• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is school choice having an affect on the athletic field.

Started by bearbacker52, July 24, 2017, 11:12:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JC Guy

Quote from: old.dole on July 25, 2017, 09:10:47 pm
This is obviously a sensitive subject. I'm just playing the odds and they are in my favor most of the time. If you really look at he probably was Caucasian. Could have not been but probably was.
I'm not upset and I am not really trying to call you out but I do feel we all need to be responsible in what we say on here and in life in general. When I said if they had moved to PC when the kids are older things would have gone down the same I meant that. I do agree with you that it often happens the way you describe it but flip the coin and say a predominately white district invites kids of color to exercise school choice and the kid just happens to be a great athlete. I'm just saying every situation doesn't fit into one mold. I will never forget helping coach my sons peewee team and one of the parents I knew from a team my son had played for before came up to me before a game with a smug grin and told me they had a little surprise for us today. Well his surprise was a very gifted kid of color and it didn't help them that day. That kid went on to help them win a lot of games in that community that they never win without him. Just reinforced why two parents would move kids out of a district with what was at the time supposedly a much better academic school.

BigBob

SC doesn't just benefit white students. I've seen several cases in our area of African American, Pacific Islander, even a few Hispanics greatly benefit from it. Educationally and athletically. The color of the skin should not and does not matter. It's all
About what's in their hearts, and heads and really them wanting to better themselves, and if going to a different school does that, then I'm all for it.

JC Guy

Quote from: BigBob on July 25, 2017, 10:14:56 pm
SC doesn't just benefit white students. I've seen several cases in our area of African American, Pacific Islander, even a few Hispanics greatly benefit from it. Educationally and athletically. The color of the skin should not and does not matter. It's all
About what's in their hearts, and heads and really them wanting to better themselves, and if going to a different school does that, then I'm all for it.
Well said.

gooze55

sooooooooooo why sooooooo hard on Hampton QB  last year on the choice his parents made.....  they visited everybody n there conf.   Hampton it was...........    but like he said( well said) but do u mean it......

bearbacker52

Quote from: gooze55 on July 26, 2017, 12:41:13 am
sooooooooooo why sooooooo hard on Hampton QB  last year on the choice his parents made.....  they visited everybody n there conf.   Hampton it was...........    but like he said( well said) but do u mean it......
Quote from: JC Guy on July 25, 2017, 09:41:05 pm
I'm not upset and I am not really trying to call you out but I do feel we all need to be responsible in what we say on here and in life in general. When I said if they had moved to PC when the kids are older things would have gone down the same I meant that. I do agree with you that it often happens the way you describe it but flip the coin and say a predominately white district invites kids of color to exercise school choice and the kid just happens to be a great athlete. I'm just saying every situation doesn't fit into one mold. I will never forget helping coach my sons peewee team and one of the parents I knew from a team my son had played for before came up to me before a game with a smug grin and told me they had a little surprise for us today. Well his surprise was a very gifted kid of color and it didn't help them that day. That kid went on to help them win a lot of games in that community that they never win without him. Just reinforced why two parents would move kids out of a district with what was at the time supposedly a much better academic school.

What would you respond to all the kids leaving el dorado, with the el dorado promise in hand to go to pc. Not sure of these numbers, but i think like old dole was saying. Parents want to control the social enviroment, of where their kids go...No way pc is a better academically than E D...

JC Guy

Quote from: bearbacker52 on July 26, 2017, 12:50:53 am
What would you respond to all the kids leaving el dorado, with the el dorado promise in hand to go to pc. Not sure of these numbers, but i think like old dole was saying. Parents want to control the social enviroment, of where their kids go...No way pc is a better academically than E D...
I'm not totally sure of the academic numbers now but in the not so distant past PC ranked well above Eldorado academically. And let's start with I didn't get the same thing out of what Ole Dole wrote that you did evidently. What I got was whites use it to bolt and be with whites. My point was people of all colors use it for different reasons and as long as its legal who are we to judge? The quote attached above from G55 was a different issue than school choice also. What this young man was attacked about was the moving policy. If you were around on this site a year ago I was put in time out for defending this young man from people bashing him.

PapaHog

I think both of you are right about what Dole is saying. Unfortunately i do think that in some cases race plays a part in it, but I saw at the same time, I saw a video of a huge fight in the office at Hope High school last year. That's the culture you want to get away from. The "social environment." So Hope kids school choice to Spring Hill (that's the only other school in the county, right?) or I'm sure some go to the christian school. I think it is less about academics and more about the culture parents are putting their children in.

bearbacker52

Quote from: PapaHog on July 26, 2017, 10:03:21 am
I think both of you are right about what Dole is saying. Unfortunately i do think that in some cases race plays a part in it, but I saw at the same time, I saw a video of a huge fight in the office at Hope High school last year. That's the culture you want to get away from. The "social environment." So Hope kids school choice to Spring Hill (that's the only other school in the county, right?) or I'm sure some go to the christian school. I think it is less about academics and more about the culture parents are putting their children in.

Did not know about fight in Hope Office..Well as a parent I want my child to be as safe as possible, would not really care what he she it said.

gooze55

Quote from: bearbacker52 on July 26, 2017, 11:04:54 am
Did not know about fight in Hope Office..Well as a parent I want my child to be as safe as possible, ((((( would not really care what he she it said.)))))))))     lol what r u trying to say at the end??????  yall talking about me WOW( he need some milk lol)

old.dole

bearbacker52

JC Guy

old.dole

bearbacker52

Quote from: JC Guy on July 26, 2017, 08:10:37 pm
Things have gotten strange!

Just messing with gooze, that cherry has not earned his stripes yet.

old.dole

Not gonna lie I have been extremely impressed with goozes research or ark 2a football. He not only knows the players and teams but he knows where the parents work as well. And he has never even stepped foot in the state of Arkansas. I'm very impressed

JC Guy

Quote from: old.dole on July 26, 2017, 09:05:50 pm
Not gonna lie I have been extremely impressed with goozes research or ark 2a football. He not only knows the players and teams but he knows where the parents work as well. And he has never even stepped foot in the state of Arkansas. I'm very impressed
Yeah I noticed that my self. I can't put my finger on him as someone we know because I can't decipher most of what he writes.😳

gooze55

dummy he was the top 3 player n Arkansas u don't thank it was world wide lol      it was world wide the way  YALL TALK ABOUT THE CHILD N THE SCHOOL .( that crazy)  because a young man transfer really u made Arkansas  look petty

gooze55

Quote from: JC Guy on July 26, 2017, 09:36:59 pm
Yeah I noticed that my self. I can't put my finger on him as someone we know because I can't decipher most of what he writes.😳
but we know who u are soooo  go get your nails done or sumthing  ms lady

JC Guy

Quote from: gooze55 on July 26, 2017, 11:41:56 pm
    but we know who u are soooo  go get your nails done or sumthing  ms lady
You know a good salon?

gooze55

old.dole

I didnt know that where the parents worked was world wide information

gooze55

Quote from: old.dole on July 27, 2017, 12:31:26 pm
I didnt know that where the parents worked was world wide information
little dude go play lol who said sumthing about parent work place  yall are funny

old.dole

You said in another thread that a kids mom was a teacher at Hampton and now has a job in magnolia. Do I still need to go play?

gooze55

Quote from: old.dole on July 27, 2017, 01:21:32 pm
You said in another thread that a kids mom was a teacher at Hampton and now has a job in magnolia. Do I still need to go play?
SHE WAS LOOK UP HAMPTON HIGH SCHOOL PUNK SHE WAS A TEACHER THERE  LOL             YEP GO PLAY LIL DUDE

gooze55

BEARBEAKER52  THEY R HOST A PROGRAM N CAMDEN THAT CLOSE TO U RITE.........MAYBE U CAN GO THERE TO SHED OFF SOME POUNDS BECAUSE YOUR  JESERY GETTING LITTLE YOUNG      ( PAYTON # 34 )

big E

old.dole

So how did you know her name to be able to look her up?

bobthebuilder

Quote from: big E on July 27, 2017, 05:03:58 pm
This thread getting a little strange even for me.
I think we took a left turn at strange and are headed for somewhere else.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: bearbacker52 on July 26, 2017, 11:04:54 am
Did not know about fight in Hope Office..Well as a parent I want my child to be as safe as possible, would not really care what he she it said.

Perfectly reasonable for a parent to want to move a child from a situation where this is happening.  I talk to friends all the time where they are not happy with the conduct of some students in schools and even less happy with the actions taken by school officials to control that behavior.  I don't think it is an isolated type of event in some of our schools.  Like all situations in society today, we seem to want to make excuses for things gone wrong instead of take strong action to fix them.  IMO.

old.dole

School culture is what we allow it to be. We as parents have to allow school officials to take the action needed to make ours schools what they need to be to where parents don't feel the need tk want to move their kids. We also have to have school officials that aren't afraid to make a few parents mad and do what's best for the students and the school as a whole. I'm against school choice but there are certain schools that I wouldn't want my kid in. As far as hope was this an isolated incident or a repeat thing? I would hate for the actions of a few paint an incorrect picture what is actually going on at that school. Anyone from that area that can clarify on this incident?

footballfan-tastic

Oh, wouldn't it be nice if school officials were willing to do what is best for the school as a whole? Think $$$$ and politics.

bearbacker52

Now a daze its parents n students against the teacher, when justvyears ago the parents worked with teachers to educate the students. Now teachers have watch ever step they make in order not to pee of lil jeromes mom

Lions84

Quote from: jbtiger73 on July 24, 2017, 04:31:26 pm
Brinkley is also losing students to McCrory as well. And even a couple to Des Arc before as well. We're definitely suffering. What's weird is, is that it's not like our school is raggedy or broken down looking. We actually have a great looking school, inside and out. People will say it's the education all day long. But I know most of those kids. And they admit that it's strictly for Athletics. And honestly, I just say that if all of you were to stay, there's no telling how good we could be in our own town. I couldn't ever live with myself, and put on Patriot or Jaguar colors, and live in the town of Brinkley, and be cool with it. ZERO community loyalty is what it boils down to. In my personal opinion.

Yes we had so many chose Hazen that they run 2 buses to Clarendon!.

RiverEagle079

why choose hazen they are the armpit of prairie county lol  ;D

jbtiger73

HG Hornet

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on July 28, 2017, 07:56:24 pm
Oh, wouldn't it be nice if school officials were willing to do what is best for the school as a whole? Think $$$$ and politics.
I'll agree with that 100%, and then some!

Wildcat_Booster

Quote from: JC Guy on July 26, 2017, 08:51:51 am
I'm not totally sure of the academic numbers now but in the not so distant past PC ranked well above Eldorado academically. And let's start with I didn't get the same thing out of what Ole Dole wrote that you did evidently. What I got was whites use it to bolt and be with whites. My point was people of all colors use it for different reasons and as long as its legal who are we to judge? The quote attached above from G55 was a different issue than school choice also. What this young man was attacked about was the moving policy. If you were around on this site a year ago I was put in time out for defending this young man from people bashing him.

Just to clarify, PC has never been better than EL Dorado Academically. PC is 92% White and El Dorado is 54% African American. The test scores at PC, yes, are higher but your not comparing apples to apples. El Do has several sub groups that PC doesn't have and they have 3500 students compared to 800? El Do has to count the mentally challenged in the sub group as far as test scores are concerned. You can check the test scores from the State Dept of Education and they have them in groups then they have them broke down white-white-Mexican-Mexican, black-black and El Do white students out perform the white students by a pretty good margin. Look at the News Times Scholar Athlete awards. EL Do representative always has at least a 4.3 or higher and the last 3 years PC has had a 4.0.4.1 and a 3.9. So lets really do a fair comparison. I agree that its a good school as well as the Smackover district, and the students that transfer to PC from El Do are black students and 80% of them are back at El Do by the semester.

big E

MomaLion

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on August 01, 2017, 06:43:02 pm
Actually most of our lost kids go to Marvell Academy.

baseball13

Quote from: Wildcat_Booster on August 02, 2017, 03:30:28 am
Just to clarify, PC has never been better than EL Dorado Academically. PC is 92% White and El Dorado is 54% African American. The test scores at PC, yes, are higher but your not comparing apples to apples. El Do has several sub groups that PC doesn't have and they have 3500 students compared to 800? El Do has to count the mentally challenged in the sub group as far as test scores are concerned. You can check the test scores from the State Dept of Education and they have them in groups then they have them broke down white-white-Mexican-Mexican, black-black and El Do white students out perform the white students by a pretty good margin. Look at the News Times Scholar Athlete awards. EL Do representative always has at least a 4.3 or higher and the last 3 years PC has had a 4.0.4.1 and a 3.9. So lets really do a fair comparison. I agree that its a good school as well as the Smackover district, and the students that transfer to PC from El Do are black students and 80% of them are back at El Do by the semester.

The ELDO kids have more AP classes then PC does so therefore they will have a higher GPA because AP is on a 5point scale.

purpleswag

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on August 01, 2017, 06:43:02 pm

I would rather go to the armpit of prairie than the rear of Monroe.

big E

Hey just send them to PW we are going to build a 20 million dollar school complex starting in October. We'll have plenty of room.

big E

But only if you can run a 4-5 or better , can jump out if the gym and shoot like Jordon or can throw 92 mph and bat 600.

Lions84

Quote from: MomaLion on August 02, 2017, 05:27:07 am
Actually most of our lost kids go to Marvell Academy.

Wow where are they getting the money to pay for MA?

MomaLion

I don't know but many of our students go there starting in 7th grade.

RiverEagle079

Quote from: big E on August 02, 2017, 07:22:10 pm
Hey just send them to PW we are going to build a 20 million dollar school complex starting in October. We'll have plenty of room.
20 million huh guess we should step our game up and build a new HS too lol.

NA you could spend 20 million on the football field and it still wouldn't look as good as Des Arc's.

big E

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on August 03, 2017, 05:29:42 pm
20 million huh guess we should step our game up and build a new HS too lol.

NA you could spend 20 million on the football field and it still wouldn't look as good as Des Arc's.
New field is gonna be turf.

mtindian42

RiverEagle079

Quote from: big E on August 04, 2017, 05:19:23 am
New field is gonna be turf.
lol so 19,995,000 on turf and 5 thousand for new boards to put on the visitors stands lol im just messing BIGGIE E  8)

Lions84

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas