• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A Playoff Predictions

Started by Jdhelbig, April 06, 2017, 05:31:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdhelbig

We are a little over half way point of the regular season and we've had a chance to see a lot of teams play. Who are the favorites, dark-horses, etc. across the 5A in both girls and boys?

VHSCoach2

After all is said and done in the 5A West Conference Tournament, I'd venture a guess as these being the playoff teams:

Boys:
Clarksville, Maumelle, Greenbrier are probably locks.
Harrison, Vilonia are in or out.
Morrilton is out.

Girls:
Maumelle, Harrison, Greenbrier, Vilonia are locks.
Clarksville and Morrilton are out

Sir Alex

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 06, 2017, 07:09:28 pm
After all is said and done in the 5A West Conference Tournament, I'd venture a guess as these being the playoff teams:

Boys:
Clarksville, Maumelle, Greenbrier are probably locks.
Harrison, Vilonia are in or out.
Morrilton is out.

Girls:
Maumelle, Harrison, Greenbrier, Vilonia are locks.
Clarksville and Morrilton are out

On paper that looks fantastic but we both know that anything can happen at anytime.

Go Postal

Quote from: Sir Alex on April 06, 2017, 09:57:27 pm
On paper that looks fantastic but we both know that anything can happen at anytime.
2013 5A Girls State Championship game comes to mind.  Lady GOBS mercy ruled the Lady Saints TWICE in West conference play but couldn't buy a goal (though many, many attempts did hit the bar) in Championship game.

Red Wolf

Girls State Tournament:
Central - LRCA and PA will be tough as usual.
East - Valley View looks like a potential finalist.
South - DeQueen has a very good record but not sure how tough the schedule was.
West - very balanced. Harrison's record not as good as in past but they won conf tournament so maybe they are peaking.  Greenbriar has a very good record but slipped in conf. Tournament.  Maumelle has talent but lost to LRCA twice then beat PA...hard to tell.

MB Hog

May 08, 2017, 12:18:25 pm #6 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:51:45 pm by MB Hog
Top half of the girls bracket looks like LRCA all the way.  I don't think Maumelle, Greenbrier, or DeQueen can knock them off.

Bottom half looks like a dog fight between Valley View, Harrison, and PA.

The crazy schedules this year make it harder than ever to predict.  Based on Harrison's record, I wouldn't have expected them to win the West tourney... but they played a minimal number of West teams during the regular season, so it is hard to know what their record would have been if they all played each other twice per season like they used to do.

ARSOCCER2017

Hot Springs, Lakeside, or DeQueen.... one of the 5A South WILL be in the finals. Period.

JamesLeigh

After last year's semifinal between Hot Springs and Lakeside, I know that people around here are glad to see that there's a possibility to see the two meet up in the finals. Both teams are playing some of their best ball, but when it comes to the 5A-South, no matchup is a guaranteed bet.

All of the top three teams have traded wins with each other with LS taking two over De Queen and HS taking two over LS. There is no doubt in my mind that the 5A-South will keep the title this year (and likely for the next two years if what I've seen of the teams continues to trend).

MB Hog

Quote from: MB Hog on May 08, 2017, 12:18:25 pm
Top half of the bracket looks like LRCA all the way.  I don't think Maumelle, Greenbrier, or DeQueen can knock them off.

Bottom half looks like a dog fight between Valley View, Harrison, and PA.

The crazy schedules this year make it harder than ever to predict.  Based on Harrison's record, I wouldn't have expected them to win the West tourney... but they played a minimal number of West teams during the regular season, so it is hard to know what their record would have been if they all played each other twice per season like they used to do.
Should have specified... this is for the girls bracket.

Mijally2

Quote from: JamesLeigh on May 08, 2017, 12:40:32 pm
After last year's semifinal between Hot Springs and Lakeside, I know that people around here are glad to see that there's a possibility to see the two meet up in the finals. Both teams are playing some of their best ball, but when it comes to the 5A-South, no matchup is a guaranteed bet.

All of the top three teams have traded wins with each other with LS taking two over De Queen and HS taking two over LS. There is no doubt in my mind that the 5A-South will keep the title this year (and likely for the next two years if what I've seen of the teams continues to trend).
I would say Valley View with their regular season win over Hot Springs, championship experience and home field advantage so there's no officiating monkey business against them the 5A state tournament is known for makes them the favorite.

JamesLeigh

Quote from: Mijally2 on May 08, 2017, 01:25:57 pm
I would say Valley View with their regular season win over Hot Springs, championship experience and home field advantage so there's no officiating monkey business against them the 5A state tournament is known for makes them the favorite.
I can see that, but, not having seen VV play, I can say that you have to take into account that the HS-VV matchup in March was only three hours after rolling over Cabot (4-1). I also know that VV defeated Searcy earlier that day in a shootout, but an extra hour of rest means a lot.

That being said, I look forward to a LS-VV match in the second round.

Go Postal

Here is some lists in the current 5A teams only over the years. Some listed below got their Championship while in a different conference. I thought you fans would like to see this for general info.  This should be another exciting playoffs this year and I'm hoping to add some newcomers to the list.

BOYS TEAM ALL-TIME STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
6 Harrison, 2002-08
6 De Queen, 2009-15
3 Pulaski Academy, 2000-07
3 Little Rock Christian, 2009-13
1 Valley View 2013
1 Clarksville 2007
1 Hot Springs 2016

BOYS STATE CHAMPIONS/STATE RUNNER-UP BY YEAR
CLASS 5A
2016 - Hot Springs (Runner-up Valley View)
2015 - De Queen (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2014 - De Queen (Runner-up HS Lakeside)
2013 - Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Harrison)
2012 – Siloam Springs (Runner-up HS Lakeside)
2011 – Siloam Springs (Runner-up HS Lakeside)
2010 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Hope)
2009 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Central Arkansas Christian)
2008 – Harrison (Runner-up LR Christian)
2007 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Siloam Springs)
2006 – Harrison (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2005 – Harrison (Runner-up Siloam Springs)
2004 – Harrison (Runner-up Central Arkansas Christian)
2003 – Harrison (Runner-up HS Lakeside)
2002 – Harrison (Runner-up Searcy)

GIRLS TEAM ALL-TIME STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
6 Pulaski Academy, 2003-12
5 Harrison, 2002-16
3 Little Rock Christian 2010-15
1 Valley View 2014

GIRLS STATE CHAMPIONS/STATE RUNNER-UPS BY YEAR
CLASS 5A
2016 - Harrison (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2015 - Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2014 - Harrison (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2013 - Shiloh Christian (Runner-up Harrison)
2012 – Central Arkansas Christian (Runner-up LR Christian)
2011 – Harrison (Runner-up LR Christian)
2010 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2009 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Central Arkansas Christian)
2008 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up LR Christian)
2007 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up LR Christian)
2006 – Central Arkansas Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2005 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Little Rock Christian)
2004 – Harrison (Runner-up Arkadelphia)
2003 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Harrison)
2002 – Harrison (Runner-up Searcy)

ARSoccer25

Boys:

Semifinals:

HS over Maumelle
DeQueen over Valley View

Finals:
HS over DeQueen.

After the finals:
The rest of 5A celebrates that Erick Guadron for HS graduates.

hogbert

Interesting you have Maumelle getting past LRCA in quarters. But hey, you do you. Beating someone 3x in a year is difficult, but Maumelle has to score a goal first.
I'll go with VV in the bottom half and HS in the top half for the final.

Jdhelbig

I'd say Hot Springs Vs DeQueen in the final.
For the result, I will have to go with 2-1 with the championship going to DeQueen.
I can't wait for the playoffs though. Should have a good one in store this year!

RazorDad

May 09, 2017, 09:22:53 am #16 Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:35:19 am by RazorDad
Boys LRCA over Valley View in the final.

BTW, look out for McClellan, they are playing with a lot of heart right now. 

Girls LRCA over PA in the final.

TNT_15

Quote from: RazorDad on May 09, 2017, 09:22:53 am
Boys LRCA over Valley View in the final.

BTW, look out for McClellan, they are playing with a lot of heart right now. 

Girls LRCA over PA in the final.
Hmmm lrca wins both boys and girls? Sounds a little biased.

jimmyt

I'll throw out a not-bold prediction and say that DQ mercy rules McClellan, Lakeside mercy rules Sylvan, and Hot Springs mercy rules PA. LRCA will beat Hope by 3.

hogbert

not sure on the McClellan comment. They are not good. DQ will most definitely mercy rule them. Lakeside will beat Sylvan Hills, and unless their striker comes back full speed, I don't think it will be that lopsided. Also, no question HS beats PA, but not sure they mercy rule...but it'll be close to it.

Mijally2

Quote from: hogbert on May 08, 2017, 09:36:22 pm
Interesting you have Maumelle getting past LRCA in quarters. But hey, you do you. Beating someone 3x in a year is difficult, but Maumelle has to score a goal first.
As a Maumelle fan it's nice not to be lined up to play the host in front of their student body for a change unlike the last 2 years.  It's actually gonna feel like a state playoff instead of an invitational.

JMBknvc

Good luck to all the Teams today and safe travels to all the fans going to support there Teams. Hopefully the weather will not cause to much an issue as thunderstorms are forecasted for today and tomorrow.

Sir Alex

Quote from: Mijally2 on May 09, 2017, 08:45:00 pm
As a Maumelle fan it's nice not to be lined up to play the host in front of their student body for a change unlike the last 2 years.  It's actually gonna feel like a state playoff instead of an invitational.

You all did play Hope and Lakeside the last two years?  Best of luck to your team this week.

Mijally2

Yep. Hope at Hope. Lakeside at Lakeside.

Jdhelbig

hogbert

See above in State Tournament thread.

Go Postal

Congratulations to Harrison B/G, Maumelle B/G and Clarksville B for making it through the first round. Lady Hornets and Lady Goblins will have their hands full in the quarter final games but the West has faith in our athletes to do the best that you can do. The same for the West boys also.  Good luck, play hard but most of all, have fun.

Mijally2

Quote from: hogbert on May 08, 2017, 09:36:22 pm
You called it Hogbert. We couldn't score. 3 full games and 1 1/2 OT periods. 255 minutes and nothing. And it wasn't like we parked the bus and didn't try. We went for it. Your defense had our number all year. Congrats and good luck.

hogbert

Thanks. I thought you guys for sure played the best I've seen of the 3 games. Maumelle plays good soccer, really good at times, but for some reason you guys just struggle scoring off the run of play. Our defense has been playing well and pitching some shut outs, 10 of the last 12. However, we get Mr Guadron tomorrow so not expecting another. I may get surprised, but I'm expecting a competitive game.

Mijally2

I've always said we are the best looking soccer team that doesn't score.  We have a team full of midfielders with good handles and we are light on strikers. We lost only one senior though and I believe our coach as well.  The team next year will be loaded with 11 or 12 seniors. 

Arbitro

I got a chance to see the Hot Springs-PA game yesterday, and Mr. Guadron was definitely a force with three goals and an assist. What surprised me a bit was that PA didn't seem to make any real effort to mark him, which left him the freedom to roam and do what he does best. It made me think of a championship game I watched many years back.

In 2004 Conway played North Little Rock for the championship.  NLR had one excellent player and a supporting cast around him, while Conway had a very good and pretty balanced team.  Conway marked the NLR star with multiple players, and every time that he got near the ball they beat the crap out of him.  Their strategy completely neutralized his play, and by the second half he appeared to be tired, sore, and basically demoralized.  Conway went on to win the game fairly easily since the rest of the NLR players couldn't take advantage of mismatches generated from Conway's focus on one player.

Hot Springs has lost some games this year.  Have opponents successfully used man marking against Mr. Guadron?

hogbert

Quote from: Mijally2 on May 12, 2017, 08:41:57 pm
I've always said we are the best looking soccer team that doesn't score.  We have a team full of midfielders with good handles and we are light on strikers. We lost only one senior though and I believe our coach as well.  The team next year will be loaded with 11 or 12 seniors. 

LRCA graduates 5 seniors. 4 starters: A striker, central mid, outside mid and outside back. Another is backup goalie and plays in field some as well. We will have to replace goals of our senior forward who has something like 35 goals, and center mid who has mid teens in goals, but I hear the young ones coming up should be good. Hope we keep playing. Should be fun for years to come.

Mijally2

We need to recruit a striker.  ;D. We use to get them from the foreign exchange program but we haven't the last few years. Maybe some private school kid will want to come home to Maumelle and play soccer with their friends.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas