• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

8AA 2017

Started by SOUTHARK99, April 13, 2017, 05:58:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rida4Life

I wish the Hampton posters would learn to use punctuation.  It's getting really hard to decipher their posts.

It is different... a charter across state lines, school choice, and a rural school district are all separate issues.  I won't waste time explaining them to the HermDogs because they won't get it anyway.

dawgpound

Just bc I don't use punctuation marks on ff that means I'm not smart it's to much trouble to go back and forth on my phone to use them but I do wish you would explain how it is so different to all of us

HorseFeathers

Quote from: dawgpound on May 05, 2017, 10:53:25 am
How is any of it different than school of choice here in Arkansas it's not there are 4 different schools who run busses into Calhoun county to pick kids up

Cause the Louisiana kids are actually the offspring of the x men

Dr. Defense

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 05, 2017, 02:25:31 pm
Cause the Louisiana kids are actually the offspring of the x men

😂😂😂

JC Guy

Quote from: dawgpound on May 05, 2017, 10:53:25 am
How is any of it different than school of choice here in Arkansas it's not there are 4 different schools who run busses into Calhoun county to pick kids up
Exactly. PC has pulled a few kids from Eldorado correct?

eldofan

That would be correct

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: Rida4Life on May 05, 2017, 09:33:51 am
You TOTALLY missed my point.  I know there is no reason on earth for Haynesville athletes to ever want to come to PC... just comparing that scenario to JC and the kids they get.

logistically speaking, it would be much harder for a student from Haynesville to commute to J.C. than let's say a Lilly, La kid like Byran Jones, therefor the comparison is illogical. Worked out pretty good for Byran though! 

NWA Hawg

Quote from: JC Guy on May 05, 2017, 07:31:30 pm

Got a ton of the white kids from strong.

JC Guy

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on May 06, 2017, 04:30:09 am
logistically speaking, it would be much harder for a student from Haynesville to commute to J.C. than let's say a Lilly, La kid like Byran Jones, therefor the comparison is illogical. Worked out pretty good for Byran though!
Didn't know highway 9 went to Lilly but what ever.

bleudog

May 06, 2017, 08:44:17 pm #59 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:08:33 pm by bleudog
Quote from: JC Guy on May 05, 2017, 07:31:30 pm

Quote from: eldofan on May 05, 2017, 09:29:17 pm
That would be correct

That became part of the PC playbook years ago. 

The following post was from 2010 and MH was Murmil Heights:

Quote from: xtremewildcat on October 01, 2010, 04:01:17 pm
Hey everyone, especially you Gate, the future is now!!!!
Five of the kids on PC's team live a few blocks from my house in MH.
Taylor(lives on my street a couple blocks down)
Evans(lives a few blocks down)
Fitzgerald(lives one street over)
Ford(one street over)
One other kid that I don't know.

It use to bother me when "our" kids would go out there. However, I was told that Mr Gross and everyone out there treat the kids very good.........

bleudog

May 07, 2017, 08:17:59 am #60 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:15:40 am by bleudog
Quote from: Rida4Life on May 05, 2017, 07:55:21 am
Which is totally fair if you ask me.  The charter they have for the Louisiana kids gives them an unfair advantage and should make them be treated more like a private school. 
I mean, can you imagine if PC got a charter to get 30 kids from Claiborne parish?  Go down to Haynesville and pluck 30 kids.... you can't tell me that would be fair... but it's basically what JC does.

From the Type Two Charter Application for the Northeast Claiborne Charter:

"The students NECC proposes to serve reside in or near Junction City, Louisiana.  Just as this application proposal is unique, the geography of the region is also unique.  Junction City is located at the Louisiana/ Arkansas border in the very center of both states. The school plant is a mere three tenths of a mile from the state border.  Sixty percent of the northeast Claiborne Parish students attending school in Junction City live within one mile of the school.  The rest reside within five miles."

http://cowen-institute.tulane.edu/sites/g/files/rdw511/files/library/2014/01/Northeast-Claiborne-Charter-School-Claiborne.pdf   (page 15)

JC Guy

Quote from: bleudog on May 07, 2017, 08:17:59 am
"The students NECC proposes to serve reside in or near Junction City, Louisiana.  Just as this application proposal is unique, the geography of the region is also unique.  Junction City is located at the Louisiana/ Arkansas border in the very center of both states. The school plant is a mere three tenths of a mile from the state border.  Sixty percent of the northeast Claiborne Parish students attending school in Junction City live within one mile of the school.  The rest reside within five miles."

http://cowen-institute.tulane.edu/sites/g/files/rdw511/files/library/2014/01/Northeast-Claiborne-Charter-School-Claiborne.pdf   (page 15)
Now they will say we have been cheating since 1929. Can't win arguments with bone heads!

bobthebuilder

Quote from: Rida4Life on May 05, 2017, 12:47:44 pm
I wish the Hampton posters would learn to use punctuation.  It's getting really hard to decipher their posts.

It is different... a charter across state lines, school choice, and a rural school district are all separate issues.  I won't waste time explaining them to the HermDogs because they won't get it anyway.
With my diminished mental capacity, I can't be sure, but I think this guy just called posters from Hampton stupid.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Rida4Life on May 05, 2017, 12:47:44 pm

State lines are arbitrarily drawn by the government....and if we're gonna go by that, you're saying that any kids that live in the Louisiana side of junction City, should ride a bus 20 miles away instead of going to the school a few blocks over...

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 08, 2017, 10:13:33 am
State lines are arbitrarily drawn by the government....and if we're gonna go by that, you're saying that any kids that live in the Louisiana side of junction City, should ride a bus 20 miles away instead of going to the school a few blocks over...

I don't think I people realize that the state line literally goes right through downtown JC....

The closest school from that side of town is 25 miles away to Haynesville.

If you go by what he said then that puts the LA kids getting home 4:30-5:00pm if they road a bus.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 08, 2017, 01:23:06 pm
I don't think I people realize that the state line literally goes right through downtown JC....

The closest school from that side of town is 25 miles away to Haynesville.

If you go by what he said then that puts the LA kids getting home 4:30-5:00pm if they road a bus.

Or don't care because Louisiana kids that go to junction City were the inspiration for marvel and d.c superheroes

bleudog

May 08, 2017, 04:44:07 pm #66 Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:37:01 pm by bleudog
I appreciate you two gentlemen being the voices of reason.  Here are a few pictures to illustrate the geography for those less inclined to reason.

Distances from JC (according to Google Maps campus-to-campus) to:
  Summerfield (Claiborne Parish) - 11 miles
  Homer - 28 Miles (Claiborne Parish)
  Haynesville - 32 miles (Claiborne Parish)
  Farmervile - 30 mile (Union Parish)

Claiborne has no public schools other than those listed.  I think the Claiborne Parish School Board and Administration's closing the school in Lisbon or Athens took place about the time they voted to end the agreement with JC, AR.  Summerfield would be the option for the JC, LA Ward 9 kids if they couldn't go to JC, AR.

I think Union Parish is down to one school having closed schools in Lillie (not shown on the map but where the road to Spearsville meets Hwy 167), Spearsville and Bernice.  Farmerville is where the kids in JC, LA east of 167 would be assigned if they couldn't go to JC, AR.

This is a closer view of the Junction - Summerfield geographic relationship.  Summerfield is a smaller school with somewhere around 300 student K-12.  So less than half the size of JC, AR with less academic, athletic and other extra curricula options.  One of the big concerns both the Ward 9 parents and the Summerfield administration had was the logistics of Summerfield growing by around 33% in one year.  Would that growth cause Claiborne Parish Board and Administration to reassign some Summerfield students to Homer to make room for the JC kids or was the Board/Administration's ultimate goal to close Summerfield as they had closed Lisbon. 

For you history buffs, the circle between the two communities is what I understood started the arrangement about 100 years ago.  It's were I was told Ward 9 ends.  There is about a quarter mile long bridge there now, but at that time there wasn't.  The folks at that time saw the wisdom of letting the JC, LA kids go a few blocks to school at JC, AR instead of building a school in JC, LA or busing them clear around thru Bernice.  Hwy 167 roughly divides Union and Claiborne Parishes so letting them stop in Bernice to go to school was even less politically appealing to Claiborne.

And there's not a heavy population density in that green area.  It's part of the Kisatchie National Forest.

And this one shows that the southern edge of the JC campus is about four or five blocks from the state line.  Google labeled the administration offices, the campus expands a few blocks south of the JC circle.

And HF, I've got no pictures of Wilson's bus that picks up the LA Tech redshirts on Friday night, or his plane that picks up those New Orleans kids.  He might tell you where the airfield is, but then he'd have to kill you.  ;)

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: dawgpound on May 04, 2017, 09:18:31 pm
Word on the street is junction has or is protesting their move and trying to come back down

JC found out life is easier in 2A.
Rison moving up, just looking at geography it looks like Rison's new conference could have Junction, Dollarway, McGehee, CHG, Smackover, Lake Village and one more that I am forgetting at the moment. Could be a pretty stout conference.

JC Guy

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on May 09, 2017, 05:24:28 pm
Rison moving up, just looking at geography it looks like Rison's new conference could have Junction, Dollarway, McGehee, CHG, Smackover, Lake Village and one more that I am forgetting at the moment. Could be a pretty stout conference.
I wouldn't say that was the case. JC had a lot of distractions last year and still held its own. Make no mistake if you are comparing the past couple of years to the truly speacial teams that went back to back to back then you are comparing apples to oranges. You would be shocked to know how many players from those teams either went on to play or had the opportunity to play at the next level. Those teams would have been at the top of the heap in 3A year in and year out.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on May 09, 2017, 05:24:28 pm

The other one isn't worth mentioning.... 

Drew central.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: JC Guy on May 09, 2017, 06:41:19 pm
I wouldn't say that was the case. JC had a lot of distractions last year and still held its own. Make no mistake if you are comparing the past couple of years to the truly speacial teams that went back to back to back then you are comparing apples to oranges. You would be shocked to know how many players from those teams either went on to play or had the opportunity to play at the next level. Those teams would have been at the top of the heap in 3A year in and year out.

Rison 'held it's own' in 3A for a couple of cycles as well, at least in conference play. However, when you go from one of the biggest schools in a classification to one of the smallest, it really starts to catch up with you in the playoffs.

bleudog

May 09, 2017, 08:59:40 pm #71 Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:58:36 am by bleudog
Quote from: WonderWartHawg on May 09, 2017, 08:42:36 pm
Rison 'held it's own' in 3A for a couple of cycles as well, at least in conference play. However, when you go from one of the biggest schools in a classification to one of the smallest, it really starts to catch up with you in the playoffs.

When a school goes from one of the bigger schools in a classification to one that doesn't have enough students to belong in the larger classification, holding its own is even more of a challenge.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bleudog on May 09, 2017, 08:59:40 pm
When a school goes from one of the bigger schools in a classification to one that doesn't have enough student to belong in the larger classification, holding its own is even more of a challenge.

Facts aren't allowed in this conversation bleu

bleudog

Rida4Life

At no point did I ever argue the logistics of why the Louisiana kids go to school in JC. 
My point is that the charter that allows that can't be treated like a traditional public school which is the reason that charters began in the first place.  I know it's a unique situation.  There isn't a great answer in terms of what's fair for everyone.  Bottom line is that the AAA will decide the appeal and all will have to live with their decision.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Rida4Life on May 10, 2017, 10:00:21 am
At no point did I ever argue the logistics of why the Louisiana kids go to school in JC. 
My point is that the charter that allows that can't be treated like a traditional public school which is the reason that charters began in the first place.  I know it's a unique situation.  There isn't a great answer in terms of what's fair for everyone.  Bottom line is that the AAA will decide the appeal and all will have to live with their decision.

+1

The charter school situation will only get worse state wide as the mega districts leave people feeling like they don't care, or they're holding they're kids back....

bleudog

May 10, 2017, 12:12:31 pm #76 Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:27:27 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Rida4Life on May 10, 2017, 10:00:21 am

NECC was formed so JC could continue providing educational services in what in any other public school would be considered the south half of its district.

The geographic area of JC "district" and the population density of that geographic area is consistent with other schools JC's size.

It's not like the stereotypical "select" schools where those schools pull kids out of a 7A-5A geographic area but compete in a 2A-4A group.

To give the impression JC/NECC is getting kids from Homer or Haynesville or Farmerville or Ruston or Minden or Monroe or Shreveport is simply wrong and irresponsible.

The appeal is just to correct a math error resulting in ADE changing its report mapping, not a debate on charter schools.  The NECC families have been sending their kids to JC for almost 100 years.  During the majority of that time, they were Claiborne Parish Public School or Union Parish Public School kids.  The charter creation was a political move by the parents of those kids so the families would no longer be at the mercy of the parish system as to when the parish would cancel the agreement.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bleudog on May 10, 2017, 12:12:31 pm
NECC was formed so JC could continue providing educational services in what in any other public school would be considered the south half of its district.

The geographic area of JC "district" and the population density of that geographic area is consistent with other schools JC's size.

It's not like the stereotypical "select" schools where those schools pull kids out of a 7A-5A geographic area but compete in a 2A-4A group.

To give the impression JC/NECC is getting kids from Homer or Haynesville or Farmerville or Ruston or Minden or Monroe or Shreveport is simply wrong and irresponsible.

The appeal is just to correct a math error resulting in ADE changing its report mapping, not a debate on charter schools.  The NECC families have been sending their kids to JC for almost 100 years.  During the majority of that time, they were Claiborne Parish Public School or Union Parish Public School kids.  The charter creation was a political move by the parents of those kids so the families would no longer be at the mercy of the parish system as to when the parish would cancel the agreement.

Didn't the old public system agreement between Claiborne and J.C actually operate at a profit for Claiborne?

bleudog

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 10, 2017, 03:50:40 pm
Didn't the old public system agreement between Claiborne and J.C actually operate at a profit for Claiborne?

Yep.  Louisiana was providing more than $9,000 per student to Claiborne.  JC's goal was to get a minimum of what Arkansas was paying per student or somewhere around $6,500 per student at the time.  It was amazing to everyone associated with JC that Claiborne would want to end the educational provider arrangement.  For the bulk of the agreement's term, the monetary transfer was in the form of personnel rather than cash payment of an invoice.   But Claiborne was closing schools at other locations in the parish and I think they were having a constituent PR and employee morale issue of closing schools but still having employees who were plying their trade four blocks over the state line.

HG Hornet

I'm hearing a rumor that Woodlawn, Strong, and Hermitage may not field football teams next year.  Anyone else heard this yet?  I hope its not true or CHG, Bearden, Rison, Hampton, and Parkers Chapel will all miss out on three conference games this season.   

dawgpound

I talked to a guy from Woodlawn a couple weeks ago and he didn't say anything about it, but with small schools you never know from spring to fall how many are going to show up

HorseFeathers

Quote from: dawgpound on May 11, 2017, 02:10:47 pm
I talked to a guy from Woodlawn a couple weeks ago and he didn't say anything about it, but with small schools you never know from spring to fall how many are going to show up

Who y'all getting from Hermitage this year 8)

I kid I kid

SOUTHARK99

I talked to a parent of a player from Hermitage and he said as of now they will field a team.  He said they would move 9th grade up. As a fan of the 8aa I hope they all make it happen.

HG Hornet

Quote from: SOUTHARK99 on May 11, 2017, 02:28:25 pm
I talked to a parent of a player from Hermitage and he said as of now they will field a team.  He said they would move 9th grade up. As a fan of the 8aa I hope they all make it happen.
Sounds good.  I hope they all field teams.  I enjoy them Fall football games. 

dawgpound

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 11, 2017, 02:27:20 pm
Who y'all getting from Hermitage this year 8)

I kid I kid
Just one as of right now from last year hermitage is about dried up we got our eye on a few more from other schools just waiting on some houses to open up still a lot of time left

HorseFeathers

Quote from: dawgpound on May 11, 2017, 04:18:53 pm
Just one as of right now from last year hermitage is about dried up we got our eye on a few more from other schools just waiting on some houses to open up still a lot of time left

Start a trailer park in someone's yard :D

THA TRUTH

Quote from: Rida4Life on May 05, 2017, 09:33:51 am
You TOTALLY missed my point.  I know there is no reason on earth for Haynesville athletes to ever want to come to PC... just comparing that scenario to JC and the kids they get.

Don't want anymore 70-0 loses huh?? Not anything ur kids shouldn't be used to since it's been a man ongoing thing for 10 years... a program like pc needs to just shut up shop and save the school some money instead of wasting it in a program that will never get out of the gutters of 2a

SOUTHARK99

I think it would be good for the conference if JC and Fordyce join in 2018.

SOUTHARK99

I just heard that J Garcia from CHG was moving to Greenwood to play next year. Any truth?

dawgpound

Could be his mom was living up that way

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: SOUTHARK99 on May 12, 2017, 02:14:08 pm
I think it would be good for the conference if JC and Fordyce join in 2018.

Yes. A sober assessment of the schools that (year after year) continue to either fail to field a team, or flirt with it, need to be replaced with these type of teams (within reason). It does the conference no favors when teams are having to go through the motions when the opponents have to cancel due to lack of #'s. This problem is NOT going away!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on May 15, 2017, 09:44:43 am
Yes. A sober assessment of the schools that (year after year) continue to either fail to field a team, or flirt with it, need to be replaced with these type of teams (within reason). It does the conference no favors when teams are having to go through the motions when the opponents have to cancel due to lack of #'s. This problem is NOT going away!

Schedule nonconference games with the other conference teams....or try to pick up bigger schools Jayvee games

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 15, 2017, 10:01:12 am
Schedule nonconference games with the other conference teams....or try to pick up bigger schools Jayvee games

Doing that @ Bearden, and the Hector & Gurdon matchup shows objective evidence that it works. But someone posted that we may have three to four in conference schools in jeopardy this coming year, is a game changer. It looks to be getting worse for the rural schools in the 8.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on May 15, 2017, 10:21:12 am
Doing that @ Bearden, and the Hector & Gurdon matchup shows objective evidence that it works. But someone posted that we may have three to four in conference schools in jeopardy this coming year, is a game changer. It looks to be getting worse for the rural schools in the 8.

Looks like the 8 may end up as an auto qualifier for the playoffs....

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on May 15, 2017, 10:21:12 am

Are those schools strong, hermitage and Woodlawn?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: CHG Hornet on May 11, 2017, 01:02:43 pm
I'm hearing a rumor that Woodlawn, Strong, and Hermitage may not field football teams next year.  Anyone else heard this yet?  I hope its not true or CHG, Bearden, Rison, Hampton, and Parkers Chapel will all miss out on three conference games this season.   

There ya go PB

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 15, 2017, 06:08:26 pm
There ya go PB

Figured it would be those three....

If that happens. Then you will see an automatic qualifier for playoffs.

Rison, Hampton, Bearden, CHG and PC... Those are your five seeds.

If I were any one of those teams. I would just do like hermitage did when Hampton didn't field a team. Schedule a conference opponent for a non-conference game.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 15, 2017, 06:53:27 pm

If I were any one of those teams. I would just do like hermitage did when Hampton didn't field a team. Schedule a conference opponent for a non-conference game.

Let's be honest....that's probably the 5 playoff teams either way..

HG Hornet

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 15, 2017, 06:53:27 pm

Yep, may have to do that. 

SOUTHARK99

Any news on the Garcia kid from HG moving. He was a hand full last year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas