• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A Defensive Player of the year

Started by Lumberjack123, December 18, 2016, 03:33:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumberjack123

Byron Person was robbed of 4A Defensive player of the year

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Lumberjack123 on December 18, 2016, 03:33:20 pm
His homeowner policy will not cover this.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on December 18, 2016, 04:32:45 pm
His homeowner policy will not cover this.

That's why I stay away from farm bureau. :)

AirWarren

But he has a state title ring. So....

Lumberjack123

Yea he do have a ring but he was the heart of the defense and so was number 48

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Lumberjack123 on December 18, 2016, 05:11:24 pm
Yea he do have a ring but he was the heart of the defense and so was number 48
Were you in Dumas watching basketball yesterday?

Dr. Defense

Hopefully LJ123 is not Byron Persons  :o

SUGARTOWN

So Lassiter didn't deserve it? Hmmm...

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on December 19, 2016, 12:11:56 pm
So Lassiter didn't deserve it? Hmmm...
Evidently he wasn't one of the two hearts of the defense.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Oldman on December 19, 2016, 12:26:44 pm

Not sure about the hearts, but Burks and Lassiter were the best 2 players on that defense.

Jacks990

Quote from: Oldman on December 19, 2016, 12:26:44 pm

Lassiter was the heart of the team

Jimbo Morphis

Lumberjack123

No this not Byron Person and Hayden should have gotten offensive player of thr year. Him and Traylen didnt start every game. Warren had a couple players that started every down on defense that should have been looked at.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Lumberjack123 on December 19, 2016, 05:47:59 pm
No this not Byron Person and Hayden should have gotten offensive player of thr year. Him and Traylen didnt start every game. Warren had a couple players that started every down on defense that should have been looked at.

Byron was a good player no doubt but Lassiter and Burks were the best defensive players hands down

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Dr. Defense on December 19, 2016, 08:22:44 pm
Byron was a good player no doubt but Lassiter and Burks were the best defensive players hands down
This from a Hampton fan.

Dr. Defense

Jacks990

Quote from: Lumberjack123 on December 19, 2016, 05:47:59 pm

Just imagine how many tackles Lassiter and Burks would've had if they played every game both ways

dc24

I think we all found it kind of weird that Hayden was up for Defensive Player of the Year, when he didn't play safety all year. You can make the argument that he is a better safety than QB, but he played more at QB. I'm sure there were several games this year that he didn't step on the field on the defensive side of the ball, but I may be wrong. I usually work Friday nights so I only got to watch a handful on the internet towards the end and keep up with scores mostly on here.

Seems like to me, from the outside looking in because I have no idea how the process works for these awards, that the nominators thought Hayden deserved an award, but wouldn't win offensive because of the season Hopkins had and that he'd have easier road on defense.

That's not a knock against Hayden or a vote for Person. Byron is a great player and I'm glad he got All-State and Hayden is a great player that deserves every honor he gets.

For what it's worth, when the "watch lists" for the awards were issued in November, Person was on the defensive list and Hayden was on the offensive list.

http://www.hootens.com/11-05-2016/2016-farm-bureau-insurance-awards-watch-lists/6004.html

KASH dba The Lumberjack

December 20, 2016, 11:47:46 am #18 Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:54:29 am by KASH dba The Lumberjack
DC is right. The Defense award is slightly political. There were several players that had better offensive performances better than Hayden, but for an undefeated, state champ QB to not win anything wouldn't have been fair either.
I'm happy for Hayden, he was the heart of the team and one heck of a player. Byron Persons lead the team in tackles and was our spark plug on several nights and he could have just as well had won the award. If Byron had won it, I would have been just as happy for him as I am for Hayden.
Both young men were great competitors and play hard every play but neither one was the best player on defense. Greyson Ashcraft was Warren's best defensive player. The way he played on the line is what allowed Lasitter, Persons and Burks to get the tackles they got. He kept everyone lined up correctly all year whether he was playing DE or LB. The proof is in the numbers. Warren averaged 20ish points per game allowed while he played. The last three games that he sat out for his knee injury, even while those other three played more on defense, Warren gave up an average of 31 points. An 11 point gain from the loss of one player is a lot.

I don't have sour grapes. Like I said, I'm happy for Hayden and would have been happy for Byron, but you can't ignore the numbers. All three seniors can be proud of the year they had. They rallied every week and fought through adversity after adversity and came out on top.

STUNNA

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on December 20, 2016, 11:47:46 am
DC is right. The Defense award is slightly political. There were several players that had better offensive performances better than Hayden, but for an undefeated, state champ QB to not win anything wouldn't have been fair either.
I'm happy for Hayden, he was the heart of the team and one heck of a player. Byron Persons lead the team in tackles and was our spark plug on several nights and he could have just as well had won the award. If Byron had won it, I would have been just as happy for him as I am for Hayden.
Both young men were great competitors and play hard every play but neither one was the best player on defense. Greyson Ashcraft was Warren's best defensive player. The way he played on the line is what allowed Lasitter, Persons and Burks to get the tackles they got. He kept everyone lined up correctly all year whether he was playing DE or LB. The proof is in the numbers. Warren averaged 20ish points per game allowed while he played. The last three games that he sat out for his knee injury, even while those other three played more on defense, Warren gave up an average of 31 points. An 11 point gain from the loss of one player is a lot.

I don't have sour grapes. Like I said, I'm happy for Hayden and would have been happy for Byron, but you can't ignore the numbers. All three seniors can be proud of the year they had. They rallied every week and fought through adversity after adversity and came out on top.

maybe they gave up more points the last three games because the teams were better?

LJ06

Quote from: STUNNA on December 20, 2016, 04:17:04 pm
maybe they gave up more points the last three games because the teams were better?

Exactly

Jacks990

Never seen so much Daddy love, is he All-American ESPN Top 30 too?

miamiskeeter

Political?????? How about the kid deserved it? Quit!!!!

Dr. Defense

Quote from: STUNNA on December 20, 2016, 04:17:04 pm

That's a ridiculous way to think! 😂

AirWarren

Superjack45

⬇🎤 And I am out this "shut your mouth" well said.

miamiskeeter

December 20, 2016, 08:04:48 pm #26 Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:09:43 pm by miamiskeeter
 :o ???

miamiskeeter

December 20, 2016, 08:08:51 pm #27 Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:11:54 pm by miamiskeeter
 ::)

LJ06

Quote from: miamiskeeter on December 20, 2016, 08:08:51 pm
I'm just a friend of a friend of Lassiter's parents & know they are hurt by all of the so-called Jack fans who love winning but also love badmouthing their son!

Who has exactly been "bad mouthing" him? Most of what I've seen is high praise. Kid played phenominal this season.

DaytonaDuck

Wow!  What are you accomplishing by all this. The award has been given by the ones who make the decisions. Evidently they gave it to the one they felt deserved it. All you are doing is sounding like "sour grapes" and hurting a kid by thinking another kid should have had the award. He didn't give the award to himself and the games I watched online he played all out all the time which ever side of the ball he was on. People need to get a grip and quit taking the joy of an award away from a kid. Yeah a kid.

LJ06

Quote from: DaytonaDuck on December 20, 2016, 08:56:00 pm
Wow!  What are you accomplishing by all this. The award has been given by the ones who make the decisions. Evidently they gave it to the one they felt deserved it. All you are doing is sounding like "sour grapes" and hurting a kid by thinking another kid should have had the award. He didn't give the award to himself and the games I watched online he played all out all the time which ever side of the ball he was on. People need to get a grip and quit taking the joy of an award away from a kid. Yeah a kid.

The individual awards are nice and all, but the only award that matters as a whole is that state title. Good job this season Jacks.

Superjack45

Look 👀 guys I was going to be quite about this but Hayden Lassiter (really don't like using kids names) is what being a Lumberjack is all about the young man has grit and heart and it showed on each and every play that he was in on. I say this proudly he is The Best QB to come threw here(why you say that) I am going to tell you why I say this let's take a look at Reid and what he did with what he had around him, the guy was a heck of a player. Let's look at Hayden and what he had around him and clearly from off top you can tell who was the most Cerebral of the 2 because Hayden had younger guys around him and Reid had a lot of Junior receivers around him and I know for a fact one of the best in Bret and also T-Rod. So this Young man did more with less than any other QB that has come through here, so let's stop all The Who should or could don't take what all theses young man have worked for and make it negative. I am very proud of Hayden and Byron and it really was not about no one player this is one of Bo teams that played as a whole unit and nobody was selfish. Also we Lumberjack stick together no division in the Ranks. I say again Hayden was the ❤️ of the team but you also gotta have legs and arms and feet and 👀 and so on and so forth Come on Guys! Let's Get It Jacks #Grindx2

dc24

Look, I am not one to hold back on here much, but certainly didn't mean to start a "my kid is better than your kid" argument, even though the poster in question did that, but he/she did bring up a valid point in my opinion.

The way it was presented was certainly in a "sour grapes" taste, but I don't have a problem with someone questioning the process. However, at the end of the day, I do think Hayden deserved the award, and I think there are other players on Warren's team and other teams around 4A that could make that argument. I don't think Hayden would have cared if he didn't get the award and I'm sure Byron doesn't either, but the parents care, and parents are usually blithering idiots when it comes to their kids with a few exceptions.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: LJ06 on December 20, 2016, 09:16:39 pm
The individual awards are nice and all, but the only award that matters as a whole is that state title. Good job this season Jacks.
Bingo

Maynard G Krebs

Let me see if I understand......Warren wins another state title, is undefeated and someone has to b!@ch?

AirWarren

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 21, 2016, 10:12:13 am
Let me see if I understand......Warren wins another state title, is undefeated and someone has to b!@ch?

Yup. Apparently so.

Individual awards are great. But like Lj said, the entire team won a state title. That's what should matter.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: AirWarren on December 21, 2016, 10:16:16 am
Yup. Apparently so.

Individual awards are great. But like Lj said, the entire team won a state title. That's what should matter.

In other news....

You would be proud of me... I woke up this morning and decided to dress like a 7th grader....

AirWarren

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 21, 2016, 11:57:13 am
In other news....

You would be proud of me... I woke up this morning and decided to dress like a 7th grader....

American eagle tank top instead of batman tank top?
Nike windsuit pants instead of Russell athletic?
Under armour shoes instead of osh kosh B gosh?

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: AirWarren on December 21, 2016, 12:17:45 pm
American eagle tank top instead of batman tank top?
Nike windsuit pants instead of Russell athletic?
Under armour shoes instead of osh kosh B gosh?

Nope.... I'm have sleeves today....

AirWarren

$aintMaximu$

AirWarren

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 21, 2016, 04:11:22 pm
Josh gone again?

Honestly I haven't seen him.

I've been just browsing the board honestly. Not much going on here. This thread is point in case.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: AirWarren on December 21, 2016, 04:12:51 pm
Honestly I haven't seen him.

I've been just browsing the board honestly. Not much going on here. This thread is point in case.

Hey, my wardrobe is pretty important stuff to Walt....

Lumberjackfan1978

That state title is all that matters.Get a grip on it

KASH dba The Lumberjack

I really could care less about how some of you "think" you know how I feel. I couldn't be more happy for Hayden!  I was trying to explain that he could have won either award, but the powers that be gave the the offensive award a Scrapper, ugh, and that they couldn't overlook a undefeated state champ, so they gave him the Defensive Player OTY.  Look #15 was our best QB, best punter, best holder, 2nd best receiver,  probably our best runner, and one great safety.  He was Warren's BEST ALL AROUND PLAYER!!!!!! But he wasn't any better, defensively, than any other seniors at their respective positions, in my, and I repeat, MY opinion. I believe the AAA should have another award of Best All Around Athlete, a 4A player of the year award. An honor like that would have been more fitting for the young man!

Something that everyone has missed is the fact nobody believes Warren can play defense. For two years running, we've had the award come to our program! Sour grapes on that...

Jacks990

Dr. Defense

Superjack45

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on December 22, 2016, 12:48:07 pm
I really could care less about how some of you "think" you know how I feel. I couldn't be more happy for Hayden!  I was trying to explain that he could have won either award, but the powers that be gave the the offensive award a Scrapper, ugh, and that they couldn't overlook a undefeated state champ, so they gave him the Defensive Player OTY.  Look #15 was our best QB, best punter, best holder, 2nd best receiver,  probably our best runner, and one great safety.  He was Warren's BEST ALL AROUND PLAYER!!!!!! But he wasn't any better, defensively, than any other seniors at their respective positions, in my, and I repeat, MY opinion. I believe the AAA should have another award of Best All Around Athlete, a 4A player of the year award. An honor like that would have been more fitting for the young man!

Something that everyone has missed is the fact nobody believes Warren can play defense. For two years running, we've had the award come to our program! Sour grapes on that...
Love it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas