• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP NLR vs BRYANT

Started by Brian G, November 24, 2018, 11:23:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

I think NLR wins and I want NLR to win
31 (47.7%)
I think NLR wins and I want Bryant to win
25 (38.5%)
I think Bryant wins and I want Bryant to win
9 (13.8%)
I think Bryant wins but I want NLR to win
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: November 30, 2018, 11:24:08 am

Brian G

November 24, 2018, 11:23:00 am Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:30:05 am by B.G.
NLR vs Bryant

Baitshop

NLR won't have 3 first quarter TO's....

My boy Mack's Chuggin' Kitties by 2 TD's...

WestTiger

I think NLR wins walking away but don't really care who wins this game. 

PA Dad

I think Bryant will make it a game of it for three quarters but NLR pulls away in the fourth.  I think Bait is about right - NLR by 14.

Walter

I have faith in this Bryant team. There is a reason they make them play the game.

The sad truth is Bryant players do not get the "coaching" needed to win.
little or no film study with players.
Buck picks the last game w/ NLR and maybe one more.  Makes game plan and refuses to adjust.
That is a big difference between uncle buck and "Winning Coaches".
Others will make in-game adjustments.  Work with players before and throuout the game to make adjustments. Buck is too hard-headed.
This will keep him from winning unless he meets up with the likes of dave king at baesville (that gave him his only ring at Fairview).

Walter

You obviously have never seen Coach James coach or watched Bryant play. Go back to the 5A board where you belong.

Hornet-Hawg

I guess i should be investigating to see where my son is going when he says he has "film study"! He has obviously been lying to me all season!

PA Dad

Quote from: SardisHog on November 25, 2018, 09:09:11 pm
You obviously have never seen Coach James coach or watched Bryant play. Go back to the 5A board where you belong.

He is not a 5A guy.  We're all better than that.

Razorback Red

Back from vacation, was weird being out of pocket for quarters and semi's. 

Congrats to both teams for making it to the Rock!

Hard to go against the grain on this one.  I expect it to be a battle, but will go NLR by 10. 

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Quote from: #5 on November 25, 2018, 07:51:56 pm
The sad truth is Bryant players do not get the "coaching" needed to win.
little or no film study with players.
Buck picks the last game w/ NLR and maybe one more.  Makes game plan and refuses to adjust.
That is a big difference between uncle buck and "Winning Coaches".
Others will make in-game adjustments.  Work with players before and throuout the game to make adjustments. Buck is too hard-headed.
This will keep him from winning unless he meets up with the likes of dave king at baesville (that gave him his only ring at Fairview).

I would think Coach James has done a fair enough job seeing as he has elevated the program to back to back double digit win seasons, which has not been done in a while. I do not think Bryant is just teeming with superior talent to everyone else. I would venture to say Coach James is only bested by Coach Mitchell in 7A, and even that is arguable. When is the last time Bryant has made it to War Memorial Stadium?

Hornet-Hawg

Quote from: GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over on November 26, 2018, 11:12:59 am
I would think Coach James has done a fair enough job seeing as he has elevated the program to back to back double digit win seasons, which has not been done in a while. I do not think Bryant is just teeming with superior talent to everyone else. I would venture to say Coach James is only bested by Coach Mitchell in 7A, and even that is arguable. When is the last time Bryant has made it to War Memorial Stadium?

Bryant had never even made the semifinals before Coach James and he has taken them there all three years.  As for making it to WMS, this will be the third time this year... ;D

JadeGhost

No doubt, these are the best two teams in 7A this year. It doesn't always work that way, but the championship has the top 2. It will be a war for sure. Both teams are built similar, have GREAT coaching staffs, and great players.

Both teams will have to play their best to beat the other. It sounds cliche, but the turnover margin will probably be key. When these two teams met a little over a month ago, Bryant won the turnover margin 2-1 (excluding turnovers on downs), but NLR was still able to find a way to win.

NLR Pros:
-Runs the ball incredibly well. Teams, including Bryant, have stacked 8,9 & even 10 guys in the box and still haven't stopped NLR's run game for 4 quarters.
-Their defense has been heavily tested through the air the last two weeks and has improved tremendously on stopping the pass. This should help them defend better against a talented/balanced offense in Bryant.
-Experience...you can say "It's just another", but let's be real...it's not. State Championship games are a bigger stage, and NLR has made it the norm. If they can find a way to stay hungry through the normalcy, this will be an advantage for them.

NLR Cons:
-Their kicking game is still shaky. It could have cost them against Bryant earlier in the year when their kicker missed NLR's last extra point.
-NLR's passing game has been there when they've needed it this year, but can it dig them out of another hole if they find themselves there again against the Hornets?

Bryant Pros:
-Many see Bryant as a flashy pass team, but their passing game is really an accent to their impressive run game. Both of their backs have speed, power, and can find running lanes.
-Their defensive front seven may be just as good as NLR's if not a little better. They are big, strong, quick to the ball, and they visibly communicate very well. They shut down NLR in the first quarter five weeks ago. Can they sustain that through four quarters?
-They are hungry. One thing is for sure, Bryant is sick and tired of hearing about NLR. They want to beat the Wildcats more than any team in the state.

Bryant Cons:
-Bryant's QB situation is puzzling to me. They have a senior who starts but often gets benched when adversity hits. Not having someone you completely trust through the ups and downs of a game at the QB position could be problematic for the Hornets in the season's biggest game.
-Again, it may be cliche, but the Hornets have not been on this stage. Will they get too emotionally excited? Can they handle the pressure of a championship game?

It's going to be another classic. I compare it to Bama and Clemson. This rivalry is just getting started.

NLR by 4

STBruin

Quote from: JadeGhost on November 26, 2018, 02:49:13 pm

Bryant Cons:
-Bryant's QB situation is puzzling to me. They have a senior who starts but often gets benched when adversity hits. Not having someone you completely trust through the ups and downs of a game at the QB position could be problematic for the Hornets in the season's biggest game.
-Again, it may be cliche, but the Hornets have not been on this stage. Will they get too emotionally excited? Can they handle the pressure of a championship game?

It's going to be another classic. I compare it to Bama and Clemson. This rivalry is just getting started.

NLR by 4

I agree with the Bryant QB situation...the last 3 or 4 games, they pull the senior and the sophomore comes and leads the offense down the field, and doesnt come back out.  In this game James is not going to have the luxury to give away possessions. Senior QB is a great kid from a great family...but this is the championship game, and he is paid to make decisions that give his team the greatest opportunity to win...so I am eager to see who starts the game.

Walter

Quote from above-Bryant's QB situation is puzzling to me. They have a senior who starts but often gets benched when adversity hits. Not having someone you completely trust through the ups and downs of a game at the QB position could be problematic for the Hornets in the season's biggest game.

Quote from: STBruin on November 26, 2018, 04:46:48 pm
I agree with the Bryant QB situation...the last 3 or 4 games, they pull the senior and the sophomore comes and leads the offense down the field, and doesnt come back out.  In this game James is not going to have the luxury to give away possessions. Senior QB is a great kid from a great family...but this is the championship game, and he is paid to make decisions that give his team the greatest opportunity to win...so I am eager to see who starts the game.

I believe it has been the last two games. Ren stood in the pocket for what seemed like 3 minutes and then got sacked. James replaced him for the rest of the game. Last week the offense was not producing. James replaced Ren with Ledbetter and it ran on all cylinders.

You can only base your dessicions upon how they do in practice. I also think there is a BIG difference in experience level between a sphomore and a senior.

Playing at WM will not be a big deal, playing in the Championship game will be.

AirWarren

Way to go central Arkansas.

Should be a good game.

Live in Saline and remember buck coaching against hembree when he was at Star city and CF. Realistically I should be pulling for Bryant, but I respect the crap out of NLR for overcoming "Little Rock metro" school issues and having a decent school and an athletic program they have pride in. It will be fun. Either one winning is fine by me. Glad it's the 7a Central though!

Best of luck to both teams.

Ventman

businesstron

Just to comment on the Strength of NLR schedule.   Whitehaven, a team NLR beat 46-35 (wasn't as close as the score indicated)  is playing in the 6a State Championship tonight in Tennessee.  Even the other two team they beat in Non confernce made good runs in the playoffs.   It looks like their scheduling worked out well.

Baitshop

JadeGhost

Piggybacking on the comment above about strength of schedule. NLR definitely played 3 very good non-conference teams. All three teams finished the season very well.

RESULTS:
Booker T Washington - highest classification Oklahoma semifinals
Evangel Christian - Louisiana semifinals
Whitehaven - highest classification Tennessee finals

Byrant didn't slouch in their nonconference either. They played 3 good Arkansas teams.

RESULTS:
Benton - In the finals
Bentonville West - Semifinals (lost to NLR)
Fayetteville - Quarterfinals (lost to Bryant)

Both teams played a very good nonconference schedule.

Wanna.be.Baller

Who do you think is going to win the LOS? Do not know much about these teams.

Kevin

Quote from: SardisHog on November 25, 2018, 03:08:25 pm
I have faith in this Bryant team. There is a reason they make them play the game.
As do I

ArgentaNLR

Projected 20+ mph wind gusts tomorrow at War Memorial.  Plays into NLR's game strength at running back.  NLR by 14

AirWarren

Quote from: ArgentaNLR on November 30, 2018, 10:47:14 pm
Projected 20+ mph wind gusts tomorrow at War Memorial.  Plays into NLR's game strength at running back.  NLR by 14

Cancel the game! Not favorable weather!

Walter

Scott and Adams will be much more active as a team this game. A few new wrinkles.

beaverfan007

I hope Bryant wins although I think nlr will win by 7

Hornet-Hawg

Kick the tires and light the fires, big daddy!  I'm on my way to WMS!

The Future

trevster10

AirWarren

RunninJoe

trevster10

trevster10

Bryant sack and fumble return 90 yards for a TD. 27-7 Bryant.

1:06 4Q

PA Dad

December 01, 2018, 09:10:51 pm #33 Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:09:23 pm by PA Dad
Congrats to Bryant on your first championship.  Just a dominating defensive performance.  I would never have believed any team could shut down NLR like that.

trevster10

WonderWartHawg

December 01, 2018, 09:15:37 pm #35 Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:18:10 pm by WonderWartHawg
Wow, Buck James... stay classy.  Remember him from Star City.

Nature Boy

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on December 01, 2018, 09:15:37 pm
Wow, Buck James... stay classy.  Remember him from Star City.

A Buck James disciple (Robert Hooks) will coach in the 3A final next week.

trevster10

Quote from: Baitshop on November 24, 2018, 12:37:27 pm
NLR won't have 3 first quarter TO's....

My boy Mack's Chuggin' Kitties by 2 TD's...

Sup

Walter

That was a great defensive effort by Bryant!!!! 99 is a beast.

PA Dad

Quote from: SardisHog on December 01, 2018, 10:35:42 pm
That was a great defensive effort by Bryant!!!! 99 is a beast.

I agree.  I was way wrong about this game.  That was one of the best defensive efforts I've ever seen.

And that sophomore quarterback is dang good.  I look forward to watching him over the next couple of years.

I think the Central conference is way ahead of the West right now.

Hornet-Hawg

I was cautiously optimistic because I knew last time our mlb #37 was just back from acl and looked tentative plus the olb #39 was hurt and limping. I did not expect that performance tho. Great job!

Maynard G Krebs

Wow.  Did not expect this.  Congrats to The Hornets 🐝

game on

Congrats to the Hornets.  Their defense set the tone early and managed to keep it up.  Great season for NLR, hope to see you back at WM next season.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas