• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone hear about the AAA firing the head guy for Officials?

Started by Nacho, October 18, 2017, 04:10:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is rulesman going to make it?

Yes
1 (8.3%)
No
5 (41.7%)
Yes, but he's fuming.
2 (16.7%)
Yes, but he's going to become a better rulesman and not be so hot tempered
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: October 21, 2017, 01:18:26 pm

Nacho

OLDSCHOOL82

Rulesman

WHO did they allegedly fire? If you have "sources", you have a name. Name the person allegedly fired!

Nacho

Settle your horses fella.  I asked if you guys had heard that...and I didn't name names because I don't know names. So shut your (!) down.

Eddie Goodson

As hard as it is to field enough officials, I seriously doubt it.

Rulesman

Quote from: Nacho on October 18, 2017, 07:04:04 pm
Settle your horses fella.  I asked if you guys had heard that...and I didn't name names because I don't know names. So shut your (!) down.
Then don't put crap like this out.

cuckoobird

I heard they were getting rid of all officials and going to replace them with the local peewee refs. Will cost schools less and their won't be a drop in knowledge...

ABC™

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 18, 2017, 07:28:10 pm
I heard they were getting rid of all officials and going to replace them with the local peewee refs. Will cost schools less and their won't be a drop in knowledge...
+1. I know there's a shortage but at least educate the ones there are.

justafan33

There are a slough of one's that aren't that good. But fans base what they watch on Sunday as the gospel. FYI know that HS rules differ.  I've witnessed pure crap officiating this year.  But then I've seen other crews that were great.

Lizard47

Quote from: justafan33 on October 18, 2017, 07:55:33 pm
There are a slough of one's that aren't that good. But fans base what they watch on Sunday as the gospel. FYI know that HS rules differ.  I've witnessed pure crap officiating this year.  But then I've seen other crews that were great.

Yep, its like a box of chocolates. If you hate like 80% of the flavors that is, lol.

NEA Razorback olfan

HorseFeathers

Quote from: justafan33 on October 18, 2017, 07:55:33 pm

It's funny hearing fans making fools of themselves yelling at refs...when they don't know the rules either

Eddie Goodson

I tell anyone that gripes about high school officiating that they are constantly hiring. Turn in an application or hush up. The AAA would love to have the problem of having too many officials.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 18, 2017, 08:42:32 pm
I tell anyone that gripes about high school officiating that they are constantly hiring. Turn in an application or hush up. The AAA would love to have the problem of having too many officials.

Link? I have no wish to do  it myself...but might start handing out applications at games.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 18, 2017, 08:44:08 pm
Link? I have no wish to do  it myself...but might start handing out applications at games.
Weird that the AAA website is totally down right now.

Brian G

I know there was some talk after the WYC forfeit deal last week.

Is this rumor connected to that deal?

beach bum

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 18, 2017, 08:48:29 pm
Weird that the AAA website is totally down right now.

Wow... Not good. Maybe they have went all North Korea and locked the public out  8)

bigchief72455

nastynice

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: B.G. on October 18, 2017, 09:09:00 pm
I know there was some talk after the WYC forfeit deal last week.

Is this rumor connected to that deal?
What exactly happened? Never hear much from the 2A world of football these days.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on October 19, 2017, 08:05:44 am
What exactly happened? Never hear much from the 2A world of football these days.

Crew didn't show up to a game!  Coaches ended up playing, I believe, 2, 20 min halves.  With no AAA refs.

Nacho

Crew didn't show to the Malvern/Glen Rose game either. You guys think I'm stirring the pot, I'm really not. I'll ask more but I was curious if you had heard.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Nacho on October 19, 2017, 08:53:14 am
Crew didn't show to the Malvern/Glen Rose game either. You guys think I'm stirring the pot, I'm really not. I'll ask more but I was curious if you had heard.

That goes on the scheduler then first.

gameoflife

Officials need some more training, but when you don't have many its hard to push them to do much.  If they refuse or quit, you don't have officials. 

OLDSCHOOL82

The official situation is not going to get better.  The older ones are sliding out both due to age and the way the game is played now.  Too much running for all but the white hat.  If you really want to see some disparity, watch some 2a games then each classification up to 7A.  We have some great refs, just not enough of them. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on October 19, 2017, 08:06:45 am
Crew didn't show up to a game!  Coaches ended up playing, I believe, 2, 20 min halves.  With no AAA refs.

Heard one was on vacation in Houston Texas Instead of in Havana....

gameoflife

I see refs who do a really good job, some not so good.  The ones you don't notice seem to be the good ones, the ones that seem to be having lots of discussions with the coaches and throwing a lot of flags and looking like they are directing the game instead of just officiating are the bad ones.

sevenof400

Quote from: gameoflife on October 19, 2017, 10:39:26 am
I see refs who do a really good job, some not so good.  The ones you don't notice seem to be the good ones, the ones that seem to be having lots of discussions with the coaches and throwing a lot of flags and looking like they are directing the game instead of just officiating are the bad ones.

So what is supposed to happen when a team commits a lot of penalties?  The problem with your position is you seem to want referees to ignore or overlook penalties - are you sure that is such a good thing? 

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 19, 2017, 11:31:35 am
So what is supposed to happen when a team commits a lot of penalties?  The problem with your position is you seem to want referees to ignore or overlook penalties - are you sure that is such a good thing?

You can throw a flag on every snap of the ball in almost all levels of football. 

Nacho

It does suck for refs. They are only noticed when they are bad. This is a good reminder to thank the ones you don't notice!!

sevenof400

October 19, 2017, 11:44:59 am #30 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:47:04 am by sevenof400
Quote from: Nacho on October 19, 2017, 11:38:19 am
It does suck for refs. They are only noticed when they are bad. This is a good reminder to thank the ones you don't notice!!

Again, what do you really mean here? 

I get that we all want a game experience where the referee is seen and heard as little as possible, but isn't that just another way of saying we hope the two teams play as clean a game as possible? 

Just to be clear, I am not trying to be difficult here but what every sport would benefit from is better training on game management - and that is something AAA has done nothing to address.

Rulesman

Quote from: Nacho on October 19, 2017, 11:38:19 am
So when are you going to provide the facts you claim to know? I'm calling your bluff Mr Pot Stirrer.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 19, 2017, 11:44:59 am
Again, what do you really mean here? 

I get that we all want a game experience where the referee is seen and heard as little as possible, but isn't that just another way of saying we hope the two teams play as clean a game as possible?

Either that or that everyone hopes the refs monitor the game, not let anything get out of hand, and or dangerous and let the teams decide the outcome.  More of an old school football game that's physical.  Of course, call any thing dirty or dangerous, but the rest, let em play equally on both sides.

Nacho

Quote from: Rulesman on October 19, 2017, 11:46:44 am
So when are you going to provide the facts you claim to know? I'm calling your bluff Mr Pot Stirrer.

Call bluff all you want. I specifically said I wasn't sure. READ!

Nacho

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on October 19, 2017, 11:47:20 am
Either that or that everyone hopes the refs monitor the game, not let anything get out of hand, and or dangerous and let the teams decide the outcome.  More of an old school football game that's physical.  Of course, call any thing dirty or dangerous, but the rest, let em play equally on both sides.

High Five.

Chief_Osceola™

If by 'head guy for Officials' you mean the one who sent the crew to Morrilton for the Motown/Maumelle game, his firing would be completely justified for that reason alone. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 19, 2017, 12:14:33 pm
If by 'head guy for Officials' you mean the one who sent the crew to Morrilton for the Motown/Maumelle game, his firing would be completely justified for that reason alone. 

For a minute there, I thought we were on hogville when I saw this topic.

Maybe GUV will have some insight on this.

sevenof400

Quote from: AirWarren on October 19, 2017, 12:18:57 pm

For a minute there, I thought we were on hogville when I saw this topic.

Maybe GUV will have some insight on this.

Maybe???   ???

cuckoobird

Don't worry nacho. I think rulesman may be one of the guys who are noticed on the field because he sure gets his feelings hurt easy on here when the topic of refs comes up

sevenof400

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 19, 2017, 12:28:00 pm
Don't worry nacho. I think rulesman may be one of the guys who are noticed on the field because he sure gets his feelings hurt easy on here when the topic of refs comes up

Although Rulesman is more than capable of speaking for himself, I hate reading threads like this where everyone is quick to blame the referee for everything wrong in the game.  The only solutions to this problem are more referees and better training (this applies to all HS sports).  At present, no one is effectively addressing either problem - how do you fix that? 

OLDSCHOOL82

PercussionMan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 19, 2017, 12:14:33 pm

Come on Chief....surely you're not complaining about that game still.  Morrilton whipped Maumelle....the Hornets only got the score to more than 7-14 points after Morrilton already had 42-49 and had benched their first string D and O.  Let's be real here....Maumelle usually competes pretty well against Morrilton, but not this year.  The referee for that game is also a college official and former player....he's pretty darn knowledgeable.

Rulesman

Quote from: Nacho on October 19, 2017, 11:50:35 am
Call bluff all you want. I specifically said I wasn't sure. READ!
I can read well enough to know your source is full of hot air and so are you.

Rulesman

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 19, 2017, 12:28:00 pm
Funniest thing I've read today. No, putting out garbage you can't back up with facts is the issue here. Nothing more. Nothing less. Nacho is nothing more than fake news.

Nacho

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 19, 2017, 12:38:13 pm
Although Rulesman is more than capable of speaking for himself, I hate reading threads like this where everyone is quick to blame the referee for everything wrong in the game.  The only solutions to this problem are more referees and better training (this applies to all HS sports).  At present, no one is effectively addressing either problem - how do you fix that?

I totally agree.

Nacho

Quote from: Rulesman on October 19, 2017, 01:00:55 pm
I can read well enough to know your source is full of hot air and so are you.

I hope your blood pressure isn't getting too high.

Nacho

and just so you know I will say this: I was wrong. It wasn't the head guy and I'll leave it at that for now.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

The only bad ref is a ref that doesn't want to be there but is only there for the money. I've seen some horrible calls(i.e Nashville false championship) but more training wouldn't have made a difference in that call because you have to throw judgment into the calls. Friday night refs don't have the luxury of instant replay, with five other refs in the booth making sure it's the right call. If a ref is calling the game and has energy to try to be in the best spot he/she can be to make the correct call that's about all we can ask for. If they are just walking around on grass (i.e Dollarway's janitors/ref squad) they have no reason being there. Maybe FF should make it a requirement for all us posters to intern a year officiating before allowing us to post. Lol

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PercussionMan on October 19, 2017, 12:43:35 pm
Come on Chief....surely you're not complaining about that game still.  Morrilton whipped Maumelle....the Hornets only got the score to more than 7-14 points after Morrilton already had 42-49 and had benched their first string D and O.  Let's be real here....Maumelle usually competes pretty well against Morrilton, but not this year.  The referee for that game is also a college official and former player....he's pretty darn knowledgeable.

3 plays in the first half set the tone for the entire game.  The 3rd play from scrimmage a forward pass was ruled a lateral, and was returned for a score.  Then, a touchdown gets called back for a chop block, where the flag didn't come out until our guy was 4 yards into the end zone.  The biggest one though was the long touchdown pass right before halftime.  That one is inexcusable.  Just poor defense by our guys.

I don't think anything in particular above cost us the game, because I don't think we would've gotten enough stops on defense to win.  Our offense moved the ball well, but struggled in the red zone.  Definitely credit Morrilton though - they played well and outplayed us for sure.

Sigmund Sauer

Can the members all chip in and start awarding a monthly gluteal pain award? Sorry it won't let you type b_t_t h--rt any more. Maybe a little hemorrhoid shaped medal with a lanyard? Rulesman is without a doubt the first recipient.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas