• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rose Bud Head Coaching Job

Started by KentMurphy17, January 05, 2017, 12:25:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KentMurphy17

January 05, 2017, 12:25:16 pm Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:31:37 pm by KentMurphy17
Any thoughts on the Rose Bud head coaching job coming open??

BLUEBLOOD

If I were a fan, I would be concerned with the quality of coach you can get following a season that was forfeited due to low numbers.

If I were a potential coach, I might stay where I am and wait on something else.  Taking over a program like that could unfairly give you a label in the coaching ranks.

Razorbacks48

January 05, 2017, 12:59:41 pm #2 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:43:00 pm by Razorbacks48
kind of what I was thinking,

BLUEBLOOD

Only 2 scenarios make any sense to me

1.  someone with/without experience with ties to the area and wants to be there

2.  someone without HC experience who wants a shot to make a name and most likely move on

KentMurphy17

going to take someone willing to put in alot of extra time and work from ground up for sure

jr17

Or, someone could go in there and bring a new fire to a dead program.

purpleswag

Quote from: jr17 on January 05, 2017, 05:23:30 pm

Black hole job

KentMurphy17

Quote from: jr17 on January 05, 2017, 05:23:30 pm
i agree totally! 

HorseFeathers

Or they could drop football and focus on bringing some life back to the basketball programs ?

beach bum

January 05, 2017, 06:43:00 pm #9 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:44:52 pm by beach bum
I noticed that Rose Bud only has a population in the 400's if that is accurate? They must have a pretty large district by size? The extreme southwest part of the state and that transition area between central and east Arkansas right above I-40 are the two parts of the state I am not as familiar with the smaller communities. Outside of just a handful of cities/towns in this state its all rural here in Arkansas, but a situation like this which seems extremely rural is a hard spot to win at.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on January 05, 2017, 06:43:00 pm
I noticed that Rose Bud only has a population in the 400's if that is accurate? They must have a pretty large district by size? The extreme southwest part of the state and that transition area between central and east Arkansas right above I-40 are the two parts of the state I am not as familiar with the smaller communities. Outside of just a handful of cities/towns in this state its all rural here in Arkansas, but a situation like this which seems extremely rural is a hard spot to win at.

Rose Bud feels like the middle of nowhere...

sevenof400

How is Rose Bud 3A and having numbers issues?  Are they likely to drop back to 2A during the next reclassification? 

jr17

Im not saying someone could go in there and turn them into a winning program. But say a young, first HC job guy goes in, gets the numbers back up, get the school a little more involved, and maybe win at least a game or 2 his first year, that's a coaching win in my book.

esgibson00

I want to apply, but don't see where I can apply on schoolspring. I've emailed the principal, does anyone else know another way to apply for this job?

CoolBreeze

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 05, 2017, 08:20:21 pm
How is Rose Bud 3A and having numbers issues?  Are they likely to drop back to 2A during the next reclassification?
There are 5 public schools in 3A who play football and have lower numbers than Rosebud: Melbourne, Yellville-Summit, Barton, Gurdon, and Junction City. RB has about 30 more students than JC.

Wonderdog

Quote from: esgibson00 on January 06, 2017, 08:42:40 am
I want to apply, but don't see where I can apply on schoolspring. I've emailed the principal, does anyone else know another way to apply for this job?
Call, call and call. Conversation beats email all day. Especially at smaller schools. You will also probably get an answer to your question.

sevenof400

Quote from: Wonderdog on January 06, 2017, 02:32:05 pm
Call, call and call. Conversation beats email all day. Especially at smaller schools. You will also probably get an answer to your question.

And....actually mail an interest letter and your resume'  - the U.S. Mail that is. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 06, 2017, 04:41:23 pm
And....actually mail an interest letter and your resume'  - the U.S. Mail that is.
Yes sir. Hopefully esgibson00 knew that aspect already. I assume he did?

purpleswag

Quote from: esgibson00 on January 06, 2017, 08:42:40 am

Just show up and ask for a Rose Bud athletic shirt and a name tag. They will be grateful someone wants the job

esgibson00

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. Some were actually pretty funny. This job can't be that bad of a job can it. I know they only made it through 4 games last year because of injuries. But what else makes this job not appealing?

Bondfan4ever

Traditionally, Rose Bud is a basketball school.  They had a period of success over a two year span from 2006-08 that they went deep into the postseason.  Under Johnny Taylor, they went to the 3A semifinals in 2007 where they lost to conference mate, fellow White County school, and eventual state champ Riverview by 1 point, and then had an undefeated season the next year.  I think its going to take someone who can go in there and almost "change the culture".  Someone that will not only build up the senior high program, but also the junior high and may even the pee wee program.  It can be done....its been done in other school districts.  If a 2A school like Hampton can go from not fielding a team one year because of numbers to making a state championship game the next year, then a school like Rose Bud can be competitive.  There are plenty of good coaches out there, both head coaches and assistants, who would love the opportunity to lead a program like theirs.  The patrons of the Rose Bud School District are good folks and there is plenty of Rambler pride.  I think it'll take a lot of hard work and consistency, as far as the style of offense and defense.  Just my .02.

HorseFeathers

Um.... Bond the Hampton story had a twist, two of their best players were move ins...

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Bondfan4ever on January 07, 2017, 11:00:08 am
Traditionally, Rose Bud is a basketball school.  They had a period of success over a two year span from 2006-08 that they went deep into the postseason.  Under Johnny Taylor, they went to the 3A semifinals in 2007 where they lost to conference mate, fellow White County school, and eventual state champ Riverview by 1 point, and then had an undefeated season the next year.  I think its going to take someone who can go in there and almost "change the culture".  Someone that will not only build up the senior high program, but also the junior high and may even the pee wee program.  It can be done....its been done in other school districts.  If a 2A school like Hampton can go from not fielding a team one year because of numbers to making a state championship game the next year, then a school like Rose Bud can be competitive.  There are plenty of good coaches out there, both head coaches and assistants, who would love the opportunity to lead a program like theirs.  The patrons of the Rose Bud School District are good folks and there is plenty of Rambler pride.  I think it'll take a lot of hard work and consistency, as far as the style of offense and defense.  Just my .02.
Someone said on an earlier thread a while back that RB had a good Jr. High team this year. I have no independent knowledge to back up the statement.

Longfellow

So what happened to Coach Perez?

jr17

In the years I've been following mayflower Jr and Sr high, Rose Bud always looks decent in Jr high, but I never see it translate to Sr High

Razorbacks48

i heard they were starting interviews next week, this true?

xcat

Quote from: Razorbacks48 on January 09, 2017, 08:17:05 am
i heard they were starting interviews next week, this true?

How many applicants? Three?

Razorbacks48

i haven't heard how many applicants, where did you get 3?

dropthemic

Being from Harding Academy, I feel for the person who takes this job. Its too hard to win, they need to consider dropping the football program and focus on basketball. I hate to say it, they just can't be competitive in 3A.

xcat

Razorbacks48

;D but seriously, does anyone know how many have applied and who?

dropthemic

Quote from: Razorbacks48 on January 10, 2017, 04:51:50 pm
;D but seriously, does anyone know how many have applied and who?

Heard that one of the Assistants was going to apply. Not really sure who he is, name is Ikey Ray. Hometown boy, this past year was his first year on staff I think. Not really sure though.

Razorbacks48

I've never heard of him either...im sure more word will start coming out with all jobs after next monday's school board meetings

nchan

What do you guys make of the "no experience necessary" included in the job description?

Razorbacks48

They're just looking for someone to fill the spot

KentMurphy17

Quote from: nchan on January 11, 2017, 02:04:52 pm
What do you guys make of the "no experience necessary" included in the job description?
as more than likely expected....im sure they are just willing or even looking for a guy where this is his first head coaching job but is a young assistant somewhere...

Razorbacks48

January 12, 2017, 08:08:01 am #36 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:44:26 pm by Razorbacks48
agreed

Rida4Life

Is this a place where the right guy could win a little bit or is it a total dead end?  no nothing about the area.

xcat

They won 18 games in the last ten seasons. Not one winning season during that time. Make your own determination whether it's a career killer.

Razorbacks48

January 12, 2017, 09:52:22 am #39 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:45:14 pm by Razorbacks48
18 games in ten seasons?

esgibson00

Would be a great position for someone looking to get back to their "Roots". Probably wouldn't be a bad job, I'm sure expectations can't be real high when they are just trying to get student athletes back out there.

BulldogDad82

This was rays first year on staff. I had heard he moved back from louisiana to come home. Im sure this was the opportunity he was waiting on.

Razorbacks48

Quote from: BulldogDad82 on January 12, 2017, 07:22:10 pm
This was rays first year on staff. I had heard he moved back from louisiana to come home. Im sure this was the opportunity he was waiting on.
is he ready for the job if he gets it?

Made

Quote from: Razorbacks48 on January 13, 2017, 10:06:36 am
is he ready for the job if he gets it?
There are coaches with a whole lot more experience who have applied.....

BulldogDad82

Quote from: Made on January 13, 2017, 10:44:46 am
There are coaches with a whole lot more experience who have applied.....

All about finding the right fit for the job. Someone could have better credentials but if they leave within a year or two what did that do for the program?

Made

Quote from: BulldogDad82 on January 13, 2017, 11:15:36 am
All about finding the right fit for the job. Someone could have better credentials but if they leave within a year or two what did that do for the program?
If a good coach comes in for a year or two, leaves the team in a better situation than he inherited it, is that not the goal?...make it better?

BulldogDad82

Quote from: Made on January 13, 2017, 11:45:54 am
If a good coach comes in for a year or two, leaves the team in a better situation than he inherited it, is that not the goal?...make it better?

That was probably the goal with the last 5 hires in 8 or 9 years the school has had football.

Made

Quote from: BulldogDad82 on January 13, 2017, 11:59:27 am
That was probably the goal with the last 5 hires in 8 or 9 years the school has had football.
I understand what you are saying. But how many years experience did each of those coaches have when they came in? How many were promoted from within? If this guy has only been there for a year, why would he not leave in a year or two?

BulldogDad82

That's where he is from is what I was told.

Made

Quote from: BulldogDad82 on January 13, 2017, 12:45:54 pm
That's where he is from is what I was told.
So he's never been part of a winning program?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas