• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playoff scenarios

Started by ricepig, October 29, 2016, 09:37:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pr8hd

Quote from: Valleysports on November 01, 2016, 11:44:42 am
Greenwood is a public school with recruiting privilege like a private school, right?  Learned that from the many threads on players choosing to go to Greenwood (vs Southside) for the football program.  I'm all for going to the best program, athletics or academics.  Did it myself to play 5A Texas.  j

::)

Yes, we all know Hackett is a virtual recruiting hotbed of D1 talent in this area for GW and that GW is going after the 5'9"-5'10" kids in the Southside district with an average skill set and leaving them with the 6'3"-6'4" guys because we don't want it to become obvious. We gained a lot when the Hartford Hustlers had to shutter their football program too. If GW recruits, they need to up their genetic lottery standards by a whole lot. Maybe that Texas 5A school you mentioned might want to mosey on up to Hackett and do some scouting/recruiting of their own. After all, they are the IMG Academy of South Sebastian County at least according to some.

admorris24

I would not say Benton loses all their big games.  I am not going bash kids or coaches on this forum.  They are 17/18 year old kids, but with our predicable offense, we are still averaging 41 points a game.  Seems like we were the last team to beat PB @ PB.  Is that a big enough game for the conference championship?  We have beat ED 5 times in the last 3 years.  2 of those in the playoffs.  Are those big games?  We have not played to our potential this year, but in my opinion, it is a result of turnovers.

Valleysports

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 01, 2016, 12:52:50 pm
::)

Yes, we all know Hackett is a virtual recruiting hotbed of D1 talent in this area for GW and that GW is going after the 5'9"-5'10" kids in the Southside district with an average skill set and leaving them with the 6'3"-6'4" guys because we don't want it to become obvious. We gained a lot when the Hartford Hustlers had to shutter their football program too. If GW recruits, they need to up their genetic lottery standards by a whole lot. Maybe that Texas 5A school you mentioned might want to mosey on up to Hackett and do some scouting/recruiting of their own. After all, they are the IMG Academy of South Sebastian County at least according to some.

I'm afraid I don't follow the 5'9" kid recruiting thing, lotteries, Academy of Sebastian?  So Greenwood has a lot of D1 Talent? 

sportsguy80

Quote from: admorris24 on November 01, 2016, 04:25:03 pm
I would not say Benton loses all their big games.  I am not going bash kids or coaches on this forum.  They are 17/18 year old kids, but with our predicable offense, we are still averaging 41 points a game.  Seems like we were the last team to beat PB @ PB.  Is that a big enough game for the conference championship?  We have beat ED 5 times in the last 3 years.  2 of those in the playoffs.  Are those big games?  We have not played to our potential this year, but in my opinion, it is a result of turnovers.
It can never just be one thing when it comes to losing multiple games. If turnovers are a big issue like you say then it does fall back on the coaching some. You compare past wins but remember it was under another head coach. This coach is a good one from what I've seen and heard but he is still fairly new to Benton. Time will tell on how successful he will be but expectations are high for this talented team.

Wildcat Football

Quote from: admorris24 on November 01, 2016, 04:25:03 pm
OK, you got me....all good points.

Pr8hd

Quote from: admorris24 on November 01, 2016, 10:55:48 am
Benton did come out a little flat in my opinion.  LH had a pick 6 on first offensive series then returned a fumble to the Benton 8 on the 3rd series, so turnovers were the main difference for LH early success.  Benton had 33-29 lead late in the 4th qtr, but we did not convert a 4th and short.  LH completed a 4th and 5 hail mary with 1:00 to play to extend their drive and then scored on next play.  Benton had chance to send game in OT with fg, but holder bobbled snap as regular holder was out with an injury.  If you look at stats, Benton dominated by doubling LH in total offense, but turnovers were the difference. #4 and #1 are the 2 big injuries for Benton this week against Sheridan as neither finished the LH game.

Thanks for insight AD and OB, it was a head-scratcher for sure when I saw the early score and final of that one last week. LH has been hard to peg and I don't think GW will take them lightly especially @ home.

itsslim

PLEASE STOP WITH ALL THE GREENWOOD TALK, THE 3 PEAT IS ON ITS WAY!!!! Greenwood does have decent program though
We can't wait for a month and a half of high school football playoffs all around the country. Perennial contenders will try to add to their storied traditions, while some newly competitive programs will try to bring home a title for the first time in school history.

This week, let's take a quick look at the country's all-time leaders in football state championships - the blue-blood programs that compete year in and year out. These communities revolve around high school football, and you'd better believe each one of these fanbases expects another title in 2016:
*Statistics according to the NFHS Record Book, with most recent title in parenthesis

12. Valdosta High School (GA) - 23 State Titles (1998)

11. Pine Bluff High School (AR) - 23 State Titles (2015)

10. Massillon Washington (OH) - 24 State Titles (1970)

9. Phoenix Union (AZ) - 25 State Titles (1955)

8. Lawrence High School (KS) - 26 State Titles (1995)

7. River Ridge John Curtis Christian (LA) - 26 State Titles (2013)

6. Omaha Creighton Prep (NE) - 27 State Titles (2004)

5. Butte High School (MT) - 27 State Titles (2012)

4. Everett High School (MA) - 28 State Titles (2012)

3. Artesia High School (NM) - 29 State Titles (2015)

2. Little Rock Central (AR) - 32 State Titles (2004)

1. Sioux Falls Washington (SD) - 39 State Titles (2015)

Pr8hd

November 03, 2016, 09:31:40 am #57 Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:43:23 pm by Pr8hd
It is nice to see two AR schools in the Top 12. However,  a couple of those teams  on this list haven't been relevant in over a decade or more  it looks like, one (AZ) not even in half a century (1955). SD and MT don't strike me as football power house states either. I'm not sure when or if Central will be a major player in 7A again based on the rumblings & management of the LR school district. Like Central, I am sure some of these programs have seen better days. Looks like if PB wins another, they would be tied in the top 10.

Valleysports

Remember all the conspiracy theorist over the Allen Family QB's.  They ain't no good but as long as their daddy is part of the program, yadayadayada - - - - -   Haven't heard much about that lately.   ;)

Made

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 01, 2016, 09:25:44 am
Last year's GW team was much better.  This year's team is good, but like you said I think they lack playmakers like Morgan and Padilla on the 2015 team.  Hey, GW is nothing but a bunch of winners so they can make it all the way, but they are not more athletic than Jonesboro, Marion, PB, Russellville, or WM. Unfortunately, they have the best coach in the state.

3 of the teams mentioned above, the coaches have been there 3 or less years. Each of those coaches took teams with previous records of 3 or less wins before their arrival....kinda nice you point them out as being the ones to watch. behind Greenwood of course.... ;) Ready to see what happens in a couple of years.

Jeep71

I think you missed the point.

B2 Stealth Bomber

To try and steer this back to the topic of the thread for a couple of posts I need some help.

I have seen in our newspaper in Mtn Home that if the Bombers beat West Memphis and Marion beats Jonesboro that there is the possibility that MH could finish 4th and host.

I have looked and tried to come up with a scenario where that is possible and don't see it. Can someone smarter than me see that as a possibility? 

Made

Quote from: B2 Stealth Bomber on November 03, 2016, 06:37:05 pm
To try and steer this back to the topic of the thread for a couple of posts I need some help.

I have seen in our newspaper in Mtn Home that if the Bombers beat West Memphis and Marion beats Jonesboro that there is the possibility that MH could finish 4th and host.

I have looked and tried to come up with a scenario where that is possible and don't see it. Can someone smarter than me see that as a possibility? 

If those two games shake out that way, then

PB 6-1
Marion 5-2
Jonesboro 5-2
Mt. Home 4-3---would have the head to head over west mem with same record
West Mem 4-3

If west mem loses and marion loses

Jonesboro 6-1
PB 6-1
West Mem 4-3
Marion 4-3
Mt. Home 4-3 if Mt. Home wins by less than 12...they would vault to 4 seed if they win by 12 or more

If West Mem wins and Marion loses then the same seeding

Jonesboro 6-1
PB 6-1
West Mem 5-2
Marion 4-3
Mt. Home 3-4

B2 Stealth Bomber

Thanks makes sense. Don't really know what I was doing wrong

ricepig

Well, Jonesboro secured the #1 seed and PB the #2. WM and MH will determine the order of #3,#4, and #5. El Dorado coaches were scouting the loser(Marion), I guess they figure they will be the #4.

maxswine

Pretty sure that West Memphis will be the 3 no matter what.  Even with a 3 way tie, they will be a 3 seed through the tie breakers.

ricepig

Quote from: maxswine on November 03, 2016, 10:33:07 pm
Pretty sure that West Memphis will be the 3 no matter what.  Even with a 3 way tie, they will be a 3 seed through the tie breakers.

Believe so, too. About the time I get it figured out, I realize I forgot a step. MH comes in 3rd in a points battle if they all tie, so it should be WM, Marion, and MH no matter the results of the game tomorrow night.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas