• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Buren Boys Job

Started by Potbelly, May 25, 2016, 09:31:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Potbelly

Anyone heard any rumblings or updates on the search for a new Van Buren boys basketball coach?

BigMan15

Potbelly

That would seem to put Trent in a very tough spot.  He has certainly had success at Pea Ridge, but I'm not sure he is quite ready to jump into a 7A job.

basketballjones

He will have a very good team next year and will get out of regionals and make a deep run in state so I would think he stays put

Brian G

NWA Hawg

Potbelly

I heard they interviewed 4 or 5 coaches yesterday morning and were to make a decision last night.  Not sure who was interviewed.

Grizzlyfan

Word on the street is that it will be the former(?) Little Rock Christian coach. Trembley?

Potbelly

Wow.  That's a disappointing hire in my opinion.  Must not have been a deep pool of applicants...

InfamousTruth

Quote from: Potbelly on June 02, 2016, 10:02:53 am
Wow.  That's a disappointing hire in my opinion.  Must not have been a deep pool of applicants...

If this is true why would it be disappointing? Trembley is a good coach.

Potbelly

Quote from: InfamousTruth on June 02, 2016, 01:01:55 pm
If this is true why would it be disappointing? Trembley is a good coach.

Not much of a track record of consistently winning at a high level as a head coach.  His team's record last year was 10-11.  What gives you confidence he is a good coach?  I admittedly do not know him, so am open to examining the evidence both ways.

InfamousTruth

Quote from: Potbelly on June 02, 2016, 02:13:07 pm
Not much of a track record of consistently winning at a high level as a head coach.  His team's record last year was 10-11.  What gives you confidence he is a good coach?  I admittedly do not know him, so am open to examining the evidence both ways.

I understand that. He has college coaching experience. Several state tournament appearances in an incredibly tough league and his teams always compete hard.

Potbelly

Quote from: InfamousTruth on June 02, 2016, 02:49:40 pm
I understand that. He has college coaching experience. Several state tournament appearances in an incredibly tough league and his teams always compete hard.

Wasn't his college coaching experience only as a Graduate Assistant?  I know of several GA's that became high school coaches that never really had much success, however, there have been some that have been successful.  I'm just stating that being a "college" coach doesn't always translate to success.  I feel like the validity of making the state tournament has been diminished in 5A, 6A, and 7A because there aren't many teams in those classifications.  I personally don't like seeing teams under .500 getting into the State Tournament, but that's just the way it shakes out sometimes due to not having as many teams in the larger classifications.  I think he deserves a shot to earn the respect of the people in Van Buren, just as any coach would, but it just doesn't appear to be the hire many were hoping for....at least not on paper.  The league he will be stepping into (if he is who they hire) will be even tougher than the league he is coming from.

InfamousTruth

Quote from: Potbelly on June 02, 2016, 04:19:43 pm
Wasn't his college coaching experience only as a Graduate Assistant?  I know of several GA's that became high school coaches that never really had much success, however, there have been some that have been successful.  I'm just stating that being a "college" coach doesn't always translate to success.  I feel like the validity of making the state tournament has been diminished in 5A, 6A, and 7A because there aren't many teams in those classifications.  I personally don't like seeing teams under .500 getting into the State Tournament, but that's just the way it shakes out sometimes due to not having as many teams in the larger classifications.  I think he deserves a shot to earn the respect of the people in Van Buren, just as any coach would, but it just doesn't appear to be the hire many were hoping for....at least not on paper.  The league he will be stepping into (if he is who they hire) will be even tougher than the league he is coming from.

He was the associate head coach while at UCA not just a GA. He'll at least have a chance with decent talent his teams at LRC could never really match the talent level at Jacksonville or Maumell.

Potbelly

Quote from: InfamousTruth on June 02, 2016, 04:44:20 pm
He was the associate head coach while at UCA not just a GA. He'll at least have a chance with decent talent his teams at LRC could never really match the talent level at Jacksonville or Maumell.

Yes, from what I hear, he will have some potential talent coming in the sophomore class. 

Brian G

I trust that Coach Loyd can hire a good choice.

InfamousTruth

Quote from: B.G. on June 02, 2016, 04:58:36 pm
I trust that Coach Loyd can hire a good choice.

This is accurate

Brian G

Pipedream1

Congrats to Austin! He will work tirelessly to maintain the standard.

InfamousTruth

TNT_15

Quote from: InfamousTruth on June 02, 2016, 04:44:20 pm
Match the talent? Last year LRC has a 7 foot center who as a sophomore has an offer from ualr. a Freshman who had an offer from Arkansas. Lrc best senior is going to ouachita for basketball and not even to mention the D1 football player in the starting line up. 4/5 starters on Lrca had offers to play college athletics. Lrc also beat Maumelle @Maumelle.

TNT_15

On a diffrent note what happened to VB coach? I.e. Fire or retire

jking7

June 08, 2016, 06:35:38 am #22 Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:39:07 am by jking7
Quote from: TNT_15 on June 08, 2016, 02:24:39 am
On a diffrent note what happened to VB coach? I.e. Fire or retire
. He retired after 22 years with VB and is now the full time Athletic Director.

Chip

disappointing hire in my humble opinion, does anybody know who the other applicants were?

Potbelly

June 08, 2016, 09:37:29 am #24 Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:39:13 am by Potbelly
I live across the river in Fort Smith, but what I'm hearing is that they interviewed coaches from Greenbrier, one from Oklahoma (I believe Pocola), and two current Van Buren coaches (not sure which two).  I'm not sure how many applicants they had.  From what I understand, there was a pretty proven coach that was interested that recently accepted a job in NWA, and if it's who I heard it was, it would have been a pretty solid hire.  Only time will tell if they made the right choice in hiring Trembley.

Chin Music

Trembley's teams play incredibly hard.  Look back a few years at LRCA when there was no basketball talent and his teams fought their way into playoff spots.  If you are a big fan of zone defense then you will not like him.  He is an old school tough coach even though he is young in his career.  Just my opinion but the last couple of years at LRCA there was a clash of ideals with the basketball coach and some of the players and parents.  Private school parents can be a different type of parent to please.

Im sure he did some things he wishes he could do differently, but I would love for a coach like Trembley to coach my son.

Eagle20

I think Van Buren got lucky.  The guy is as good as gold and is a heckuva coach.  LRCA made a mistake but their loss.  You won't be disappointed if you want your team playing good solid defense and team offense and a coach that will be the example of a man you would want your sons to emulate!

TNT_15

Quote from: Eagle20 on June 29, 2016, 12:17:48 am
I think Van Buren got lucky.  The guy is as good as gold and is a heckuva coach.  LRCA made a mistake but their loss.  You won't be disappointed if you want your team playing good solid defense and team offense and a coach that will be the example of a man you would want your sons to emulate!
Guess we will have to see

jking7

December 23, 2016, 11:22:33 am #28 Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:57:43 pm by jking7
It's going to be hard to know for sure year 1 this VB team was expected to be down from last year but they are a young team so we will see what kind of job he can do.

no mascot

When was trembley an associate head coach?

TNT_15

March 04, 2017, 02:08:27 am #30 Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:48:35 am by TNT_15
p

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas