• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville Open (filled - Billy Dawson)

Started by Brian G, January 04, 2017, 06:46:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Pat Swilling on January 06, 2017, 09:25:00 am
My prediction is:

Benji Mahan
Billy Dawson
Zak Clark
Jamie Mitchell - (Longshot)

Wasn't Mahan the interim while they hired last year?  Dawson would be a good pick.  I think Clark may not have enough HC experience yet to get the job but he was at Fayetteville  as an assistant.  The Mitchell guy would be ok I think but I think Mahan maybe deserves a good look.  Loyalty should count and he has HC experience I think.

Baitshop

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 06, 2017, 02:15:20 pm
I apologize I took this thread way off track with the off hand comment about the retirement system.  I will leave it at this.  The problem we face with retirement systems, all the way from Social Security to the Arkansas Teacher Retirement System, is not "management".  It's too many retirees, who are living a lot longer, and who have been promised very generous retirement benefits,  in comparison to the # of people still working. 

I think that the culprit with Social Security is obviously the BILLIONS of dollars that Congress has "borrowed" over the years that they will never pay back. Social Security would have no solvency issues today if it had not been dipped into more than the dipped cone station at the Dairy Queen over the past 40+ years.

Iknewthemwhen

Fayetteville should have a nice list left over from last year of finalist that did not get selected.  They ought to be able to fill the position quickly unless they start from scratch.  I think the first thing to do is decide if there is someone on the staff that qualifies and would have the respect and loyalty of the remainder of the staff.  If that is the case, and I suspect it is, then they need to know if that's truly the way they want to go or if they must hire a Head Coach with an impressive record. 

Razorback Red

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't even consider a current staffer.  Too big a job for a first time HC.  This is the top program in the state that has won multiple state titles in the past several years.  It shouldn't be difficult to find a proven HC, but then again, I'm not sure if FHS will pay what it will require.  If they are willing to pay $100K, then they can get a really, really solid HC to keep on winning titles. 

I know they only had Coach Blankenship for 1 season, but that's the type of hire they need again. 

Brian G

Fayetteville has several former HC's on staff.

Razorback Red

Quote from: B.G. on January 06, 2017, 09:35:02 pm
Fayetteville has several former HC's on staff.

Thanks BG.  I would still pick a current HC from another big-time program over a current staffer. 

You and I both know it's not easy running any major program, lots of expectations to win now. 

Made

Quote from: Razorback Red on January 06, 2017, 10:05:46 pm
Thanks BG.  I would still pick a current HC from another big-time program over a current staffer. 

You and I both know it's not easy running any major program, lots of expectations to win now. 
Just curious what type of loyalty that inspires in the assistant coaches, if they knew no matter how long they worked for the program they would never be promoted to head honcho....better to leave the program, become established and hope the job comes open someday, if that is indeed the job they aspire to.

Okieback

Quote from: Razorback Red on January 04, 2017, 07:46:04 pm
Makes sense for Blankenship, at his age being close to grandkids is important.  Owasso is a nice job, but so it Fville.  I think this was about family.

As for FHS, maybe a slight drop off in talent, but still the best job in Arkansas and should win a title at least every 3 years. 

I'm guessing Z Clark will be a hot topic, but I would go after someone more proven.  Jamie Mitchell would be my top pick, and I would also look at Rick Jones and KKelley (about time for him to test his system at a large public school).  I also think a dark horse should be BPratt from West.  His system fits FHS perfectly and he worked wonders in 1 year at a new HS. 

At least this gives us something to talk about during the offseason.

Pratt is polar opposite of b blannkinship

Pat Swilling

I think there are a couple of guys who whould do well at FHS.  They know the program.  This is a loaded deck job.  Whoever they hire will win buncha games.  If they do hire outside the district I hope they keep this job in state.  Lotta great Ark Coaches would like this one.

Okieback

Quote from: rzrbacks123 on January 05, 2017, 11:23:21 am
Why is that such a bad thing for him or the educators that are allowed to retire?  I think most people believe that educators play a huge role in the development of our state's future.

Guys, he won't be able to retire from Arkansas any time soon.  And the big east side schools in Oklahoma DO throw money around like it's going out of style for their head coaches, regular teachers no.  And don't forget , he doesn't need the money.  He just finished a Nike deal, as a Nike coach.  And Tulsa university had to buy out the rest of his contract when he was fired.  So there is still money coming in for doing nothing if he wants.

sevenof400

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 06, 2017, 02:15:20 pm
I apologize I took this thread way off track with the off hand comment about the retirement system.  I will leave it at this.  The problem we face with retirement systems, all the way from Social Security to the Arkansas Teacher Retirement System, is not "management".  It's too many retirees, who are living a lot longer, and who have been promised very generous retirement benefits,  in comparison to the # of people still working.

How unthoughtful of them....

Now in all seriousness, a recent newsletter from ATRS made this observation:
Quote....The actuaries recently gave the ATRS Board the actuarial report on ATRS for the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2016. The report was positive. ATRS now has an amortization period to pay off its unfunded liabilities of 29 years. This is the shortest the amortization period has been in eight (8) years. The ATRS funded percentage is 81%, another strong number. The ATRS unfunded liabilities dropped by about $129 million dollars from the previous fiscal year....

Although one should always take a report from any source about itself with a huge grain of salt, I'm hoping the actuaries are doing their due diligence because I am not far from starting to draw retirement..

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 07, 2017, 10:58:22 am
How unthoughtful of them....

Now in all seriousness, a recent newsletter from ATRS made this observation:
Although one should always take a report from any source about itself with a huge grain of salt, I'm hoping the actuaries are doing their due diligence because I am not far from starting to draw retirement..

As long as they pay you off, it's good, right?

Iknewthemwhen

Arkansas teacher retirement is generally seen as one of the best in the U.S, both in the amount it yields to its members at retirement and the fiscal strength of the system itself.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Razorback Red on January 06, 2017, 09:16:06 pm
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't even consider a current staffer.  Too big a job for a first time HC.  This is the top program in the state that has won multiple state titles in the past several years.  It shouldn't be difficult to find a proven HC, but then again, I'm not sure if FHS will pay what it will require.  If they are willing to pay $100K, then they can get a really, really solid HC to keep on winning titles. 

I know they only had Coach Blankenship for 1 season, but that's the type of hire they need again. 
Quote from: Made on January 07, 2017, 02:10:32 am
Just curious what type of loyalty that inspires in the assistant coaches, if they knew no matter how long they worked for the program they would never be promoted to head honcho....better to leave the program, become established and hope the job comes open someday, if that is indeed the job they aspire to.

It seems to me that most of the schools in arkansas hire from outside when filling their coaching vacancies.  I agree that this hiring practice doesn't encourage your staff to stay put.

GotInfo?

Billy Dawson is who I am hearing.  You got to beleive that the decision makers at Fayetteville will try and make another run at Rick Jones and Scott Reed.  Could see Kevin Kelly getting a call too, but I don't see him leaving PA except for a D1 job.  And frankly, why would he. 

STUNNA

If im Fayetteville... Im throwing my money at 6 in state guys... Kelley, Jones, Hembree, Dawson, Volarich, and Bolding. But all besides Dawson are at powerhouse schools.. Dawson i think would be the easiest to pry away.

Baitshop

Quote from: GotInfo? on January 09, 2017, 09:14:40 am
Billy Dawson is who I am hearing.  You got to beleive that the decision makers at Fayetteville will try and make another run at Rick Jones and Scott Reed.  Could see Kevin Kelly getting a call too, but I don't see him leaving PA except for a D1 job.  And frankly, why would he. 

Rick Jones is not in play, IMO. He would have to take a $20k cut in pay, teach a class, and would not have control over his players that play baseball. (Baseball is an club sport in Greenwood and you don't get your kids in the spring until CRJ gets through with them) I would venture to guess that Rick Jones will only coach 3 or 4 more years anyway.

sevenof400

Quote from: Baitshop on January 09, 2017, 05:31:47 pm
Rick Jones is not in play, IMO. He would have to take a $20k cut in pay, teach a class, and would not have control over his players that play baseball. (Baseball is an club sport in Greenwood and you don't get your kids in the spring until CRJ gets through with them) I would venture to guess that Rick Jones will only coach 3 or 4 more years anyway.

Baitshop,

What do you mean by this?

Baitshop

I do not believe that Rick Jones would make himself available as a candidate for the Fayetteville job.

Less money and a lack of control over players and schedule.

PA Dad

Quote from: Baitshop on January 09, 2017, 06:51:02 pm
I do not believe that Rick Jones would make himself available as a candidate for the Fayetteville job.

Less money and a lack of control over players and schedule.

I don't think Kelley is in play for the same reasons.  He would, I think, demand complete control and not many schools are willing to grant that.

nuttinbuthogs

That control is a big factor.  Most schools are not going to allow that, when its spring its spring and they want to see kids in multi-sports.  In a few places that attitude is a killer for football.

Brian G

I'm against that kind of control.

nuttinbuthogs

Well tell that to those schools that allow some coaches to have it. 

Brian G

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 09, 2017, 11:54:58 pm
Well tell that to those schools that allow some coaches to have it. 
I'll tell anyone that wants to hear it.

They do it but I don't have to agree.

airitout

There is a problem with the number of players doing other sports in a school the size of Fayetteville?  this isn't 2 or 3 A ball.  how many football players play basketball and baseball?  How many players do each of those sports even carry?  i'm sure whomever gets the job will have plenty of control over his players, and probably won't care if the few who do play other sports do that, too.  the kids that play baseball for example are only hurting themselves some in that their back ups are getting some offseason reps they are not.  if your a great enough athlete to excel at multiple sports, i'm sure you will be just fine and the coach will have enough control. 

The Green Arrow

2A through 7A, a coach trying to control his players and keep them from playing other sports is just dumb IMO. A majority of the top athletes at each school would excel and contribute at some other sport whether it be baseball, basketball, soccer, track, what have you.  99% of college coaches America, for any sport, will tell you that they love to see their recruits play other sports. For one, it lets a kid enhance athletic skills that doing one sport might miss out on. Secondly, these kids might play one sport in college and one or two may may make a professional sports roster, but most of these kids will grow up to be coaches, bankers, car salesman and other ordinary people, and will enjoy the fact that they made the most of their time in high school. It sickens me when I hear of coaches that try to talk a kid out of playing another sport.

Bradshaw

I have no problem with programs having kids go to offseason before heading out to spring sport practice.  It makes them better athletes for all sports. I have a huge problem with a coach telling kids they can't play another sport! Most situations where the football coach gets them first are set up by the administration with the understanding that the kids are allowed or even encouraged to play other sports.
One thing to keep in mind in this situation: Not very many baseball, track, soccer, etc. coaches are fired for not winning enough games. However, there is pressure on head football coaches to win. This may not be the right thing but it is reality in today's world.

Baitshop

So, if coaches are fired for poor records, what are we telling the coaches that coach anything and everything but football about why they can't have access to the best athletes in their school? Is it just football coaches that have a right to the best athletes in their school?

The Green Arrow

Coaches in high school are very, very rarely fired for not winning. It's not easy to do from a legal standpoint.

ricepig

What schools/coaches tell their athletes they can only play a particular sport? Now, as was mentioned above, off season as long as it doesn't interfere with a spring sport isn't a problem.

purpleswag

Man, this thread jumped the tracks

Bradshaw

I certainly am not saying we should fire high school coaches based on their record in any sport. I do believe their record should be part of their evaluation but not the only thing. You are kidding yourself though if you say there is the same pressure to win on a baseball coach as there is on a football coach at most schools. While a school can't come right out and say "we are moving Coach ______ to 7th grade PE because he lost too many games", it certainly happens for that very reason.  On the flip side, these coaches are usually given more resources to win as well.  In most schools, the head coaches in the spring sports are often assistants in football or basketball also.

Made

Quote from: Bradshaw on January 10, 2017, 12:47:52 pm
"we are moving Coach ______ to 7th grade PE because he lost too many games",

"we are moving Coach ______ to 7th grade PE because we want to go in a different direction" ;)

Grizzlyfan

I don't think Jones has ever told a kid he "can't" play baseball but he certainly doesn't make it easy and at times has made the kids life miserable who tried to do it.

Marblehog

Its not true about playing other sports is better when you are talking about basketball.  How many D1 basketball players from the state of Arkansas have played football in the last ten years?  Very hard to do in a sport like basketball that requires so much skill and gym time.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 10, 2017, 02:03:56 pm
I don't think Jones has ever told a kid he "can't" play baseball but he certainly doesn't make it easy and at times has made the kids life miserable who tried to do it.

You think he is making Noland's life miserable?

Made

Quote from: Marblehog on January 10, 2017, 02:17:38 pm
Its not true about playing other sports is better when you are talking about basketball.  How many D1 basketball players from the state of Arkansas have played football in the last ten years?  Very hard to do in a sport like basketball that requires so much skill and gym time.
Sounds like a basketball coach.....if you are D1, then you're D1. Labron James was a 2 sport athlete, Charlie ward won the Heisman for goodness sakes. 

Iknewthemwhen

Wow!  That got heated up quickly.  I would say that there are many coaches who lose their head coaching position because of a lack of winning, I certainly would say it is not uncommon.  Reassignment is pretty easy.  I would guess that students in most schools are encouraged to play more than one sport.  I know this is not the case everywhere nor with every coach.  My personal opinion would be can you help the team and improve as an athlete by doing this.  If not, I would hope that a student/athlete would remain in the off season program that he is most interested in or performs most proficiently in.  I think some kids just want to be on every team, maybe for the fun of it, or possibly to get out of the weight room if associated with football.  An athlete that can do it all, and contribute, should.  He/she should also make the committment of their personal time to work in the weight room or shot the basketball, or throw a baseball during the time away from other sports.   

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2017, 02:32:38 pm
Noland and the starting SS last year (who was a freshman) both started in football this fall. No issues between the 2 sports but they did have to put in their time for each one. Unfortunately in today's world, all sports are year round so kids who play multiple sports have do not get time off from a sport because it is not in season. They are expected to continue to get reps in some capacity during the off season.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 10, 2017, 03:19:10 pm
Noland and the starting SS last year (who was a freshman) both started in football this fall. No issues between the 2 sports but they did have to put in their time for each one. Unfortunately in today's world, all sports are year round so kids who play multiple sports have do not get time off from a sport because it is not in season. They are expected to continue to get reps in some capacity during the off season.

A kid who chooses to participate does so with the understanding that they will give the appropriate commitment to each and every sport and team on which he is a member.  When they elect to play an in-season sport every season, they miss a lot of skill, speed, strength training for the others. 

ricepig

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 10, 2017, 03:19:10 pm

I've got no problem with that, Jonesboro's last two state championship teams in baseball had several starters who played both and started for both. However, the in-season sport takes priority as far as games and practices.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2017, 02:32:38 pm
Noland is the exception that proves the rule of Jones hypocrisy.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2017, 04:12:53 pm
I've got no problem with that, Jonesboro's last two state championship teams in baseball had several starters who played both and started for both. However, the in-season sport takes priority as far as games and practices.

Does this mean they owe no commitment to doing off season weight training, which is a huge benefit particularly to football, but certainly in all sports.

ricepig

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 10, 2017, 04:22:59 pm
Does this mean they owe no commitment to doing off season weight training, which is a huge benefit particularly to football, but certainly in all sports.

No, they workout, but they don't lift or workout on game days, inter-squad scrimmages etc, or, I told mine not to, lol. You do realize they are practicing in another sport, that's in-season, and it is a little more important? If a kid is playing two sports and contributing in both, then they aren't the ones you need to worry about doing the "work".

Iknewthemwhen

So, I want to know when and how you think these multi sport athletes work out for their second sport?  I've heard this debate over the years and it usually means not working out at all while they participate in a second or third sport.  The reasoning being that they are getting plenty of work in the "in season sport".  I don't buy that because of the lack of a strength and speed program for many of those sports which means football in particular takes a beating.  I have seen schools where everyone works out and then goes on to that second sport at an established time.  Cabot I know did this for years.

ricepig

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 10, 2017, 07:25:18 pm
So, I want to know when and how you think these multi sport athletes work out for their second sport?  I've heard this debate over the years and it usually means not working out at all while they participate in a second or third sport.  The reasoning being that they are getting plenty of work in the "in season sport".  I don't buy that because of the lack of a strength and speed program for many of those sports which means football in particular takes a beating.  I have seen schools where everyone works out and then goes on to that second sport at an established time.  Cabot I know did this for years.

Sounds like those you are familiar with have problems, it happens.

Iknewthemwhen

There is more than one way to skin a cat they say, but lack of off season training is a path to losing.  So again I ask for your suggestion as to how you would set this training up.  I'm just curious.

ricepig

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 10, 2017, 08:35:41 pm
There is more than one way to skin a cat they say, but lack of off season training is a path to losing.  So again I ask for your suggestion as to how you would set this training up.  I'm just curious.

I told you they did off-season lifts and workouts except on game days, or other important practices. They also had before school workouts for those who wished to do it, it wasn't mandatory, though. If a kid doesn't have the potential, which is like 97%, to play in college, what does it matter. If they are good enough to play two sports and contribute, then great for them, because it will soon be over.

Iknewthemwhen

Im not getting your point of view here.  You saying it doesn't matter if they don't do off season?  The goal is to be as good as you can and to contribute all you can.  I just don't think you can do that without training and in football that means weight room year round. IMO.

ricepig

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 10, 2017, 08:55:09 pm
Im not getting your point of view here.  You saying it doesn't matter if they don't do off season?  The goal is to be as good as you can and to contribute all you can.  I just don't think you can do that without training and in football that means weight room year round. IMO.

As you said, more than one way. My point is they are high school athletes, but mostly just kids. If they can play and contribute in more than one sport, good for them. How come you always read where these college coaches like multi-sport athletes?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas