• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

False Information on Twitter

Started by HUMBABE, March 31, 2017, 10:40:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HUMBABE

Is anyone else getting tired of all the false promotion being posted about "prospects" on Twitter?

Example: A couple summers ago, a prominent Arkansas showcase program was playing in an out of state event.  One of their prized "prospects" was at the plate with 1 out, a runner on 3rd, and the game on the line.  It was reported on Twitter that he crushed the ball deep to left field for out #2 and the runner on 3rd failed to tag up and was thrown out at the plate for out #3.  What actually happened was the highly ranked "prospect" was asked to bunt to get the run home but he popped up to the pitcher and the runner at 3rd was picked off trying to make it back to 3rd.

I seriously doubt any college coaches pay a bit of attention to the crap that gets posted to Twitter.  By now, we've all seen so many exaggerations and outright lies that anything we read on Twitter is immediately discounted.  At least now we finally have a word for this kind of stuff - False News!

T-Bone

Quote from: HUMBABE on March 31, 2017, 10:40:11 am
Is anyone else getting tired of all the false promotion being posted about "prospects" on Twitter?

Example: A couple summers ago, a prominent Arkansas showcase program was playing in an out of state event.  One of their prized "prospects" was at the plate with 1 out, a runner on 3rd, and the game on the line.  It was reported on Twitter that he crushed the ball deep to left field for out #2 and the runner on 3rd failed to tag up and was thrown out at the plate for out #3.  What actually happened was the highly ranked "prospect" was asked to bunt to get the run home but he popped up to the pitcher and the runner at 3rd was picked off trying to make it back to 3rd.

I seriously doubt any college coaches pay a bit of attention to the crap that gets posted to Twitter.  By now, we've all seen so many exaggerations and outright lies that anything we read on Twitter is immediately discounted.  At least now we finally have a word for this kind of stuff - False News!

I do think some watch players on twitter but more the ones they are already watching.  I will also say one kid was noted as having only 5 K in the Jonesboro Sun when he actually had 8 and those were counted from two other sources.  Bottom line is twitter, facebook and the newspapers can all have some good information but all of them can have false information too.  You get what you want to get out of it.

ricepig

A scout/college coach isn't going to base an offer or draft selection based off of tweets, newspaper articles, or even "official" team stats. They're paid for what they see with their eyes, stopwatch, and radar guns.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 31, 2017, 12:59:12 pm
A scout/college coach isn't going to base an offer or draft selection based off of tweets, newspaper articles, or even "official" team stats. They're paid for what they see with their eyes, stopwatch, and radar guns.

+1

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 31, 2017, 12:59:12 pm

I will bet you a pretty penny that if a player post something in a bad way they will judge the player to some extent.  Also for any kid to be seen they have to be seen.  Meaning they have to have some idea of where players are located.  I understand word of mouth is probably best but if your in a hole and never get out (NEA) nobody knows who to watch.

LeftBench

Main thing I got from that: why was the coach bunting in that situation?

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 31, 2017, 08:03:19 pm
I will bet you a pretty penny that if a player post something in a bad way they will judge the player to some extent.  Also for any kid to be seen they have to be seen.  Meaning they have to have some idea of where players are located.  I understand word of mouth is probably best but if your in a hole and never get out (NEA) nobody knows who to watch.

We aren't talking about objective tweets by a player, we were talking about exaggerated tweets about stats or particular plays, nowhere close to the same. As to be seen by someone, that's what your high school, Legion, or showcase coach is for, to get a prospects name out. The best way to be seen is to attend either a camp at a particular college you are interested in, or attend a showcase in front of scouts and college coaches.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 31, 2017, 10:09:56 pm
We aren't talking about objective tweets by a player, we were talking about exaggerated tweets about stats or particular plays, nowhere close to the same. As to be seen by someone, that's what your high school, Legion, or showcase coach is for, to get a prospects name out. The best way to be seen is to attend either a camp at a particular college you are interested in, or attend a showcase in front of scouts and college coaches.

I can agree with that. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas