• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4A District Tournament

Started by Ole Legend, February 07, 2017, 11:57:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Team with the best chance of winning tournament?

Gravette
1 (5.9%)
Huntsville
6 (35.3%)
Pea Ridge
8 (47.1%)
Gentry
1 (5.9%)
Prairie Grove
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: February 14, 2017, 11:53:37 am

Ole Legend

I know the coaches are having the seeding meeting tomorrow night, any thoughts about where everyone is going to end up as far as seeding goes? I've had a hard time keeping up with records since they split up the conference this year. IMO it will be Pea Ridge, Huntsville, and Gravette with the top seeds, but after that everyone seems inconsistent. Gentry played really tough for parts of the season, and PG played decent for parts of the season. Lincoln has to be the last seed.

BVCAT

February 07, 2017, 12:34:52 pm #1 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:53:40 am by BVCAT
My two cents:
Top three are solid with the one seed to either PR or Huntsville. Gravette locked in the three. The eight is Lincoln. I think the seven is Prairie Grove (11-13) with a recent loss to Lincoln. 4-7 coin flip.

1. Huntsville
2. Pea Ridge
3. Gravette
4. Shiloh/Gentry/Berryville/PG
5. Shiloh/Gentry/Berryville/PG
6. Shiloh/Gentry/Berryville/PG
7. Shiloh/Gentry/Berryville/PG
8. Lincoln

arkcrash

Guess PG helped decide the 1 and 2 spots last night.

BVCAT

Quote from: arkcrash on February 08, 2017, 07:46:45 am
Guess PG helped decide the 1 and 2 spots last night.
And probably made the 4 seed possible/likely for themselves. Nice win.

beach bum

How in the world do you only score 56 points on an average 4A team when you have 8 guys that shoot lights out behind the 3 point line? I was told a few weeks ago Pea Ridge has 8 good 3 point shooters by their posters?

prHOG13

Quote from: beach bum on February 08, 2017, 09:12:52 am
How in the world do you only score 56 points on an average 4A team when you have 8 guys that shoot lights out behind the 3 point line? I was told a few weeks ago Pea Ridge has 8 good 3 point shooters by their posters?
They live and die by the 3 point line sometimes. It happens. Don't think that was a problem earlier in the year when PR ended up with a 74-43 victory. Happy for PG's monumental victory that propelled them to the 4th seed. They're capable of giving good teams fits considering they only lost to Huntsville by 1 early in the year.

StepBack3

When a shooter. Is off it seems like others something's follows... And Maybe some PG home cooking

beach bum

February 08, 2017, 11:17:35 am #7 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:24:26 am by beach bum
Quote from: StepBack3 on February 08, 2017, 11:09:34 am
When a shooter. Is off it seems like others something's follows... And Maybe some PG home cooking

They do have a history of pulling major upsets at home when an underdog...

pridgehog

PG played a really good game. They had a lot of energy and they also shot the ball very well. Coach Loyd will have these guys ready for the district tourney come next week. A loss can be good for a team right before post season. I still think Pea Ridge has a chance at making a run to Hot Springs.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: pridgehog on February 08, 2017, 12:43:40 pm
PG played a really good game. They had a lot of energy and they also shot the ball very well. Coach Loyd will have these guys ready for the district tourney come next week. A loss can be good for a team right before post season. I still think Pea Ridge has a chance at making a run to Hot Springs.
Will he have them ready for regionals? That's the real question

pridgehog

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 08, 2017, 12:54:11 pm
Will he have them ready for regionals? That's the real question
Absolutely!

Wendell Robinson

Seeds are set

Boys

1. Huntsville 2. Pea Ridge 3. Gravette 4. Prairie Grove 5. Gentry 6. Shiloh 7. Berryville 8. Lincoln

Girls

1. Huntsville 2. Berryville 3. Gravette 4. Pea Ridge 5. Gentry 6. Prairie Grove 7. Shiloh 8. Lincoln

The only really big surprise is on the girls side where Berryville gets the 2 seed. According to Maxpreps they are below 500 in conference but also beat Hunstville by 22? This split conference nonsense is for the birds.

Tiger4Life2015

The seeds aren't surprising mostly besides the boys could have went any way with the 4-7 seeds. The Berryville girls is not surprising, beat Huntsville by 22 and beat Gravette girls also by 20 something. Missed their 2 best players half the games this year, their Point and best Post player. Pretty much have all their girls back now from their final four run they made last year. Going to be a fun tourney! Looking forward to some upsets!

Wendell Robinson

I was unaware that they had been missing a few of their best players until this morning. When Gravette played them earlier Gravette shot 13% from the floor. I didn't get to travel to that one so not exactly sure if it was Berryville's defense or just an extremely off night for Gravette. Either way. I think both the boys and girls side of the conference can make a lot of noise in the regionals.

oldtimeeagle

Here is the district tournament schedule starting Monday at Bobcat Arena in Berryville.

Monday February 13
Game 1-4:00 Girls Huntsville vs Lincoln
Game 2-5:30 Boys Huntsville vs Lincoln
Game 3-7:00 Girls Berryville vs Shiloh Christian
Game 4-8:30 Boys Pea Ridge vs Berryville

Wednesday February 15
Game 5-4:00 Girls Gravette vs Prairie Grove
Game 6-5:30 Boys Gravette vs Shiloh Christian
Game 7-7:00 Girls Pea Ridge vs Gentry
Game 8-8:30 Boys Prairie Grove vs Gentry

Friday February 17 (Semifinals)
Game 9-4:00 Girls Game 1 Winner vs Game 7 Winner
Game 10-5:30 Boys Game 2 Winner vs Game 8 Winner
Game 11-7:00 Girls Game 3 Winner vs Game 5 Winner
Game 12-8:30 Boys Game 4 Winner vs Game 6 Winner

Saturday February 18
3rd Place Games
Game 13-4:00 Girls Game 9 Loser vs Game 11 Loser
Game 14-5:30 Boys Game 10 Loser vs Game 12 Loser

Championship Games
Game 15-7:00 Girls Game 9 Winner vs Game 11 Winner
Game 16-8:30 Boys Game 10 Winner vs Game 12 Winner

OkieinPG

???

I thought the #1 & #2 seeds got byes through the first 2 rounds and get automatic qualifiers to Regional.  Shouldn't it be:

Day 1:  5 vs 8 & 6 vs 7 boys and girls.

Those winners play the 3 & 4 seeds the next day.

Then those winners play the 1 & 2 seeds in the Semis before the District Finals.

Ole Legend

Quote from: OkieinPG on February 09, 2017, 12:37:30 pm
???

I thought the #1 & #2 seeds got byes through the first 2 rounds and get automatic qualifiers to Regional.  Shouldn't it be:

Day 1:  5 vs 8 & 6 vs 7 boys and girls.

Those winners play the 3 & 4 seeds the next day.

Then those winners play the 1 & 2 seeds in the Semis before the District Finals.

They changed it all this year with the new mixed conferences and everything. No more byes for anyone.

beach bum

I think no byes was a good thing considering this was voted on and not purely standings of playing a home and home round robin. It was cut and dry here that the Pea Ridge and Huntsville are 1 and 2 but there will be some years where the 2, 3, and 4 seeds could be highly debated. I think it was smart to go no byes. If Huntsville can't beat Lincoln when it is the season on the line they don't deserve regionals. Now, Pea Ridge gets a little bit of a short stick playing on a decent team by most 7 seed standards on their home court. However, if Pea Ridge plays well they should still easily win by doubles digits and more.

nuttinbuthogs

The only teams that may suffer is those 7-8 teams that sometimes beat the 5-6 and get to round 2.  Highly unlikely, at least this year.  I'm sure some teams are just going to be glad its over.

Wendell Robinson

3 seed Gravette had a tough draw with a surging Shiloh Christian in the first round. Shiloh has won 7 of their last 8 and just pounded the 5 seed Gentry.

For those wanting to keep up with at least part of the action. Gravette will be broadcasting every Gravette game in the postseason, as far as they may go. I will be handling the play by play as I have all season and the action starts with the Lady Lions taking on PG at 4:00 on Wednesday. It's followed immediately by the Gravette/Shiloh boys' game. I'll share the link as it gets closer.

Ole Legend

I believe that Pea Ridge will be live streaming all of the boys and girls games as well.

Baller91

Can someone please explain to me how the seeding can be changed AFTER the meeting has already happened and the brackets have already gone out? Just got word that Shiloh pulled some strings and got their seed changed from 6 to 5 so they wouldn't have to play Gravette. Yes, they beat Gentry last night, but Gentry won their first meeting. How does that even happen? Why even have a meeting?

beach bum

Quote from: Baller91 on February 11, 2017, 02:56:05 pm
Can someone please explain to me how the seeding can be changed AFTER the meeting has already happened and the brackets have already gone out? Just got word that Shiloh pulled some strings and got their seed changed from 6 to 5 so they wouldn't have to play Gravette. Yes, they beat Gentry last night, but Gentry won their first meeting. How does that even happen? Why even have a meeting?

Has this been confirmed? If so that is a little funky... However I don't think they should have voted until this weekend anyway and not earlier in the week. But you are right once they make the seeds keep them in place.

Wendell Robinson

Shiloh petitioned the AAA and won. Gravette will now play Gentry on Wednesday at 5:30.

Ole Legend

AT

Shiloh petitioned the AAA for a district seeding thing? That doesn't add up. District seeding is up to district coaches. Are we sure the coaches didn't agree before hand on some type of "if Shiloh wins this game Friday, they can be this seed"?

Wendell Robinson

I was told that by a media member this afternoon who spoke with a coach this morning. It was reported by all media outlets that every team had agreed that Friday's results would not factor into seedings. I didn't hear it directly from the coach but the source I spoke with is very reliable and he said that to his understanding it was done by a petition with the AAA.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

4. Prairie Grove (11-7) - owns tiebreaker over Shiloh
5. Shiloh Christian (11-7)
6. Gentry (10-8)

Not sure I understand the controversy.

BVCAT

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on February 12, 2017, 03:59:23 pm
4. Prairie Grove (11-7) - owns tiebreaker over Shiloh
5. Shiloh Christian (11-7)
6. Gentry (10-8)

Not sure I understand the controversy.
The controversy would be that the seeding meeting took place. Was Gentry aware that this would take place if they lost on Friday? Was it discussed in the meeting? Did Shiloh hold this little caveat in their back pocket until after the game? Did Gentry view the game as not critical and rest some players?

I don't have a dog in this fight but can certainly see the controversy!

Another mark against this screwed up split conference alignments!

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

So 8 teams get together, 4 don't have a dog in the hunt and 2 like the way it is playing out...that leaves 2 that would like for the game to count. So they vote and decide not to count it...for what reason?

As for Gentry, please tell me they won't make the argument that they were not playing to win. It was senior night at home against Shiloh.

Is everyone sure that it was Shiloh that talked to the AAA, or could there be another team that had interest in Shiloh and Gentry switching spots?

Wendell Robinson

I was just relaying what I was told today. Don't shoot the messenger. It was just reported, widely, that Friday's games would have no effect on the seeding. Now that "rule" was either changed or falsely reported. Either way, you can see the confusion by everyone.

All that being said, why even play the game on Friday if they aren't being counted? I thought it was ridiculous when I heard that it wouldn't count. Why would anyone run the risk of injury to star/key players if the games didn't even matter? I honestly have no problems with Shiloh gaining the 5 seed, they have a better conference record than Gentry, they deserve the higher seed. It just seems that either irresponsible journalism or an exception to the rule occurred somewhere.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I think this is the easiest explanation...majority of AD's wanted to leave the meeting with bracket completed as it was as of Wednesday morning and did so, but AAA said all games must count and go by their tie-breaking procedures.

nuttinbuthogs

Unless of course Shiloh did in fact appeal to the AAA and disregard a gentlemans agreement.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

A gentleman's agreement?  That's funny.  How about an agreement to do what is right? 

From my understanding, no official from Shiloh contacted AAA; however, an official from another school did.

nuttinbuthogs

Then explain how the change came about.  If the agreement was made at the coaches meeting, the AAA would have no reason to question the outcome of the conference standings unless the loser appealed. Agreement to do what is right?  If that was the case it would have been made at the meeting and not after.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 12, 2017, 06:12:08 pm
Then explain how the change came about.
See my answer from the post above.
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on February 12, 2017, 05:46:51 pm
From my understanding, no official from Shiloh contacted AAA; however, an official from another school did.

From the idea that you are not allowed to "appeal" a decision made by your conference, if the conference proposed that Pea Ridge would start each game down 10-0 and 7 out of 8 teams agreed, then Pea Ridge should not appeal to the AAA because there was a "gentleman's agreement?"

And again, there was no "appeal" made by Shiloh officials, but I would not blame them if they did.  If I find out that that is an incorrect statement, I will recant.

prHOG13

Personally, I don't really care about the 4th or 5th seed and which side of the bracket they're on.

nuttinbuthogs

I still wonder why the AAA would contact the conference about a decision made at the coaches meeting in which the coaches willingly made a decision.  This being a decision the AAA would have no way of knowing about, the assumption being that the conference standings would have been properly handled, unless somebody contacted them after the fact.  Now, other than Shiloh who would have prospered from the contact?  Follow the money as they say.

Ole Legend

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on February 12, 2017, 06:42:15 pm
See my answer from the post above.
From the idea that you are not allowed to "appeal" a decision made by your conference, if the conference proposed that Pea Ridge would start each game down 10-0 and 7 out of 8 teams agreed, then Pea Ridge should not appeal to the AAA because there was a "gentleman's agreement?"

And again, there was no "appeal" made by Shiloh officials, but I would not blame them if they did.  If I find out that that is an incorrect statement, I will recant.

So why was there even a meeting on Wednesday???

Baller91

I have no idea why they had the seeding meeting before all the games were completed. I have a hard time believing that AAA would allow this, unless ALL coaches and ADs agreed to it before hand. My issue is that everyone voted and agreed to this, and then, when things didn't go down the way "they should" (keep in mind that Gentry beat Shiloh the first time they played), someone decided they would pull strings to get their way. (That sounds so familiar to me ... can't remember which school has a history of that.) Either way, it is wrong. It sends a great message to the kids too, "Agree to whatever, you don't have to stand by it if you see it won't benefit you later."

Tigerdad2

Quote from: prHOG13 on February 12, 2017, 06:49:51 pm
Personally, I don't really care about the 4th or 5th seed and which side of the bracket they're on.
Agreed, you should care about getting beat by Berryville in districts

beach bum

As stated before.... I think the seeds ultimately ended up as the should. Also, they should not have voted until this weekend anyway. But, if you vote mid week then KEEP THEM. I think voting with one game wasn't wise to begin with, but don't change it after the fact. It opens a whole can of worms. I bet next year they will not vote until ALL conference games are in. Not one left.

beach bum

February 12, 2017, 07:02:33 pm #42 Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:08:09 pm by beach bum
$$$$$ and power spoke here I imagine.... Cross Church has bottomless pockets for its prep school. I don't mean they paid off the AAA. That is not what I mean at all. Merely pointing out being in a powerful position will alter peoples' decisions for you. I don't think the AAA is doing this as a favor for Gentry if it was reversed. Again, not implying they actually paid them. Just that certain schools have more power in our state. Marvell will not get the same respect as the Fayetteville public school system. It is just a sad fact of life. Certain people get certain privileges and benefits of the doubt the others would not.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 12, 2017, 06:51:44 pm
I still wonder why the AAA would contact the conference about a decision made at the coaches meeting in which the coaches willingly made a decision.  This being a decision the AAA would have no way of knowing about, the assumption being that the conference standings would have been properly handled, unless somebody contacted them after the fact.  Now, other than Shiloh who would have prospered from the contact?  Follow the money as they say.
The discussion was made after the meeting on Wednesday about what Shiloh could/should do.  The consensus among the administration was that Shiloh would be best served playing with the cards that were dealt.

To answer your last question, I'll follow with a question: Who would have not liked the way the seeding was handled besides Shiloh?  There were three other teams on Shiloh's side of the bracket and three other teams on Gentry's side of the bracket.  There may be another team that didn't want to see Shiloh or Gentry in the first or second round.

Quote from: Ole Legend on February 12, 2017, 06:53:44 pm
So why was there even a meeting on Wednesday???
Good question.  Or why did they not leave the meeting with all seeds set except the two teams that are tied?

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Baller91 on February 12, 2017, 06:57:36 pm
Quote from: beach bum on February 12, 2017, 07:01:40 pm
As stated before....
Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 12, 2017, 06:51:44 pm
  Now, other than Shiloh who would have prospered from the contact?  Follow the money as they say.
Also, they should not have voted until this weekend anyway. But, if you vote mid week then KEEP THEM. I think voting with one game wasn't wise to begin with, but don't change it after the fact. It opens a whole can of worms. I bet next year they will not vote until ALL conference games are in. Not one left.
My issue is that everyone voted and agreed to this, and then, when things didn't go down the way "they should" (keep in mind that Gentry beat Shiloh the first time they played), someone decided they would pull strings to get their way. (That sounds so familiar to me ... can't remember which school has a history of that.) Either way, it is wrong. It sends a great message to the kids too, "Agree to whatever, you don't have to stand by it if you see it won't benefit you later."

There have been a few questionable events in history to be sure.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I have no idea to what you guys are referencing as this is my first year at Shiloh, but I will note that the administration has changed over the past three years (President, High School Principal, and Athletic Director), and there is almost an entirely new coaching staff in all sports over that time period.

Baller91

What's done is done. I just hope that next year, AAA won't allow ANY seeding to take place until all regular season games are played, and hopefully some poetic justice will be served in the tournament.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on February 12, 2017, 07:14:09 pm
I have no idea to what you guys are referencing as this is my first year at Shiloh, but I will note that the administration has changed over the past three years (President, High School Principal, and Athletic Director), and there is almost an entirely new coaching staff in all sports over that time period.

LOL!!  Sins of the father!  I would guess the folks who direct the school are still around and there is a general opinion of how things should go.  Any way, the meeting should have been the end of it but apparently that didn't suit some.  Not surprising. As for you being there one year?  You've been around the coaching world for  a good while so I bet you have heard plenty. 

Wendell Robinson

It's likely that we will never know who contacted who. In all honesty, it gives the conference its best chance of putting the 4 best teams into the Regional Tournament. Good luck to each team. Let's get the best 4 teams into the Regional Tournament and sweep our way into State!!!

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on February 12, 2017, 07:58:42 pm
It's likely that we will never know who contacted who. In all honesty, it gives the conference its best chance of putting the 4 best teams into the Regional Tournament. Good luck to each team. Let's get the best 4 teams into the Regional Tournament and sweep our way into State!!!

The end justifies the means.LOL!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas