• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lane Hatcher?

Started by jsky14, January 27, 2018, 03:56:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.gametime

Yes....bama originally offered him a spot for a preferred walk-on....but now they have offered him a scholarship....for some reason ASU wanted him to grey shirt.

Maynard G Krebs

He leaves tomorrow for 'Bama

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: gameoflife on May 25, 2018, 02:27:55 pm
Is that correct Hatcher is going to Bama?
That's what he tweeted today.

PA Bruin Fan

Good for Lane!  That's awesome!!

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 08, 2018, 11:21:36 am
Well no, but nobody is disputing how good of a wrestler the kid is! Very talented in that sport. Also a very good football player -- Just not SEC level like some on here want to think. I hope he has a great career at ASU.

I don't claim to be an expert in recognizing talent.  But I'd say Saban is.  If he thinks Hatcher has SEC talent I sure won't disagree.

Overdahill

Quote from: PA Dad on May 25, 2018, 06:32:07 pm
I don't claim to be an expert in recognizing talent.  But I'd say Saban is.  If he thinks Hatcher has SEC talent I sure won't disagree.

Dang, JessieP and NickS(aban) on the same page! Who'd of thunk it?  :o

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on May 25, 2018, 07:10:25 pm

Dang, JessieP and NickS(aban) on the same page! Who'd of thunk it?  :o

Come on now, I'm a modest guy. All I ever said was a lot of the big boys are gonna be kicking themselves. Just to show how humble I am I will admit, Saban probably knows as much about football as I do. Oh, who am I kidding...TOLDCHA TOLDCHA TOLDCHA. I guess this kicks the Noland is better than Hatcher contingent right in the jewels. Getting a full ride to Bama, I'd say he passed Henry as PA's biggest recruit.

AirWarren

Quote from: JessieP on May 25, 2018, 07:23:41 pm
Come on now, I'm a modest guy. All I ever said was a lot of the big boys are gonna be kicking themselves. Just to show how humble I am I will admit, Saban probably knows as much about football as I do. Oh, who am I kidding...TOLDCHA TOLDCHA TOLDCHA. I guess this kicks the Noland is better than Hatcher contingent right in the jewels. Getting a full ride to Bama, I'd say he passed Henry as PA's biggest recruit.

Hold your horses a tad. We all know Josh Frazier and Altee Tenpenny had elustrious careers at bama being straight out of Arkansas.

It's a huge feat to get a scholly to bama, but from what I saw of a certain freshman last year  and with what is already on the depth chart, he has some work to do. Best of luck.

Coach T Wood

Anyone who gets an offer from Bama is a big recruit in my opinion.  But just to make sure......Henry has an offer as well from Bama....among most of the other SEC schools.....and he just finished his Junior season.

PA Dad

I don't think he passed Henry.  Hunter was offered by Bama and nearly everyone else.  Bama's offer is great for Hatcher but I don't think it matches Hunter's offers.

PA Dad

Quote from: Coach Wood, RHS on May 25, 2018, 08:47:11 pm
Anyone who gets an offer from Bama is a big recruit in my opinion.  But just to make sure......Henry has an offer as well from Bama....among most of the other SEC schools.....and he just finished his Junior season.

Coach, I think he was talking about Hunter but I could be mistaken.

IAFLAR7

Quote from: PA Dad on May 25, 2018, 08:47:23 pm
I don't think he passed Henry.  Hunter was offered by Bama and nearly everyone else.  Bama's offer is great for Hatcher but I don't think it matches Hunter's offers.
not even close..Henry is the real deal..

JessieP

Quote from: AirWarren on May 25, 2018, 08:11:16 pm
Hold your horses a tad. We all know Josh Frazier and Altee Tenpenny had elustrious careers at bama being straight out of Arkansas.

It's a huge feat to get a scholly to bama, but from what I saw of a certain freshman last year  and with what is already on the depth chart, he has some work to do. Best of luck.

Frazier, yes. Tenpenny (Rest his soul) was far from illustrious. He rushed for 137 yards in 2 seasons at Bama and was dismissed from the team. He was then dismissed from UNLV. I am not disparaging the deceased but Tenpenny was a troubled soul who peaked in high school.

Your missing my point. He was awarded a scholarship to the defending National Champion, the favorite to win it in 2019. He's a qb who will have a front row seat to the most talked about qb battle in college sports. After the Championship game it became apparent that Bama won't be able to keep both Hurts and Tua. Nick Saban (The best coach in college football) realized he needed another qb, he could have offered anyone. He offered Hatcher.     

JessieP

Quote from: Coach Wood, RHS on May 25, 2018, 08:47:11 pm

I stand corrected. I didn't realize Hatcher played on the same team as Hunter Henry. I knew they had a couple Offensive Linemen get D1 offers from this team (2016-2018) but I didn't realize Hunter Henry was in that group, my math was off.

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on May 25, 2018, 09:15:00 pm
I stand corrected. I didn't realize Hatcher played on the same team as Hunter Henry. I knew they had a couple Offensive Linemen get D1 offers from this team (2016-2018) but I didn't realize Hunter Henry was in that group, my math was off.

Ships passing in the night.  You're talking about Hunter - coach is talking about Hudson who currently plays at PA.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on May 25, 2018, 09:39:31 pm
Ships passing in the night.  You're talking about Hunter - coach is talking about Hudson who currently plays at PA.

Now I'm completely upside down. I'm talking about the Henry who played safety, I thought he got a scholarship to Arkansas, of the 3 PA players to get D1 offers he was the top prize. 

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on May 25, 2018, 10:09:49 pm
Now I'm completely upside down. I'm talking about the Henry who played safety, I thought he got a scholarship to Arkansas, of the 3 PA players to get D1 offers he was the top prize.

That is Hayden.  Hudson is a tight end like Hunter.  He has offers from Arkansas, Alabama and a bunch of others.

Coach T Wood

Ok.   Officially, I am confused.    ;D

STBruin

Hunter- NFL TE never played with Hatcher
Hayden- LB Arkansas played with Hatcher
Hudson- PA WR played with Hatcher

STBruin

I will admit, this really surprised me! Hatcher has been a good high school QB, bit this leaves me scratching my head. 0 Power 5 offers...grey shirt to Arkansas State, offers to Eastern Illinois, Murray State and Georgetown...then out of nowhere, an offer to Alabama???

AirWarren

Quote from: STBruin on May 26, 2018, 08:28:18 am
I will admit, this really surprised me! Hatcher has been a good high school QB, bit this leaves me scratching my head. 0 Power 5 offers...grey shirt to Arkansas State, offers to Eastern Illinois, Murray State and Georgetown...then out of nowhere, an offer to Alabama???

Pipeline tool to try to get Henry?

Alas.....Gus malzhan to Arkansas.....Springdale 5 situation....??

STBruin

Quote from: AirWarren on May 26, 2018, 08:59:25 am

[/quote

I don't think so, on either accord. I just don't see there being a package deal for a TE...

JessieP

Quote from: AirWarren on May 26, 2018, 08:59:25 am

After my initial taunting I had time to take it in, my initial reaction is often wrong. STBruin made a solid point, the timing is bizarre. Why would Saban wait 4 months after signing day to offer a qb who no one else offered ? Saban is good, he's not that good. I'm starting to think it is a total "Your buddies here" situation. Can someone waste a scholarship ? Alabama can. They are 3 deep with 4/5 Stars at every position. In the light of day I think Airwarren may be correct. Saban's pitch, do you want to play for a sub 500 team in it's 2nd year of rebuilding or come play for a National Championship with your old qb ? 

Overdahill

I'll laugh my butt off if Nick goes to the no punt philosophy  ;D

JessieP

Football scholarships are not always a black and white proposition. I myself was offered a full ride to SMU is the mid 80's. The problem was it was offered by the other 7 teams in the SWC.

DuckyDon

Quote from: JessieP on May 26, 2018, 09:44:19 am
After my initial taunting I had time to take it in, my initial reaction is often wrong. STBruin made a solid point, the timing is bizarre. Why would Saban wait 4 months after signing day to offer a qb who no one else offered ? Saban is good, he's not that good. I'm starting to think it is a total "Your buddies here" situation. Can someone waste a scholarship ? Alabama can. They are 3 deep with 4/5 Stars at every position. In the light of day I think Airwarren may be correct. Saban's pitch, do you want to play for a sub 500 team in it's 2nd year of rebuilding or come play for a National Championship with your old qb ?

Hurts has to be transfering. Saban is good, but what did he see that EVERY other major college missed? Saban is good, but the other coaches AREN'T that bad...I just dont think this kid is a D1 talent. Watched a couple of his games, and was never overly impressed. Easy to look good with WR running WIDE butt open all over the field. what pitch does Saban have to give him? Its like a super model walking up to Erkel, and putting her underwear in his pocket!!!

AirWarren

Quote from: DuckyDon on May 26, 2018, 01:20:41 pm
Hurts has to be transfering. Saban is good, but what did he see that EVERY other major college missed? Saban is good, but the other coaches AREN'T that bad...I just dont think this kid is a D1 talent. Watched a couple of his games, and was never overly impressed. Easy to look good with WR running WIDE butt open all over the field. what pitch does Saban have to give him? Its like a super model walking up to Erkel, and putting her underwear in his pocket!!!

It's almost June. If Hurts would have transferred he would have done it by now. Don't you think? It just seems like an odd time to transfer. And this whole Hatcher to bama thing just doesn't pass the smell test to me. LIL Nicky has something up his sleeve.

Anyone know Hatcher's relationship with Bielema? Funny how Bielema spends a lot of time in the off-season at Bama camps AND remember Enos is the offensive coordinator at bama now. I would bet money Enos told Nicky, we got a guy in Arkansas that can sling it...let me get MY hands on him.

JessieP

Quote from: AirWarren on May 26, 2018, 02:10:15 pm
It's almost June. If Hurts would have transferred he would have done it by now. Don't you think? It just seems like an odd time to transfer. And this whole Hatcher to bama thing just doesn't pass the smell test to me. LIL Nicky has something up his sleeve.

Anyone know Hatcher's relationship with Bielema? Funny how Bielema spends a lot of time in the off-season at Bama camps AND remember Enos is the offensive coordinator at bama now. I would bet money Enos told Nicky, we got a guy in Arkansas that can sling it...let me get MY hands on him.

Here's the thing Air, he really isn't at all impressive with his arm. I have always been impressed with his whatever it takes to win attitude. He is a MacGuyver in pads. His 40 can be timed orally (one mississippi, two mississippi), he doesn't have a cannon arm and not overly accurate. He is not jaw dropping in any one category, he is above average in all categories. He is almost impossible to tackle and wills his team to win. Let's face it, LRM had them dead to rights. The combination or LRM's coaches calling the worst possible plays at the end gave him a tiny crack. He marched right through it. The kid is a winner. At the beginning of last season PA Dad, Maynard, Yellowcake and others were commenting on PA's O-line being iffy, I wrote it off as selling wolf tickets. They were correct, their O-line was mediocre on a good night but Hatcher put up record breaking numbers. He went undefeated behind a average O-line and non-existant running game. That alone speaks volumes.

DuckyDon

Quote from: AirWarren on May 26, 2018, 02:10:15 pm

True...but we do agree that something doesn't smell right...could it be $$$$$??

You would have thought if there was a relationship with Bielema and Hatcher he might have been recruiting him before he was shown the door...

DuckyDon

Quote from: JessieP on May 26, 2018, 03:26:49 pm
Here's the thing Air, he really isn't at all impressive with his arm. I have always been impressed with his whatever it takes to win attitude. He is a MacGuyver in pads. His 40 can be timed orally (one mississippi, two mississippi), he doesn't have a cannon arm and not overly accurate. He is not jaw dropping in any one category, he is above average in all categories. He is almost impossible to tackle and wills his team to win. Let's face it, LRM had them dead to rights. The combination or LRM's coaches calling the worst possible plays at the end gave him a tiny crack. He marched right through it. The kid is a winner. At the beginning of last season PA Dad, Maynard, Yellowcake and others were commenting on PA's O-line being iffy, I wrote it off as selling wolf tickets. They were correct, their O-line was mediocre on a good night but Hatcher put up record breaking numbers. He went undefeated behind a average O-line and non-existant running game. That alone speaks volumes.

From what I saw of the State Championship game, more of some of his WRs making plays, and the PA defense making a play/the LRM coaches calling a dumb play!!! Being named MVP was not indicative of his play during the game.

JessieP

Quote from: DuckyDon on May 26, 2018, 03:45:46 pm
From what I saw of the State Championship game, more of some of his WRs making plays, and the PA defense making a play/the LRM coaches calling a dumb play!!! Being named MVP was not indicative of his play during the game.

If your talking about that wobbly dead duck pass into the endzone when they were ahead/driving/eating clock, if that's the play than dumb is far too charitable. Moronic, brain dead clueless would be more apropos. The PA coaches were trying to hide their giggles after that interception. Yes, PA's defense stepped up big time. But I say without Hatcher LRM wins easily, he made some amazing plays with his feet. If his passing game was off it's because he could have told you how many cavities the LRM front 7 had, they were in his face all game. He took that game over.

OrangeCrush.

My opinion... Saban got Hatcher because now Hatcher can play recruiter to get Henry to Bama for next year. Saban is smart, he didn't offer a kid that'll never play for no reason.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 28, 2018, 08:42:47 am
https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Football-Recruiting-Alabama-lands-2018-QB-Layne-Hatcher--118526329

That pretty much explains it. It's still an honor for the kid even though it's a "can you set me up with your friend" situation.

On a side note, remember when you so vigorously defended someone on a basketball board awhile back ? How you bashed me and others for questioning the shenanigans of a local basketball family ? Well it seems the said player has transferred to PA, a school you have made a FF career out of questioning, for his senior year. He transferred a couple months after finishing his last game at SS. It seems as though your angel just got in bed with your devil, bummer! 

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on May 28, 2018, 10:40:18 am
That pretty much explains it. It's still an honor for the kid even though it's a "can you set me up with your friend" situation.

On a side note, remember when you so vigorously defended someone on a basketball board awhile back ? How you bashed me and others for questioning the shenanigans of a local basketball family ? Well it seems the said player has transferred to PA, a school you have made a FF career out of questioning, for his senior year. He transferred a couple months after finishing his last game at SS. It seems as though your angel just got in bed with your devil, bummer!

You need a hobby.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 28, 2018, 09:56:30 pm
You need a hobby.

Oooo, another stinging rebuke. Good one, never ever a response but a clever comeback. Point taken, maybe I'll obsess on a particular school for years straight. It seemed to keep you happy.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: STBruin on May 26, 2018, 08:28:18 am

Those are the kind of offers you get when you don't have a high enough qualifying ACT score, apparently he has qualified now. Great offer from Bama and I don't blame him for taking it, but if he actually wanted to see the field in D1 he should've gone somewhere else.

Dr. Defense

AirWarren

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 29, 2018, 09:31:53 am
Those are the kind of offers you get when you don't have a high enough qualifying ACT score, apparently he has qualified now. Great offer from Bama and I don't blame him for taking it, but if he actually wanted to see the field in D1 he should've gone somewhere else.

Wait....I was under the impression that private schools produced only high act scores?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: AirWarren on May 29, 2018, 09:47:28 am
Wait....I was under the impression that private schools produced only high act scores?

Money can't buy everything...

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 29, 2018, 09:53:23 am
Money can't buy everything...
Do you know that he had an unqualifying ACT score, or are you guessing that's the case?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on May 29, 2018, 11:02:41 am
Do you know that he had an unqualifying ACT score, or are you guessing that's the case?

That's what I was told by a PA poster who is usually in the know about these type of things.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 29, 2018, 11:22:01 am
That's what I was told by a PA poster who is usually in the know about these type of things.
I don't know one way or the other, but it would be a little surprising to me.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 29, 2018, 11:22:01 am

Your source's information is not accurate.

SUGARTOWN

May 29, 2018, 01:44:31 pm #94 Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:55:42 pm by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on May 29, 2018, 01:32:04 pm

So the reason he had not signed an LOI yet was......?

I don't think he would've also posted this info on a message board if he didn't think/know it was true. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I was just answering the question about why no other schools worth a crap had offered. As I stated earlier, barring a rash of injuries in season, he'll never see the field at Bama.

JessieP

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on May 29, 2018, 01:32:04 pm

I would tend to agree. The act issue would have been an issue back in February for any school. Besides, we're talking about Alabama not Stanford. ACT scores are to Alabama like what accordions are to deer hunting.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 29, 2018, 01:44:31 pm

Do not know the reason for that.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 29, 2018, 01:44:31 pm

I don't think he would've also posted this info on a message board if he didn't think/know it was true. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I was just answering the question about why no other schools worth a crap had offered. As I stated earlier, barring a rash of injuries in season, he'll never see the field at Bama.
Generally speaking, the rigor of a PA degree can not be achieved without the ability to get a 21 on the ACT. I'm not saying absolutely, but it would be rare.

STBruin

If you have a 2.5 GPA in core classes...you only need a 820 on the SAT or around a 17 on the ACT. I seriously don't think that was the issue. Think the issue was more that he is 5'10, doesn't have a strong arm, and is not a running threat at all, not his testing scores.

JessieP

Quote from: STBruin on May 29, 2018, 03:33:08 pm
If you have a 2.5 GPA in core classes...you only need a 820 on the SAT or around a 17 on the ACT. I seriously don't think that was the issue. Think the issue was more that he is 5'10, doesn't have a strong arm, and is not a running threat at all, not his testing scores.

I think that is correct. I have always said his game is jaw dropping in no one aspect, it's very good in every aspect. If you figure Alabama has a scholarship or 2 to gamble on why not throw the dice on a Hudson Henry conduit ? I'd do it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas