• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Basketball 2017-2018

Started by BannerMountainMan, September 27, 2017, 11:35:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo

I think we've reached our ceiling as a program under MA. I don't think MA can take the program any further than what we have done the last two years.

MT Legend

Coaches get to much of the blame when things don't go the way we believe they should.I thought Anderson did a good job of putting the kids in a good place to be successful.then they would not execute the plan.coaches coach and players execute what the coach calls in.cant blame Anderson for the players not executing.

bdubyab60

An absolute disappointment. I said anything less than a sweet 16 would be. It should have been expected. Once again inconsistent and unprepared to start a game.

Disappointing end to a mediocre season

bigworm

I remember the early 90s. Lots and lots of fun. I remember from Nolan to Mike. Absolute torture. Im happy with what mike is doing and I still believe hes the best man for the job. I also believe he will make it back to a final 4 soon.

sportsguy80

Well looks like history was made today. Down goes not only a one seed but the overall one seed. A team that lost only 2 games the whole year. If anyone says they have a perfect bracket they're lying big time!

bigworm

Yeah. Virginia should fire the coach.

cuckoobird

Coaches recruit those players that don't execute. It still leads back to MA

MT Legend

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 17, 2018, 10:45:47 am
Coaches recruit those players that don't execute. It still leads back to MA
we don't have bad talent. I think MA is doing a great job bringing in talent.The most talented team doesn't always win the game.i point you in the direction of Virginia.🤷🏾‍♂️

bdubyab60

First off. I don't give a squat about Virginia, that's them.

If you are happy with the results from this year fine.

But because some folks aren't and don't accept the average results from Heath until now folks get all defensive of MA.

Absolutely nothing wrong with expectations being higher for this program.

I'd be surprised if we are a anything other than a bubble or NIT team next year. 7 players being replaced doesn't usually bode well when none are elite players. Maybe we get lucky and there's a diamond in the rough.

7 years 3 tourney appearances, 2 wins and 0 SEC conference crowns regular season or ther wise. Ranked twice for less than a week basically.

A sweet 16 was my expectation once we made the tourney and we were absolutely unprepared for this game. And there was more than one game that it happened this year

MT Legend

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 17, 2018, 02:32:14 pm
First off. I don't give a squat about Virginia, that's them.

If you are happy with the results from this year fine.

But because some folks aren't and don't accept the average results from Heath until now folks get all defensive of MA.

Absolutely nothing wrong with expectations being higher for this program.

I'd be surprised if we are a anything other than a bubble or NIT team next year. 7 players being replaced doesn't usually bode well when none are elite players. Maybe we get lucky and there's a diamond in the rough.

7 years 3 tourney appearances, 2 wins and 0 SEC conference crowns regular season or ther wise. Ranked twice for less than a week basically.

A sweet 16 was my expectation once we made the tourney and we were absolutely unprepared for this game. And there was more than one game that it happened this year
im happy with the job MA is doing.we was 1 of only 68 teams selected to play in this tournament. Lots of schools would love to have our place.we could have been in the NIT.things could be a lot worse then where we are as a program.🤷🏾‍♂️

sportsguy80

Quote from: MT Legend on March 17, 2018, 05:16:48 pm
im happy with the job MA is doing.we was 1 of only 68 teams selected to play in this tournament. Lots of schools would love to have our place.we could have been in the NIT.things could be a lot worse then where we are as a program.🤷🏾‍♂️
Some people are just never satisfied regardless of what the outcomes are. If we would have made it to the sweet 16 or further there would have still been the complainers. It's sad when people think everything supposed to go their way just because.

cuckoobird

And that kind of acceptance of mediocrity is why we won't ever be back on top. If the fans demanded excellence it would come

MT Legend

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 17, 2018, 09:33:17 pm
And that kind of acceptance of mediocrity is why we won't ever be back on top. If the fans demanded excellence it would come
are you suggesting to fire MA?after he just took us to the tournament as a 7 seed? If I'm wrong about your intentions I apologize.if that is what you're insinuating then I'm confused.

MT Legend

Quote from: sportsguy80 on March 17, 2018, 09:30:45 pm
Some people are just never satisfied regardless of what the outcomes are. If we would have made it to the sweet 16 or further there would have still been the complainers. It's sad when people think everything supposed to go their way just because.
i agree 100% shameful really.

bdubyab60

Quote from: MT Legend on March 17, 2018, 05:16:48 pm
And if you are happy with that fine. But despite what many think not NCAA coach is hired to just make the tourney. I'll tell you my expectations straight out. I'm tired of hearing it could be worse. These are realistic expectations because the program has been there before and the state produces enough talent to be there.

You are aiming low if you don't at least expect this from our program.

A consistent top 25 program in the rankings. Again twice we have been ranked under MA. Once at seasons end and this year for a week.

Win the SEC regular season crown. Most years we are out of this race after the first two weeks of Conference play.

Win the SEC tourney.

Win some notable games against blue blood programs.

I'm fine with getting up and down the floor. But there is also a fundamental part to this game. We need to have it to take that next step.

Recruit retention. We shouldn't be having to fill rosters with Jucos and transfers. We have 6 seniors, 7 if Thomas hadn't been booted, and only two of those are 4 year guys.

Deeper runs in the tourney. Doesn't have to be every year. What good does making the tourney every year help when we aren't a threat in it. There is a reason Butler was a favorite as a 10 seed over us as a 7.

MA wins games, runs a clean program and is supposedly a great guy. I want him or whoever the coach is at Arkansas to do the things above. This program has been there before and can be again.

You'll notice I didn't mention a NC. Because if you are building to the expectations above there's a greater chance that an NC can happen.

But if you are happy with 21-11(let's just say average total), middle of the pack conference record, just getting in the tourney at a 50% as a lower seed and getting bounced in the first or second round. Then good for you guys.

By the way our average margin of defeat was 15 points this year. Might wanna close that gap as well.

My expectations are higher. I'm tired of hearing, if we get the right draw, if so and so loses we move up in Conference and the ever popular wait til next year or wait til this recruit gets here.

If you set low goals to achieve you can only achieve low goals.

MT Legend

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 18, 2018, 08:42:14 am
And if you are happy with that fine. But despite what many think not NCAA coach is hired to just make the tourney. I'll tell you my expectations straight out. I'm tired of hearing it could be worse. These are realistic expectations because the program has been there before and the state produces enough talent to be there.

You are aiming low if you don't at least expect this from our program.

A consistent top 25 program in the rankings. Again twice we have been ranked under MA. Once at seasons end and this year for a week.

Win the SEC regular season crown. Most years we are out of this race after the first two weeks of Conference play.

Win the SEC tourney.

Win some notable games against blue blood programs.

I'm fine with getting up and down the floor. But there is also a fundamental part to this game. We need to have it to take that next step.

Recruit retention. We shouldn't be having to fill rosters with Jucos and transfers. We have 6 seniors, 7 if Thomas hadn't been booted, and only two of those are 4 year guys.

Deeper runs in the tourney. Doesn't have to be every year. What good does making the tourney every year help when we aren't a threat in it. There is a reason Butler was a favorite as a 10 seed over us as a 7.

MA wins games, runs a clean program and is supposedly a great guy. I want him or whoever the coach is at Arkansas to do the things above. This program has been there before and can be again.

You'll notice I didn't mention a NC. Because if you are building to the expectations above there's a greater chance that an NC can happen.

But if you are happy with 21-11(let's just say average total), middle of the pack conference record, just getting in the tourney at a 50% as a lower seed and getting bounced in the first or second round. Then good for you guys.

By the way our average margin of defeat was 15 points this year. Might wanna close that gap as well.

My expectations are higher. I'm tired of hearing, if we get the right draw, if so and so loses we move up in Conference and the ever popular wait til next year or wait til this recruit gets here.

If you set low goals to achieve you can only achieve low goals.
i think what you just said here is every fans goals.its ok to dream big just don't dream to Big. and you want be so crushed when things don't go the way you Vision.look at buffalos roster. And Loyola's and umbc who wanted these players coming out of high school?

You set goals for your team and when those goals aren't met you come crashing down with them.

Everything you said I'm sure MA knows as well.he has been a winner everywhere he has been.he will find the answer to this and get us into position to play for a NC.

Winning in the NCAA tournament takes a special team that comes together as one.i still feel like we are missing a couple key parts.once we get those parts then the title run will come.

Trust the process.

bdubyab60

Quote from: MT Legend on March 18, 2018, 09:48:04 am
i think what you just said here is every fans goals.its ok to dream big just don't dream to Big. and you want be so crushed when things don't go the way you Vision.look at buffalos roster. And Loyola's and umbc who wanted these players coming out of high school?

You set goals for your team and when those goals aren't met you come crashing down with them.

Everything you said I'm sure MA knows as well.he has been a winner everywhere he has been.he will find the answer to this and get us into position to play for a NC.

Winning in the NCAA tournament takes a special team that comes together as one.i still feel like we are missing a couple key parts.once we get those parts then the title run will come.

Trust the process.
The process should have some sort of timeline though. This is a results based job and the results are not where the should be period.

We are 7 years in to this. An ok class coming in but by what I can tell not a program changer player in the bunch. If Gafford leaves this won't even be a bubble team.

I feel this is the ceiling with MA. He refuses to adjust for the most part and when he does it's a little too late.

We will be at another 2 years in to this process before another tourney appearance more than likely. Unless one or two of these kids turn out to be studs.

So forgive me if I'm a little untrusting oh this process that has resulted in average results

MT Legend

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 18, 2018, 11:26:54 am
The process should have some sort of timeline though. This is a results based job and the results are not where the should be period.

We are 7 years in to this. An ok class coming in but by what I can tell not a program changer player in the bunch. If Gafford leaves this won't even be a bubble team.

I feel this is the ceiling with MA. He refuses to adjust for the most part and when he does it's a little too late.

We will be at another 2 years in to this process before another tourney appearance more than likely. Unless one or two of these kids turn out to be studs.

So forgive me if I'm a little untrusting oh this process that has resulted in average results
jim Calhoun started at uconn in 1986.he did not win his first title till 1999 these things take time man.

Jacketman65

MA just recently had his contract extended, did he not?  It appears that he is going to be here for a while.  I don't know how the U of A can afford to buy out yet another contract!

cuckoobird

Yes i was suggesting he needs to be let go. Yes his contract was just extended so it would be hard to do that with a buyout. We are as good as we will ever be right now under MA

MT Legend

March 18, 2018, 05:08:33 pm #420 Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:10:58 pm by MT Legend
Quote from: cuckoobird on March 18, 2018, 05:03:26 pm
Yes i was suggesting he needs to be let go. Yes his contract was just extended so it would be hard to do that with a buyout. We are as good as we will ever be right now under MA
who you suggests we get? If of course the administration did indeed fire MA.

cuckoobird

Well we know he can't get it done so anyone else is worth the try

bdubyab60

Quote from: MT Legend on March 18, 2018, 01:56:26 pm
jim Calhoun started at uconn in 1986.he did not win his first title till 1999 these things take time man.
Yeah but he was winning conference titles and other meaningful games in that time period.

While MA is just winning, which is fine. But until this year the scheduling and the conference were pretty weak.

If he was anyone other than MA he would be gone by now.

bdubyab60

4 years in Calhoun was winning the Big East on the regular. Plus the Big East was one of the premier conferences in the NCAA.

Just 4 years in as well.

10× Big East regular season championships (1990, 1994–1996, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006)

MA has a second place finish I believe but really had no chance that year of winning the crown after the first few weeks of conference play

DerekOxford

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 19, 2018, 09:08:42 pm
4 years in Calhoun was winning the Big East on the regular. Plus the Big East was one of the premier conferences in the NCAA.

Just 4 years in as well.

10× Big East regular season championships (1990, 1994–1996, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006)

MA has a second place finish I believe but really had no chance that year of winning the crown after the first few weeks of conference play

That was also a Kentucky team that was 38-0 until they lost to Wisconsin.

Hogs that year would've shared this year's league title with that 13-5 mark.

bdubyab60

Quote from: DerekOxford on March 23, 2018, 10:37:39 pm
That was also a Kentucky team that was 38-0 until they lost to Wisconsin.

Hogs that year would've shared this year's league title with that 13-5 mark.
Well that was then and this is now. It's past time to get it done

bleudog

Think the Razorbacks could convert Sister Jean to the Baptist faith?

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on March 24, 2018, 06:01:16 pm

Yea I am starting to think they may an unstoppable force at Loyola. Incredible what they are still doing.

beach bum

March 24, 2018, 06:16:03 pm #428 Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:25:22 pm by beach bum
If Gafford comes back I am actually very optimistic for next year. We are forgetting that Garland may be medically cleared too in the coming months and he was almost as highly ranked coming out of high school as Gafford. I think I remember Gafford being about the #30 recruit and Garland the #50 if my memory serves me correct in the nation. Adding Garland to a decent incoming freshmen class could be enough to keep us solidly in the NCAA tournament. I am not talking about being a top 15 team or anything, but another solid season. Also, Jalen Harris will likely be the starting PG after sitting last year after becoming the starter at New Mexico his freshman year there and transferring here. He probably is not going to be a game changer, but a vital guard for depth and ball handling. That is a huge if, banking on we have Garland and Gafford. Garland is a big athletic body for his position he plays and I could see us being a much more balanced offensive team and having a way better defense. I am talking way better, fundamental defense if we have those guys on campus next year. I could see us in that 6-10 seed range again next year if things piece together well. If one or both those guys aren't here, well its not going to pretty next year stating the obvious.

bleudog

Quote from: beach bum on March 24, 2018, 06:10:36 pm
Yea I am starting to think they may an unstoppable force at Loyola. Incredible what they are still doing.

They're on a mission from God.

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/977702017278889984

Trojanbird

Quote from: bleudog on March 24, 2018, 06:01:16 pm
Rather than convert Sister Jean  ::),A ridiculous statement at best!  We should convert our coach!
It's what playing disciplined will get you!

bleudog

March 24, 2018, 08:41:09 pm #431 Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:52:32 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Trojanbird on March 24, 2018, 08:30:16 pm
Rather than convert Sister Jean  ::),A ridiculous statement at best!  We should convert our coach!
It's what playing disciplined will get you!

Lighten up TB.  BB got it.  ::)

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/977701604660056064

bleudog

Nice reference to Gafford in the EDNT:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on March 26, 2018, 05:11:45 pm
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/mar/26/daniel-gafford-will-return-arkansas-sophomore-seas/

Oh wow. Hogs fans must all rejoice with that news. As I stated above, if Garland can be medically cleared I see good things next year another NCAA tournament bid.

bdubyab60

bleudog

WPWells

beach bum

April 04, 2018, 08:39:01 pm #438 Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:40:37 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bleudog on April 04, 2018, 03:47:59 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/mike-anderson-announces-arkansas-will-lose-two-key-players-to-transfer

I am not sure those guys were going to be starters next year, but that is a loss of depth and key role players. Hall probably would have started to begin the year for sure but maybe one of those incoming freshmen was going to take his spot. CJ Jones just is not athletic enough to log huge minutes. If he was not knocking down three's he really was not worth a lot that game. This does raise a few eye brows though for sure. Makes you wonder....

bdubyab60

This is a concerning for a program that needs players to stay and develop. Possibly 8 new players for next year now

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on April 05, 2018, 09:31:03 pm
This is a concerning for a program that needs players to stay and develop. Possibly 8 new players for next year now

I have seen highlights of all the incoming freshmen, but today I finally got to see highlights of Jalen Harris. He has handles almost like I have ever seen before. Sometimes he tries to get a little too flashy imo, but he is light years the PG Beard ever was. We're getting an immediate upgrade at the PG position we have not seen in a bit. If he can get in the lane I can see a lot of lobs to Gafford and Henderson from him. We might have some guards who actually throw the bigs the balls lol.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: WPWells on April 04, 2018, 04:22:59 pm
Sometimes it's okay to say what the article says instead of linking an article.

Oh really?

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on April 05, 2018, 10:19:48 pm
I have seen highlights of all the incoming freshmen, but today I finally got to see highlights of Jalen Harris. He has handles almost like I have ever seen before. Sometimes he tries to get a little too flashy imo, but he is light years the PG Beard ever was. We're getting an immediate upgrade at the PG position we have not seen in a bit. If he can get in the lane I can see a lot of lobs to Gafford and Henderson from him. We might have some guards who actually throw the bigs the balls lol.
Yeah but then two more of them transfer again next year. That's the MA average right now. If these were bench guys transferring not such a big issue. But these are projected staters leaving

beach bum

Cj Jones was never going to be a starter at Arkansas..... I understand him leaving.

AirWarren

April 06, 2018, 12:45:58 pm #444 Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:53:39 pm by AirWarren
I like Mike. But the burner has been set to high. Much like it was with coach B coming off the VTECH loss.

Of note. The two greatest hog basketball coaches have been coach Sutton and coach Richardson.

In 11 years, coach Sutton has 9 20+ win seasons. Those all included trips to the big dance. A final four and 2 sweet 16.

In 17 years, coach Richardson had 12 20+ win seasons. He had 13 trips to the NCAA tourney. 1 national title, 1 runner up, 2 sweet 16s, and 1 elite 8. A magical time. He also had SEVERAL 1st round losses. 5 to be exact.

Coach Anderson has been at Arkansas 7 years. He has had 4 20+ win seasons. 3 trips to the NCAA Tourney. 2 first round losses and and one second round loss. And an NIT loss.

Right now. The top three coaches in our basketball history include:
1. Nolan Richardson.
2. Eddie Sutton.
3. Mike Anderson.

The rest...not even worth bringing up. We have been playing basketball for 94 years folks. 3 worthy coaches in 94 years. Let that sink in folks. 35 years and three coaches have produced for us. Sure, let's go after that hot up and comer again....

beach bum

April 06, 2018, 01:39:05 pm #445 Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:43:40 pm by beach bum
Quote from: AirWarren on April 06, 2018, 12:45:58 pm
I like Mike. But the burner has been set to high. Much like it was with coach B coming off the VTECH loss.

Of note. The two greatest hog basketball coaches have been coach Sutton and coach Richardson.

In 11 years, coach Sutton has 9 20+ win seasons. Those all included trips to the big dance. A final four and 2 sweet 16.

In 17 years, coach Richardson had 12 20+ win seasons. He had 13 trips to the NCAA tourney. 1 national title, 1 runner up, 2 sweet 16s, and 1 elite 8. A magical time. He also had SEVERAL 1st round losses. 5 to be exact.

Coach Anderson has been at Arkansas 7 years. He has had 4 20+ win seasons. 3 trips to the NCAA Tourney. 2 first round losses and and one second round loss. And an NIT loss.

Right now. The top three coaches in our basketball history include:
1. Nolan Richardson.
2. Eddie Sutton.
3. Mike Anderson.

The rest...not even worth bringing up. We have been playing basketball for 94 years folks. 3 worthy coaches in 94 years. Let that sink in folks. 35 years and three coaches have produced for us. Sure, let's go after that hot up and comer again....

Good stuff and good breakdown for every one to see. I may be in the minority here, but I think MA deserves more respect than he gets. Our program was crap when he got here. I heard sports talk list the roster we had his first year here and it was almost laughable to call that an SEC team. MA has got us to the NCAA tourney 3 of the last 4 years and competitive again. When I say I am in the minority I mean that I think he has earned the right to miss the tournament from time to time as much as some Arkansas fans don't want to admit that. We may just do that next year in 2018-2019 and I won't be calling for him fired. He'll then have more pressure in 2019-2020 obviously and then frustration will be merited if it stretches multiple seasons. The guy is doing just fine for a place like Fayetteville. I think you see it the same way too. All I know is with the guys we have coming in with the 3 we have left over from last year we will be playing way better defense immediately. I loved Macon, Barford, Beard, Thompson, and others but they did not play defense like is needed to go deep in tournaments.

AirWarren

In 94 years, we have had 13 coaches(glen rose twice and Dana Altman), and three have been worth a crap.

AirWarren

But hey!! We can land the next hot up and comer like Eugene Lambert, lanny van eman, Stan Heath and ole Pel.

cuckoobird

Francis Smhidt and glen rose were better than Anderson

bleudog

April 06, 2018, 03:25:10 pm #449 Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:03:05 pm by bleudog
Quote from: cuckoobird on April 06, 2018, 03:19:00 pm
Francis Smhidt and glen rose were better than Anderson

But ol' Anderson probably makes as much in one year as all the coaches made for the first 40 or 50 years combined.  With great compensation come great responsibility/expectations.  ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas