• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Red Wolves Coach

Started by SportsFan23, December 07, 2012, 07:53:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SportsFan23

It will be a big mistake if the ASU AD does not go after John Thompson for the full time job. He is a great defensive coach, and comes from a great coaching tree. He has coached under Nutt, Sabin and Spurrier. He has head coaching experience and he is from Eastern Arkansas.

Astate37

Word is some of the other candidates would be on board with keeping his as dc if they were hired. He wants to stay in Jonesboro.

dc24

All for him staying on as DC, but not sure about giving him the head job.

Peety

Bobby Petrino's name is in the mix. Don't know how I feel about that

fastdrop

December 08, 2012, 02:13:24 pm #4 Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:16:29 pm by fastdrop
you saw hiom coach the Hogs to a number 3 ranking which is an absolute miracle in itself..... then you saw the team that was in the mix for a SEC championship.... NC contender lose all but 4 games without him.

If he wants to coach at ASU .... you would be a complete fool to say no.

No Doubt about it ..... ASU would have the best coach in the State 2 years in a row.

Peety

You're right. But after all these 1 and done coaches, we need a coach that will stay for a while.

I'd take him. But we will catch a ton of flack for it

fastdrop

Only flack you will hear is from the Razorback folks. Believe me they don't want Petrino at ASU.

Lionheart88

Petrino's a train wreck who can't be trusted to tell you the color of the sky.  Why would you want him?  Or was no one paying attention when he got fired for hiring his mistress and lying to his boss about it a mere eight months ago?

fastdrop

Auburn just hired a liar. I figure the Hogs just hired one too. I have been told all college coaches are giving a free pass for being a bunch of lying cockroaches. SO, what is your point.

Lionheart88

Well, Petrino clearly wasn't given a free pass since he got fired.  So maybe you've been misled.

fastdrop

I guess you forgot about Louisville and Atlanta.... Hogs were all in.

Lionheart88

No, he proved himself pretty darn untrustworthy while he was at Louisville and Atlanta too.  When your players find out you're at a new job by seeng the press conference they doesn't win you any points in my book.  Just because it took him a while to really get caught in the act doesn't make it any better.

ricepig

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 08, 2012, 06:31:45 pm
No, he proved himself pretty darn untrustworthy while he was at Louisville and Atlanta too.  When your players find out you're at a new job by seeng the press conference they doesn't win you any points in my book.  Just because it took him a while to really get caught in the act doesn't make it any better.

You do know that Arthur Blank  forbid him to address the team? The same man who fired Dan Reeves with 3 games left in the season, saying it was time for a change right now?

dc24

I don't want Bobby Petrino anywhere near ASU.

True Believer

NO to Bobby Petrino.  I don't care how good of a coach he may be.  Absolutely not.

sevenof400

This will be an interesting hire because expectations have increased as a result of the success that Freeze and Malzahn brought to Jonesboro.  I actually think that success will work against ASU in this process because if there is a dip in the WL record, the coach will likely get the blame for that.  It is hard to see a D1 AC looking to move into a HC role taking this position because any success the team may enjoy for the next year or two will likely be attributed to Freeze and Malzahn.

So what is ASU to do?  I'd say they need to find a DII HC ready to move up a level.  I don't have any names to throw out there as I am not that interested in who ASU gets as much as I am in seeing the direction the program defines for itself with this hire. 

Is it possible that ASU would find another (likely) 1 year and done hire?  That route has been pretty good for the last couple of years for the university.  I'm sure the university would prefer to find a coach who would stay for a longer period but if (emphasis on the if) the current hiring theory continues to produce success, who can argue with that?

athletic supporter

ASU should hire Clint Conque

ricepig

Quote from: True Believer on December 09, 2012, 07:44:10 am
NO to Bobby Petrino.  I don't care how good of a coach he may be.  Absolutely not.

Well, Fowler wants him, it will be interesting to see if he wins out over the smaller money people. They have been giving longer, but he gave/gives more.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: athletic supporter on December 09, 2012, 08:27:06 am
ASU should hire Clint Conque
Don't knock Petrino for his baggage and then want Conque. Same baggage.

sevenof400

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 09, 2012, 11:32:47 am
...Don't knock Petrino for his baggage and then want Conque. Same baggage.

...not true. 

No motorcycle involved.....    ;D

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 09, 2012, 11:53:16 am

...not true. 

Getting his tail kicked by his wife in front of players and coaches was about as embarrassing.

sevenof400

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 09, 2012, 12:01:43 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on December 09, 2012, 11:53:16 am

...not true. 

Getting his tail kicked by his wife in front of players and coaches was about as embarrassing.

Or deserved....richly deserved.  Too bad Becky Petrino didn't select that option....

Peety

People make mistakes. Rick Pitino did about the same thing that bobby did and is now still a premiere coach.

I would take Petrino in a heartbeat. He will not mess up again. Give the guy a chance. He knows he would be on thin ice. Plus the man may have changed, you never know. His pride took a big hit....we will see what happens.

sevenof400

I get what you are saying Peety but that was not Petrino's first screwup.  His is a history of untrustworthy deeds.....

nuttinbuthogs

Did somebody say Malzahn had left ASU?  That is strange, because I thought he said he was not a one and done type guy? 

True Believer

No, no, no.  IF you want to talk about GM,  go to the SEC board and post it there.

Uncle Ivan

What a fall it would be for Petrino.  From big time SEC football to D-AA.

True Believer

sevenof400

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 09, 2012, 07:16:38 pm

At this point, it would be a major step up for Petrino...an unemployed coach...

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 09, 2012, 07:59:54 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 09, 2012, 07:16:38 pm

At this point, it would be a major step up for Petrino...an unemployed coach...

Depends on how badly he wants to work.  I understand he's lost weight, looks older.

dc24

Quote from: Peety on December 09, 2012, 01:55:01 pm
People make mistakes. Rick Pitino did about the same thing that bobby did and is now still a premiere coach.

I would take Petrino in a heartbeat. He will not mess up again. Give the guy a chance. He knows he would be on thin ice. Plus the man may have changed, you never know. His pride took a big hit....we will see what happens.

I honestly don't care.  I don't want that man anywhere near my university.  I know he can coach, but he's a terrible person and even harder to work with than Malzahn was.  I don't want any part of him.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: dc24 on December 09, 2012, 10:16:25 pm
but he's a terrible person

In that case, he's a good fit with the aswallow fanbase.

AirWarren

Quote from: fastdrop on December 08, 2012, 05:02:49 pm
Auburn just hired a liar. I figure the Hogs just hired one too. I have been told all college coaches are giving a free pass for being a bunch of lying cockroaches. SO, what is your point.

Buy some better grapes than the sour ones you have toward the hogs and their hire.

Uncle Ivan

Rhett Lashlee - the new ASU HC.

iliveformarch

Uncle Ivan yea the same A State that was better than your Hogs this year. And Lashlee is the OC at Auburn now...... Ever heard of facts? You come off as the typical unrealistic Arkansas fan. We are what we are. We will consistently never be as good as Uga, Florida, lsu, and bama

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: dc24 on December 09, 2012, 10:16:25 pm
Quote from: Peety on December 09, 2012, 01:55:01 pm

I honestly don't care.  I don't want that man anywhere near my university.  I know he can coach, but he's a terrible person and even harder to work with than Malzahn was.  I don't want any part of him.
I would bet that ASU could care less what you think...

Smithian

Dear Bobby Petrino,

Arkansas State told you no. Time to just hang it up and call it quits.

Sincerely,
Everyone

bleudog

Being reported BP will be the new HC at WKU.

fastdrop

ASU hesitated at the wrong time.... back to a half empty stadium on Saturdays.

Lions84

Well Bobby landed at WKU and ASU better watch out.

Coach Venny Slocombe

ASU had better get ready for some thumpins now...lol... ;D

dc24

I'm glad we passed on him.  Would have just been a big mistake I'm afraid.

True Believer

He won't be there long.  Thank God ASU didn't hire him.

Coach Venny Slocombe

hahahahahahahahahahah...lolololololol

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: iliveformarch on December 10, 2012, 03:55:10 am
Uncle Ivan yea the same A State that was better than your Hogs this year.

I love stupid noobs.

Uncle Ivan

Hoghead

I've heard Ole Miss has offered to dig up Johnny Vaught and loan him out to ASU as Head Coach.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Hoghead on December 11, 2012, 12:51:39 am
I've heard Ole Miss has offered to dig up Johnny Vaught and loan him out to ASU as Head Coach.
lol...omg...

redwolf143

Back to actual rumor, Brian Harsin of Texas is reportedly interviewing.  Guy would be a great hire (managed to put together the 37th best offense even with Mack hamstringing him at every turn).  He'd also stay a while as he's not on the big job radar yet.

Sourmilkstain

Besides the Texas guy, who are the other names? Gotta be some rumors out there flying around w/the geese & duck over Craighead County.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas