• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A Boys Soccer

Started by jimmyt, December 15, 2016, 09:59:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyt

I feel like it's time to get some discussion started about teams, players, changes, and anything else footy.

It seems like the top 4 from each conf shouldn't change a whole lot... with the exception of LRCA moving from the West to the Central. So here's a guess on how it goes with some notable players as well.

Central:
PA and LRCA will duke it out for 1 and 2. PA should be down but you really never know. With Justin Charette graduating, that leaves a big void on the PA team. He has been a scoring threat for years.

McClellan did well finishing as the 3 seed last year and they return two of their best players Angel Rodriguez and Jesus Martinez. I see these guys battling it out with Sylvan, Beebe, and Fair for the 3 or 4 seeds. Sylvan's best players were two freshman last year by the names of Tito Mendoza and Andrew Menke. The youth on that team is very promising. Beebe also had a solid freshman who led their team in goals (13) named Daniel Martinez. Fair had arguably one of the best players in the conference by the name of Christopher Guerrero who was also a freshman. They lost a big playmaker named Nery Flores as he graduated. Parkview is also a team that could compete for one of those spots but are the mystery team moving down from 6A.

South:
Hot Springs found a way to win the State Championship last year. The scariest thing about it is they only graduated 2 starters from that team. The noteable player from Hot Springs is the Gatorade Player of the Year Erick Guadron. He has a chance to break the career scoring record this year.
What is unfortunate for Hot Springs though is that they have to play in a powerhouse conference that could beat most 6A teams. Teams like Hope, Lakeside, and Dequeen make it tough to pick who will be 1-4 but it should be a combination of those 4. My guess is Hot Springs and Dequeen at 1 and 2. Lakeside at 3 and Hope at 4.
Lakeside loses their leading goal scorer (20) in Spencer Plumlee and 7 others but return Jack Butler (11 assist). Hope is losing 11 seniors but always find a way to stay competitive. Dequeen loses senior Hugo Martinez who scored 19 goals but returns the top scorer Jose Martinez (23) and Alejandro Lerma (10) both of whom were freshman last year.

East:
Valley View is always a favorite in the East. The loss of Brock Davis, their leasing scorer with 27 goals will hurt, but that will just give senior Adam Jaksic (16) more opportunities to shine.
Nettleton only loses 3 seniors and could compete for the 2 seed. Green County Tech and Batesville will also make a run for that 2nd spot. Batesville only loses 4 seniors.

West:
Maumelle seems like the heavy favorite again. The rising Junior Eleodoro Martinez is a special player for this team. He can score at any moment.
Clarksville loses Ngae Lay who had 12 goals on the season but should compete with Greenbrier, Vilonia, and Harrison for the 2 seed. Vilonia loses big threat Cobi Johnson in the middle but younger brother Eli Johnson will be there to put the ball in the net as a sophomore.

Please feel free to add players to watch and any more insight. I know we are all looking forward to another fun year.

VHSCoach2

Nice write-up, jimmyt.  I agree with your picks for the favorites in each conference.

Curious, do you have one prepared for the 5A girls as well?

Another cause for discussion: which 5A/6A blended conference will be the toughest overall for the 5A teams (as in, which 6A teams will give the most fits to the 5A schools)?

GobSoccerFan12

mijally

Does anyone know if the 5A west is having a conference tournament with only 6 teams and how will it work since the west side only has two teams and they east side has 4?

sevenof400

December 22, 2016, 03:48:18 pm #4 Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:50:02 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: mijally on December 22, 2016, 03:35:17 pm
Does anyone know if the 5A west is having a conference tournament with only 6 teams and how will it work since the west side only has two teams and they east side has 4?

In the 5A West, you'll have two divisions for soccer:

5A West - West: Harrison, Clarksville, Morrilton
5A West - East: Greenbrier, Vilonia, Maumelle

Once seeded with the divisions, you'll have the following:

2nd West division vs 3rd East division
2nd East division vs 3rd West division

The winners of those games will advance to state along with the #1 seeds from the East and West division. 

These four teams will finish off the conference tournament to rank the teams for the state playoff.   

1st Round          2nd Round               3rd Round               

1st East

2 West                                             Winner

Winner
3 East   

1st West

2 East                                             Winner

Winner
3 West   

For the state tournament, 1 seed is the winner of the 3rd round game, 2 seed is the loser of that game.
The 2nd round losers will play each other for 3rd / 4th seed at the state tournament.

mijally

VHSCoach2

Spot on, seven.  Just one correction here:

5A West - West: Harrison, Clarksville, Maumelle
5A West - East: Greenbrier, Vilonia, Morrilton

VHSCoach2

Quote from: mijally on December 22, 2016, 03:35:17 pm

As seven posted, each side will have three schools.

We lost Little Rock Christian to the Central.

Here is a link for all of the conferences and the 5A/6A blended districts (blah....):

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Soccer/2017/2017_Soccer_Conferences.pdf

JMBknvc

Thought I had read something on how the 5A Teams were going to be seeded for the Conference Tournament, but not able to find it now. Can anyone enlighten us on how the teams will be seeded for the conference tournament? The East and South have all but one team in the 5A/6A District. However, the West and Central have teams in three different 5A/6A Districts. Then how and where will the Conference Tournaments be played at for each 5A Division?

VHSCoach2

Quote from: JMBknvc on December 23, 2016, 11:23:54 am
Thought I had read something on how the 5A Teams were going to be seeded for the Conference Tournament, but not able to find it now. Can anyone enlighten us on how the teams will be seeded for the conference tournament? The East and South have all but one team in the 5A/6A District. However, the West and Central have teams in three different 5A/6A Districts. Then how and where will the Conference Tournaments be played at for each 5A Division?

For the 5A West, teams will be seeded 1-3 in the "East Division" and 1-3 in the "West Division" based on head-to-head results.

The 5A West "West Division" is Harrison, Maumelle, and Clarksville.  The 5A West "East Division" is Vilonia, Greenbrier, and Morrilton.

sevenof400 has a great explanation a couple posts above on how the tournament will work.  The 5A West Conference Tournament will be in Harrison.

Not sure about any of the other conferences.

JMBknvc

Yes, his post is a good explanation about the tournament. However, it does not state how or who will seed the teams for the conference tournament. So, Harrison for the 5A West Tournament? So, were bids put in to host the tournament just like State? Any links to the AAA to explain? 

VHSCoach2

Quote from: JMBknvc on December 23, 2016, 01:17:50 pm
Yes, his post is a good explanation about the tournament. However, it does not state how or who will seed the teams for the conference tournament. So, Harrison for the 5A West Tournament? So, were bids put in to host the tournament just like State? Any links to the AAA to explain?

The seeds will be determined based on head-to-head results for each side... i.e., Harrison, Maumelle, Clarksville will be seeded 1-3 based on their results against each other in the "West Division", and Greenbrier, Vilonia, and Morrilton will be seeded 1-3 based on their results against each other in the "East Division."  On-field results determine the seeds.

There were no bids to host the conference tournament.  We were told "Harrison is hosting it" with little (more like no) input otherwise...

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

December 23, 2016, 04:28:54 pm #12 Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:30:51 pm by Coach Sturdivant, HS
We were told the South seeding for the 5A South district tournament will be determined by voting by the 5A head coaches from the South.

Also do not know where our district tournament will be held yet.

JMBknvc

VHSCoach2, thanks for the info. Are the three west teams only going to play once or will there be a home and away game? Well, Harrison is the site for the west conference tournament. Wonder if it will rotate to each one of the schools in the upcoming years. 

Coach Sturdivant, voting from the coaches in the conference is what I heard and think it will be interesting to see how that works out. Furthermore, will White Hall play any of the other south teams in the regular season? If so, looks like the seeding might work itself out during the course of the season, but place a lot of pressure on that single game matchup. Unless, they continue to play the home and away series. 

VHSCoach2

Quote from: JMBknvc on December 24, 2016, 12:46:26 pm
VHSCoach2, thanks for the info. Are the three west teams only going to play once or will there be a home and away game? Well, Harrison is the site for the west conference tournament. Wonder if it will rotate to each one of the schools in the upcoming years. 

Coach Sturdivant, voting from the coaches in the conference is what I heard and think it will be interesting to see how that works out. Furthermore, will White Hall play any of the other south teams in the regular season? If so, looks like the seeding might work itself out during the course of the season, but place a lot of pressure on that single game matchup. Unless, they continue to play the home and away series.

You're quite welcome! Each side will play home-and-homes against the other two schools.  So in all actuality, using Vilonia as an example, the only "conference" games that have any meaning are the two against Morrilton and the two against Greenbrier.  The two against Batesville, Beebe, Mountain Home, and Searcy mean nothing for seeing purposes.

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Quote from: JMBknvc on December 24, 2016, 12:46:26 pm

I haven't looked at everyone's schedule yet but I do know that while we aren't scheduled to play White Hall we are playing Benton as our final regular season game before the district tournament since they are in the same district as WH as a benchmark.

I think Lakeside might also be playing Benton or White Hall as well but I'm not 100% sure. We had all talked at our district meeting about scheduling White Hall but the schedule we have didn't allow that opportunity for everyone.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Wait, there are only 6 teams in the West?  Why do neither Alma nor Farmington have a soccer team?

sevenof400

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on January 16, 2017, 10:41:45 pm
Wait, there are only 6 teams in the West?  Why do neither Alma nor Farmington have a soccer team?

Communism.

mijally

hogbert

Actually communists ESPECIALLY play soccer. 

sevenof400

Sir Alex

Where is Rambo when you need him?

WillC

Just my opinion, but a conference tournament with so few teams seems dumb. If it were up to me, I would just stick with the round robin and seed them based on standings.

EelDran

Quote from: WillC on January 27, 2017, 12:34:44 am
Just my opinion, but a conference tournament with so few teams seems dumb. If it were up to me, I would just stick with the round robin and seed them based on standings.

Agreed

mijally

Quote from: WillC on January 27, 2017, 12:34:44 am
It's all about the bid money generated from having the tournament and not what makes sense.

WillC

Quote from: mijally on January 27, 2017, 11:11:33 am
It's all about the bid money generated from having the tournament and not what makes sense.
Exactly.

Sir Alex

Quote from: mijally on January 27, 2017, 11:11:33 am

The AAA does not take money from the conference tournament.  It is the only way to send teams to state since everyone is split into blended conferences. I have not heard one fan or coach that likes this new system. No love here.

mijally

I didn't realize they take no money from the conference tournament. So when this was decided was their a beneficial reason for this option?  Maybe in the big picture with all the classifications the travel is significantly less?  Or maybe just trying something different I guess.

Sir Alex

Quote from: mijally on January 29, 2017, 09:45:22 am
I didn't realize they take no money from the conference tournament. So when this was decided was their a beneficial reason for this option?  Maybe in the big picture with all the classifications the travel is significantly less?  Or maybe just trying something different I guess.

Maumelle was probably the only one with less travel. In the end the rest of the 5A West is traveling more plus the expense of the conference tourney.  Dumb dumb dumb!  Took away the meaning of regular conference games and replaced them with a win your in tournament. The 6A problem now has become everyone's problem.

VHSCoach2

I have heard rumblings that the 5A will petition to AAA to be left alone for all sports when this blended conference mess is over after the Spring 2018 season.

Let's hope the AAA listens to reason (HA!) and does what's best for the student-athletes in 5A.

mijally

I'll be curious to see the game results between the classes to see if there is a winning percentage advantage for the larger classes. In basketball 5A seems to have an advantage at the top end. 

ClarksvilleFutbol

February 01, 2017, 05:42:25 pm #31 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:47:42 pm by ClarksvilleFutbol
Should be exciting to see how the 5A teams perform against the 6A teams.

mijally

6a soccer across the board is a lot stronger than 6a basketball this year. That west district is going to be brutal for the 5a teams. That district in soccer will be like the central district in basketball and the south district won't be far behind.  Looks like potentially some real good matchups.

MB Hog

February 06, 2017, 11:17:26 am #33 Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:19:05 am by MB Hog
Quote from: ClarksvilleFutbol on February 01, 2017, 05:42:25 pm
Should be exciting to see how the 5A teams perform against the 6A teams.
I think the only 6A teams PA plays this year (at least for girls) are Hall and Jacksonville.  Not sure what kind of program Hall has, but Jacksonville was in 5A Central through last year and they've not been very good during the last three years I've seen them.

Does anyone know how the Hall girls perform in soccer?

Edit:  Sorry, just saw the thread is about boys soccer... I'd still be interested to know about the Hall girls soccer program, though, if someone has an answer.

pantherdad

LR Hall girls struggled last season, I believe they finished 1-11 last year.

MB Hog

Arkansas8

2 more players to look at from De Queen are Misael Moreno(RB)and Leonardo Dominguez(CB)!! They both will be good defenders and we will see if anybody can get past the defense!!  ;)

WillC

Quote from: Sir Alex on January 30, 2017, 10:43:42 pm
Maumelle was probably the only one with less travel. In the end the rest of the 5A West is traveling more plus the expense of the conference tourney.  Dumb dumb dumb!  Took away the meaning of regular conference games and replaced them with a win your in tournament. The 6A problem now has become everyone's problem.
I echo the sentiment that they're taking away the meaning of conference games.  The 5A now has a 2-3 game season with 16-18 preseason games.

bxsoccer

White Hall is producing probably their best team yet. Probably the best senior class the team has seen. They have new faces but aren't new to the game especially on offense. They have depth in their forwards and midfield and they'll be an offensive threat this year. They have a really strong back 4 who are quick and reliable. There is defintely talent on the back line as they switch out defenders consistently. They have two great keepers who will be ready to go when the season starts!

ARSoccer25

Hot Springs>>>>>>> everyone else.

Go Postal

Quote from: mijally on February 02, 2017, 08:52:40 am
6a soccer across the board is a lot stronger than 6a basketball this year. That west district is going to be brutal for the 5a teams. That district in soccer will be like the central district in basketball and the south district won't be far behind.  Looks like potentially some real good matchups.
This^^^^
mijally is right on this.  I was really surprised that Harrison was the only town that had both boys and girls teams from the West going to the basketball playoffs.
The soccer blended conference CCD-1 will be loaded for both boys and girls.

sevenof400

Quote from: Go Postal on February 28, 2017, 07:17:11 am
The soccer blended conference CCD-1 will be loaded for both boys and girls.

Which will serve Harrison well in the post season.  We've seen this same phenomena in the past for Russellville and Siloam Springs when they were in the blended 6A/7A - playing better competition readies a team for post season. 

ClarksvilleFutbol

So LRCA beats Maumelle 3-0, Maumelle beats PA 5-1, and PA beats LRCA 3-1. Interesting results. Anyone have any insight on the central, and how these teams are looking?

hogbert

none of them are very good. that's my insight. last nights LRCA/PA game was as ugly a soccer game as I've seen in a while.

ClarksvilleFutbol

Really? I've heard LRCA and PA are replacing a lot, but Maumelle? They return quite a lot from last year don't they?

JMBknvc

Quote from: ClarksvilleFutbol on March 31, 2017, 09:02:52 am
So LRCA beats Maumelle 3-0, Maumelle beats PA 5-1, and PA beats LRCA 3-1. Interesting results. Anyone have any insight on the central, and how these teams are looking?

LRCA vs Maumelle, it was a prime case the result did not reflect the match (my 2 cents). LRCA was able to finish on their opportunities where Maumelle did not capitalize on any of their's. Not saying the Refereeing costed Maumelle the match but several calls that were made, did have a very big impact on the match. The calls even left the LRCA fans I was with scratching and shacking their heads. Nevertheless, at the end of the night it was LRCA 3 and Maumelle 0, CONGRATS LRCA! Will have to see what the result of next week's rematch will be and the match vs Hall. Next week is big one for Maumelle. 

The other Team to look at is Hall in the 5A/6A which play LRCA tonight.
win 3-0 over PA
win 3-2 over LRCA (PK's) heard match was very physical

ClarksvilleFutbol, just remember that Maumelle is still in the 5A West Conference but playing in the Central Division.

ClarksvilleFutbol

March 31, 2017, 12:43:51 pm #46 Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:02:51 pm by ClarksvilleFutbol
Thanks for the info!

mijally

Quote from: ClarksvilleFutbol on March 31, 2017, 09:02:52 am
Maumelle is a bit inconsistent but seem to be getting better. They play best like all teams when they move the ball quickly like we did at PA. That was a good game for us.  Other games I thought we were selfish when we got behind trying to play hero ball.  I see guys breaking open often but don't get the ball. When that gets fixed we will be fine.

sssuperpantherfan2

I liked the 6a/7a blended better or just bump teams up or down if you don't have enough in a classification. The double round robin playing is crazy too, I would like to play more 7a schools local to SS but we can't fit in our schedule. It's good for teams to play up for better competition.

Sir Alex

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on April 01, 2017, 08:15:19 am
I liked the 6a/7a blended better or just bump teams up or down if you don't have enough in a classification. The double round robin playing is crazy too, I would like to play more 7a schools local to SS but we can't fit in our schedule. It's good for teams to play up for better competition.

How can you not fit it in your schedule there are only 5 teams in your blended conference which translates to 8 total conference games. You have 8-10 games to play 7a West teams.  The 7a west is probably the reason you don't play them. They are all locked in with 14 conference games.

I agree with you about blended 6a/7a, it is a much better situation than the blended 5a/6a.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas