season and they're definitely a good team, no question. But like someone on here said, the pressure is on them, especially playing on their home floor, and the last thing they need is the feeling of being invincible. They may very well cakewalk through the field, but I'd be willing to bet that the Kirbys, the Dermotts, the Nevadas and the other upper tier 1A teams won't be in awe. When state starts next week, it's a one-game season no matter how good you are.

54Bearkatz2014

It's simple. ICC is one injury away or having two or three kids in foul trouble away from being beat. It won't happen by anybody but a good week coached team. But it is possible. There is always a way!

Frank Abagnale Jr.

I think that ICC can beat anyone in the state even without one of their two good players - they have plenty of talent outside of those two. However, with everyone healthy, and it being on their home court, I don't see anyone upsetting them. They're a very good team and this year, I just don't see anyone else who can hang with them. Lots of pressure and hype to live up to, but I just don't see anyone else who can run with them.

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: Frank Abagnale Jr. on February 22, 2019, 09:18:36 am
I think that ICC can beat anyone in the state even without one of their two good players - they have plenty of talent outside of those two. However, with everyone healthy, and it being on their home court, I don't see anyone upsetting them. They're a very good team and this year, I just don't see anyone else who can hang with them. Lots of pressure and hype to live up to, but I just don't see anyone else who can run with them.

You get cooper and faulkner in foul trouble and they're just another mediocre team. And you can't say it could never happen. Cause crazier things have happened

Frank Abagnale Jr.

Quote from: 54Bearkatz2014 on February 22, 2019, 09:44:37 am
You get cooper and faulkner in foul trouble and they're just another mediocre team. And you can't say it could never happen. Cause crazier things have happened

Get them both in foul trouble? Of course that would change their team. But it would have to be both - that goes with any high school team. Get both of their best players in foul trouble and the team changes dramatically. That's not a persuasive argument. I think that if one gets in foul trouble, they are still good enough to beat anyone.

yesteryearman

Quote from: Frank Abagnale Jr. on February 22, 2019, 09:53:09 am
Get them both in foul trouble? Of course that would change their team. But it would have to be both - that goes with any high school team. Get both of their best players in foul trouble and the team changes dramatically. That's not a persuasive argument. I think that if one gets in foul trouble, they are still good enough to beat anyone.

I think the odds of getting one much less two in foul trouble, in ICC's gym, in the state tournament are slim to none and you know what happened to slim.   

Sports Loser

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 22, 2019, 10:14:04 am
I think the odds of getting one much less two in foul trouble, in ICC's gym, in the state tournament are slim to none and you know what happened to slim.
Prob right on that lol

D6Bound

February 22, 2019, 11:06:12 am #68 Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:11:52 am by D6Bound
Well guys y'all just have it figured out don't ya? Who would've thought that all you have to do is foul out their two best players and hope that none of your players are in foul trouble and also hope you're not down 20 before they do foul out! Excellent game plan! I can't believe no other coach has thought about this!

Also if you think ICC's just a mediocre team without those two then you have no idea what you're talking about lol

Flobbito

February 22, 2019, 11:11:53 am #69 Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:13:56 am by Flobbito
Quote from: 54Bearkatz2014 on February 22, 2019, 09:44:37 am

ICC is a really good team without them, with them they are the prohibitive boys 1A state favorite, good luck with that game plan though.

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: D6Bound on February 22, 2019, 11:06:12 am
Well guys y'all just have it figured out don't ya? Who would've thought that all you have to do is foul out their two best players and hope that none of your players are in foul trouble and also hope you're not down 20 before they do foul out! Excellent game plan! I can't believe no other coach has thought about this!

Also if you think ICC's just a mediocre team without those two then you have no idea what you're talking about lol

By mediocre I mean they'd only win one or two games in state. They couldn't win it all. Not this year. However it is very unlikely ICC will lose to a 1A team at all the next two maybe even three years. But it just takes a perfect storm, and crazier things have happened when all the pressure is on teenage kids.

D6Bound

You are correct, crazy things do happen and they wouldn't win state without those two...but unless both of them pick up 2 fouls each at the beginning of the game that still means they're gonna play a lot of minutes. Too far-fetched of an idea if you ask me. If it was just one player, this could be a lot more of a relevant discussion.

Sports Loser

Quote from: D6Bound on February 22, 2019, 11:32:07 am
You are correct, crazy things do happen and they wouldn't win state without those two...but unless both of them pick up 2 fouls each at the beginning of the game that still means they're gonna play a lot of minutes. Too far-fetched of an idea if you ask me. If it was just one player, this could be a lot more of a relevant discussion.
I think what ppl are saying is that things do happen.  Injuries "Norfork" and sometimes bad draws happen.  ICC is loaded no doubt they have the best team prob should of won it last year but it wasn't meant to be.  If you have lived very long you have seen teams lose games that they aren't supposed to lose.  I'm a fan I just don't understand why people get so upset on here.  Win or lose at the end those kids are making great memories and will never forget this.  Parents take it worse than the kids

FormerPlayer

Quote from: Sports Loser on February 17, 2019, 02:51:59 pm
Do they still have the girl that moved there to get the ring this year or did she get hurt?  Is she a Sr?
Just saw this, how ridiculous, the girl that moved to get a ring.  Whitlee did move to Norfork, only because the nastiness at Mammoth Springs, the Mammoth girls quit to prevent her from having a Senior year.  The politics of a small town school ran this young lady off.  And she's still going strong. Norfork lost Macy Dillard and Kinley Stowers to ACL injuries within 2 weeks of each other, but this team has more heart than I've seen in recent years.  They are still winning!  Do some research before you put garbage out there!

Sportzman12

Quote from: D6Bound on February 19, 2019, 09:55:43 am
Well I was wondering if anyone was going to notice the mistake of this post but evidently not. The only state championship that McNeil won in 2004 was the Wikipedia Arkansas Basketball 1A state championship. Unfortunately that doesn't count. In fact, the school that won the class A state championship in 2004 was Waldo, which is the only southern 1A team to win it in the last 15 years.  Didn't your teachers tell you not to use Wikipedia as a credible source?

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Basketball/2018_basketball_State_Champs.pdf

Waldo Bulldogs won state in 2004, both of y'all need history lessons lol oh yeah the south is on the rise.

D6Bound

Quote from: Sportzman12 on March 02, 2019, 04:11:16 pm
Waldo Bulldogs won state in 2004, both of y'all need history lessons lol oh yeah the south is on the rise.
uhhh...I believe I said Waldo won it in 2004? Literally on the post you quoted...maybe you need literature lessons haha

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas