• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jr. High Baseball

Started by TruthHurts, January 18, 2018, 11:58:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TruthHurts

Will AAA ever recognize it?

athletic supporter

TruthHurts

Does it just need to go away? Seems like the high school coaches don't really have time for it.

theoutsiders

I wish Little Rock schools would pick it up. It is the only way they will be able to keep kids playing baseball is through the schools.

ricepig

Quote from: TruthHurts on January 18, 2018, 01:32:25 pm
Does it just need to go away? Seems like the high school coaches don't really have time for it.

Your high school coach is coaching the Jr high team?

beach bum

January 18, 2018, 05:28:25 pm #5 Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:37:42 pm by beach bum
Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2018, 04:21:57 pm
Your high school coach is coaching the Jr high team?

In 2A-4A they would if this ever happened where the AAA took it over.... This may shock you but there are some 3A schools with just 3 football coaches and 4A schools with only 4. And one of those football coaches is the baseball coach. Coaches in 2A-4A have to work way more hours than 6A and 7A coaches. The 6A and 7A schools get the luxury of having a coach for every little thing there is. Imagine if you are one of those coaches in that situation and asked to teach a core subject like science or math. People can make fun of the coach/PE stereotype, but maybe they should attempt a coaches schedule during the season and see how much they like it especially if they are teaching a core subject along with their coaching duties.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on January 18, 2018, 05:28:25 pm
In 2A-4A they would if this ever happened where the AAA took it over.... This may shock you but there are some 3A schools with just 3 football coaches and 4A schools with only 4. And one of those football coaches is the baseball coach. Coaches in 2A-4A have to work way more hours than 6A and 7A coaches. The 6A and 7A schools get the luxury of having a coach for every little thing there is. Imagine if you are one of those coaches in that situation and asked to teach a core subject like science or math. People can make fun of the coach/PE stereotype, but maybe they should attempt a coaches schedule during the season and see how much they like it especially if they are teaching a core subject along with their coaching duties.

Ok, most of the team's in the Jr High 7th/8th grade league in our area are coached by volunteers, or paid volunteers, lol. They've mostly had guys still in college or just out of, coaching the Jonesboro team.

big E

We have a full time coach at PW for jr.high baseball. He does help with the high School when the games don't conflict.

T-Bone

January 18, 2018, 06:54:03 pm #8 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:16:32 am by T-Bone
Most from around here are on travel teams.  If you mean 9th grade it is a do one thing or another.  Meaning play travel ball or play with the school.  Most, not all, of the best players go travel ball or show case that young.  Same basically with high school extended leagues but it sounds like the power that be screwed that up only allowing, if I remember correctly, 8 days to play.  Would rather a high school that is concerned with getting better just have practices which I believe our group may be doing.

T-Bone

January 18, 2018, 06:57:03 pm #9 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:18:18 am by T-Bone
Quote from: T-Bone on January 18, 2018, 06:54:03 pm
Most from around here are on travel teams.  If you mean 9th grade it is a do one thing or another.  Meaning play travel ball or play with the school.  Most, not all, of the best players go travel ball that young.  Same basically with high school extended leagues but it sounds like the power that be screwed that up only allowing, if I remember correctly, 8 days to play.  Would rather a high school that is concerned with getting better just have practices which I believe our group may be doing.

And if they allow those that want to play travel ball or showcase and then be able to practice with the team, it will be even better for the schools.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on January 18, 2018, 06:54:03 pm
Most from around here are on travel teams.  If you mean 9th grade it is a do one thing or another.  Meaning play travel ball or play with the school.  Most, not all, of the best players go travel ball or show case that young.  Same basically with high school extended leagues but it sounds like the power that be screwed that up only allowing, if I remember correctly, 8 days to play.  Would rather a high school that is concerned with getting better just have practices which I believe our group may be doing.

I assume they are talking about the 7th/8th grade league. Jonesboro(Jr Jackals) has had a team in it since the beginning. It started out as USSSA teams, and probably still are from the liability aspect. 9th graders are on the high school teams, he it the Freshman, JV, or Varsity teams.

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland had their 7th and 8th grade tryouts today.
They looked pretty solid.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: theoutsiders on January 18, 2018, 01:55:54 pm
I wish Little Rock schools would pick it up. It is the only way they will be able to keep kids playing baseball is through the schools.

For three schools in the PCSSD, 9th graders play high school ball.  The ones that are good enough play varsity, while the others play JV.  This may also be the case for the private schools in LR. The problem with doing this for the public/magnet schools in Little Rock is that the high schools don't have a specific middle school.  In other words, there is no Parkview or Mills middle school.  There are a bunch of middle schools, but I don't think they are tied to any particular high school.  I know a lot of kids from Fuller go to Mills, and a lot of kids from Henderson go to Parkview because of the proximity from the middle schools to the high schools, but I don't think it's a requirement for those kids to go to those high schools.

KentMurphy17

I know of a couple of smaller schools trying to get junior high going where its just the high school coach trying to do both.....you are lucky if you can get a quality volunteer to help out it sounds like!

I would imagine trying to both of those the right way and figure out some kind of practice time for the junior high kids would be tough...

theoutsiders

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 22, 2018, 02:21:52 pm
For three schools in the PCSSD, 9th graders play high school ball.  The ones that are good enough play varsity, while the others play JV.  This may also be the case for the private schools in LR. The problem with doing this for the public/magnet schools in Little Rock is that the high schools don't have a specific middle school.  In other words, there is no Parkview or Mills middle school.  There are a bunch of middle schools, but I don't think they are tied to any particular high school.  I know a lot of kids from Fuller go to Mills, and a lot of kids from Henderson go to Parkview because of the proximity from the middle schools to the high schools, but I don't think it's a requirement for those kids to go to those high schools.

That is true schools in LRSD have "feeder" schools, but that does not mean that is where you have to go or that you end up there. I was referring to more of a middle school league like basketball, football, track, are doing in PCCSSD and LRSD. Have a middle school team and they play the other local middle schools. May not be the best, but it would keep kids who want to play, but cannot afford USSSA involved. The city leagues in Little Rock are not very good from what I have seen.

BW2281

Quote from: TruthHurts on January 18, 2018, 01:32:25 pm

As a dad of a 8th grader going into 9th, I wish they would either put some time into it or do away with it and ket them play travel ball in through the year.  My son has played travel ball for years all over the states and it worries me the lack of time devoted to Jr high players

hsindian

I think the league in Jonesboro is a pretty good league. Decent competition and I think parents mainly coach. Just a rough estimate I think there's around 12 to 14 teams in it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas