• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The End of the Jacksonville Red Devil

Started by SantaHog, October 08, 2015, 10:14:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lions84

FD4

I have seen this thing before, and as sad as it is, it has nothing to do with the sports but everything to do with classroom performance.  If you don't make the grade, or squander your funds, or simply move students ahead without merit, you lose your school to another district.  So, my question is who in the world in the Board of Education decided Jacksonville would be taken in by North Pulaski?  This more about politics than the best interest of the student, someone should look deeper into this than just us Joe Shmoe Never Was's.

But, if you have to go, you lose your mascot.  That's been the trend before.  I suspect this to be no different.

Lions84

GuvHog

Quote from: FD4 on July 08, 2016, 09:58:07 am
I have seen this thing before, and as sad as it is, it has nothing to do with the sports but everything to do with classroom performance.  If you don't make the grade, or squander your funds, or simply move students ahead without merit, you lose your school to another district.  So, my question is who in the world in the Board of Education decided Jacksonville would be taken in by North Pulaski?  This more about politics than the best interest of the student, someone should look deeper into this than just us Joe Shmoe Never Was's.

But, if you have to go, you lose your mascot.  That's been the trend before.  I suspect this to be no different.

Neither school is taking in the other. Both school boards have mutually agreed to merge their schools into one large district. Both schools are losing their mascots.

FD4

If that be the case, that is a pill that is a little easier to swallow.  But I fail to see, and perhaps because I am not that familiar with the region, how Jacksonville and North Pulaski are close enough to merge.  Is NP that close to Jacks or what?  In the end, a new mascot should be a tie together so as to dispense with any animosity between the former districts.  Like our currency says, "From many, One".  The quality of education is what is most important in the end.  Should an athlete get the grades and opportunity, then they may just have a chance of getting ahead of us "Blue Collar" guys and make a better living for themselves.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FD4 on July 12, 2016, 03:34:17 pm
If that be the case, that is a pill that is a little easier to swallow.  But I fail to see, and perhaps because I am not that familiar with the region, how Jacksonville and North Pulaski are close enough to merge.  Is NP that close to Jacks or what?  In the end, a new mascot should be a tie together so as to dispense with any animosity between the former districts.  Like our currency says, "From many, One".  The quality of education is what is most important in the end.  Should an athlete get the grades and opportunity, then they may just have a chance of getting ahead of us "Blue Collar" guys and make a better living for themselves.

believe North Pulaski high is in the north part of Jacksonville

GuvHog

Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 12, 2016, 04:27:25 pm
believe North Pulaski high is in the north part of Jacksonville

Correct. The 2 campuses are not very far apart.

x14113

Quote from: GuvHog on July 15, 2016, 01:56:00 pm
Correct. The 2 campuses are not very far apart.

In fact, if you look at a map, you'll see that Jacksonville High is on a slightly more northern latitude than the old North Pulaski campus.

Speaking of NP, does anyone know what will become of that place now that the high school is shut down?

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: x14113 on July 17, 2016, 10:02:20 am
In fact, if you look at a map, you'll see that Jacksonville High is on a slightly more northern latitude than the old North Pulaski campus.

Speaking of NP, does anyone know what will become of that place now that the high school is shut down?

Jacksonville-North Pulaski Middle School will be housed in the former North Pulaski High School building.

Red Devil Alum

The Titans doesn't excite me as an alumni of JHS.

Rayburn

July 25, 2016, 04:14:19 pm #60 Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:16:35 pm by Rayburn
Quote from: FD4 on July 08, 2016, 09:58:07 am

This process has been going on for 30 years. The citizens of Jacksonville have been trying to get out of Pulaski County and get their own district for decades. Deseg laws have prevented it. Now it's finally happening.
Neither Jacksonville nor North Pulaski were their own district or had their own school board. They were both part of PCSSD. Both high schools are inside Jacksonville city limits, though not all NP students live within the new district boundaries, and those that don't will stay in PCSSD.
I don't know where you got your information, or if you were just jumping to conclusions and rattling off, but this is most definitely in the best interest of students. PCSSD has been a mess for a long time.
Sylvan Hills will be next, and if that doesn't finally collapse PCSSD, when Maumelle breaks away too, it will finally fold.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on October 10, 2015, 01:31:17 pm
Devil Falcons sounds cool, kind of like Morrilton's Devil Dogs - speaking of, is there a story behind that one?

Because they are pagans.

Seriously though, it's a cool mascot.  I think they should give their dog mascot 2 more heads.  Then they should play Conway every year - it would be a battle between a 3-headed dog and a 6-legged cat.

Lions84

Redwolves8526

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on August 26, 2016, 01:54:01 pm
Because they are pagans.

Seriously though, it's a cool mascot.  I think they should give their dog mascot 2 more heads.  Then they should play Conway every year - it would be a battle between a 3-headed dog and a 6-legged cat.

That would be cool! Like Cerebus, that dog that guards the underworld, if I spelled it right. Or Fluffy, for us Harry Potter fans.

But yeah, IMO they should have made it Devil Falcons, perfect merging. Titans just comes out of nowhere, but I guess it's alright.

Lions84

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on September 10, 2016, 07:56:45 am
That would be cool! Like Cerebus, that dog that guards the underworld, if I spelled it right. Or Fluffy, for us Harry Potter fans.

But yeah, IMO they should have made it Devil Falcons, perfect merging. Titans just comes out of nowhere, but I guess it's alright.

Yep that would be cool too.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas