• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Albert Camus

Started by Wampus_Cat, February 09, 2010, 10:00:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus_Cat

Y'all like him?

Reading the Stranger right now

Romeo

I read the guest last semester. A lot of his works are used at many universities because it can provide a lot of deep discussion. He was a real proponent of existentialism.

RGP

Although I completely disagree with Camus, I enjoyed The Stranger.

SandLizard04

It's been wayyyyy too long since I read any of his stuff. I generally enjoy it, though.

SingleWingGuru

February 15, 2010, 05:29:43 pm #4 Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:31:28 pm by Jeremy2653 (SWG)
The Myth of Sisyphus is by far his best work.

I tend to disagree with those that call him a Theological Existentialist.  I just don't see it.  He was a self proclaimed atheist, and the Camus paradox is too widely used to support theological existentialism.  Kierkegaard stands alone and is strong enough he doesn't need Camus to prove t.e.

Wampus_Cat

It seems that, yes simple existentialism will do.

And I must've posted while drunk, because I was going to have people recommend other Camus books and say...

I liked the Stranger, but it didn't live up to the rave reviews. At some points it seemed almost like an episode of Seinfeld, in good and bad ways.

But it was good.

Mike Bonds

I don't like Camus, but that's because I regard existentialism mostly as a post-World War II French pity party.

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: Mike Bonds on August 23, 2010, 08:22:43 am
I don't like Camus, but that's because I regard existentialism mostly as a post-World War II French pity party.
Yes, because Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Dostoyevsky were French post-World War II.

The only major ones that were French Post World War II were Sartre and Camus, that I can think of.

Rayburn

Quote from: Wampus_Cat on August 23, 2010, 09:58:27 am
Quote from: Mike Bonds on August 23, 2010, 08:22:43 am
Yes, because Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Dostoyevsky were French post-World War II.

The only major ones that were French Post World War II were Sartre and Camus, that I can think of.
But Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Dostoyevsky weren't called existentialists until sometime post-WWII in France. And as for Kierkegaard and Dostoyevsky, I think those two would have greatly objected to being labeled as such and having their very theistic (even Christian) philosophies usurped by 20th century atheists.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas