• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smackover HC (filled Mike Baysinger)

Started by GotInfo?, January 19, 2017, 09:34:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GotInfo?

I'm with you Pat, this should be an AD/HFC job.  Especially with the low pay scale that Smackover has.  Gives them a chance to go get someone good.

Pat Swilling

I just believe from 5A down every school should be AD/HFC together.

Rumpelstiltskin

Who said it wasn't an AD:HF job?

bleudog

Quote from: Rumpelstiltskin on January 31, 2017, 09:26:52 am
Who said it wasn't an AD:HF job?

Who said it was?

Strickland was not the AD.
Poff is listed as AD with Steele as Assistant AD.

CLICK HERE

Rumpelstiltskin

Didn't see where anybody said it was or wasnt. But most Arkansas schools that I know of have both. Either way, the ringmaster wasnt running the circus very well before. They need someone who can.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Rumpelstiltskin on January 31, 2017, 12:13:37 pm
Didn't see where anybody said it was or wasnt. But most Arkansas schools that I know of have both. Either way, the ringmaster wasnt running the circus very well before. They need someone who can.
Soooo did you fire the wrong guy?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Rumpelstiltskin on January 31, 2017, 12:13:37 pm

So, are you trying to say Poff wasn't doing a very good job?

Proud Buckaroo

If so... Kind of hard to do your job 100% effectively when you've been through chemo treatments twice. 

bleudog

January 31, 2017, 08:37:40 pm #58 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:27:53 am by bleudog
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on January 31, 2017, 08:07:44 pm
If so... Kind of hard to do your job 100% effectively when you've been through chemo treatments twice. 

I wasn't going to mention that but I used to see him on Tuesdays and was wondering how he was doing.

Rumpelstiltskin

I don't know about any of that, the program could obviously be better though. I think my point was directed more at the football coach. One way or another though the job wasn't getting done. They under achieved.

bassfisherman999

February 01, 2017, 09:14:49 am #60 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:05:35 pm by bassfisherman999
so who will be in the running for this job???

Rick Swines

Its only a 215 day contract with a low base salary.  Going to be hard to get a good coach with such a low salary

bigman5570

Quote from: Rick Swines on February 01, 2017, 01:33:23 pm
Its only a 215 day contract with a low base salary.  Going to be hard to get a good coach with such a low salary

What's the stipend?

Iknewthemwhen

I have yet to understand why the previous HC is no longer the HC.  Can anyone explain that?

Proud Buckaroo

February 02, 2017, 12:17:03 am #64 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:18:44 am by Proud Buckaroo
Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 01, 2017, 11:37:40 pm
I have yet to understand why the previous HC is no longer the HC.  Can anyone explain that?

Underachieved in most people's eyes.

Three years ago he had a QB who is playing at Arkansas baptist.
A WR who is now playing for the Hogs.
A RB/LB who is now playing for SAU.

Several other seniors who had been together since peewee and had only lost 3 games since they were together.

2012. Smackover was up 14-0 over eventual Champion Harding. Lost 21-14 and was the only team to give Harding a scare that year. Smackover was the 5th seed that year.

2013. Got to the semi-finals with a loaded sophmore group. I believe they shared the conference that year. Ended up getting mercy ruled by Glen Rose in Benton harmony grove field. 54-21. I believe.

2014. Mercy ruled almost everyone they played. Got to the championship game. Where they lost a very hard fought game to charleston.

2015. Got to the semi finals again and looked to make it into the championship game for the second year in a row. Loaded senior high team. There was 12 seniors that year. Changed the game from Smackover field; claims were made that the field was "unsafe", to el dorado highschool field and ended up losing to Runner-up Rivercrest by 2 points.

2016. Lots of sophmores and Juniors. Throughout the year. Lost a lot of games we shouldn't have. We knew it was going to be a down year. Got to the first round of the playoffs as a 3 seed. Ended up losing to charleston 8-0. The only team to hold charleston to that low of a score until Prescott put a beat down on them in the finals.

WHITEchicken

Loss to charleston 8-0 played them better than anyone did all year except Prescott and underachieved? Not sure where that logic comes from. When smack lost to charleston in the championship game it came down to a couple of plays. Luck was involved and it was not on smacks side that night.

RandomAlias_95

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on February 02, 2017, 12:17:03 am
Underachieved in most people's eyes.

Three years ago he had a QB who is playing at Arkansas baptist.
A WR who is now playing for the Hogs.
A RB/LB who is now playing for SAU.

Several other seniors who had been together since peewee and had only lost 3 games since they were together.

2012. Smackover was up 14-0 over eventual Champion Harding. Lost 21-14 and was the only team to give Harding a scare that year. Smackover was the 5th seed that year.

2013. Got to the semi-finals with a loaded sophmore group. I believe they shared the conference that year. Ended up getting mercy ruled by Glen Rose in Benton harmony grove field. 54-21. I believe.

2014. Mercy ruled almost everyone they played. Got to the championship game. Where they lost a very hard fought game to charleston.

2015. Got to the semi finals again and looked to make it into the championship game for the second year in a row. Loaded senior high team. There was 12 seniors that year. Changed the game from Smackover field; claims were made that the field was "unsafe", to el dorado highschool field and ended up losing to Runner-up Rivercrest by 2 points.

2016. Lots of sophmores and Juniors. Throughout the year. Lost a lot of games we shouldn't have. We knew it was going to be a down year. Got to the first round of the playoffs as a 3 seed. Ended up losing to charleston 8-0. The only team to hold charleston to that low of a score until Prescott put a beat down on them in the finals.

What QB did he have that plays for Baptist? Clark plays baseball for UCA?

THA TRUTH

Quote from: WHITEchicken on February 02, 2017, 08:26:09 am
Loss to charleston 8-0 played them better than anyone did all year except Prescott and underachieved? Not sure where that logic comes from. When smack lost to charleston in the championship game it came down to a couple of plays. Luck was involved and it was not on smacks side that night.

The rivercrest game is the only one in question but that wouldn't be the case if the players would've listened to their coaches screaming when they left a guy wide open on a fake PAT  and not turned the ball over 3 times all things the coaches can't control but that happens when egos get out of control

WHITEchicken

Turnovers and don't forget the perfectly defended pass for a touchdown in that game that was luckily caught off the tip. If only those kids would have been coached to play that better... come on. The first touchdown was a blown coverage that I'm sure the coaches never practiced. Y'all can blame whoever you want. The truth is THE COACH CAN ONLY PREPARE THE KIDS. He can't go play it for them. A team that wasn't prepared would have got blown out against charleston in the championship, charleston this year, and river crest last year. They were prepared.

THA TRUTH

nuttinbuthogs

Boy that's some tough accusations.  Sounds like they were doing pretty well, just didn't win a championship and so some people got mad.

Proud Buckaroo

February 02, 2017, 02:44:47 pm #71 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:50:26 pm by Proud Buckaroo
Now, let's make this clear. I am NOT the one saying he underachieved. I actually liked Coach. I put down all the reasons of what people have said and complained as to why he supposedly "underachieved." Someone asked why he was let go of his duties. So I complied a list of all the reasons people believe he should be removed of his duties to be the Coach.

And I didn't mean Arkansas Baptist. I meant UCA. Thanks for that correction.

Iknewthemwhen

From what I have read on here I would say it seems like more than he just didn't win enough.  I'm not sure how many years Strickland has been at Smackover but his record is pretty darn good. No he didn't win a championship but if you fire all the coaches in Arkansas that didn't win a championship there will not be many coaches left.  Even if you fire the ones who didn't win when they were expected too, there will be some coaches without jobs.   
Problem is that people don't really know sometimes.  I bet the coach made the wrong guy mad and that's where the problem started. Just seems to be more than losing.

Proud Buckaroo

Technically, he wasn't fired. He resigned as the head coach. I liked Strickland. He was good with the kids. I've heard his speeches to the kids and he treated every single one of them fairly. He held the kids accountable for their own mistakes and choices. There was plenty of times a kid done something wrong and he could have made the situation worse. But, he took care of it professionally. The kids were always first over a win in his eyes.

I hope we get a home run hire that does the same thing.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on February 03, 2017, 12:57:04 am
Technically, he wasn't fired. He resigned as the head coach. I liked Strickland. He was good with the kids. I've heard his speeches to the kids and he treated every single one of them fairly. He held the kids accountable for their own mistakes and choices. There was plenty of times a kid done something wrong and he could have made the situation worse. But, he took care of it professionally. The kids were always first over a win in his eyes.

I hope we get a home run hire that does the same thing.

What about Shane Davis?

THA TRUTH

Wilson

Davis is an offensive assistant at a 5A school in the Metro Atlanta Georgia area. . .even though is his home school. . I don't the Smackover would be able to offer enough to make the move back financially doable

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on February 03, 2017, 08:18:40 am
What about Shane Davis?

Completely out of the question. No way we could pay him enough to do that.

Jimbo Morphis

Cmon PB text me some names, I know you're hearing something.

WHITEchicken

Here is a short list of names.
Houston Nutt
Steve Spurrier
Some guy with the last name Putin.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: WHITEchicken on February 07, 2017, 08:44:54 am
Here is a short list of names.
Houston Nutt
Steve Spurrier
Some guy with the last name Putin.
You need to worry about your own hire.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Oldman on February 07, 2017, 08:34:41 am
Cmon PB text me some names, I know you're hearing something.

I cannot comment at the moment. I was asked not say.

GotInfo?

From what I hear, there is a lot of things to fix , but if they are willing to do it the right way, look out!

WHITEchicken

Well if they get the Putin guy he should Be able to FIX a lot.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: GotInfo? on February 08, 2017, 10:13:09 pm
From what I hear, there is a lot of things to fix , but if they are willing to do it the right way, look out!

Like what?

WHITEchicken

Everything just like he FIXED the election

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: WHITEchicken on February 09, 2017, 03:38:36 pm
Everything just like he FIXED the election

We're talking about Smackover. Not the election...

THA TRUTH

WHITEchicken

Ok let me make this clear. I mentioned Putin. People have said he fixed the election. You said what could he fix. I said everything, as in he could fix it like he did the election. Spoiler alert... this was a joke.

WHITEchicken

I just heard from a good source that there is a lot of interest for the job. Multiple people from out of state and in state.

bleudog

February 10, 2017, 09:27:39 am #90 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:41:31 am by bleudog
Quote from: WHITEchicken on February 10, 2017, 09:16:30 am
I just heard from a good source that there is a lot of interest for the job. Multiple people from out of state and in state.

That's not surprisng for a school that has had recent deep playoff runs (and maybe even those that haven't).  I'd guess an applicant over/under at 30 or so with maybe 30%-40% from adjacent states and 10%-20% from out of the Arkansas/adjacent-state area.

The committee's trick will be to determine how many of those are viable applicants.  How many might stay for more than just a few seasons?  How many will like the area and adapt to the culture?  How many will be willing to take on the additional duties usually required of a small school head coach?

Pat Swilling

I heard this is the worst paying HFC job in arkansas?  that is gonna keep some experienced guys away

GotInfo?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: WHITEchicken on February 10, 2017, 09:16:30 am

Two from Texas. One from Oklahoma. Three internal applications. One from Union county. The rest are assistants looking for a head gig.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Pat Swilling on February 10, 2017, 09:40:04 am
I heard this is the worst paying HFC job in arkansas?  that is gonna keep some experienced guys away

The worst? Not hardly. ONE of the worst. That's probable.

WHITEchicken

Oklahoma huh? I haven't heard that one yet. Then again my source might just be slow with information. Any idea who the three internal applicants are?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: WHITEchicken on February 10, 2017, 11:57:21 am
Oklahoma huh? I haven't heard that one yet. Then again my source might just be slow with information. Any idea who the three internal applicants are?

I know one of them.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: GotInfo? on February 10, 2017, 09:51:27 am
On of the worst yes...

Back a few years ago Brian Strictland was joking to some of us that all his assistant coaches drove much nicer vehicles than he did.

WHITEchicken

So who is it PB? You are a better source than what I have.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on February 10, 2017, 12:25:47 pm
Back a few years ago Brian Strictland was joking to some of us that all his assistant coaches drove much nicer vehicles than he did.
Who is Brian Stricltland?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas