• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State Championship Games

Started by unfaceable, October 29, 2015, 08:25:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

unfaceable

What are everyone's picks for these games? Even if you're unsure, I would love to hear guesses on these games!

3A
Paris vs. Atkins

4A
Shiloh Christian vs. Mena

5A
Batesville vs. Valley View

6A
Greenwood vs. Marion

7A
Springdale Har-Ber vs. Fayetteville

Vballfan

Quote from: unfaceable on October 29, 2015, 08:25:52 pm
What are everyone's picks for these games? Even if you're unsure, I would love to hear guesses on these games!

3A
Paris vs. Atkins

4A
Shiloh Christian vs. Mena

5A
Batesville vs. Valley View

6A
Greenwood vs. Marion

7A
Springdale Har-Ber vs. Fayetteville

Marion, Valley View, Mena, Paris, Faytteville

Batesville played really well at the end of the year when I saw them  vs Cabot, maybe they can give Valley View a match. 

Good luck to all

sevenof400

While I hate to beat a dead horse, how I would love to see an Overall Championship in VB like they used to do in basketball.  That would be an event!

unfaceable

I couldn't agree more! That would be a LOT of fun!

Vballfan

Quote from: unfaceable on October 29, 2015, 09:10:45 pm

As long as we are talking about what ifs, let's have the tourney every year in a central location where all the teams or at least a couple classes can play. I think the infamous Valley suggested Russellville last year, I'll suggest Conway in the Farris Center and Prince Center if it could be scheduled. or at UALR or even at the convention center on sport courts. Build some tradition around it. The state volleyball tournament in Iowa is a big deal, it's in the same location every year and has been for over 30 years. Bidding  for home court advantage seems a little unfair and frankly not that exciting to go to the favorites home court most years place to play.

unfaceable

I think this is also a great idea. However, you will still have "home" team advantages depending upon the city it is held in, but I do think it would create a much more exciting atmosphere and it would make it easier for people to enjoy all levels of the game instead of just the classification their team plays in! I would love to be able to watch all of the tournament games instead of only watching one classification!

Vballfan

Quote from: unfaceable on October 29, 2015, 10:25:19 pm
I think this is also a great idea. However, you will still have "home" team advantages depending upon the city it is held in, but I do think it would create a much more exciting atmosphere and it would make it easier for people to enjoy all levels of the game instead of just the classification their team plays in! I would love to be able to watch all of the tournament games instead of only watching one classification!

But central Arkansas is for the most part neutral. No teams in the finals :)

RTF

Paris, Mena, Valley, Greenwood, Fayetteville

moe99expedition

I also have Paris, Mena, Valley, Greenwood, Fayetteville.

As for Tournament play it would be cool to have it either at one of the universities or at a venue where all classes can play both tournament play and championship in the same location.

1-Adam-12

October 30, 2015, 09:16:30 am #9 Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:19:49 am by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: Vballfan on October 29, 2015, 09:39:27 pm

As long as we are talking about what ifs, let's have the tourney every year in a central location where all the teams or at least a couple classes can play. I think the infamous Valley suggested Russellville last year, I'll suggest Conway in the Farris Center and Prince Center if it could be scheduled. or at UALR or even at the convention center on sport courts. Build some tradition around it. The state volleyball tournament in Iowa is a big deal, it's in the same location every year and has been for over 30 years. Bidding  for home court advantage seems a little unfair and frankly not that exciting to go to the favorites home court most years place to play.

That is a great idea.  The organizers of the individual class tournaments usually do a great job, but the problem this year with all but 7A was the location of the tournaments.

Piggott did a very good job hosting 3A, for example.  Facilities were good.  I liked the quaintness of their old 1963 gym where we played the first match.  It ended up creating a very nice atmosphere, and the newer auditorium was good as well.

The trouble was, when you throw in stops to eat, stretch, etc., it was a 7-hour trip to Paragould (where we stayed) and a further 40 minutes or so to the venue.

I'm sure the folks from NEA's 4A contingent would have many of the same comments regarding Mena, and the 6A for Greenwood.  No question that those facilities are nice and the admin does a fine job. It's just the travel.

As far as the matches themselves, I too will go with Paris/Mena/Valley View/Greenwood/Fayetteville.  Good luck to all.

Marionvolleyballdad

In the 6A State Championship I like Marion.  I feel that defense will win the game and because of that I give the nod to Marion.  Both teams have plenty of offense.  It should be a great match.

KingOfNothing

3A: Paris in 4.
4A: Shiloh Christian in 5.
5A: Valley View in 3.
6A: Greenwood in 5.
7A: Fayetteville in 4.

Casual Observer

Is there anywhere online or radio to follow the championship game?

Brian G

Tim Cooper & Paul Boyd are tweeting from the event. 

You can follow Paul @nwapaulb
You can follow Tim  @adgtim

I know of no other way.  FYI, VV won the first set over Batesville.

KingOfNothing

NFHSNetwork.com will have live video coverage of all games.

Casual Observer

KingOfNothing

Brian G

KingOfNothing

Marion beat Greenwood in 3. They made Greenwood look way less talented than they actually are. Unbelievable! You could tell from the start that Marion had a great game plan and had the athletes to carry it out. Their defense was on a whole other level and they shut down Greenwood's hitters with their blocks. It was extremely impressive to watch!

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Marionvolleyballdad on October 30, 2015, 09:43:20 am
In the 6A State Championship I like Marion.  I feel that defense will win the game and because of that I give the nod to Marion.  Both teams have plenty of offense.  It should be a great match.

From what I heard that's exactly what happened.  Nice call and congrats.

Marionvolleyballdad

The Marion vs Greenwood game was awesome!!   Greenwood has a great team and great hitters.  I knew that Marion has a great all around team.  They have 2 of the best defensive players in 6A or maybe the state in Diane Phillips and Hope Phipps.  Defense was the difference in the game today as Marion was able to attack Greenwood's defense and keep their front line out of balance.  Congratulations to Greenwood on a great season.  I'm sure a good rivalry has begun between these 2 great programs.  Congratulations to Marion today as they became the 6A State Champions.  Congratulations to Diane Phillips for being selected as the MVP of the tournament.

ricepig

Congrats on the championship, Marion.

Marionvolleyballdad

KingOfNothing

3A - Paris wins in 3 over Atkins.

4A - Shiloh Christian wins in 3 over Mena.

5A - Valley View wins in 4 over Batesville.

6A - Marion wins in 3 over Greenwood.

7A - Fayetteville wins in 5 over Har-Ber.

Anyone surprised by any of these outcomes? Anyone who was there want to share any thoughts on these games!?

Vballfan

Not surprised by the outcome, but perhaps the manner in which Marion won in terns if sets and scores.  Congrats to them

Mena seemed like the favorite in 4A so maybe a surprise there.

2016 way too early predictions:
Repeat champs in 5A-7A. 3 young teams won championships this year! 

KingOfNothing

Agreed! I was surprised by how Marion beat Greenwood. I didn't expect that. I did think Shiloh would win, but I didn't expect it to be in 3 sets. Sounds like they handled Mena with ease this year.

I would have to agree with you on the 5A-7A. It's gonna be tough for anyone to beat those teams going forward!

Brian G

After being the best team in the state all year, Fayetteville came from down 2-1 in the semi's and the finals to claim their title.

Overall quality of play in 7A is really good.

AllStarSportsFan

Greenwood hosted 6A state in 2012 and 2015 and made it to the championship round.  They lost in the championship round in 3 both times.

Mena hosted 4A state in 2013 and 2015 and made it to the championship round.  They lost in the championship round in 3 both times.

Having a home field advantage may help you at home to get to the chamionship game.

I'm sure there are other examples.

Someone brought up the locations of these state tournaments (not finals).  In the two mentioned above, Polk and Sebastian Counties adjoin Oklahoma.  It seems every year "border" counties host state tournaments (not just in volleyball either).  3A volleyball tournament this year was in Piggot which is in Clay County and adjoins Missouri.  Maybe the AAA likes the hospitality suites in some towns over others  8).  Oh, I know it's all bid on fairly, j/k.

Vballfan

Quote from: AllStarSportsFan on November 01, 2015, 06:39:43 pm
Greenwood hosted 6A state in 2012 and 2015 and made it to the championship round.  They lost in the championship round in 3 both times.

Mena hosted 4A state in 2013 and 2015 and made it to the championship round.  They lost in the championship round in 3 both times.

Having a home field advantage may help you at home to get to the chamionship game.

Someone brought up the locations of these state tournaments (not finals).  In the two mentioned above, Polk and Sebastian Counties adjoin Oklahoma.  It seems every year "border" counties host state tournaments (not just in volleyball either).  3A volleyball tournament this year was in Piggot which is in Clay County and adjoins Missouri.  Maybe the AAA likes the hospitality suites in some towns over others  8).  Oh, I know it's all bid on fairly, j/k.

Don't the schools that think they can win typically bid for it?  I'll guess Har-Ber or Bentonville to host next year, Marion, Jonesboro or Benton to host 6A and unless Valley View can host back to back - Batesville in 5A. Or maybe Nettleton.

sevenof400

Ironic isn't it that Mena won in 2014 - when Lonoke hosted the early rounds....

moe99expedition

First Congrats to Fayetteville for winning 7A state championship!! How about state championships be held in one venue for all classes. I can see Little Rock or maybe at the U of A.

sevenof400

Quote from: moe99expedition on November 02, 2015, 08:45:04 am
First Congrats to Fayetteville for winning 7A state championship!! How about state championships be held in one venue for all classes. I can see Little Rock or maybe at the U of A.

If you are talking about every round of play in the state tournaments, that would be a lot of games on the first day of play.  You would need 5 courts at the absolute minimum - and more likely 10 to allow for warm up - I don't think even the Little Rock area could handle that.  And then there would be the matter of who would host...

moe99expedition

But it would be good for all divisions! Scouting, transportation, fans, etc. Maybe just semi-finals and championship games?

AllStarSportsFan

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 01, 2015, 07:24:58 pm

It helped Mena when Valley View moved up to 5A. 

Vballfan

Quote from: moe99expedition on November 02, 2015, 09:07:37 am
But it would be good for all divisions! Scouting, transportation, fans, etc. Maybe just semi-finals and championship games?

Love, love this idea. NW AR, Jonesboeo or Conway/little rock. Somewhere with good club volleyball numbers which could help with fan support and Intersest. Hot springs is a good venue, but I don't see a local fan following ever really developing there.

sevenof400

Quote from: AllStarSportsFan on November 02, 2015, 06:56:57 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on November 01, 2015, 07:24:58 pm

It helped Mena when Valley View moved up to 5A.

And other teams too - not so much in the 5A though...

Valleysports

Russellville has a very nice new gym, next to what I thought was a nice gym, next to the two practice gyms.  Maybe they'll host the playoffs again.

IAFLAR7

It's awesome. All the tournaments except football are centrally located in Iowa. It's a great atmosphere. All classes, different days each day of the week with your finals on the last day(s) of the week. You make state & you go there until you lose. Attendance ends up being better as it ends up being such a big attraction that more people end up looking forward to it and attending. There is no way (other than just not wanting to change) that it would not work. Iowa and other states have done it forever.

TheOfficial

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on November 03, 2015, 09:16:30 am

It's awesome. All the tournaments except football are centrally located in Iowa. It's a great atmosphere. All classes, different days each day of the week with your finals on the last day(s) of the week. You make state & you go there until you lose. Attendance ends up being better as it ends up being such a big attraction that more people end up looking forward to it and attending. There is no way (other than just not wanting to change) that it would not work. Iowa and other states have done it forever.

Iowa?  Where's that?

RTF

Quote from: Valleysports on November 02, 2015, 10:38:02 pm
Russellville has a very nice new gym, next to what I thought was a nice gym, next to the two practice gyms.  Maybe they'll host the playoffs again.
[/quote/]

If I remember correctly, when they built that new gym, they had to install a pumping system in the basement to keep the water out. I believe they built it on top of a natural spring or something like that.

Valleysports

Never heard that story, but I know it's one gorgeous gym - on a hill above ground. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas