• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4A summer activity and season outlook.

Started by nuttinbuthogs, July 15, 2017, 07:44:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: beach bum on August 04, 2017, 03:04:21 pm
Did it finally get moved to a Hootens Kickoff game? If so, then its about time. That would just be my guess.

Doubtful, it's still being played at Farmington.

beach bum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 04, 2017, 03:25:43 pm
Doubtful, it's still being played at Farmington.

Then my wishful thinking went down the drain.... I was hoping we would steal a home game from them. Even when Farmington is average the last 5 years they give us trouble.

nuttinbuthogs

Do you think its because Farmington plays up or maybe the Tigers let down a little?

beach bum

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on August 04, 2017, 07:00:16 pm
Do you think its because Farmington plays up or maybe the Tigers let down a little?

I think Farmington matches up well from a stand point they play the Wing T as good as anybody and Farmington just has more athletes on defense than the majority of the 1-4A plus they come into that fired up having the first game be a rivalry... Farmington's defense is good enough to get them a playoff spot as a 3 or 4 seed in the 5A West, but they just don't have the offense to get them in the postseason. Usually it only takes 21 to 28 points to win the PG vs Farmington rivalry game its just a sludge fest of a game.

nuttinbuthogs

Just curious, how often has Farmington won that game?

beach bum

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on August 04, 2017, 07:19:06 pm
Just curious, how often has Farmington won that game?

It is fairly one sided in Prairie Grove's favor. When PG went on a little downhill slide in the late 2000's Farmington won slightly more than PG did.... Maybe 60% as a guess. Outside of that PG has dominated the last two decades. Farmington did get them in PG's state runner up year which looking back was a shocker. Even the year PG went to the semifinals in 2012 and Farmington was just average PG held on barely and last year was a tight game too in PG's semifinal run.

bilboswaggins

Quote from: beach bum on August 04, 2017, 07:31:40 pm
It is fairly one sided in Prairie Grove's favor. When PG went on a little downhill slide in the late 2000's Farmington won slightly more than PG did.... Maybe 60% as a guess. Outside of that PG has dominated the last two decades. Farmington did get them in PG's state runner up year which looking back was a shocker. Even the year PG went to the semifinals in 2012 and Farmington was just average PG held on barely and last year was a tight game too in PG's semifinal run.

Last years game was tight? Please enlighten us.

beach bum

Quote from: bilboswaggins on August 04, 2017, 07:40:10 pm
Last years game was tight? Please enlighten us.

When you only lose one game all season yes anything under 3 scores I consider the other team putting up a pretty good fight....

RZback

Less than a week for some pre season games to start up and then its the season.  How are teams looking at this point?  Any new developments? Are any of the teams in the bottom of the conference going to make a move?  What about Berryville, new coach?Haven't seen many posts from fans in the 1-4A.  How are you teams looking?

dukes424

Pumped and looking forward to the next few months, the Ridge is looking good we just got back one of our best D Line players as well which is huge. Go Hawks! 

Trojanball24

Lincoln, Hunstville, and Gentry will all be better than what people think. PG, SC, and Gravette better watch out

RZback

Those teams would almost have to do better than what some people think.  The smart money says it will be a dog fight to stay out of last place. The bigger question is can the new coach at Berryville do anything with them.

nuttinbuthogs

Who in the 1-4A is playing benefit games this week?

prHOG13

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on August 22, 2017, 11:31:00 am
Who in the 1-4A is playing benefit games this week?
Pea Ridge hosts Siloam Springs tonight

the green moose

West Fork is Hosting Lincoln right now. Lincoln is up 14-0 at half

prHOG13

Pea Ridge hosted Siloam Springs for their scrimmage tonight. Pea Ridge won 25-14 in the 2nd half. The "first half" each varsity team ran 12 offensive plays each and then the JV squads ran some plays, and then they did a goal line period. The "2nd half" was two 12 minute quarters. So, not a full game... but still got to see a lot of looks from both squads.

A few Pea Ridge offensive stats:

Drew Winn had 10 carries for 252 yards and 2 TD's
Hayden Holtgrewe had 5 catches for 128 yards and 2 TD's
Jakota Sainsbury was 12-16 for 194 yards and 3 TD's with 1 INT
Jordan Witcher had 5 catches for 53 yards and 1 TD

The offense looked really good. Defense had some ups and downs, but they didn't play anyone both ways right now... so a lot of new faces getting some experience.

Excited for the season to start on Monday.

x14113

Huntsville has some kinks they need to work out if they are to clinch a second-straight berth.

In their scrimmage, they did not run one play out of the flexbone, instead running read options from the shotgun. (In warmups, they ran a play out of the Spread-I, FWIW.) They had a few good plays on offense, but they'll need several more, because that defense seemed all but nonexistent. Ozark scored on six of nine possessions (including their first five) and never punted, with the Eagles giving up big plays in the air and on the ground.

It got to the point where the Hillbillies put in the backups (who had already run through their scripted plays to start the evening) after their sixth TD, at which point the Eagles scored their only TD. The scrimmage was called before the end of the 2Q when Huntsville's #17 was helped off the field after he was blown up by an Ozark runner. (I'm glad we didn't need an ambulance for that one.)

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: the green moose on August 22, 2017, 07:41:56 pm
West Fork is Hosting Lincoln right now. Lincoln is up 14-0 at half

How did that finish, any recap?

Trojanball24

Lincoln will make the playoffs this year!

RZback

If your opinion is based on West Fork you realize they were 1-9 last year and I don't think there was an expectation of a huge turnaround.  So you saw the scrimmage and thought that Lincoln looked pretty good?

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on August 23, 2017, 03:38:27 pm
If your opinion is based on West Fork you realize they were 1-9 last year and I don't think there was an expectation of a huge turnaround.  So you saw the scrimmage and thought that Lincoln looked pretty good?

West Fork is going 1-9 again only thanks to win vs. Subiaco again...... If they were in the 1-4A they would be 0-10. They would even lose to Berryville and Gentry. They have certainly fallen on hard times.

the green moose

West Fork has improved tremendously this year. It helps having an actual quarterback. They'll be at least competitive this year but honestly West Fork is a 3A school, they don't have the numbers to compete in the 4A. They had 20 dressed out last night. The Moose is hoping for upsets against Greenland and Elkins but Subiaco is most likely their only chance of winning a conference game.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: the green moose on August 23, 2017, 08:28:23 pm
West Fork has improved tremendously this year. It helps having an actual quarterback. They'll be at least competitive this year but honestly West Fork is a 3A school, they don't have the numbers to compete in the 4A. They had 20 dressed out last night. The Moose is hoping for upsets against Greenland and Elkins but Subiaco is most likely their only chance of winning a conference game.

This does not sound like tremendously improved. You only expect the one victory over Subi?   

RZback

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on August 29, 2017, 04:54:10 pm
This does not sound like tremendously improved. You only expect the one victory over Subi?

West Fork is struggling and didn't look too good in the scrimmage.  Hopefully they will improve as the season goes on. 

nuttinbuthogs

West Fork played Lincoln in the scrimmage and Lincoln did very well.  I don't know if that says alot until we see how each team does during the season, but Lincoln is expected to do really well and be back in the playoffs.

RZback

NBH, how do you see the game tonight, Lincoln or Westville?  I saw you picked Lincoln earlier by a big score, still see it that way?

nuttinbuthogs

4AWhistler

September 01, 2017, 10:57:18 pm #77 Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:00:14 pm by 4AWhistler
Lincoln over Westville 18-7.

RZback

Well, missed that one. I'd heard Westville was up and coming this season. Oh well.

prHOG13

dangit Gravette... blew our shot at being undefeated as a conference week 1. Ozark is tough though

Glad to get through that week with a couple wins and to have some time to heal up. This week was hard on the Blackhawks.

nuttinbuthogs

results of the conference
Ozark by 3 over Gravette
Pea Ridge by 20 over Hamburg, PR by 10 over Booneville
Lincoln by 11 over Westville
Gentry by 50 over Lavaca
Berryville by 61 over Decatur
Prairie Grove by 23 over Farmington
Huntsville by 24 over Green Forest
Shiloh by 32 over Elkins

RZback

Good to get wins, Pea Ridge got the biggest wins with Shiloh and Prairie Grove getting solid but expected wins.  Rest of the field got the wins against not too good talent. Will be hard to judge the conference until play against a few more solid teams.

nuttinbuthogs

What was the overall view of the lincoln westville game.  I thought the wolves would win by more.  Except for Whistler there just are no lincoln fans anymore.

4AWhistler

September 03, 2017, 04:02:40 am #83 Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 04:04:35 am by 4AWhistler
Westville had a couple starters benched for the game: reasons unknown to me.  With Lincoln' former asstant coach and OC, Dorton, at the helm, you can expect to see more of a spread offense and quicker play.  As soon as the players learn his and Forge's  (another former Lincoln assistant) system, the fans should see a lot of improvement over Friday's play. #1 is a quick little RB and can take a hard hit and bounce right back.  Passing game was nil, but might have to attribute that to not having the starting QB in, and cramping was an issue for both teams.  The helicopter landing at midfield to deliver the game ball was a nice touch.

Lincoln is fielding several Sophmores in key positions, but are lead by Lloyd, a Senior, who moves to QB this year.  Umberson made the most of his height and caught a few spectacular catches.  His catches were complimented with carries by the RB, Anderson who will see a lot more playing time this year due to Lloyd's change in position.  The defense has a good secondary, and were able to break up several long passes during the game, and I suspect they are going to be tested as the season progresses.

Lincoln opens on their new turf next Friday, so we'll see how that plays out.

nuttinbuthogs

I did think Lincoln would win this but sure thought it would be by more points and against a struggling team that has fallen off just a bit in the last couple of year. Wolves will need to get the offense cranked up before conference time.  Westville and Coach Dorton have some work to do for sure.

nuttinbuthogs

Is Lincolns new field ready for Friday game?

cuckoobird

No, at The moment, games only can be played on Thursday and Tuesday

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 05, 2017, 12:21:15 pm
No, at The moment, games only can be played on Thursday and Tuesday

HUH? I don't understand.

4AWhistler

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on September 05, 2017, 11:54:04 am
Is Lincolns new field ready for Friday game?
Yes, the field is ready, and will be used for the first home game this Friday.  Field house is ready, also.  It's nice to see an empty building finally being put to use!

RZback

Took them a while to get that field house done, sure hope the plumbing works.

nuttinbuthogs

cuckoobird

Pee Ridge posters will still think they are world beaters even though the inevitable annual beatdown by PG is nearing more each day.

prHOG13

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 07, 2017, 02:30:41 pm
Pee Ridge posters will still think they are world beaters even though the inevitable annual beatdown by PG is nearing more each day.
Thanks for thinking about us, beach bum

dukes424

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 07, 2017, 02:30:41 pm
cuckobird is a shi* talking machine - the machine lol

beach bum

Quote from: prHOG13 on September 07, 2017, 03:00:45 pm
Thanks for thinking about us, beach bum

Great minds do think alike  ;D .... Prairie Grove 40 Pee Ridge 20

RZback

That's gonna be a game about either finesse vs physcical or can PR ralley up and play more physically than expected. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas