• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Measuring for a first down

Started by Oldbadger, September 25, 2016, 03:05:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldbadger

Has anyone seen an official pick a ball up from across the field and carry it to the nearest hashmark to measure for a first down? I recently witnessed this and was dumbfounded. It was done twice in the same game.

Rulesman

The proper mechanic is to bring the ball to the official who has the forward progress spot and have that official mark the ball for measurement. When measurement is completed, the ball will then be moved to the actual dead ball spot, or the hash if the ball became dead in a side zone.

Oldbadger

Although it didn't cost them the game, it did, in my opinion, cost Benton a first down.  I was sitting directly aligned with where the official who spotted the ball was. It was close and needed to be measured.  One official picked the ball up from all the way across the field, and brought it all the way across the field to the hashmark nearest the chains.  No human can possibly spot the ball exactly where it should be after moving it that far.  Benton lost the first down by about 3 inches.  The crew seemed very inexperienced as they seemed to huddle to discuss flags frequently.  As I said, however, officiating did not cost the game, and aside from this one instance, they did a good job.

PTreferee

Rulesman, I have always thought the mechanic of tossing the ball to the spotting official was sloppy. I would much rather see the wing official hustle into the dead ball spot. It should always be more accurate.

Rulesman

Most of the time this is necessary because the wing can't get in any further because of players being in the way. Ever hear of "pinch until you meet resistance?"  What are you good my to do? Run around them?  ??? You don't have to be standing on the DB spot to get an accurate read.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

To the untrained person, it looks wrong. But believe me its the proper mechanics and the most accurate way to bring the ball to the official that has the DB spot. And it especially looks wrong when that spot is on the sideline across field from chains and they have to bring chains over to DB spot.  I had to explain to several fans the other night that was the correct way to do it and also how it's done correctly to insure an accurate measurement. The only variable is how straight the yard lines are on the field. If you're on a natural grass field and the groundskeeper cant make a straight line, then you get as accurate as you can. I have been on those fields too many times.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas